News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Indiana Highway 41 and 63

Started by aae991, December 19, 2012, 11:43:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aae991

This is my first post on this really fascinating forum.  I'm about to travel from Chicago to Florida in my RV for the Christmas holiday.  In the past I've always taken I-65 through Indiana, but it's in terrible condition - even for my 40' motorhome.  Between pavement ruts and truck debris, it's a very unpleasant ride - even with my air suspension.  I'm thinking of traveling through Indiana on route US 41 and IN 63 down to Evansville to avoid I-65.  Can anyone give me an idea of what the conditions of these roads are?  Is the pavement in decent shape, or are they worn out and heavily rutted?  My experience driving my motorhome on other Indiana two lane highways has been quite positive - plus they're so much more scenic than the interstates!

Thanks for any help or suggestions on this.

Stuart

jnewkirk77

I think most of 41 from Terre Haute to Evansville has been repaved in recent years; the segment from Princeton to I-64 has been getting its makeover this year.

As far as north of Terre Haute goes, I can only speak to the stretch of SR 63 as far north as SR 32.  It wasn't terrible, but could have been better in some places.  That's been a couple of years ago, so it's possible INDOT has had some work done up that way.

All in all, it's not a bad route for RV driving - and that comes from one who is still sorry we gave up our rig!

aae991

Thanks for the report.  I think we'll give it a try and hope for the best.  I-65 is so bad that I'm willing to try anything.  There's also IL 1 about 15 miles to the west that could be used as a backup, but I'd prefer the 4 lane highway if possible.

You should get back into RVing.  There are some amazing prices on used rigs in great shape.  It's still cheaper than flying and, as you know, a lot more fun!

tdindy88

Once you get out of Northwest Indiana, US 41 and Indiana 63 all the way to Terre Haute becomes very quiet traffic wise, so prepare to see a whole lot of nothing in the way of services. The pavement on 41 in Lake and Newton Counties seems to be just fine and through Benton County is okay, although I remember a little bouncyness with the concrete on the stretch of US 41, which is concrete around Boswell. There are some wind turbines in that area so the scenery is a little better than it once was. Once you get onto SR 63 through the travel should be excellent. You can hit 60 on the cruise control and not have to adjust it once until you get to Clinton, which is only 15 miles from Terre Haute.

You will have to travel through Terre Haute on city streets, though it usually takes me less than 15 minutes for that and then you have to pass through some shopping centers (which may become busy the next few days) but south of there it is decent. Generally good pavement and a few stoplights are found in Sullivan County before the highway becomes signial-less in Knox County including a freeway bypass of Vincennes. As mentioned, the stretch from Princeton to Evansville is being worked on last time I checked but there usually isn't any construction this time of year, so travel should be fine. I would reccomend using I-64 and I-164 to bypass Evansville if you have no intention on stopping in town. US 41 in Evansville is a concrete highway that can get congested with the numerous stoplights, bypassing it on 164 skips all of that and brings you to a mile or so north of the bridge over the Ohio River.

aae991

Thanks!  My decision is pretty easy now.  Goodbye I-65  :pan:

RoadWarrior56

If you are not in a hurry and want a change of pace, you could take the section of US 41 that parallels SR 63 through west-central Indiana.  It is a two-lane roadway with curves and hills, but it is the only scenic section of the entire drive through western Indiana.  It goes through the middle of Turkey Run State Park.  SR 63 is a good, straight roadway, but it is not scenic at all.

aae991

I wish we had time, but we have to go straight through.  Thanks for the suggestion though!

jnewkirk77

Quote from: aae991 on December 20, 2012, 10:16:32 AM
Thanks for the report.  I think we'll give it a try and hope for the best.  I-65 is so bad that I'm willing to try anything.  There's also IL 1 about 15 miles to the west that could be used as a backup, but I'd prefer the 4 lane highway if possible.

You should get back into RVing.  There are some amazing prices on used rigs in great shape.  It's still cheaper than flying and, as you know, a lot more fun!

