News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

PA Turnpike News

Started by mightyace, February 16, 2009, 05:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

"Breezewood" should be where the loading/unloading platform is as that's where everyone has to get on and off of the "Turnpike".

jeffandnicole

Quote from: thenetwork on January 03, 2021, 11:34:07 AM
"Breezewood" should be where the loading/unloading platform is as that's where everyone has to get on and off of the "Turnpike".

Everyone?  What about those just taking I-76?

billpa

Here are a couple more...

Pixel 2

jmacswimmer

Quote from: billpa on January 03, 2021, 12:16:49 PM
Here are a couple more... (images snipped)

Hershey needs to update the toll signs now that the PTC eliminated cash  :-D
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

ixnay

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 03, 2021, 12:05:01 PM
Quote from: thenetwork on January 03, 2021, 11:34:07 AM

Everyone?  What about those just taking I-76?

Speaking of I-76, what *would* a Schuylkill Expressway-themed ride look (and feel) like?

ixnay

qguy

Quote from: ixnay on January 03, 2021, 08:25:12 PM
Speaking of I-76, what *would* a Schuylkill Expressway-themed ride look (and feel) like?

ixnay

At certain times of the day, the ride wouldn't move at all.  :-D

jeffandnicole

Quote from: qguy on January 04, 2021, 06:15:44 AM
Quote from: ixnay on January 03, 2021, 08:25:12 PM

ixnay

At certain times of the day, the ride wouldn't move at all.  :-D

:-D :-D

And other times of the day, you'll have the world's fastest roller coaster swerving in and out of the cars.  It won't even be on the tracks...that ride is on the other side of the park!

vdeane

Do people outside of this forum call it the "sure kill"?  If so, parents might be scared to let their kids ride something based on it...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: vdeane on January 04, 2021, 01:14:48 PM
Do people outside of this forum call it the "sure kill"?  If so, parents might be scared to let their kids ride something based on it...

The term has been around since at least the 1960's, if not before, as evidenced in this PDF download which referenced the term in a Philadelphia Evening Bulletin story (The Bulletin may have even been a larger newspaper than the Philadelphia Inquirer, but it folded in the 1980s).

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjBp5S_8oLuAhWNZM0KHfG5DtM4ChAWMAF6BAgFEAI&url=https%3A%2F%2Fjournals.psu.edu%2Fpmhb%2Farticle%2Fdownload%2F44721%2F44442%2F&usg=AOvVaw2TbJvxDUJ1KpLYPoyvI8Io

Someone even mentioned it in this letter to the editor in the Washington Post in 1993: https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/1993/09/05/letter-from-the-sure-kill-expressway/10918354-5ccb-4ce6-a8c1-cdeda7e512b2/

tylert120

ARMOURERERIC

The PATC has announced that tomorrow,  a new project will begin for the total reconstruction to 6 lanes from MP 101 to 110.

Roadsguy

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on January 10, 2021, 08:51:29 PM
The PATC has announced that tomorrow,  a new project will begin for the total reconstruction to 6 lanes from MP 101 to 110.

So between the Laurel Hill Tunnel bypass and the Somerset Interchange. This will, I believe, be the first fully six-lane section of Turnpike on the I-70 concurrency, not counting any climbing lanes.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Crown Victoria

Quote from: Roadsguy on January 11, 2021, 12:57:17 AM

So between the Laurel Hill Tunnel bypass and the Somerset Interchange. This will, I believe, be the first fully six-lane section of Turnpike on the I-70 concurrency, not counting any climbing lanes.

This also means there will be no more original 1940 Turnpike remaining west of the Allegheny Tunnel, save for the bypassed Laurel Hill Tunnel. All other sections between Irwin and the Allegheny Tunnel were already reconstructed, if not widened to six lanes.

The section just east of the Allegheny Tunnel (including removal of the church steps) is due to begin reconstruction in early 2022. Replacement of the Tunnel itself...that may be a while yet.

jemacedo9

Quote from: Crown Victoria on January 11, 2021, 08:26:37 AM

This also means there will be no more original 1940 Turnpike remaining west of the Allegheny Tunnel, save for the bypassed Laurel Hill Tunnel. All other sections between Irwin and the Allegheny Tunnel were already reconstructed, if not widened to six lanes.

The section just east of the Allegheny Tunnel (including removal of the church steps) is due to begin reconstruction in early 2022. Replacement of the Tunnel itself...that may be a while yet.

I believe that is all correct...even though the website says all of the miles between MP 67 and the Allegheny Tunnel have been reconstructed.  Unfortunately, many of those miles were the earliest reconstruction projects, before the decision to widen to 6 lanes consistently.  So those miles may be some of the last to get widened to 6 lanes.

I didn't realize that all of the miles east of MP 110 had been reconstructed.  I knew quite a few were...but not all.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Crown Victoria on January 11, 2021, 08:26:37 AM

As with many parts of the "mountain" part of the East-West Mainline of the Penn Pike, it is a long way between the interchanges at Somerset and Bedford (around 37 miles) and Bedford and Breezewood (around 16 miles).  I have to wonder if PTC is going consider adding interchanges to serve some of the smaller towns like New Baltimore and Everett which the Turnpike now bypasses?  No expensive toll plazas or trumpet-to-trumpet interchanges needed any longer at such locations.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Ketchup99

I hesitate to describe New Baltimore as a "town," but Everett would certainly warrant an interchange.

