News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Wisconsin notes

Started by mgk920, May 30, 2012, 02:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterj920

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 25, 2016, 04:12:34 PM
A realigned US 10 to connect with Interstate 39 at a freeway to freeway interchange should be in the cards. I'd start the realignment just west of the CTH J interchange, and have it meet Interstate 39 just south of the railroad track crossing north of Exit 156.

The proposed routing would actually start near the Hwy K east intersection and head straight west to I-39.  I'm really surprised that the plans were put on hold since it's more heavily traveled than US 10 west of Stevens Point.  But Marshfield wanted its expressway connection and got it.  They complained how it was the biggest city in Wisconsin without a major highway and it worked.

triplemultiplex

I'd start the realignment just west of the CTH J interchange, and have it meet Interstate 39 just south of the railroad track crossing north of Exit 156.

That's what I wanted to do as well, but that nice opening straight to I-39 filled in with new light industrial/commercial office buildings recently.

This was more or less WisDOT's preferred alternative before the project was shelved for lack of funds:

The interchange where it leaves the existing expressway changed some, but you get the general idea.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

mgk920

Quote from: triplemultiplex on February 25, 2016, 10:16:59 PM
I'd start the realignment just west of the CTH J interchange, and have it meet Interstate 39 just south of the railroad track crossing north of Exit 156.

That's what I wanted to do as well, but that nice opening straight to I-39 filled in with new light industrial/commercial office buildings recently.

This was more or less WisDOT's preferred alternative before the project was shelved for lack of funds:

The interchange where it leaves the existing expressway changed some, but you get the general idea.

The original planning thoughts had the bypass freeway diverging west of County 'J', but as time and PIMs passed, such an option became so increasingly 'Rube Goldbergish' that the WisDOT guys simply gave up on it.

As for the current plan, the last that I am aware of is that it is still 'active', but is indeed waiting on funding.  The final has been tweaked in many places, but generally follows the above lines.

Mike

The Ghostbuster

Does anyone think it could still be constructed, perhaps in the distant future?

I-39

Question.

Is the I-39/90 and Beltline (US 12/18) system interchange now being omitted from the I-39/90 reconstruction/widening plans? On the website, it is not listed on the north section schedule anymore.

The Ghostbuster

It looks to me it will not be constructed along with the existing 39/90 Madison to Illinois project. I disagree with this. I think the interchange should have been included, since the original interchange opened in 1961. When the interchange with the Madison Beltline will be reconstructed is anyone's guess.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 03, 2016, 03:18:37 PM
It looks to me it will not be constructed along with the existing 39/90 Madison to Illinois project. I disagree with this. I think the interchange should have been included, since the original interchange opened in 1961. When the interchange with the Madison Beltline will be reconstructed is anyone's guess.

Looks like it is part of the I-39/90/94 study from Portage to Madison.

http://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/projects/by-region/sw/399094/default.aspx

So did that get moved for money reasons?

The Ghostbuster

That would push the date back to 2025 or 2030.

I-39

I don't see anything on the I-39/90/94 study that indicates that the beltline interchange is now included there. In fact, the pdf shows the study area beginning just north of the interchange.

I wonder what is going on.

triplemultiplex

There's a PIM in less than two weeks at the project field office in Edgerton.  Perhaps one could ask about it there.
http://projects.511wi.gov/i-39-90/schedule/
Bit confusing though, because it says it's on Tuesday the 16th; Tuesday is the 15th.  Methinks someone got messed up by the leap day.  Somehow.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

noelbotevera

Speaking of I-39, will exit 85 (Cascade Mountain Road) be reconstructed? I-39 through that stretch got reconstructed, but that interchange wasn't. Sorry for interrupting.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

JREwing78

There's a public meeting about the I-39/90 and US 12/18 (Beltline) interchange on Thursday, April 7th in McFarland.
http://projects.511wi.gov/i-39-90/segments/north/schedule/

The Ghostbuster

I suspect the date of the interchange's reconstruction will be at least 10 to 15 years down the road. I think it should be done sooner.

I-39

So where is the interchange on the schedule if it is still part of this project?

