News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Wisconsin notes

Started by mgk920, May 30, 2012, 02:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgk920

Quote from: slorydn1 on August 02, 2016, 09:08:48 AM
Just a note from a person that accesses DMV files on a daily basis:

It seems regardless of the state in question no matter what it says on the plate itself, the return I get from any of  state's DMV files that I run for my deputies the printout always shows an "O" to be a "0". This includes Wisconsin. For example, my personalized tag SLORYDN1 shows up in the database here in NC as SL0RYDN1

The "I" versus "1" is a little cloudier, I have noticed most states (including NC) do allow the letter "I" and it shows up as an "I" in the database, not a "1". I don't remember seeing one with the letter "I" from Wisconsin but I must admit it's been a while since I have run a Wisconsin tag.

The personalized plate number on my car has a letter 'I' in it.

:nod:

Mike

peterj920

Last week in Brown County, US 141/Wis 29, Wis 32/57, and Wis 96 were chipsealed on asphalt that wasn't very old.  Have seen it a lot in some counties like Calumet County that chipseals every road about 5 years after its asphalt paved.  Have anyone else seen other state highways chipsealed?

tchafe1978

Lafayette County chipseals their county roads on a regular basis, but I have yet to see them do it on any of the state highways in the county.

Sorry to change the subject, but yesterday I was at Fox Valley Technical College's training center facility in Greenville, WI (just west of Appleton) and I noticed a bunch of named streets within the facility grounds, with names such as Spring, Summer, and Fall streets, Fourth through Seventh Avenues, and even a road signed as County FV.

Are these streets actual streets, or do they exist simply for training and simulations?  Does anybody have more information about this area?

Any and all information is much appreciated.
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

Right on Red

Google doesn't recognize any Outagamie County Road FV. Is this it?

The sign looks real (or like a convincing knockoff), though it'd be interesting to know if any DOT stickers are on the back.

Quote from: Right on Red on August 14, 2016, 09:09:05 AM
Google doesn't recognize any Outagamie County Road FV. Is this it?

The sign looks real (or like a convincing knockoff), though it'd be interesting to know if any DOT stickers are on the back.

The address is W6450 County Rd BB, Appleton, WI 54914 in the Town of Greenville - it's their Public Safety Training Center, not on their main campus.

I didn't get to look at the back of the sign for DOT stickers; sorry.

And I noticed Google doesn't list it; OpenStreetMap doesn't either, and I haven't found a map that does.

Cheers!

peterj920

It's a simulation.  At the other campus, they have railroad crossing signals without a railroad crossing and traffic signals for their truck driving course. 

Quote from: peterj920 on August 14, 2016, 03:56:13 PM
It's a simulation.  At the other campus, they have railroad crossing signals without a railroad crossing and traffic signals for their truck driving course.

That's what I was kind of thinking after walking on it and everything, but I didn't know for sure.  Thanks for the information; have a nice day! :cheers:

mgk920

Quote from: RandomDude172 on August 15, 2016, 06:48:05 AM
Quote from: peterj920 on August 14, 2016, 03:56:13 PM

Their Class A CDL (big-rig truck driver) range is right along I-41 across from the Timber Rattlers' stadium.

QuoteThat's what I was kind of thinking after walking on it and everything, but I didn't know for sure.  Thanks for the information; have a nice day! :cheers:

It's all for police training simulation.  Among the other goodies, at the fire end they have a simulated aircraft rescue (a retired 727) and a freight train derailment (three retired propane tank cars realistically piled together).  Inside the main building, the police side also has a simulated bar room.

Mike

peterj920

A PIM on US 10 in Stevens Point is upcoming.  They do have a map on the proposed eastern Stevens Point Bypass.  I know someone kept posting one but this map is a little different.  There would be a full diamond interchange at Lake Rd and the 4 lane road would swoop to the left and cross existing US 10 and the CN railroad on one structure. 

http://wisconsindot.gov/Documents/projects/by-region/nc/us10portage/us10-preferred-alignment.pdf

http://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/projects/by-region/nc/us10portage/default.aspx

triplemultiplex

I have updated my copy ;)
Now one can see the evolution of this process:
~2008:

~2009:

2016:

It's too late for my concept:

The business park has filled in along the railroad just east of I-39.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

colinstu

saw a Hobbyist plate with a white background and black text a few days ago.

Any idea what's goin on there? Normally they're green and yellow..

