News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverback1065

how are there no rest areas on this entire highway? that's weird

sparker

Quote from: hoosierguy on August 01, 2018, 12:36:52 PM
Perhaps in the long-term this interstate will be worth it but the economic disruption its construction has caused is significant, not to mention the tragic loss of life.

One could say that about almost any Interstate constructed in the 62 years of the system's existence.  Of course, since new significant mileage is relatively rare these days, and media coverage has reached functional saturation, a great deal of attention and scrutiny will be given to these "aftermarket" segments until they've been in use for a while; that includes coverage and/or analysis of all the factors and components of and for the new facility.  The economic impact of such activities can and will be examined to the nth degree; one shouldn't expect any less for projects of such a magnitude.  But that doesn't push the scales toward a universal "no build" environment (despite the wishes and exhortations of certain parties); each project or instance will be judged on its own merit or lack thereof -- and the ultimate judgment will be passed well after the facility is up and running or, conversely, has been consigned to the dustbin of unfulfilled plans now out of the public eye -- the "it was a mistake to build this" vs. "it should have been built while we had the chance" dichotomy.  For better or worse, there will always be some degree of hindsight; that's part & parcel of any public works project these days.

Beltway

Quote from: silverback1065 on August 01, 2018, 04:36:39 PM

Are any planned?  In many cases the original Interstate highways opened without rest areas, which were then completed several years later.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

ITB

Quote from: Beltway on August 01, 2018, 08:16:57 PM
Quote from: silverback1065 on August 01, 2018, 04:36:39 PM

Are any planned?  In many cases the original Interstate highways opened without rest areas, which were then completed several years later.

A rest area was planned and included in Section 3, but construction was deferred to a later date. Here's the pertinent section (verbatim) of the Tier 2 Record of Decision, Section 3: Washington to Crane NSWC:

2.1.7 Rest Areas
As stated in the Tier 1 ROD, the number and locations of rest areas will be determined in Tier 2. This
ROD approves the location and construction of a rest area in Section 3 at County Road 1100N, as
discussed in Section 6.2.1.3 of the FEIS. INDOT may elect to defer the construction of the rest area. If
construction of the rest area is deferred, INDOT may also elect to defer purchase of the right-of-way
needed for the rest area until the rest area is programmed for construction.

Link: https://www.in.gov/indot/projects/files/I69/2011/02/Section3_ROD.pdf

silverback1065

Quote from: sparker on August 01, 2018, 05:15:31 PM
Quote from: hoosierguy on August 01, 2018, 12:36:52 PM
Perhaps in the long-term this interstate will be worth it but the economic disruption its construction has caused is significant, not to mention the tragic loss of life.

One could say that about almost any Interstate constructed in the 62 years of the system's existence.  Of course, since new significant mileage is relatively rare these days, and media coverage has reached functional saturation, a great deal of attention and scrutiny will be given to these "aftermarket" segments until they've been in use for a while; that includes coverage and/or analysis of all the factors and components of and for the new facility.  The economic impact of such activities can and will be examined to the nth degree; one shouldn't expect any less for projects of such a magnitude.  But that doesn't push the scales toward a universal "no build" environment (despite the wishes and exhortations of certain parties); each project or instance will be judged on its own merit or lack thereof -- and the ultimate judgment will be passed well after the facility is up and running or, conversely, has been consigned to the dustbin of unfulfilled plans now out of the public eye -- the "it was a mistake to build this" vs. "it should have been built while we had the chance" dichotomy.  For better or worse, there will always be some degree of hindsight; that's part & parcel of any public works project these days.

it was definitely necessary, should have been built originally with the original interstate plans.  south of memphis is just a waste of time and money.

silverback1065

isn't this the month 69 is supposed to be substantially complete?

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: silverback1065 on August 02, 2018, 07:37:30 AM
isn't this the month 69 is supposed to be substantially complete?
Correct.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

hoosierguy

The interstate is essentially done up to Third Street- lanes are all striped, etc. All of the interchanges are open except the one at Liberty Church Road, which is almost complete. I drove from Sample Road to the split with 37 last Sunday and there still remains paving and striping work to do north of Bloomington. I think even more work needs to be done north of Sample Road.

tdindy88

Back on the subject of rest areas, since I brought it up earlier, I was wondering what people here would think could be good locations for rest areas. I remember the Daviess County one ITB mentioned. I seem to remember that the rest area would be on just one side of the interstate with an interchange set up to allow both sides of the highway to access it. I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a rest area there of course. As for other rest areas, I had two ideas but I'm curious about other suggestions. Going from south to north this would be my thoughts on rest areas along I-69, should INDOT ever feel the need to "program" it.