JMAN_WiS&S

Not sure if this is the location to post this, but US 12 Clairemont Ave in Eau Claire has many signals. All left turns east of Cameron St all the way to BUS 53 Hastings Way are protected only signals, with FYA 4 stacks replacing the 5 stacks east of Cameron St to WIS 312 in 2013, and there are currently still 2 intersections with 5 stacks not including the ones on US 12 in altoona, because I do not frequently go that way so I don't know the signal situation there, minus some 4 stack FYA right turn signals. The spui at US 53 and US 12 has protected lefts and one approach from US 53 SB has a 4 stack FYA right turn signal.

Here is my point:
Over the last few weeks, I have noticed 4 stack left turn heads being placed on US 12 from London Rd to Patton St, replacing the 3 section protected only signals, but no FYA operation yet as they are running in protected only operation, and signage is not posted yet, as Rudolph Rd StI'll hasn't had its median signals switched as of this morning. I contacted the city traffic engineer with no response, and don't know who to contact if US 12 is state dot maintained. Anybody know if these 4 stacks are for future FYA use?  I would suspect a Protected only based on time of day in these high traffic intersections, but don't know if they would program them that way.
Youtube, Twitter, Flickr Username: JMAN.WiS&S
Instagram username: jman.wissotasirens-signals

I am not an official representative or spokesperson for WisDOT. Any views or opinions expressed are purely my own based on my work experiences and do not represent WisDOTs views or opinions.

peterj920

I have seen some protected lefts replaced with FYAs, so I would assume that they're being installed to replace the protected lefts.  Most of the signals weren't protected lefts prior to the 2008 reconstruction.  US 12 in Altoona is supposed to be resurfaced ok this spring and the signals are going to be replaced.  The signal changes could be related to that project. 

JMAN_WiS&S

Quote from: peterj920 on April 08, 2016, 10:46:40 PM
I have seen some protected lefts replaced with FYAs, so I would assume that they're being installed to replace the protected lefts.  Most of the signals weren't protected lefts prior to the 2008 reconstruction.  US 12 in Altoona is supposed to be resurfaced ok this spring and the signals are going to be replaced.  The signal changes could be related to that project.
Possibly. I wonder if they will change over to monotube masts. That will be a fist for US12 in the area. Did left turns along clairemont used to be all 5stack permissive? Thats how the old part of Clairemont that wasnt part of the 2008 construction was until 2013 when they replaced the streets west of cameron with FYA's. I think many of the cross streets along the clairemont corridor need Permissive/Protected either FYA or 5 stacks for the left turns, they get busy at times, and i would assume they would be put in if clairemont ever got upgraded to monotube style signals. Currently only Rudolph Rd @ US 12/Clairemont has 5 Stack Permissive/Protected left turns, and Patton St, Craig Rd, Menomonie St have one side at a time Protected Thru/Straight  (Green Ball With Green Left arrow, dont know what this phasing is called).
I am interested to see how this turns out.

I am not an official representative or spokesperson for WisDOT. Any views or opinions expressed are purely my own based on my work experiences and do not represent WisDOTs views or opinions.

Big John

Quote from: JMAN12343610 on April 09, 2016, 01:27:36 PM
and Patton St, Craig Rd, Menomonie St have one side at a time Protected Thru/Straight  (Green Ball With Green Left arrow, dont know what this phasing is called).
Split phasing

peterj920

Possibly. I wonder if they will change over to monotube masts. That will be a fist for US12 in the area. Did left turns along clairemont used to be all 5stack permissive? Thats how the old part of Clairemont that wasnt part of the 2008 construction was until 2013 when they replaced the streets west of cameron with FYA's. I think many of the cross streets along the clairemont corridor need Permissive/Protected either FYA or 5 stacks for the left turns, they get busy at times, and i would assume they would be put in if clairemont ever got upgraded to monotube style signals. Currently only Rudolph Rd @ US 12/Clairemont has 5 Stack Permissive/Protected left turns, and Patton St, Craig Rd, Menomonie St have one side at a time Protected Thru/Straight  (Green Ball With Green Left arrow, dont know what this phasing is called).

