News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Wisconsin notes

Started by mgk920, May 30, 2012, 02:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JREwing78

The stub end of a section of U.S. Highway 12 freeway just north of Elkhorn dies abruptly in gravel, the remnant of a construction project that would have extended U.S. 12 to a point about one-half mile east of County Highway O near Whitewater.

The plan officially was mapped by the Wisconsin Department of Transportation back in 1967.

But it remained in the planning stages for decades, and now that empty section of freeway, barricaded from traffic, is a road going nowhere.

That worries local officials who see the increase in traffic along the current route and would like to have the stalled project revived.

After 50 years, U.S. Highway 12 reroute and expansion remains stalled
http://www.communityshoppers.com/item/2442-after-50-years-u-s-highway-12-reroute-and-expansion-remains-stalled

I-39

Quote from: JREwing78 on April 09, 2017, 10:35:02 AM
The stub end of a section of U.S. Highway 12 freeway just north of Elkhorn dies abruptly in gravel, the remnant of a construction project that would have extended U.S. 12 to a point about one-half mile east of County Highway O near Whitewater.

The plan officially was mapped by the Wisconsin Department of Transportation back in 1967.

But it remained in the planning stages for decades, and now that empty section of freeway, barricaded from traffic, is a road going nowhere.

That worries local officials who see the increase in traffic along the current route and would like to have the stalled project revived.

http://www.communityshoppers.com/item/2442-after-50-years-u-s-highway-12-reroute-and-expansion-remains-stalled

Why is a freeway necessary here when it will not connect to Illinois? With the DOT funding crisis and the refusal of the state legislature to raise the gas tax, I'd push for a scaled back project along the existing alignment.

SEWIGuy

What I don't understand about this idea is that the re-route would have minimal impact on the local traffic north of Elkhorn and the summer traffic to the Lauderdale Lakes area.  Yeah you would get the traffic going beyond Lauderdale off the roads, but IMO that isn't a great deal of traffic.  The backups that occur at County A and ES are almost entirely due to local traffic. 

IMO this is exactly the type of project that is unnecessary and should be tabled until higher priority expansions get done.

I-39

Quote from: SEWIGuy on April 09, 2017, 10:54:40 AM

What I don't understand about this idea is that the re-route would have minimal impact on the local traffic north of Elkhorn and the summer traffic to the Lauderdale Lakes area.  Yeah you would get the traffic going beyond Lauderdale off the roads, but IMO that isn't a great deal of traffic.  The backups that occur at County A and ES are almost entirely due to local traffic. 

IMO this is exactly the type of project that is unnecessary and should be tabled until higher priority expansions get done.

Exactly. There are way more important things for WisDOT to focus on than this. Plus, with no connection at the Illinois line, it won't be necessary to complete.

mgk920

Also that NASTY turn that US 12 takes at WI 20/67.  Aside from its crossing of the easy to dig through Kettle Moraine just outside of Whitewater, the 'Corner Cut' would run through absolutely flat, wide-open countryside.  I would build it as a two-lane road on an upgradable four-lane ROW, to match the existing US 12 Whitewater bypass.

Someday, Illinois will find 'religion' on their end of this corridor as increasing traffic overwhelms the existing roads in McHenry County.

Mike

ChiMilNet

Quote from: mgk920 on April 09, 2017, 12:12:59 PM
Also that NASTY turn that US 12 takes at WI 20/67.  Aside from its crossing of the easy to dig through Kettle Moraine just outside of Whitewater, the 'Corner Cut' would run through absolutely flat, wide-open countryside.  I would build it as a two-lane road on an upgradable four-lane ROW, to match the existing US 12 Whitewater bypass.

Someday, Illinois will find 'religion' on their end of this corridor as increasing traffic overwhelms the existing roads in McHenry County.

Mike

Believe me, traffic already overwhelms the existing roads in McHenry County. Our short term solution should be to make sure 12 is four lanes (if even undivided) from just West of Fox Lake to the State Border. Long term, one day after the IL 53 extension is finally done because Long Grove realizes they are not a country town (and hasn't been for about 50 years as of the time of this post), maybe the freeway/tollway portion finally gets done. I was up in the area yesterday, and it is a joke that the main route between Lake Geneva and Chicago has a two lane portion. For the population of that part of WI, I hope the powers that be here finally get a clue as well!

GeekJedi

Quote from: dzlsabe on April 07, 2017, 12:25:33 AM
Quote from: GeekJedi on April 05, 2017, 07:40:25 AM
So then how do we get him to disappear? So far he's added absolutely zero to this and needs to go back on his meds.