-Indiana Welcome Center along I-69 around Evansville. To save from the costs of building new ramps I could see one at one of the Evansville interchanges, specifically the Lynch Road exit. The folded diamond interchange creates an available space to the southeast of the interchange, making it fairly easy for northbound traffic to get on and off. The center could also serve southbound traffic through the interchange and could double as an Evansville welcome center for those coming from the north.

-Rest area in northern Daviess County as currently "planned"

-Rest area to be built at one of the planned exits in Morgan County, either at Liberty Church Road south of Martinsville or at Henderson Ford Road to the north. Just one rest  area could be built for traffic on both sides. The location toward the Indianapolis metro area puts this rest area in a similar range as the I-70 rest areas in Plainfield and Greenfield. Alternatively, a whole new rest area (with access from both sides) could be built somewhere between Martinsville and Waverly.

Just some ideas. I can't wait for Section 5 to be finally finished.

hoosierguy

There's no need for a rest area between Bloomington and Indy. That corridor is pretty developed. Somewhere in Daviess County north of Washington makes sense. The stretch between Evansville and Bloomington is pretty desolate and isolated. If you break down there you are SOL.

Rothman

Have to agree with no rest area between Bloomington and Indianapolis.  Even when I lived in the area in the late 1970s, the drive between the two was not onerous.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

mgk920

Quote from: hoosierguy on August 02, 2018, 10:23:55 PM
There's no need for a rest area between Bloomington and Indy. That corridor is pretty developed. Somewhere in Daviess County north of Washington makes sense. The stretch between Evansville and Bloomington is pretty desolate and isolated. If you break down there you are SOL.

Is there a need for any 'NO SERVICES NEXT .... ' warning signs on parts of it?

Mike

billtm

Quote from: mgk920 on August 03, 2018, 01:26:48 AM

Mike

IIRC, there were plenty of 'Next Exit __ Miles' signs along the stretch between Bloomington and Evansville when I drove it, highlighting how sparsely populated that region is.

tdindy88

Well, okay about the rest area between Bloomington to Indianapolis, but I would have been nice to not have to stop in Martinsville or Bloomington for a break. As for lack of services, looking at Google Maps, I see that there's a gas station in Petersburg at SR 61 and SR 57 which has to be about two miles away from the exit. Likewise there's gas stations in Washington no more than two or so miles away, plus one at SR 64 and SR 57 in Oakland City. I would guess that these gas stations keep the true distance between services too low for some kind of signage, we aren't talking 40 miles between "services" virtually anywhere along I-69 when you take driving a mile or two down the road into account.

The point being, I don't know why these haven't been mentioned on logo signs? Speaking of which, I wonder if logo signs are planned for the exits around Bloomington (I think they might already be there though.)

thefro

Quote from: tdindy88 on August 03, 2018, 11:33:49 AM
Well, okay about the rest area between Bloomington to Indianapolis, but I would have been nice to not have to stop in Martinsville or Bloomington for a break. As for lack of services, looking at Google Maps, I see that there's a gas station in Petersburg at SR 61 and SR 57 which has to be about two miles away from the exit. Likewise there's gas stations in Washington no more than two or so miles away, plus one at SR 64 and SR 57 in Oakland City. I would guess that these gas stations keep the true distance between services too low for some kind of signage, we aren't talking 40 miles between "services" virtually anywhere along I-69 when you take driving a mile or two down the road into account.

There's gas stations already at pretty much every intersection that's going to be an exit between Martinsville and Indianapolis, although I suspect most of them will have to be demolished to make way for the exit ramps.

Quote from: tdindy88 on August 03, 2018, 11:33:49 AM
Speaking of which, I wonder if logo signs are planned for the exits around Bloomington (I think they might already be there though.)

There are logo services signs in Bloomington for the major exits (2nd street, 3rd street for sure).  They might not be all up at the moment because of the construction going on.  Anyone who drives though that section will think it's been an Interstate exit for 30-40 years.

mgk920

Quote from: billtm on August 03, 2018, 10:59:23 AM
Quote from: mgk920 on August 03, 2018, 01:26:48 AM
There’s no need for a rest area between Bloomington and Indy. That corridor is pretty developed. Somewhere in Daviess County north of Washington makes sense. The stretch between Evansville and Bloomington is pretty desolate and isolated. If you break down there you are SOL.

