News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Illinois Tollway Notes

Started by I-39, March 21, 2016, 10:08:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revive 755

^ For the Hinsdale and O'Hare, they are only removing the bridge part.  The gas stations are going to stay.

As busy as the Belvidere Oasis can be - there have been lines for the gas pumps a couple of times - I sometimes wonder if it would be worth putting another Oasis in closer to the Wisconsin border, possibly near Roscoe.

ilpt4u

Quote from: ChiMilNet on December 09, 2018, 10:44:50 AM
Quote from: abefroman329 on December 09, 2018, 10:12:16 AM
Quote from: ChiMilNet on December 08, 2018, 06:00:00 PM
Quote from: Revive 755 on December 07, 2018, 09:52:52 PM
Quote from: ChiMilNet on December 02, 2018, 08:33:37 AM
Any update on when construction on the ramps will start and when what remains of the oasis will be closed/demolished? I haven't been able to find much.

December 6 press release from the Tollway regarding the rest of the Des Plains Oasis closing on December 14.

Well, there goes one of my main fuel stops when heading back to the city from the burbs. However, the improvement of mobility in the area will be a huge benefit. It's just too bad they can't consider rebuilding even a trimmed down version of the oasis somewhere (though I guess there is the issue of where would they even have the room to do it now).
There may not be a financial incentive for them to do so. The fact is, as the Tollways are used for commuting more often and for long-distance travel less often, the Oases are going to start disappearing.

Well, the Belvidere and DeKalb ones likely aren't going anywhere (and hopefully not the Lake Forest one either), especially considering that they are more on long distance routes (plus, there are hardly any other fuel stops and services on I-88 for miles). Still, I always liked the "perk" of having the oasis on the tollways, but, I admit, as more of a weekend thing. However, I understand the reason for closing the Des Plaines and O'Hare Oasis.
Are you nuts? The DeKalb Oasis is within a few miles of the Annie Glidden Rd Exit off I-88, which feeds DeKalb, a college town/NIU, with all kinds of food and services and fuel options.

I would say the only reason the Food and Fuel options are not immediately off I-88 is because of the Oasis. But they are there, within a mile of the Tollway

The Rochelle Exit/IL 251 is a free exit, both directions, and has food and fuel options, not too awful far from DeKalb

tribar

Quote from: Revive 755 on December 09, 2018, 12:15:12 PM
^ For the Hinsdale and O'Hare, they are only removing the bridge part.  The gas stations are going to stay.

As busy as the Belvidere Oasis can be - there have been lines for the gas pumps a couple of times - I sometimes wonder if it would be worth putting another Oasis in closer to the Wisconsin border, possibly near Roscoe.

There's already a welcome center there, isn't there? If they build another oasis I'd prefer it be around Elgin.

SSOWorld

Quote from: tribar on December 09, 2018, 03:44:38 PM

There's already a welcome center there, isn't there? If they build another oasis I'd prefer it be around Elgin.
Also State Street in Rockford is a free exit and has plentiful gas and food.  Right in between.  Belvidere and the S Beloit toll.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

ChiMilNet

Quote from: ilpt4u on December 09, 2018, 03:08:49 PM
Any update on when construction on the ramps will start and when what remains of the oasis will be closed/demolished? I haven't been able to find much.

December 6 press release from the Tollway regarding the rest of the Des Plains Oasis closing on December 14.

Well, there goes one of my main fuel stops when heading back to the city from the burbs. However, the improvement of mobility in the area will be a huge benefit. It's just too bad they can't consider rebuilding even a trimmed down version of the oasis somewhere (though I guess there is the issue of where would they even have the room to do it now).
There may not be a financial incentive for them to do so. The fact is, as the Tollways are used for commuting more often and for long-distance travel less often, the Oases are going to start disappearing.

Well, the Belvidere and DeKalb ones likely aren't going anywhere (and hopefully not the Lake Forest one either), especially considering that they are more on long distance routes (plus, there are hardly any other fuel stops and services on I-88 for miles). Still, I always liked the "perk" of having the oasis on the tollways, but, I admit, as more of a weekend thing. However, I understand the reason for closing the Des Plaines and O'Hare Oasis.
Are you nuts? The DeKalb Oasis is within a few miles of the Annie Glidden Rd Exit off I-88, which feeds DeKalb, a college town/NIU, with all kinds of food and services and fuel options.

I would say the only reason the Food and Fuel options are not immediately off I-88 is because of the Oasis. But they are there, within a mile of the Tollway

The Rochelle Exit/IL 251 is a free exit, both directions, and has food and fuel options, not too awful far from DeKalb
Don't forget about the stretch of I-88 West of Rochelle, where there is absolutely nothing for miles (that would be an ever better candidate for an oasis honestly). Fair enough about Dekalb, though that requires paying an extra toll, and since nothing is right by the tollway, that is quite a deterrent (travelers can be hesitant to have to go through or into the town if not needed). Also, in Rochelle, nothing right off the tollway in terms of services that I've seen (regardless if it's a free exit). Long story short, the oasis in Dekalb serves its purpose well, and that was mostly my point.