WTF does that mean? You wanna replace the First Amendment with the Second? Its not illegal to be "crazy" (note to self WI notes now at 272750?), in most states. Yet. Maybe in Wherethefami?

1. The first amendment doesn't apply to message boards.
2. Nope. I don't want the second amendment to replace the first. I simply hope that someday you get the mental help you so obviously need.

Now go on back to "fictional highways" and talk about roads that will never be built.

As to the topic at hand, I still don't see US-12 ever getting any major upgrades in Wisconsin. For years a few people have been beating the "pressure cooker waiting to explode" drum, but I just don't see it. I drive on 12 from WI-67 out to Madison quite a bit, and have never thought "boy, this really needs to be four lanes". With the I-90 upgrades and 70MPH speed limits, there's just no reason to spend the money.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: ChiMilNet on April 09, 2017, 09:09:55 PM

Mike

Believe me, traffic already overwhelms the existing roads in McHenry County. Our short term solution should be to make sure 12 is four lanes (if even undivided) from just West of Fox Lake to the State Border. Long term, one day after the IL 53 extension is finally done because Long Grove realizes they are not a country town (and hasn't been for about 50 years as of the time of this post), maybe the freeway/tollway portion finally gets done. I was up in the area yesterday, and it is a joke that the main route between Lake Geneva and Chicago has a two lane portion. For the population of that part of WI, I hope the powers that be here finally get a clue as well!

very little room in Richmond il to 4 lane us12 but maybe trumps dump the EPA can get the Richmond bypass build may have to toll it to pay for it it need hooks to FAP420 and maybe something along 47 or Randall Road area back to I-90.

IL-31 mchenry il to crystal lake 4 laneing is in the works and after that is mchenry il to Richmond next?

I think FAP 420 was going to trun in somewhere near mccullom lake \ ringwood road.

An exit near wonder lake IL would be nice.

The Ghostbuster

I don't see the missing link of US 12 between Whitewater and Elkhorn being built anytime soon, if ever. The most I see WISDOT likely doing is maintain the existing US 12 corridor, and perhaps making minor improvements. How much traffic would the long-proposed "missing link" potentially take off existing US 12 anyway?

I-39

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on April 10, 2017, 01:41:48 PM

Mike

very little room in Richmond il to 4 lane us12 but maybe trumps dump the EPA can get the Richmond bypass build may have to toll it to pay for it it need hooks to FAP420 and maybe something along 47 or Randall Road area back to I-90.

IL-31 mchenry il to crystal lake 4 laneing is in the works and after that is mchenry il to Richmond next?

I think FAP 420 was going to trun in somewhere near mccullom lake \ ringwood road.

They are never going to build the full Richmond-Waukegan FAP 420 corridor. It is, for all intents and purposes, dead. Too many environmental constraints and too much development. And the environmental restrictions will never be reversed, even if the EPA did, Illinois would still have to sign off on it and I doubt that would ever happen.

McHenry just going to have to make due with improving existing arterials.

I-39

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 10, 2017, 02:29:09 PM
I don't see the missing link of US 12 between Whitewater and Elkhorn being built anytime soon, if ever. The most I see WISDOT likely doing is maintain the existing US 12 corridor, and perhaps making minor improvements. How much traffic would the long-proposed "missing link" potentially take off existing US 12 anyway?

It is not needed unless it is going to connect with the FAP 420 corridor in Illinois, and the FAP 420 corridor will never be built. Therefore, building a new freeway between Elkhorn and Whitewater is not necessary, even if it is only two lanes on four lane ROW.

Improve the existing road and call it a day.

The Ghostbuster

That's most likely what will happen.

tribar

Quote from: I-39 on April 10, 2017, 04:39:30 PM

Mike

They are never going to build the full Richmond-Waukegan FAP 420 corridor. It is, for all intents and purposes, dead. Too many environmental constraints and too much development. And the environmental restrictions will never be reversed, even if the EPA did, Illinois would still have to sign off on it and I doubt that would ever happen.

