Ohio to test variable speed limits in construction zones

Started by 6a, September 24, 2012, 03:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6a

All I can say is it's about time...

http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/apexchange/2012/09/21/oh--road-construction-signs.html

QuoteOhio transportation officials say a new pilot program will use signs that reduce speed limits in some parts of construction zones while allowing traffic to travel at normal speeds elsewhere in those areas.
The Department of Transportation says the Variable Speed Limit program is meant to help protect workers and travelers while reducing congestion and crashes.
Signs with flashing beacons will light up to indicate reduced speed limits in parts of construction zones while workers are exposed to traffic. When workers are gone, the beacons will turn off.
The signs will be tested during road and bridge projects in Franklin, Lake, Lucas and Warren counties. The program is planned to go statewide next year.
ODOT says several other states use similar signs, but it's a first for Ohio.

busman_49

I agree!!!  This should have happened much sooner.

formulanone

If they used these in rural Florida, they would alternate between 20 and 35 miles per hour based on need-of-revenue.

Brandon

Oh, good.  Knowing Ohio, they'll change the limit after you go past.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

1995hoo

Quote from: Brandon on September 25, 2012, 06:49:02 AM

Those of us of a certain age will picture Rosco flipping the sign as the General Lee goes past.

We had variable speed limits on the Beltway in Virginia near where I live for a few years. The experiment failed because people ignored the variable limits. The road is under-posted anyway, so I think that makes people less likely to consider the reason for a variable limit. If the ordinary limit were reasonable, it might (I emphasize "might") cause people to take better notice of a variable limit and say, "Hey, maybe there's a good reason for the lower limit."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

agentsteel53

I just experienced variable speed limits on I-5 in Seattle, and found them to be very sensible. the speed limits were the upper range of how fast traffic was moving, and served basically to prevent people from darting around.

as traffic got heavier, the limit diminished from 60, to 50, to 40, to 30.  at each point, I found myself going about 4-10mph below that limit, and couldn't have gone faster without some pointlessly aggressive driving.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

6a

Quote from: Brandon on September 25, 2012, 06:49:02 AM

That actually brings up an interesting question - how *do* the cops know what the speed limit is at a given time?  If Johnny Law is parked in the median and they change the limit before his location, how would he know?

6a

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 25, 2012, 08:57:58 AM

Those of us of a certain age will picture Rosco flipping the sign as the General Lee goes past.

South Bloomfield, OH had a traffic light controlled by a switch on the 2nd floor balcony of a bar for quite some time.

vtk

I'm certainly glad to see this coming to Ohio.

Quote from: 6a on September 25, 2012, 07:18:22 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on September 25, 2012, 08:57:58 AM

South Bloomfield, OH had a traffic light controlled by a switch on the 2nd floor balcony of a bar for quite some time.

I wasn't aware that town had any two-story buildings...
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

6a

Yeah, it used to be here but burned some time ago.  It was a white building, almost had a general store look to it, if that makes sense.

Alps

NJ Turnpike has variable speed limits, lowered for construction, congestion, weather, or visibility issues. They get along just fine. There's a state police troop (D) dedicated to them, so there's constant communication and the police are always aware of what speed limits are in effect.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.