Mike

IIRC, there were plenty of 'Next Exit __ Miles' signs along the stretch between Bloomington and Evansville when I drove it, highlighting how sparsely populated that region is.

Interesting to me, too, is that my RMcN shows '10' as the interchange interval on the first segment of I-69 SW of IN 37 in Bloomington.  That is a STARK boundary between 'urban' and 'rural' on an interstate!  :-o

It kind of reminds me of the '5' on the first segment of I-74 west of I-465 in Indianapolis.

Mike

jnewkirk77

The thing we all need to take into account is, most people nowadays have smartphones and other devices that can tell you in seconds where the nearest gas station is, where the nearest restaurants are, and so on.  Rest areas are going by the wayside, as evidenced by the states that are closing (Virginia) or want to close (Iowa) them.

Washington just inked a deal with INDOT to FINALLY take over Business 50 through town, pending a complete revamp of the road. I would hope that as part of the reconstruction that will make it the gateway to the city, they'd work on getting some signs on 69 to direct people to the local restaurants/gas stations/lodging. They're definitely needed!

Beltway

Quote from: jnewkirk77 on August 04, 2018, 10:50:32 AM
The thing we all need to take into account is, most people nowadays have smartphones and other devices that can tell you in seconds where the nearest gas station is, where the nearest restaurants are, and so on.  Rest areas are going by the wayside, as evidenced by the states that are closing (Virginia) or want to close (Iowa) them.

Virginia isn't closing any rest areas.   An idiot governor did that in 2009 to about 15 rest areas, and the next governor reopened all of them.

Rest areas have RESTROOMS, and your smart phone won't serve as a commode.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

hoosierguy

The lanes are striped up to around Walnut Street so you can really see the road taking shape in Bloomington.

thefro

https://www.reporter-times.com/update-on-section/article_d5bc2924-5171-5b32-9234-2196104a12be.html

Still on track for substantial completion by end of August.  Liberty Church Road intersection southbound ramps are supposed to open tonight (so that intersection will be open).

Will be paving/other minor work to go after August.

hoosierguy

I just hope they have two lanes open each way by the end of August, although it seems there will be intermittent lane closures. With students moving to IU over the next couple of weeks, it is important that lane closures be kept to a minimum.

EngineerTM

I was looking at Google maps and noticed that it shows I-69 Section 5 going "over" Tapp Road, which is not correct; Tapp Road is the overpass bridge.

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: thefro on August 06, 2018, 02:09:55 PM
https://www.reporter-times.com/update-on-section/article_d5bc2924-5171-5b32-9234-2196104a12be.html

Still on track for substantial completion by end of August.  Liberty Church Road intersection southbound ramps are supposed to open tonight (so that intersection will be open).

Will be paving/other minor work to go after August.

The last part of that article had this interesting note:

Section 6 update

Surveyors have been out on Section 6 of the I-69 project for some time.

Section 6 runs from where Section 5 ends at Indian Creek Bridge to I-465 in Marion County.

Dietrick said INDOT will not send surveyors onto private property without prior notification.

A notification letter, Dietrick noted, will go out to every parcel owner along the corridor as surveying work enters the area.

"It is a good exchange of information,"  Dietrick said. "We need to know if there is dogs or animals out there and that kind of thing."

INDOT assisted the city of Martinsville in selecting design elements for the stretch of interstate that will traverse the city, and a survey ended last month for local, and some not so local, residents to give input.

"The final determination will be made by the (Martinsville) Aesthetics Committee,"  Dietrick said.

The committee will take the results from the survey into consideration and give extra weight to answers from Morgan County residents.

thefro

https://indianapublicmedia.org/news/i69-section-5-substantial-completion-depends-weather-153656/

Quote from: Indiana Public MediaState officials say they'll know next week if they can meet their August 31st substantial completion deadline for I-69 Section 5.

INDOT Spokesperson for Section 5 Andy Dietrick says contingency plans were built into the current schedule, but most of those rain days have been used. So every rain day will push the completion date back by a day.

"Right now it's a milestone in the project calendar,"  Dietrick says. "It's not a major milestone for contractual, things that are going to have a huge financial impact."

Dietrick says Third Street bridge paving is underway and should be done by Friday. Crews will then begin to finish paving the Second Street bridge.

Striping and signal work could present some restrictions through next week, but Dietrick says construction crews will try to work around IU student move-in times.

hoosierguy

I am going to take a drive on the road this Saturday to check the progress.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.