Big John

colinstu

paulthemapguy

Has anyone noticed that Wisconsin Highways 123, 74, and 115 have been decommissioned?  I managed to get a photo of WI-123 a year ago (to the day almost) before it was removed this year.  Is this the mark of a more minimalist era for WisDOT?  Or are they reorganizing their priorities in a particular way?
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 391/425. Only 34 route markers remain!

SEWIGuy

Quote from: paulthemapguy on September 01, 2016, 09:31:58 AM
Has anyone noticed that Wisconsin Highways 123, 74, and 115 have been decommissioned?  I managed to get a photo of WI-123 a year ago (to the day almost) before it was removed this year.  Is this the mark of a more minimalist era for WisDOT?  Or are they reorganizing their priorities in a particular way?

WI-74 was discussed last year.  It was removed to use the mileage for the new US-18 western bypass of Waukesha. 

WI-115 was decommissioned over a decade ago.  Did you mean something else?

WI-123 I wasn't aware of.  It was pretty minor though.

SSOWorld

Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 01, 2016, 09:40:01 AM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on September 01, 2016, 09:31:58 AM
123 was a state route that simply pointed to Devil's Lake state park - a lot of highway for a short drive.
74 seemed like a highway that didn't have any point in being there since it didn't end in a good spot (short of an interstate at Capitol Drive)  Waukesha County wanted it gone as well.

WI-74 was discussed last year.  It was removed to use the mileage for the new US-18 western bypass of Waukesha. 

WI-123 I wasn't aware of.  It was pretty minor though.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

The Ghostbuster

Highway 123 was eliminated? I had no idea. It just connected Baraboo with Devils Lake Park. RIP WI-123, 1919-2016.

GeekJedi

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 01, 2016, 05:55:08 PM
Highway 123 was eliminated? I had no idea. It just connected Baraboo with Devils Lake Park. RIP WI-123, 1919-2016.

It was pretty much an un-needed little highway...

http://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/about-wisdot/newsroom/news-rel/010-sw.aspx
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

paulthemapguy

No.  But I did mistake "2005" for "2015" when I read the year it was decommissioned.  So I thought it was recent  :-P
I was thinking of 'conquering' Wisconsin (wherein I visit every state route in a state & get one sign photo for each route).
Now I know to scratch a few more roads off my list.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 391/425. Only 34 route markers remain!

The Ghostbuster

I read on Wikipedia (not the most reliable site) that when the US 12 West Baraboo Bypass is completed, STH-136 is going to be extended, and will completely replace STH-159. Does anyone know if this is accurate?

dvferyance

Quote from: GeekJedi on September 01, 2016, 07:29:08 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 01, 2016, 05:55:08 PM

It was pretty much an un-needed little highway...

http://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/about-wisdot/newsroom/news-rel/010-sw.aspx
I just learned that myself on Wikipedia a couple weeks ago. I am ok with it though I thought it would have made more sense to decommission WI-159 instead. The whole purpose of it was to serve Devil's Lake State Park with a state highway. I believe WI-159 was extended to the entrance of Devil's Lake State Park. As for WI-74 is another story. I thought it was completely stupid to get rid of it just because the most corrupt suburb in SE Wisconsin perhaps all of Wisconsin asked for it. If it was going to go should have been done so at the same time WI-164 was extended back in the late 90's. Waukesha County has been hit so hard with routing changes over the last 30 years probably more than any other county. As for WI-115 that's a mixed bag for me. It was just a short cut off route between WI-60 and WI-26 but on the other hand wasn't the decommissioning of WI-109 a few years before enough of a reduction for Dodge County for years to come?

GeekJedi

Quote from: dvferyance on September 02, 2016, 05:27:49 PM
I thought it was completely stupid to get rid of it just because the most corrupt suburb in SE Wisconsin perhaps all of Wisconsin asked for it.

Again, the "most corrupt suburb" wasn't the only factor. You going to hate on Slinger for decommissioning STH 144 there (which will eventually cause the entire route to be decommissioned)?

I just don't get it. It's a stupid state highway, and all you can talk about is "boycotting" Menominee Falls because they didn't want 74 there.

By the way, you realize that Lannon and Sussex didn't really want the highway either, right? Let's boycott them, too!!
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

SEWIGuy

WI-115 was decommissioned in 2005.  No one misses it.  And WI-109?  Wasn't that like 20 years ago?

peterj920

Wis 127 needs to go.  It was an old alignment of US 16 and doesn't even go to any communities.  It's by far the most useless state highway in Wisconsin. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.