No problem. Oh, and believe me, we want to get back into RVing - as soon as possible!  We miss it terribly!!!

aae991

If you want a new diesel pusher, take a look at the Entegra Coach line.  They're owned by Jayco and are the rebirth of Travel Supreme.  We're thrilled with the coach and the build quality.  Our 10 year old gas class A was dying on us and needed $10,000 just to keep it going, so we decided to bite the bullet and buy our dream RV.  Other than the monthly check we're writing, it's great!

jnewkirk77

We're holding off on a Class A until the kids are gone - our oldest is 16 and youngest is 6, so we've got a few years.  :crazy:  We're shooting for a nice 29-32' TT for now ... but the DW and I can't agree on one!  :banghead:  We'll get there eventually.

hbelkins

What I've been on of IL 1 was not too great. Decent alignment but rough pavement. I'd avoid it.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Hoosierky

Quote from: hbelkins on December 22, 2012, 07:23:48 PM
What I've been on of IL 1 was not too great. Decent alignment but rough pavement. I'd avoid it.

Illinois had/has plans for a expressway using Illinois 1. I haven't heard anything on this in years, though.

Rough could be a lot of Illinois roads.
It was once on the Illinois supplemental freeway system but that was before Indiana built 41/63 4 lanes. Parts of the old freeway idea would have been within 4 miles of the Indiana road. There are no plans. I am sure widening and resurfacing and a passing lane every 7 miles(Il def of a super 2) would more than make everybody happy

mgk920

Quote from: 3467 on January 01, 2013, 04:25:38 PM
It was once on the Illinois supplemental freeway system but that was before Indiana built 41/63 4 lanes. Parts of the old freeway idea would have been within 4 miles of the Indiana road. There are no plans. I am sure widening and resurfacing and a passing lane every 7 miles(Il def of a super 2) would more than make everybody happy

Even more 'fictional/fantasy' musings here - howabout a southward extension of I-41 to take IL 394 and the IL 1 corridor southward to cross over into Indiana in the Momence, IL/Morocco, IN area, then roughly follow the US 41/IN 63 corridor to the Evansville, IN area?

:hmmm:

:meh:

Mike

Brandon

Quote from: mgk920 on January 01, 2013, 10:09:09 PM

Even more 'fictional/fantasy' musings here - howabout a southward extension of I-41 to take IL 394 and the IL 1 corridor southward to cross over into Indiana in the Momence, IL/Morocco, IN area, then roughly follow the US 41/IN 63 corridor to the Evansville, IN area?

Mike

Funny, I was thinking exactly the same thing, connect the Calumet Expressway (IL-394) to the US-41/IN-63 corridor.  Maybe use the Illiana Expressway as the connector?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Hoosierky

Quote from: Brandon on January 01, 2013, 10:19:20 PM

Mike

Funny, I was thinking exactly the same thing, connect the Calumet Expressway (IL-394) to the US-41/IN-63 corridor.  Maybe use the Illiana Expressway as the connector?

I drive a truck with a terminal at IL 394 and US 30 in Chicago Hieights. Once the Illiana is open to IL 394, look for that to happen. Right now, drivers go to Renssalear exit 215 on I-65 to US 41 to Indiana 2 then through the woods to Chicago.
The Illiana will get a lot of that traffic, making it safer both cars and trucks.

When the Borman flooded out a few years ago, the tollroad was free for the detour. Look at the money that cost the tollroad. Also US 30 was a clusterMess. The Illiana will be used by truckers, no doubt.

Captain Jack

Quote from: Brandon on January 01, 2013, 10:19:20 PM

Mike

I have thought that one for years. I never understood why US 41 through Indiana and KY wasn't part of the interstate system. It was the direct route between Chicago and Florida and was one of the busiest north-south highways in the country. I'm sure politics had plenty to do with it, but IMO, I-57 is basically just a 300 mile St. Louis bypass for I-55. Without politics, the following would have made much more sense.

Direct interstate from Milwaukee following US 41 to Chattanooga.