ET21

Get off at IL-83, not even 1/4 mile north or south there are gas stations and food. It's time for the Des Plaines oasis to die off
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

ilpt4u

Quote from: ChiMilNet on December 10, 2018, 08:18:37 AM
Quote from: ilpt4u on December 09, 2018, 03:08:49 PM

Don't forget about the stretch of I-88 West of Rochelle, where there is absolutely nothing for miles (that would be an ever better candidate for an oasis honestly). Fair enough about Dekalb, though that requires paying an extra toll, and since nothing is right by the tollway, that is quite a deterrent (travelers can be hesitant to have to go through or into the town if not needed). Also, in Rochelle, nothing right off the tollway in terms of services that I've seen (regardless if it's a free exit). Long story short, the oasis in Dekalb serves its purpose well, and that was mostly my point.
Unless it closed in the last few years since I moved to SoIL, there is a Shell gas station at the end of the ramps on the North side of I-88. Also, taking I-39 North to the IL 38 exit for Rochelle, there is a sizable truck stop

Between Rochelle and Dixon, not a whole lot. Dixon is a free exit with plenty of services, tho

And I would bet, that if/when the DeKalb Oasis goes away, DeKalb would work with the Tollway to make the Annie Glidden Rd Exit free, to encourage Motorists to continue to use DeKalb as a highway stop

JREwing78

On the three mile free I-39/90 stretch prior to the beginning of the tollway, there's two exits (IL 75, Rockton Rd) with truck stops, and a standard freeway rest area (no trucks allowed). The Hwy 81 exit just over the Wisconsin line also has fuel opportunities. I never felt like an oasis was particularly necessary north of Rockford.

The DeKalb Oasis always seemed busy enough to warrant its existence. I don't know that I-88 west of Rochelle gets enough traffic to make an oasis there financially viable - a lot of I-88 traffic melts away to I-39.

ToddC

Rumor is that a truck stop will finally be built at the Il 40/I-88 interchange (Exit41) within a year or so. Land owner passed away and Rock Falls (and the kids) want to get that area developed for the additional tax revenue. There is a nice new Casey's, open 24/7, a half mile off the same exit. BTW, the Walmart gas station in Dixon consistently has the cheapest gas along I-88 and in the area. It's worth the extra 2 minutes during the day. They close at midnight.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: ChiMilNet on December 09, 2018, 12:05:12 PM
The Tollway already confirmed that the Hinsdale Oasis is to be removed, though Hinsdale is trying to fight it.

The way that this is phrased makes me wonder if Hinsdale is considering dropping or moderating its opposition to the 294 expansion project if the Tollway rebuilds the oasis.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

ChiMilNet

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on December 11, 2018, 06:45:34 PM
The Tollway already confirmed that the Hinsdale Oasis is to be removed, though Hinsdale is trying to fight it.

The way that this is phrased makes me wonder if Hinsdale is considering dropping or moderating its opposition to the 294 expansion project if the Tollway rebuilds the oasis.

There is virtually no chance that the tollway would rebuild the oasis, certainly not at that location. As it is, the oasis is right by a merge from ramps connecting I-55 and I-294, so even without the space issues, the proximity of it to those ramps is problematic for traffic flow. When they proceed to expand as planned, the tollway will probably need much of that ROW for expansion and to improve the merge, so I don't see how they'd be able to rebuild it even if they wanted to.

Honestly, Hinsdale is fighting a losing battle. Since the tollway owns the land, I really don't see what they can honestly do beyond voice their opposition.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: ChiMilNet on December 12, 2018, 12:08:47 AM

There is virtually no chance that the tollway would rebuild the oasis, certainly not at that location. As it is, the oasis is right by a merge from ramps connecting I-55 and I-294, so even without the space issues, the proximity of it to those ramps is problematic for traffic flow. When they proceed to expand as planned, the tollway will probably need much of that ROW for expansion and to improve the merge, so I don't see how they'd be able to rebuild it even if they wanted to.

Honestly, Hinsdale is fighting a losing battle. Since the tollway owns the land, I really don't see what they can honestly do beyond voice their opposition.
I think they are keeping the gas / 7-11 there o'hare as well.

abefroman329

Quote from: Joe The Dragon on December 12, 2018, 12:20:05 AM
Quote from: ChiMilNet on December 12, 2018, 12:08:47 AM

I think they are keeping the gas / 7-11 there o'hare as well.
I would think they'd keep the gas and 7-11 anywhere they could, unless they're losing money and/or they cant find a franchisee to operate them.

hobsini2

Probably not at Roscoe since the Rockton Rd and IL 75 exits have big truck plazas right next to the interstate.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

hobsini2

Actually, the welcome center is just north of the tollway part between Rockton Rd and IL 75.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Looks like the tollway at may have new owner. The pension funds. I have suggested this for a long time. It lets the tollway pursue profitable projects and there are several authorized in onto 2050 like the HOT lanes and IL 53.The crosstown and Iliana are still there if they become viable.Also bipartisan legislation approved ousting the board . There is still no new director of head of IDOT yet.
Question on valuation. Ontario Teachers Pension Fund bought the Skyway for 2 billion. What is tollway worth?

SSOWorld

Quote from: 3467 on February 10, 2019, 04:30:30 PM
Looks like the tollway at may have new owner. The pension funds. I have suggested this for a long time. It lets the tollway pursue profitable projects and there are several authorized in onto 2050 like the HOT lanes and IL 53.The crosstown and Iliana are still there if they become viable.Also bipartisan legislation approved ousting the board . There is still no new director of head of IDOT yet.
Question on valuation. Ontario Teachers Pension Fund bought the Skyway for 2 billion. What is tollway worth?
[citation needed]
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

abefroman329

paulthemapguy

Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

Capitol Fax Blog under older posts from last Friday.

MNHighwayMan

Because we all know blogs are a paragon of reliable information.

You can check todays. I mention it because it links to a number of news articles on the subject.

kphoger

And I mention that you haven't linked to anything.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

It is easily googled it you actually care

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.