News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-49 Coming to Missouri

Started by US71, August 04, 2010, 06:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby5280

Obvious question: is there a time line when construction will start? Hopefully they're not going to put off this "shovel ready" project for a few years.

mvak36

Quote from: Bobby5280 on December 06, 2018, 09:37:19 PM
Obvious question: is there a time line when construction will start? Hopefully they're not going to put off this "shovel ready" project for a few years.

This is what I found earlier:
https://www.joplinglobe.com/news/interstate-project-gets-million-boost-from-federal-grant/article_0d426cc4-f9a5-11e8-be48-57955c14520d.html
QuoteTransportation departments from Missouri and Arkansas have been working on completing this project for about 25 years. according to the press release. An engineer with MoDOT's Southwest District said in June that if the full $25 million was awarded, then state officials could propose to begin working on the project in 2021 or 2022.

From the latest MODOT STIP, it looks they still have some engineering left to do. Hopefully there won't be any more delays. Personally, I'd like it if they can somehow start the construction sometime in 2020.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Gordon

A while back MODOT said there engineering drawings were in an old format and would need to update the software to todays format. I assume the plans they had to let the let the Demolition job this is already some have been updated. Also there is money showing for the construction over view of the project. So they have said they can still do this Quickly.

Bobby5280

A three or four year wait to start construction could end up being costly. The cost of building and repairing highways continues to rise. If they wait too long to get started they'll need a lot more than a $25 million grant to finish the job.

US71

Quote from: Bobby5280 on December 06, 2018, 11:58:35 PM
A three or four year wait to start construction could end up being costly. The cost of building and repairing highways continues to rise. If they wait to long to get started they'll need a lot more than a $25 million grant to finish the job.

It's supposed to be finished 4-5 years from now based on what I have heard.  Probably depends on the terrain.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Henry

Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

ChiMilNet

This may also help take some of the traffic off I-44/US 69 route in Oklahoma that is heading towards DFW and points South and West. I would welcome not having to go through some of those towns in the Northern Part of Oklahoma and then using I-40 to cut over South of there to catch it a bit further South. It certainly doesn't remove all towns, stoplights and speed traps by any means, but I feel the ones in the North of that route are the worst (looking at you, Big Cabin, Pryor Creek, Chouteau, Wagoner, and of course, Muskogee!), and this adds some nice non-stop to that route (plus more scenic). Now if they would make firm plans to complete I-49 through Arkansas, then that would really help with a route to DFW (and avoid Oklahoma's speed traps and unnecessary amount of stoplights altogether). It's a logical connection that needs to be completed!

US71

Bobby5280

Quote from: US71It's supposed to be finished 4-5 years from now based on what I have heard.  Probably depends on the terrain.

That's still way more than enough time for that $25 million grant to be inflated down into insufficient funds to get the job done. I thought they said the project was "shovel ready." To me that term "shovel ready" means the project is ready to start construction right immediately now. Not 4-5 years from now. It's ridiculous. These guys should have construction crews poised almost like runners at the starting gate ready to go NOW. Cost inflation stops for no one. Time is money.

edwaleni

Quote from: Bobby5280 on December 08, 2018, 01:27:54 AM
Quote from: US71It's supposed to be finished 4-5 years from now based on what I have heard.  Probably depends on the terrain.

That's still way more than enough time for that $25 million grant to be inflated down into insufficient funds to get the job done. I thought they said the project was "shovel ready." To me that term "shovel ready" means the project is ready to start construction right immediately now. Not 4-5 years from now. It's ridiculous. These guys should have construction crews poised almost like runners at the starting gate ready to go NOW. Cost inflation stops for no one. Time is money.

Lead times to complete bids, pricing and vendor selection for public projects don't happen overnight.

"shovel ready" really means ready to go to bid.

A contractor or sub can't keep work crews on the bench waiting forever.

The only time I have seen it go faster is when the winning bidder already had another project going nearby. They simply transitioned crews over.

vdeane

I would definitely think that having to re-do an EIS would disqualify it from being "shovel ready".
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

abqtraveler

Quote from: vdeane on December 08, 2018, 10:20:21 PM
I would definitely think that having to re-do an EIS would disqualify it from being "shovel ready".