I-57 beginning in Bloomington-Normal and following US 51 before swinging over to I-55 at some point. This would still allow downstate Illinois with direct access to Chicago, as well as giving Decatur a better route. Eliminating I-24 from Clarksville to Illinois. If you didn't want to leave Paducah off the grid, then have I-57 stay a little east of US 51 and crossing the Ohio near Paducah, then follow US 45 and US 51 to Dyersburg, then hook over to I-55.

NE2

Quote from: Captain Jack on January 03, 2013, 12:27:20 PM
I never understood why US 41 through Indiana and KY wasn't part of the interstate system. It was the direct route between Chicago and Florida and was one of the busiest north-south highways in the country.
So the question is why I-57 is in Illinois rather than Indiana (since I-65 would obviously remain, as a Chicago-Indy-Louisville-Nashville link). That's a good question. The plan from 1947 included I-55, I-57, I-65, and I-74 as they are today (but I-24 only went Nashville-Chattanooga).

But now look at the ca. 1943 plan: there was no I-55 south from St. Louis. It could be that, after the gap was filled, nobody asked the question.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Believe it or not politics was not part of the Illinois routings. The routes were first layed out in 1944. The tollwa came out with another map in 1950 with the Interstate stuck in Limbo.
Their route for 57 was between current 57 and IL 1 This was long before Indiana 4 laned 41. There was flipping of 64s location and US 50 and IL 1 were given the booby prize of the supplemental freeway system (27 miles of 50 is under study for 4 lane)
There are various threads with more detail on the SFS and 50. Indiana has tried to get a western Interstate but finally put everything on 69

FHWA did question IDOTS sanit for putting IL 1 on the NHS so the best eastern Illinois could hope for is some widening and resurfacing ,some passing lanes and a good connection with the Illiana

Alps

Quote from: NE2 on January 03, 2013, 12:58:29 PM
Quote from: Captain Jack on January 03, 2013, 12:27:20 PM
I never understood why US 41 through Indiana and KY wasn't part of the interstate system. It was the direct route between Chicago and Florida and was one of the busiest north-south highways in the country.
So the question is why I-57 is in Illinois rather than Indiana (since I-65 would obviously remain, as a Chicago-Indy-Louisville-Nashville link). That's a good question. The plan from 1947 included I-55, I-57, I-65, and I-74 as they are today (but I-24 only went Nashville-Chattanooga).

But now look at the ca. 1943 plan: there was no I-55 south from St. Louis. It could be that, after the gap was filled, nobody asked the question.
I've never seen either of these before. I had no idea something so close to the modern system installed in 1956-57 was in place as far back as WWII.

JREwing78

Quote from: Hoosierky on January 02, 2013, 10:56:30 AM
When the Borman flooded out a few years ago, the tollroad was free for the detour. Look at the money that cost the tollroad. Also US 30 was a clusterMess. The Illiana will be used by truckers, no doubt.

I was on US-30 during that flood. I'm amazed the clutch in my truck (and my left leg) held up for the 8+ hours we were stuck in traffic trying to get back to I-94 near the Michigan line.

I've never seen either of these before. I had no idea something so close to the modern system installed in 1956-57 was in place as far back as WWII.
Oh Yes FDR himself drew the first map. But funding was stymied until IKE said gas tax not toll roads( you can see how the Chinese are dealing with the same issues now in International)
Illinois 1 freeway really died when Indiana built 41. There was a 1976 reveiw of the supplemental system and most routes were suggested as 4 lane expressways or improved 2 lanes w shoulders or passing lanes. IL 1 was suggested as a mix and then nothing but some widening and resurfacings happened(partially paved shoulders(

tvketchum

This map, and the plan from the 1930s, were based on a comprehensive Bureau of Public Roads survey done in the early 1930s, were motorists were asked questions of where the trip began, where will it end, where this segment began, where this segment will end, and such. That information showed the pattern used for the Interstate system. Being a political child, it was subject to tweaking, refinements, and alterations when the 1956 act was passed.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.