MASTERNC

It's a shame they didn't build the 85-94 and 110-123 sections (rebuilt in the early 2000s) didn't have space to easily add a third lane outside of the climbing lanes.  They will be bottlenecks for a long time, especially during holidays, as I doubt the Turnpike will go back to widen them before they reconstruct most of the remaining Turnpike.

Gnutella

Random thought: Since Harrisburg has Turnpike interchanges named Harrisburg West (I-83) and Harrisburg East (I-283), I think the Turnpike Commission should rename a few interchanges outside of Pittsburgh and Philadelphia to give people more of a hint that you can use those interchanges to access each city, and fort more consistency in naming. For example, I think Cranberry (I-79) should be renamed Pittsburgh North, Pittsburgh (I-376/U.S. 22) should be renamed Pittsburgh East, Valley Forge (I-76/U.S. 422) should be renamed Philadelphia West, Fort Washington (PA 309) should be renamed Philadelphia North, and Delaware Valley (I-95) should be renamed Philadelphia East.

Mr_Northside

I actually like having the exit names be more local to where they are at. For example, technically the interchange in Monroeville is called "Pittsburgh", but I'd change it to "Monroeville".  The control cities can be for the bigger, more "important" destinations.   But that's just, like, my opinion, man.

I'm curious as to how long the names will last once (*if* - I still believe it's the plan) they have free-flowing mainline toll gantries instead of at the interchanges.  Not saying they'll even get rid of the names (and I don't really want them to), but over the course of time, I wouldn't be surprised if they get removed for just the exit number.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

MASTERNC

Quote from: Mr_Northside on January 11, 2021, 02:27:52 PM
I actually like having the exit names be more local to where they are at. For example, technically the interchange in Monroeville is called "Pittsburgh", but I'd change it to "Monroeville".  The control cities can be for the bigger, more "important" destinations.   But that's just, like, my opinion, man.

I'm curious as to how long the names will last once (*if* - I still believe it's the plan) they have free-flowing mainline toll gantries instead of at the interchanges.  Not saying they'll even get rid of the names (and I don't really want them to), but over the course of time, I wouldn't be surprised if they get removed for just the exit number.

On that note, maybe they'll finally give Mid-County two exit numbers, one for 476 traffic and one for WB 276 traffic (instead of saying it is Exit 20 for both).

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Ketchup99 on January 11, 2021, 10:05:22 AM
I hesitate to describe New Baltimore as a "town," but Everett would certainly warrant an interchange.

It does not need to be there, but having access near there to PA-31 would be a good idea.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Roadsguy

Quote from: MASTERNC on January 11, 2021, 03:16:42 PM

On that note, maybe they'll finally give Mid-County two exit numbers, one for 476 traffic and one for WB 276 traffic (instead of saying it is Exit 20 for both).

I definitely hope they do this when they eventually move to open-road tolling. "Exit 20" as it exists today may have been a necessity of the ticket system, but it also only makes sense with the ticket system that will no longer exist. (There are already no actual tickets since everything's all-electronic, but everything still behaves like E-ZPass on the ticket system always did.) Logical numbering would be 20 for I-476 and 334 for I-276.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Roadsguy on January 11, 2021, 11:29:15 PM

I definitely hope they do this when they eventually move to open-road tolling. "Exit 20" as it exists today may have been a necessity of the ticket system, but it also only makes sense with the ticket system that will no longer exist. (There are already no actual tickets since everything's all-electronic, but everything still behaves like E-ZPass on the ticket system always did.) Logical numbering would be 20 for I-476 and 334 for I-276.

Actually, true *logical* numbering, if you're on I-476, would be I-276 West is Exit 20B, and I-276 is Exit 20A.  I-476 wouldn't have an exit number, because it simply continues as I-476...it doesn't even exit itself like some highways.

Roadsguy

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 12, 2021, 09:20:19 AM
Quote from: Roadsguy on January 11, 2021, 11:29:15 PM

Actually, true *logical* numbering, if you're on I-476, would be I-276 West is Exit 20B, and I-276 is Exit 20A.  I-476 wouldn't have an exit number, because it simply continues as I-476...it doesn't even exit itself like some highways.

That's what I meant; I just worded it poorly. 20A/B for 276 east/west from I-476 (with 20B northbound being the Germantown Pike/Plymouth Road exit) and 334 A/B for 476 south/north from I-276 (with the eastbound exit being just 334 due to the lack of a direct EB-SB movement) is exactly what I had in mind.

D-Dey65

Quote from: jmacswimmer on January 03, 2021, 01:30:29 PM
Quote from: billpa on January 03, 2021, 12:16:49 PM
Here are a couple more... (images snipped)

Hershey needs to update the toll signs now that the PTC eliminated cash  :-D
I'm not so sure. It looks like fun either way, even if you've been capable of doing the real thing for decades.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.