News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Wisconsin notes

Started by mgk920, May 30, 2012, 02:33:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheHighwayMan3561

The last remaining state-named interstate shield that I was aware of is now gone. It was an I-90 at the WIS 82 interchange. It was replaced sometime in the last two months. :(
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

mgk920

WisDOT just installed big brown signs with the words "Michael G. Ellis/Memorial/Interchange" in the median of I-41 (one each way) right in front of the ramp stack in the recently rebuilt I-41/US 10/WI 441 interchange between Appleton and Neenah.  Is this the first time that they've actually identified an interchange in that manner?

Mike

SEWIGuy

Quote from: mgk920 on September 01, 2019, 10:48:30 AM
WisDOT just installed big brown signs with the words "Michael G. Ellis/Memorial/Interchange" in the median of I-41 (one each way) right in front of the ramp stack in the recently rebuilt I-41/US 10/WI 441 interchange between Appleton and Neenah.  Is this the first time that they've actually identified an interchange in that manner?

Mike

Yeah I just saw that Friday. I do not recall others signed like this but I think most of the other interchanges are "nicknames"  rather than formal names.

I can't think of a more depressing way to be memorialized though.

The Ghostbuster

Who was Michael G. Ellis? Was he a former politician who served the Appleton area?

SEWIGuy

mgk920

Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 03, 2019, 04:25:41 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 03, 2019, 02:23:38 PM
Who was Michael G. Ellis? Was he a former politician who served the Appleton area?

https://www.kesslerfh.com/notices/SenatorMichaelG-Ellis

Yea, he was a late long-time state Senator from Neenah, his district also included much of Appleton.  He was well known for being a bit of an outspoken curmudgeon at times, too.

:meh:

BTW, there is also a sign on an overhead gantry on the bridge on the WB approach to that interchange.

Mike

peterj920

Mike Ellis fought hard to have Wis 441 built as a freeway. Wis 441 was originally a multi-county project and was supposed to simply be a 4 lane expressway with intersections. The Little Lake Butte Des Mortes Bridge was originally a Winnebago County project and was signed as County Q when opened. 

Ellis lead the charge for the state to takeover the Tri-County project and upgrade the route to freeway.

Can you imagine the traffic issues if Wis 441 was not built as a freeway?

The Ghostbuster

The traffic would use US/Interstate 41 and surface streets if WIS 441 did not exist. US 10 might still be on its pre-existing alignment through Appleton, although I'm not sure about whether or not US 10 would be four-lanes all the way west to Stevens Points. It probably would, but the route would likely be closer to old US 10 between Fremont and Appleton.

peterj920

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 06, 2019, 04:14:08 PM
The traffic would use US/Interstate 41 and surface streets if WIS 441 did not exist. US 10 might still be on its pre-existing alignment through Appleton, although I'm not sure about whether or not US 10 would be four-lanes all the way west to Stevens Points. It probably would, but the route would likely be closer to old US 10 between Fremont and Appleton.

A 4 lane highway was going to be built along the Wis 441 corridor. It was going to be an expressway with a county road designation. The ROW was purchased in the 3 counties for the project. It's evident with the intersections that were once present with US 41 when the original bridge opened as County Q. I'm asking to imagine a roadway with intersections instead of interchanges.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: peterj920 on September 06, 2019, 11:37:45 PM

A 4 lane highway was going to be built along the Wis 441 corridor. It was going to be an expressway with a county road designation. The ROW was purchased in the 3 counties for the project. It's evident with the intersections that were once present with US 41 when the original bridge opened as County Q. I'm asking to imagine a roadway with intersections instead of interchanges.

It would have been a crowded street, but would have largely been fine.  WI-441 isn't *that* busy even during rush hour.  Would have been smarter to use that $$ to expand I-41 instead.  Just another example of how WIDOT has spent too much on alternate corridors instead of increasing the capacity on those where it is needed.

thspfc

There's orange barrels on 39/90 northbound through the Badger interchange (WI-30/I-94 east). Is the redesign going to come, at long last?

mgk920

Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 07, 2019, 08:33:42 AM

It would have been a crowded street, but would have largely been fine.  WI-441 isn't *that* busy even during rush hour.  Would have been smarter to use that $$ to expand I-41 instead.  Just another example of how WIDOT has spent too much on alternate corridors instead of increasing the capacity on those where it is needed.

Well, seeing as the Winnebago County part of WI 441 is currently being upgraded to six lanes....

Also, without WI 441, the southeast Appleton area would be far less developed than it is now (that area, including the City of Menasha, was *TOUGH* to get to before WI 441 and that bridge opened!), while the north-south part of the US/I-41 corridor would likely now be eight lanes - that's where all of that SE Appleton area development would have gone.

