News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Interstate 295- Fayetteville, NC

Started by Strider, January 03, 2013, 01:28:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tolbs17

Quote from: oscar on December 25, 2019, 07:32:11 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on December 25, 2019, 07:22:58 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on December 25, 2019, 06:43:34 PM
I'm sure at night when people put on their high beams you can blind them easily.

No, the solution to that is the DOT's enforcing their illumines for headlights when inspecting.  People who don't go off road don't need the most powerful headlights.....  Those types of lights should be restricted to lightbars on top of off-road vehicles.

Standard headlight assemblies include both low and high beams -- it's not just roof-mounted lightbars. The problem is getting drivers to use only low beams except when there is no other traffic.
That was my point. When I see people driving on the new southwest bypass some people use their high beams and it kind of blinds me when I drive on it :D. There is ABSOLUTELY NO lighting at any interchange whatsoever. So the less lighting you use, the more frequent that people would turn on their high beams.

And to you rickmastfan, normally I see trucks and work vehicles using those type of lights.

rickmastfan67

I'm sure at night when people put on their high beams you can blind them easily.

No, the solution to that is the DOT's enforcing their illumines for headlights when inspecting.  People who don't go off road don't need the most powerful headlights.....  Those types of lights should be restricted to lightbars on top of off-road vehicles.

Standard headlight assemblies include both low and high beams -- it's not just roof-mounted lightbars. The problem is getting drivers to use only low beams except when there is no other traffic.

My car has separate bulbs for each light setting, just saying.

rickmastfan67

Quote from: tolbs17 on December 25, 2019, 07:37:38 PM
So the less lighting you use, the more frequent that people would turn on their high beams.

Trust me, that ain't true.  I've seen people use their high lights all the time in very lighted areas.  They just want to be jerks when it comes to that, and if you flash them to tell them they have them on, they go into 'road rage' mode.

tolbs17

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on December 25, 2019, 07:44:32 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on December 25, 2019, 07:37:38 PM
So the less lighting you use, the more frequent that people would turn on their high beams.

Trust me, that ain't true.  I've seen people use their high lights all the time in very lighted areas.  They just want to be jerks when it comes to that, and if you flash them to tell them they have them on, they go into 'road rage' mode.
Well it did kind of happen where I live where some idiots would turn on their high beams and don't them off when they come from a dark area. That could be a mistake or them trying to commit a crime. We live in the darkest areas so they happen pretty frequently where I live.

And if they go into road-rage mode, call a cop and they can get that problem all sorted out!

sprjus4

Quote from: tolbs17 on December 25, 2019, 07:50:13 PM
And if they go into road-rage mode, call a cop and they can get that problem all sorted out!
Unfortunately, reality doesn't work like that. It's like when anti-gun activists say you don't need a gun for self-defense, if someone breaks into your home, just call the cops.

When the cops show up 15 minutes later, and you had no gun to defend yourself because "you don't need it" , somebody could be dead, and not the suspect.

tolbs17

Quote from: sprjus4 on December 25, 2019, 07:55:30 PM
Unfortunately, reality doesn't work like that. It's like when anti-gun activists say you don't need a gun for self-defense, if someone breaks into your home, just call the cops.

When the cops show up 15 minutes later, and you had no gun to defend yourself because "you don't need it" , somebody could be dead, and not the suspect.
Like them shooting at their own team? I've never had anyone break into my house and do any shootings (which is not frequent in wealthy neighborhoods). Although we've had thieves and someone try to steal food (and it did happen before and i was SO pissed off!) and I had to call the cops. It was a shame >:(

ozarkman417

Quote from: tolbs17 on December 25, 2019, 08:05:54 PM

Like them shooting at their own team? I've never had anyone break into my house and do any shootings (which is not frequent in wealthy neighborhoods). Although we've had thieves and someone try to steal food (and it did happen before and i was SO pissed off!) and I had to call the cops. It was a shame >:(
What did the cops do about that? I've seen many videos where the suspect simply leaves before the cops arrive.

tolbs17

Quote from: ozarkman417 on December 25, 2019, 08:55:38 PM
Quote from: tolbs17 on December 25, 2019, 08:05:54 PM

What did the cops do about that? I've seen many videos where the suspect simply leaves before the cops arrive.
They would take a picture of the suspect, with all the havoc that they did, and they may catch him on camera or run! And he would get taken into custody.

VTGoose

Part of the problem is improvement in lighting that has made for brighter lights (and brighter aftermarket lights for those who aren't happy with dim bulbs). Newer vehicles now have projector lamps instead of the broad scatter of older lamps. What may appear to be high beams may just be more intense lights.
"Get in the fast lane, grandma!  The bingo game is ready to roll!"

D-Dey65

bob7374

A Robeson County bridge over I-95 will be closed for a year and rebuilt as part of the Future I-295 interchange project:
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2020/2020-01-10-robeson-county-bridge-replacement.aspx

bob7374

The latest NCDOT Tentative Letting List has further delayed the start of the last segment of the I-295 Fayetteville Loop. Originally to be let this June, the letting was earlier delayed to November and now to Feb. 16, 2021. This probably guarantees the Loop won't be completed now until 2025.

