News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Illinois state-name Interstate shields

Started by Alps, May 01, 2012, 09:34:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

I found one, in all my travels, in Chicago. Keeping the exact location secret, but it's on city streets in the maze of canal drawbridges north of the Loop. Are there any other Illinois state-name shields left around the state? Particularly old spec like this one, and not newer.

(For the record, I only found one truly old Illinois shield in all my travels - an IL 1 on a side road - and only one assembly with old US shields, again on a side road in eastern Chicago at US 12/20. So it seems like Illinois gets around to replacing its signs in a very timely manner.)

hbelkins

Quote from: Steve on May 01, 2012, 09:34:12 PM
I found one, in all my travels, in Chicago. Keeping the exact location secret, but it's on city streets in the maze of canal drawbridges north of the Loop. Are there any other Illinois state-name shields left around the state? Particularly old spec like this one, and not newer.

(For the record, I only found one truly old Illinois shield in all my travels - an IL 1 on a side road - and only one assembly with old US shields, again on a side road in eastern Chicago at US 12/20. So it seems like Illinois gets around to replacing its signs in a very timely manner.)

There's a state-named I-80 on the Tollway eastbound. I saw it Saturday evening heading out from Joliet.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

I could swear I've seen some.  But all the places I'm trying on GMSV aren't working out.   :no:
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Brandon

^^ The surface street ones in Chicago are maintained, usually, by CDOT (check the sticker on the back).  CDOT doesn't always get around to replacing signage as often as IDOT.

The one on the Tri-State was put up by ISTHA, and they make their own signage.  ISTHA must have a few in the sign shop in Naperville who think the state name is the way to go, even if it isn't standard in Illinois.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Alex

I know of none outside of Chicago with the exception of an I-290 IL shield on a Tollway mileage guide sign outside Rockford (if it is still there).

Back in 2005, there were at least two mainline I-94 IL's and one mainline I-57 IL in Chicago as well.

There was also this set (replaced soon there after):

agentsteel53

I know of at least 30 or 40 in Chicago, as of February, 2010.  mostly 90s, some 90/94 pairs, some 94 standalone, and about three 55s and two 290s.  no 57s as far as I know.

hint for some ancient 18x18 90s ... check the side streets to a freeway which is no longer numbered 90!

there are one or two 80s in Joliet.

there may be a 39 on the mainline left, but I am not sure.

there was a 90/94 on the mainline Dan Ryan northbound, in the left median, of which one was state named but not the other.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

hobsini2

I know that along 55th St west of Cicero Ave there is still an I-55 shield with Illinois on it by Midway.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Brandon

There's a few 355s in DuPage County.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Stratuscaster

Quote from: agentsteel53 on May 02, 2012, 11:37:45 AM
hint for some ancient 18x18 90s ... check the side streets to a freeway which is no longer numbered 90!
Along with a bonus "TO" - in a circle...

rmsandw

I found a 90 with IL listed and a circle TO in Oak Park a few years back.  THe I-39 shields with Illinois are more common in Mc Lean County on the main line.  Check the Richards St exit and SB on Center St heading towards I-80 at Joliet. 
http://roads.billburmaster.com  Roads of the Mid-South & West
http://www.youtube.com/user/rmsandw YouTube Channel
http://www.billburmaster.com

DevalDragon

I've been on I-39 several times between Bloomington and I-80 and have not seen an Illinois 39 sign. McLean county does look like they have a lot of brand new signs up though. :-(

Quote from: rmsandw on May 04, 2012, 10:50:56 PM
THe I-39 shields with Illinois are more common in Mc Lean County on the main line. 

Revive 755

There's at least one state name I-90 on a guide sign on a Cook County highway at the tollway.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.