Something needs to be done with Richmond at least. It doesn't really need to be anything special. A 4 lane road from the existing partial interchange in Genoa City down to either Route 31 or Route 12 on the southern edge of town is all that's needed. You can even have stop lights instead of interchanges.  This shouldn't be terribly expensive either so there's no need to toll it, especially because it would only be a couple miles.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: tribar on April 10, 2017, 06:34:22 PM
Quote from: I-39 on April 10, 2017, 04:39:30 PM

Mike

Something needs to be done with Richmond at least. It doesn't really need to be anything special. A 4 lane road from the existing partial interchange in Genoa City down to either Route 31 or Route 12 on the southern edge of town is all that's needed. You can even have stop lights instead of interchanges.  This shouldn't be terribly expensive either so there's no need to toll it, especially because it would only be a couple miles.

maybe Richmond + IL-53 with IL-120 full tollway from US/41 till just past US-12.

and then widen us 12 Richmond to fox lake and IL 31 Richmond to mchenry il

GeekJedi

If I remember correctly, the last time this came up, Richmond officials flat out refused to discuss any alternative that took US-12 outside of town. They want it there, apparently.

hobsini2

Quote from: GeekJedi on April 10, 2017, 08:30:16 PM

If I remember correctly, the last time this came up, Richmond officials flat out refused to discuss any alternative that took US-12 outside of town. They want it there, apparently.

If they were smart, you could have a super 2 expressway (think more like Wis 36 around Burlington but with just 2 lanes and no exits) that connects the US 12 freeway and US 12 east of IL 31. Old 12 could be Business 12 to appease the city of Richmond.

Same could be done to cut the Wis 20/67 corner.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Joe The Dragon

call the bypass TOLL-US12 they can keep there free us-12.

GeekJedi

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on April 10, 2017, 09:23:23 PM

call the bypass TOLL-US12 they can keep there free us-12.

Pretty certain that it won't make a difference. I think at this point, the chances of a meaningful Richmond bypass are effectively zero.

In other news, a few days ago I was driving down County KK/Calumet St in Appleton, and as I was approaching the traffic light at John St/Driftwood Ln, I noticed a sign that said "END County KK", instead of a sign stating KK turns right to go up John St.  (There have never been reassurance signs along John St, though, at least from what I remember.)  So did they truncate the route, or was it simply the replacement of an old sign?
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

The Ghostbuster

There was a KK Right sign on Calumet St. the last time a Google car traveled the corridor back in September 2016: https://www.google.com/maps/@44.2438485,-88.3651261,3a,75y,320.9h,83.18t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1su3v5FeBn3Co4PYtBRwKqmg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

My guess is it was a replaced sign, and one that may have been inaccurate.

peterj920

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 12, 2017, 04:40:38 PM
There was a KK Right sign on Calumet St. the last time a Google car traveled the corridor back in September 2016: https://www.google.com/maps/@44.2438485,-88.3651261,3a,75y,320.9h,83.18t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1su3v5FeBn3Co4PYtBRwKqmg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1

My guess is it was a replaced sign, and one that may have been inaccurate.

When John St was reconstructed, it was turned over to the City of Appleton just like Ballard Rd between County OO and Wis 96 was after reconstruction. 

peterj920

Quote from: 20160805 on April 12, 2017, 07:01:34 AM
In other news, a few days ago I was driving down County KK/Calumet St in Appleton, and as I was approaching the traffic light at John St/Driftwood Ln, I noticed a sign that said "END County KK", instead of a sign stating KK turns right to go up John St.  (There have never been reassurance signs along John St, though, at least from what I remember.)  So did they truncate the route, or was it simply the replacement of an old sign?

Truncated after John St reconstruction.

Revive 755

I thought it was the Army Corps objecting to wetland impacts that was the main issue last time the bypass came up?

mgk920

I saw the same sign a few days ago and was about to report it, too.  I was thinking that it was done just to clarify things and didn't even know when Outagamie County completely turned John St over to the City of Appleton.  IIRC, the whole thing to at least its former Fox River bridge was once County 'KK', ditto the Walter Ave/Newberry St corridor once being County 'Z'.

For those unaware of how Appleton is laid out, this sign is a few blocks west of the WI 441/Calumet St interchange.

Mike

Quote from: mgk920 on April 12, 2017, 10:57:10 PM

I saw the same sign a few days ago and was about to report it, too.  I was thinking that it was done just to clarify things and didn't even know when Outagamie County completely turned John St over to the City of Appleton.  IIRC, the whole thing to at least its former Fox River bridge was once County 'KK', ditto the Walter Ave/Newberry St corridor once being County 'Z'.

For those unaware of how Appleton is laid out, this sign is a few blocks west of the WI 441/Calumet St interchange.

Mike

Is the "JCT County AP" sign along westbound KK as it approaches Eisenhower Dr also a remnant from a previous incarnation of AP?  That sign has always irked me personally; AP is Midway Rd, for Pete's sake!
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.