News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Favorite Sports Commentators?

Started by CoreySamson, October 20, 2021, 12:28:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoreySamson

Who is your favorite sports commentator (or sports radio commentator)? Here are my favorites:

- Marc Vandermeer and Andre Ware (flagship radio commentators for the Houston Texans; they are absolutely brilliant and my absolute favorite)

- Gary Danielson and Verne Lundquist (CBS commentators for SEC games, nostalgia from watching LSU games as a kid)

- Al Michaels and Cris Collinsworth (SNF)

- Tony Romo (CBS)
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

on_wisconsin

"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

JayhawkCO

Quote from: CoreySamson on October 20, 2021, 12:28:58 PM
Cris Collinsworth (SNF)

Up there for my least favorite.

My favorites (some no longer doing games) - Gus Johnson, Keith Jackson, Brent Musberger, Tony Romo, Ian Darke, Gary Thorne, Ray Hudson, Bob Davis.  Keith Jackson was probably my favorite.  He just made every game he announced seem like it was the biggest game ever.

Chris

SP Cook

As long as an announcer is competent, I really don't care. 

Jim Nantz is the gold standard on golf. 

Pro football announcers are all so league controlled, one is the same as the next.

In hockey, I prefer the ex-NBC team now on TNT to the ESPN crew. 

Baseball, on a national basis, Costas is the gold standard. 

In local baseball, TV and radio, roughly the bigger the market, the worse the announcers.  One exception is Steiner, who is very good. 

NASCAR so controls the announcers that it makes the racing unwatchable.

Max Rockatansky

^^^

MRN used to be the real way to listen to a NASCAR.  More so if you had a scanner while at the race track.  They didn't really hold back on the opinions very much.

WillWeaverRVA

Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

74/171FAN

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 20, 2021, 01:39:04 PM
^^^

MRN used to be the real way to listen to a NASCAR.  More so if you had a scanner while at the race track.  They didn't really hold back on the opinions very much.

I learned recently that I could listen to MRN/PRN via the NASCAR.com leaderboard for free.  It is much better than wondering if something odd got missed by TV.

I would say that Mike Joy is the best NASCAR announcer at this point.  The others recently have never really come close.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

NWI_Irish96

NFL - Nantz and Romo are the gold standard, though I don't dislike Collinsworth as much as most do. Nantz is also the gold standard for golf.

College Football - Really like Gus Johnson and Joe Tessitore, though neither of their partners do anything for me.

MLB - Biased as a White Sox fan, but I think Jason Benetti is fantastic. Also love him on the call for college football.

Can't stand Joe Buck on anything he does.

Used to like Bob Costas but now he injects his political opinion into everything and I can't stand that, even when I agree with him.

As a jack of all trades, I like Paul Burmeister, who has done football, basketball and olympics play by play and has been the studio host for the Tour de France. Currently the radio voice of ND football.

Also on the dislike side is just about anybody that has a national/syndicated TV/radio talk show, despite never having played at a high level. Colin Cowherd, Tony Kornkeiser, Jim Rome, Chris Russo, Den LeBetard, and Doug Gottlieb are all people I'll turn off immediately every time I hear one of their voices.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

74/171FAN

QuoteMLB - Biased as a White Sox fan, but I think Jason Benetti is fantastic. Also love him on the call for college football.

What did you think of Hawk Harrelson?  Did you love his enthusiasm for the White Sox all the time, or were you annoyed at how biased he always was?

I could not watch a White Sox game back when they were on WGN from time-to-time because the bias was so blatant IMO.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 20, 2021, 02:42:38 PM
QuoteMLB - Biased as a White Sox fan, but I think Jason Benetti is fantastic. Also love him on the call for college football.

What did you think of Hawk Harrelson?  Did you love his enthusiasm for the White Sox all the time, or were you annoyed at how biased he always was?

I could not watch a White Sox game back when they were on WGN from time-to-time because the bias was so blatant IMO.

As a White Sox fan, I wasn't annoyed by his bias (all team-affiliated announcers are biased). I was annoyed by his style though. Former players really should stick to analyst roles and not play by play. Bob Uecker is the only one I can think of that's been really good at it.

JayhawkCO

Is he the "He gone" guy?

Chris

jeffandnicole

There would be more of an issue if an announcer for their own team wasn't biased.

Of course, if the bias goes overboard, that's a problem. If a play was obvious one way or the other, gotta call it properly. But if the announcer is joyful over a great play or a home run, that's perfectly fine and to be expected.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: jayhawkco on October 20, 2021, 02:56:34 PM

Is he the "He gone" guy?

Chris

Yes, that's him. He retired 2 years ago.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: cabiness42 on October 20, 2021, 04:09:11 PM

Is he the "He gone" guy?

Chris

Yes, that's him. He retired 2 years ago.

I haven't followed baseball closely in a while, but when I did was a big Twins fan so he always annoyed me since we had a nice little rivalry for a while in the early 2000's.  I'm sure it was just as much bias from me as it was his style/capabilities.

Chris

74/171FAN

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 20, 2021, 04:05:55 PM

There would be more of an issue if an announcer for their own team wasn't biased.