I didn't see or hear anything to the effect that MoDOT would have to redo their EIS for their portion of the Bella Vista Bypass. Given that MoDOT just awarded a contract to start clearing the I-49 right-of-way leads me to believe that they're a lot closer to construction. Start of construction in 2021 or 2022 would make some sense, as it would take some time to get the ROW cleared of any pre-existing structures, and utilities relocated in advance of construction, so crews can just get in there and get the road built when the construction contract is awarded.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

US71

I noticed this weekend MODOT has already started putting out construction barrels at the 49/71 split.

vdeane

Quote from: abqtraveler on December 08, 2018, 11:30:24 PM
Quote from: vdeane on December 08, 2018, 10:20:21 PM

I didn't see or hear anything to the effect that MoDOT would have to redo their EIS for their portion of the Bella Vista Bypass. Given that MoDOT just awarded a contract to start clearing the I-49 right-of-way leads me to believe that they're a lot closer to construction. Start of construction in 2021 or 2022 would make some sense, as it would take some time to get the ROW cleared of any pre-existing structures, and utilities relocated in advance of construction, so crews can just get in there and get the road built when the construction contract is awarded.
There was a mention of an environmental update posted in the Arkansas I-49 thread.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

mvak36

Quote from: US71 on December 09, 2018, 07:41:48 PM
I noticed this weekend MODOT has already started putting out construction barrels at the 49/71 split.

Is there some other project going on or is this for the structures demolition project awarded last week?

US71

Quote from: mvak36 on December 10, 2018, 09:00:29 AM

Is there some other project going on or is this for the structures demolition project awarded last week?

Well, the DID get approved last week for $25 Million to start working on the road south of Pineville.

mvak36

Quote from: US71 on December 10, 2018, 09:48:59 AM

Well, the DID get approved last week for $25 Million to start working on the road south of Pineville.

I don't think they're that fast lol.

US71

Quote from: mvak36 on December 10, 2018, 09:54:51 AM

May simply be getting ready, unless there was a problem with the cliff north of there.

mvak36

Quote from: US71 on December 10, 2018, 10:27:55 AM
Quote from: mvak36 on December 10, 2018, 09:54:51 AM

May simply be getting ready, unless there was a problem with the cliff north of there.

Fair enough. I wouldn't mind if it was for the bypass work though.

mvak36

I emailed the area engineer about if they moved up their timeline for this project with this grant. He said that there are no changes that he knows of and it's still planned from 2021 to 2022.

skluth

Quote from: US71 on December 07, 2018, 10:29:30 AM
Quote from: Henry on December 07, 2018, 09:46:57 AM
It's about time!

More like 20 years late.

I will believe it when I see it. It was in planning and just around the corner when I moved to Missouri in 1987. I left this year and it still hadn't happened.

MikieTimT

Quote from: skluth on December 12, 2018, 12:47:14 PM
Quote from: US71 on December 07, 2018, 10:29:30 AM
Quote from: Henry on December 07, 2018, 09:46:57 AM
It's about time!

More like 20 years late.

I will believe it when I see it. It was in planning and just around the corner when I moved to Missouri in 1987. I left this year and it still hadn't happened.

Well, it's not every day that you get gifted a grant for $25,000,000.00.  And they had already accepted a bid for clearing out structures in the right of way before that was announced, so it's looking like progress finally.  Arkansas is making good progress on their side of the border as well, so 2023 should be a fair bet.

Gordon

Here is a quote from Talk business & politics article on the Grant money.                "Work on the interchange – the remaining segment of the bypass in Arkansas and the 4.8-mile portion in Missouri – are expected to be completed in early 2022. Designs have been completed and right of way has been purchased for those projects. Before work can start on the Missouri segment, environmental documents need to be updated, and this should be completed in about a year, said Tim Conklin, transportation programs manager for the commission."

mvak36

Quote from: Gordon on December 13, 2018, 11:18:02 AM
Here is a quote from Talk business & politics article on the Grant money.                "Work on the interchange – the remaining segment of the bypass in Arkansas and the 4.8-mile portion in Missouri – are expected to be completed in early 2022. Designs have been completed and right of way has been purchased for those projects. Before work can start on the Missouri segment, environmental documents need to be updated, and this should be completed in about a year, said Tim Conklin, transportation programs manager for the commission."

I found the article you are talking about: https://talkbusiness.net/2018/12/northwest-arkansas-to-receive-25-million-build-grant-for-i-49-bella-vista-bypass/

If they are going to complete everything by early 2022, doesn't that mean they would have to start construction in 2020 on the Missouri side?

MikieTimT

Quote from: mvak36 on December 13, 2018, 11:59:32 AM
Quote from: Gordon on December 13, 2018, 11:18:02 AM

I found the article you are talking about: https://talkbusiness.net/2018/12/northwest-arkansas-to-receive-25-million-build-grant-for-i-49-bella-vista-bypass/

If they are going to complete everything by early 2022, doesn't that mean they would have to start construction in 2020 on the Missouri side?

Although it is less than 5 miles, they need to do an interchange at the current stub-out, and the topography of that terrain will require a fair amount of blasting for cuts and bridges.  I'd bet on 2023 before any of us drive on it.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.