They were mostly 5 stacks, but protected at Stein Blvd, Cameron St, and Business 53 north before reconstruction.  The signals in Eau Claire always seemed to be unique compared to the rest of the state.  With a lot of the protected left signals on Bus 53 before the bypass was built and some of the intersections on US 12, there was a straight vertical overhead arrow signal placed from the median.  At London Rd, the Bus 53 interchange, and Stein Blvd, those signals are still in place and existed before vertical overhead signals became widely used.  The Eau Claire area seems to have more protected left signals than any other area of the state.  Almost all of the signals along Wis 312 between I-94 and Jeffers Rd are protected, along with most of US 12 and Wis 124 in Lake Hallie.  When Bus 53 was reconstructed, they were all replaced with 4 stack FYAs so the trend may be to start removing the protected lefts in the future.  Bus 53 in Lake Hallie is supposed to be reconstructed this year, so it will be interesting to see if the protected lefts are removed or replaced with 4 stack FYAs.   

JMAN_WiS&S

Quote from: peterj920 on April 09, 2016, 04:34:06 PM

They were mostly 5 stacks, but protected at Stein Blvd, Cameron St, and Business 53 north before reconstruction.  The signals in Eau Claire always seemed to be unique compared to the rest of the state.  With a lot of the protected left signals on Bus 53 before the bypass was built and some of the intersections on US 12, there was a straight vertical overhead arrow signal placed from the median.  At London Rd, the Bus 53 interchange, and Stein Blvd, those signals are still in place and existed before vertical overhead signals became widely used.  The Eau Claire area seems to have more protected left signals than any other area of the state.  Almost all of the signals along Wis 312 between I-94 and Jeffers Rd are protected, along with most of US 12 and Wis 124 in Lake Hallie.  When Bus 53 was reconstructed, they were all replaced with 4 stack FYAs so the trend may be to start removing the protected lefts in the future.  Bus 53 in Lake Hallie is supposed to be reconstructed this year, so it will be interesting to see if the protected lefts are removed or replaced with 4 stack FYAs.

That is one correct statement, I have no idea why the area has a need for so many protected signals. The city itself has no city maintained intersections with protected only signals, all 5 stacks minus the few oddball monotube FYA/Doghouse things. Something i am wondering about, almost all the intersections with protected lefts have porkchop islands separating side st right turns, and the right turns have a right turn arrow signal with red ball. These go in unison with the left turn. I wonder how operation will change with these FYA signals.

JMAN_WiS&S

Quote from: peterj920 on April 09, 2016, 04:34:06 PM

It is official.  Craig Rd, 37, Patton St, Rudolph Rd,  keith st, Fairfax st and London Road are switching tonight.  Cameron St,  Menomonie st, stein blvd, university Dr and hastings way will be switched this summer. http://www.weau.com/home/headlines/TRAFFIC-ALERT-Crews-to-upgrade-traffic-signals-along-Clairemont-Ave--377946841.html

peterj920

Good thing they got rid of those protected left turns.  Clairemont Ave was a lot slower than before they were put in.  It looks like they were only put in where the road was 3 lanes in each direction.  I hope that the lights on Wis 312 are also switched because there's no reason why those lights should be protected. 

SEWIGuy

A lot of places put protected left turns in "just because," and it is a nuisance.  A few years ago they did this on Main Street (US-12) in Fort Atkinson.  It used to be two lanes in both directions, but they changed it to one each way with left turn lanes (a good thing), but then protected the left hand turns at each of the lights for an *extremely* lengthy time. 

JMAN_WiS&S

Quote from: peterj920 on May 05, 2016, 11:28:19 PM
Good thing they got rid of those protected left turns.  Clairemont Ave was a lot slower than before they were put in.  It looks like they were only put in where the road was 3 lanes in each direction.  I hope that the lights on Wis 312 are also switched because there's no reason why those lights should be protected.
They really should. 312 East of US 12 Is 5 Stack Permissive except at present US 53, those may be protected I do not remember. I'm still trying to figure out exactly how the fya is programmed on these new setups on clairemont, one side may be flashing, while the other side may stay solid red. I think certain lanes are protected only during certain times.

SSOWorld

Quote from: SEWIGuy on May 06, 2016, 11:35:55 AM
A lot of places put protected left turns in "just because," and it is a nuisance.  A few years ago they did this on Main Street (US-12) in Fort Atkinson.  It used to be two lanes in both directions, but they changed it to one each way with left turn lanes (a good thing), but then protected the left hand turns at each of the lights for an *extremely* lengthy time. 
80 and US 151 Bus in Platteville.  Add stop signs on the right turns
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.