Mike

The Ghostbuster

I doubt it, thspfc. I've heard nothing about reconfigurating the interchange ramps at the Badger Interchange, either now or in the future. If such an improvement were ever proposed, I would strongly support it. I believe the Badger Interchange should be reconfigured to have only right-hand entrance and exit ramps. The ramps could probably remain one lane wide, as there probably isn't enough traffic to warrant two-lane ramps.

gr8daynegb

Quote from: mgk920 on September 07, 2019, 11:48:52 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on September 07, 2019, 08:33:42 AM

Well, seeing as the Winnebago County part of WI 441 is currently being upgraded to six lanes....

Also, without WI 441, the southeast Appleton area would be far less developed than it is now (that area, including the City of Menasha, was *TOUGH* to get to before WI 441 and that bridge opened!), while the north-south part of the US/I-41 corridor would likely now be eight lanes - that's where all of that SE Appleton area development would have gone.

Mike

And potential I-441 redesignation talks for highway also support area would be less developed, or that much more a pain to drive through.
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

DaBigE

Quote from: thspfc on September 07, 2019, 05:03:01 PM
There's orange barrels on 39/90 northbound through the Badger interchange (WI-30/I-94 east). Is the redesign going to come, at long last?

I HIGHLY doubt it. A big project like that would have had a lot of press. The barrels are likely for some routine maintenance.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

The Ghostbuster

I just checked the Wisconsin DOT website, and it looks like the Interstate 43 reconstruction project from Silver Spring Drive to STH-60 is back in business. However, the Interstate 94 reconstruction and expansion project is still "on hold." I think the latter should have been the priority.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 12, 2019, 02:19:26 PM
I just checked the Wisconsin DOT website, and it looks like the Interstate 43 reconstruction project from Silver Spring Drive to STH-60 is back in business. However, the Interstate 94 reconstruction and expansion project is still "on hold." I think the latter should have been the priority.

I think you are right if judged by simply need.  But I think the former might be easier politically. 

FightingIrish

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on September 12, 2019, 02:19:26 PM
Where does it say that? I checked the 511 site and there's no mention of any of that. Besides, the I-94 project south of Milwaukee is going full steam, and is a very high priority. I see crews working on it every day.

The Ghostbuster

Try here for the Interstate 43 project: https://wisconsindot.gov/Pages/projects/by-region/se/43crdr/default.aspx. As for the Interstate 94 project, I was referring to the one in the city between 70th St. and 16th St. along the East-West Freeway, not the ongoing one between the Mitchell Interchange and the Illinois border.

SEWIGuy

peterj920

With the new budget Interstate 43 was approved as the only new Majors Project. On the major projects portion. Should be complete by 2024. On the Majors page the project is updated. The rest of the pages are not. See the majors timetable to see for yourself below.

https://wisconsindot.gov/Documents/projects/6yr-hwy-impr/maj-hwy/majorlist.pdf

DaBigE

Automated traffic enforcement coming?

QuoteMILWAUKEE – A proposed state bill would let Milwaukee become the first Wisconsin municipality to employ automated traffic enforcement, a controversial measure that is currently illegal in Wisconsin and has found middling results in other American cities that employ it. The bipartisan bill, first read in the Assembly on Aug. 12 and in the state Senate on Sept. 5, would allot the city a trial period of five years to place cameras at signaled intersections and other roadways to automatically enforce speed-limit and red-light violations by sending vehicle owners citations in the mail.

Full Article

SSOWorld

Desperate for $$ since you can't raise gas taxes?  First wheel taxes, now this.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

JoePCool14

As an Illinoisan, I'm very sorry that the dreaded cameras may be migrating north. Especially for speed limit enforcement, that sounds awful.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

DaBigE

Quote from: JoePCool14 on September 18, 2019, 08:50:05 AM
As an Illinoisan, I'm very sorry that the dreaded cameras may be migrating north. Especially for speed limit enforcement, that sounds awful.

Unfortunately, I think WisDOT's hands are kinda tied, especially with projects like the I-94 and I-39 corridors. They either take forever and include breakdown/enforcement lanes as part of the staging or they forgo the extra widths in order to fast-track the staging. The latter means there is no safe place to pull someone over for miles at a time. Speeds are crazy through those construction corridors because A) most drivers are selfish assholes who don't give a damn about anything/one outside of their steel cage, and B) they know the section is nearly impossible to enforce. As much as I don't like the idea of automated enforcement, outside of pace cars and rolling roadblocks, what else can they do to slow people down? Adding extra LEOs only creates a whole new set of PR problems, not to mention the State Patrol cannot legally get any larger.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.