Of course, if the bias goes overboard, that's a problem. If a play was obvious one way or the other, gotta call it properly. But if the announcer is joyful over a great play or a home run, that's perfectly fine and to be expected.

I agree, but the Hawk went overboard to the point that he called the other team the "bad guys".

Takumi

Baseball: Vin Scully, Gary Thorne, Jim Palmer, Dick Stockton (mainly because he says error as "era"  and I find that amusing for some reason), Ron Darling, Dennis Eckersley. Matt Vasgersian and John Smoltz are both all right depending on their partner (each other, for example). Kevin "Not The Pitcher"  Brown is a good young up-and-coming play by play guy for the Orioles. Last place: A-Rod.

NASCAR: Bob Jenkins (RIP), Ned Jarrett, Neil Bonnett (RIP), Dale Jarrett, Ken Squier, and I'm the one guy who actually likes Jeff Burton in the booth. Mike Joy is fine, but his voice no longer has the bounciness it did 30 years ago.

Other motorsports: Murray Walker (RIP), Bob Varsha, Paul Page, David Hobbs, Bobby Unser (RIP), Alex Jacques, Martin Brundle, Nico Rosberg, Jenson Button, Karun Chandhok.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

NWI_Irish96

I almost forgot to mention my favorite set of commentators: Curt Gowdy, Jim Palmer, Tim McCarver, Dick Vitale, Mel Allen and Dr. Joyce Brothers.

Alps

Quote from: cabiness42 on October 20, 2021, 02:47:18 PM

As a White Sox fan, I wasn't annoyed by his bias (all team-affiliated announcers are biased). I was annoyed by his style though. Former players really should stick to analyst roles and not play by play. Bob Uecker is the only one I can think of that's been really good at it.
I wish the Yankees announcers were biased. John calls opposing home runs with equal enthusiasm

74/171FAN

^But John Sterling does not have special HR calls for the opponents (or does he???)

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Takumi on October 20, 2021, 05:18:41 PM
Baseball: Vin Scully, Gary Thorne, Jim Palmer, Dick Stockton (mainly because he says error as "era"  and I find that amusing for some reason), Ron Darling, Dennis Eckersley. Matt Vasgersian and John Smoltz are both all right depending on their partner (each other, for example). Kevin "Not The Pitcher"  Brown is a good young up-and-coming play by play guy for the Orioles. Last place: A-Rod.

NASCAR: Bob Jenkins (RIP), Ned Jarrett, Neil Bonnett (RIP), Dale Jarrett, Ken Squier, and I'm the one guy who actually likes Jeff Burton in the booth. Mike Joy is fine, but his voice no longer has the bounciness it did 30 years ago.

Other motorsports: Murray Walker (RIP), Bob Varsha, Paul Page, David Hobbs, Bobby Unser (RIP), Alex Jacques, Martin Brundle, Nico Rosberg, Jenson Button, Karun Chandhok.

No Allen Bestwick?
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Takumi

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on October 20, 2021, 09:20:10 PM
Quote from: Takumi on October 20, 2021, 05:18:41 PM
Baseball: Vin Scully, Gary Thorne, Jim Palmer, Dick Stockton (mainly because he says error as “era” and I find that amusing for some reason), Ron Darling, Dennis Eckersley. Matt Vasgersian and John Smoltz are both all right depending on their partner (each other, for example). Kevin “Not The Pitcher” Brown is a good young up-and-coming play by play guy for the Orioles. Last place: A-Rod.

NASCAR: Bob Jenkins (RIP), Ned Jarrett, Neil Bonnett (RIP), Dale Jarrett, Ken Squier, and I’m the one guy who actually likes Jeff Burton in the booth. Mike Joy is fine, but his voice no longer has the bounciness it did 30 years ago.

No Allen Bestwick?

He’s all right, but I wouldn’t call him a favorite. Honestly my more glaring omission was Dr. Jerry Punch.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Takumi

^^^

They're still around. When I worked at the tire shop last year, Dave Moody came in with a flat as we were the closest shop to RIR. The other MRN guys came to pick him up.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

KeithE4Phx

Is he the "He gone" guy?

Chris

Yes.  He gone.  A couple years ago.  Thank God, and I'm saying this as a lifelong White Sox fan.  Jason Benetti and Steve Stone are the best Sox broadcast team ever -- even better than Harry Caray and Jimmy Piersall in the late '70s.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

TheHighwayMan3561

You know, I'm not really sure I have a *current* favorite broadcaster. I loved Pat Summerall, Dick Stockton (before those guys went down the hill), Keith Jackson, Sam Rosen, Brent on college football. I know Brent is still on Raiders radio and Rosen with the NY Rangers TV, but I'm not sure how much of a fastball those two guys still have. Kenny Albert keeps getting kicked down the charts at FOX.

Joe Buck has gotten a lot better in my book as he started to be himself, sometime around 2012-13.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

kenarmy

Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 20, 2021, 02:00:07 PM
^^^

I learned recently that I could listen to MRN/PRN via the NASCAR.com leaderboard for free.  It is much better than wondering if something odd got missed by TV.

I would say that Mike Joy is the best NASCAR announcer at this point.  The others recently have never really come close.
I agree with this. I enjoyed Darrell Waltrip's "boogity, boogity, boogity! let's go racing boys!" though.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.