News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

US 79 extended -- Russellville, KY

Started by hbelkins, November 05, 2017, 07:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Captain Jack

I travel between Bowling Green and Clarksville regularly, and I can't imagine ever using that southern bypass. I get the map may be a little off scale, but it looks like it is nearly 3X the distance than just taking 3240. Russellville just isn't that big.

rickmastfan67

TheStranger

Does this make KY 100 the new terminus for US 79?  Still fascinated at how after all these years, there's a short gap between US 79 and KY 79 even though they essentially form one corridor.
Chris Sampang

bugo

That's an unusual extension, but I guess it makes as much sense as anything given the situation.

usends

That's US 79's third Russellville terminus within a span of 10 years.  But now it makes a little more sense why they cut it back to the US 431 junction in 2007.

Quote from: TheStranger on November 06, 2017, 06:08:24 PM
Does this make KY 100 the new terminus for US 79?
No, US 79 will extend a bit past KY 100 to end at its junction with US 68.

Quote from: Captain Jack on November 05, 2017, 11:09:44 PM
I travel between Bowling Green and Clarksville regularly, and I can't imagine ever using that southern bypass. I get the map may be a little off scale, but it looks like it is nearly 3X the distance than just taking 3240. Russellville just isn't that big.
The map is actually to scale, so yeah, it's at least twice the distance.  I imagine the goal here is to keep thru trucks out of the downtown area, but for smaller vehicles, it doesn't make sense to use the bypass.
usends.com - US highway endpoints, photos, maps, and history

sparker

So it's back to actually intersecting US 68 again.  Question to local posters: were there US 79 trailblazers posted anywhere along US 68 during the disconnected years directing traffic to US 79?

bugo

They should extend it along KY 79 to the Indiana line, then along IN 135 to Indianapolis, then along I-465 counterclockwise to IN 37 north to Marion, then along IN 9 to the Michigan line, then along M-66 to US 31 in Charlevoix.

hbelkins

Quote from: sparker on November 06, 2017, 08:12:19 PM
So it's back to actually intersecting US 68 again.  Question to local posters: were there US 79 trailblazers posted anywhere along US 68 during the disconnected years directing traffic to US 79?

My last visit there was in 2012, and nothing was posted then.

Mapmikey

Quote from: sparker on November 06, 2017, 08:12:19 PM

Used to be US 79 Truck signs on the 68 Bypass WB from at least KY 79 west and around...

edwaleni

Due to U.S. Department of Transportation's Better Utilizing Investments to Leverage Development (BUILD) grants the following will be funded for FY2021.

$13.5 million for replacement of four bridges on U.S. Route 79 in Russellville, Ky., including one over CSX Transportation tracks that will increase clearance for trains.

rte66man

Wonder why the Google Street View car hasn't driven most of the southern bypass yet. I wanted to follow the trailblazers for US79.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

STLmapboy

Quote from: rte66man on September 23, 2020, 10:38:20 PM
Wonder why the Google Street View car hasn't driven most of the southern bypass yet. I wanted to follow the trailblazers for US79.
They're just not that into rural Kentucky.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

hbelkins

Go to the KYTC photo viewer. Unlike Google Maps, you can push a "play" button and it will automatically advance the images forward.

Tom958

Quote from: STLmapboy on September 24, 2020, 09:19:17 AM
They're just not that into rural Kentucky.

You should try eastern Kentucky. The slums of Manila and Lima have far better coverage. I find it infuriating.

kenarmy

You cant scare me like that I got excited and thought it was extended to subsume SR 79 😫.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.