The latest Letting List changes report: https://connect.ncdot.gov/letting/12%20Month%20Tentative%20Letting%20Library/FEBRUARY%202020%20CHANGES%20REPORT.pdf

D-Dey65

FYI bob, all my photos were taken on December 4, 2019. None were taken on December 5.

bob7374

NCDOT officially approved an ordinance on April 21 that NC 295 is the designation for the Fayetteville Outer Loop for 5.7 miles south of the All American Freeway to Cliffdale Road. The request was actually approved last summer when there was no response to the proposal from the "Route Change Community".  The route change document is at:
https://connect.ncdot.gov/resources/safety/Ordinance%20Packages/2020/2020_04_21.pdf

sprjus4

NCDOT has released revised designs for 6 interchanges along the I-95 Widening Project from Exit 81 to Exit 56, that includes a redesign of the I-295 / I-95 northern interchange from the previous turnaround flyover proposal.

https://poll.cityzenapp.us/7963/

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

bob7374

I have posted recent photos taken by David Johnson driving through the future southern I-295 interchange area along I-95 North, which now includes a couple bridges across the interstate:

Remainder of the photos at: http://www.malmeroads.net/ncfutints/fut295.html#photos

bob7374

I've added more photos from David Johnson taken this past week along the current length of the Fayetteville Outer Loop heading north from Cliffdale Road to I-95, the only I-295 sign still in evidence are at the All American Freeway/Fort Bragg interchange:

Rest of the photos at: http://www.malmeroads.net/ncfutints/fut295.html#photos

sprjus4

New Street View from July 2020 along I-95 in both directions showing progress at the future I-295 southern interchange.

tolbs17

Quote from: sprjus4 on July 25, 2020, 06:48:11 PM
New Street View from July 2020 along I-95 in both directions showing progress at the future I-295 southern interchange.
Nifty. Even with the corona..

Why isn't the quality the best? Unless it was taken by someone?

ARMOURERERIC

Why does it appear that the bridges are not long enough to handle a someday widening of 95 to 8 lanes?

sprjus4

Quote from: tolbs17 on July 26, 2020, 03:04:47 AM
Why isn't the quality the best? Unless it was taken by someone?
That particular imagery doesn't appear to be taken by Google, but rather another company.

I usually don't care for the third party imagery since it's lower quality, but in this particular instance, it's much more updated than Google's so I don't mind it.

sprjus4

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on July 26, 2020, 09:32:35 AM
Why does it appear that the bridges are not long enough to handle a someday widening of 95 to 8 lanes?
Widening on that section to 8 lanes is scheduled to begin next year, from US-301 / I-95 Business to US-301 in Lumberton, then a second project extending down to I-74.

The bridges are long enough to accommodate a new outside lane and a new median lane in each direction.

Strider

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on July 26, 2020, 09:32:35 AM

The bridges are wide enough. I-95 in that section will be widened to 8 lanes with a jersey median, according to the project maps.

sprjus4

The next segment of the I-295 Fayetteville Outer Loop between Cliffdale Rd and US-401 Raeford Rd will be opening to traffic tomorrow, August 19.

Note the bottom part of the release that discusses I-295 vs. NC-295.

This segment appears to have a 70 foot median similar to the segment between the All American Fwy and NC-210 vs. the previous segments that have had a 46 foot median.

Fayetteville Outer Loop to Open at Raeford Road
QuoteFAYETTEVILLE — A 2.7-mile segment of the Fayetteville Outer Loop is expected to open Wednesday afternoon nearly three months ahead of schedule.

Barnhill Contracting Co. of Rocky Mount plans to remove the barriers, uncover the recently installed overhead signs and open the new interchange at Raeford Road, west of the Veterans Affairs hospital, sometime Wednesday after lunch. Drivers then will be able to hop onto Interstate 295 and travel to the Cliffdale Road interchange, which opened in November, and northward to I-95.

"This vital urban loop continues to improve regional mobility and reduce traffic congestion in town,"  said Grady Hunt, the area's representative on the N.C. Board of Transportation. "With this new segment, people living in Hoke County and western Cumberland County will be able to get to Fort Bragg more quickly."

With the new segment, a little more than half (22 miles) of the eventual 39-mile outer loop has been built. The first segment opened in 2003.

The cost to finalize the design, buy the right of way and construct this segment will total about $108 million, after the N.C. Department of Transportation awarded the design-build contract in 2016.

The contract includes completing several bridges that remain under construction immediately south of Raeford Road. That portion of I-295 will open after the NCDOT completes the segment extending south of Raeford Road to Camden Road, which will have an interchange. The NCDOT currently is scheduled to award a construction contract for that segment in August 2022.

The signs for the new Raeford Road segment, as well the segment that opened last fall, say "Interstate 295."  The Federal Highway Administration has allowed NCDOT to designate the entire Outer Loop as I-295. The department eventually will replace the older "N.C. 295"  signs with ones baring the interstate shield.

Drone footage of new segment: https://vimeo.com/446904300/bb75d69af0
Some photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/ncdot/sets/72157715464280492/

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.