News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Least Favorite Interstate Segment in Your State.

Started by sparker, May 05, 2020, 03:37:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

epzik8

The Capital Beltway between the Wilson Bridge and the I-95 split.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Ketchup99

Quote from: Roadmaestro95 on May 11, 2020, 11:36:15 PM
Least favorite interstate segment in NY based on worst traffic: I-78. I hate being stuck in traffic. I hate tunnels. And there's something about the Holland Tunnel that every time I find myself in it, I'm in traffic. Bah!
Okay, but as soon as you get out of the tunnel you get to... wait, I'm hearing that it's driving 25mph on 14th Street in Jersey City? Then seconded.
BONUS: Least favorite interstate segment I've driven on outside on NY: A tie between I-80 in NJ between the Delaware Water Gap and Netcong AND the Connecticut Turnpike (I-95) between NY and New Haven. The winding hills at 65 MPH isn't fun to me, and is so much worse at night, especially when folks are driving way past 65 MPH. And the CT TPK. is always under construction at terrible times, and I also hit that traffic all the time. Makes the easy 2.5 trip from Middletown to LI much much unnecessarily longer than it should.
Living in central PA, after two hours on I-80 and the crap that is Stroudsburg, having more than two lanes once you cross the state line is pure bliss. And I genuinely like the CT Turnpike, although I have a soft spot for it because it's the second non-central-PA freeway I drove on and the first with actual traffic. Pure coincidence, but the first was... I-80 from the PA line to Exit 25 near Netcong. I guess it's a small world  :)

zzcarp

Quote from: jayhawkco on May 11, 2020, 11:18:06 PM
Quote from: Elm on May 11, 2020, 10:20:54 PM
The limited alternate routes also frustrate me; you need to commit early to longer-range options like 105 or 83 (both predominantly two lane roads)...

I just drove 105 this past Saturday and I was very surprised how nice it was.  Idyllic and rural and the area around Palmer Lake was really nice.  If it had easier and quicker connections to the Denver metro from Sedalia, I'd take it every time I went south.  83 is also a nice drive, especially for those from the Midwest who like the rolling hills and farmland but also like the mountain views.  I take it probably every other time I come back from the Springs.  (I also live near 225 & Parker, so it's relatively convenient once in the metro area.)

Chris
105 is my go-to route to the Springs from Denver during Friday PM rush hour. I live in northwestern Westminster so it's easy to get there from C-470. It's a beautiful drive. I'll often take it both ways if it's daytime. Though I've been stopped a few times by the double train tracks at Sedalia.
So many miles and so many roads

Bickendan

Quote from: nexus73 on May 10, 2020, 09:37:11 PM
Boring stretch: I-5 from Coburg to Albany.

Dangerous stretch: I-5 from SR 38 to Grants Pass.

Since I rarely am on I-84 in Eastern Oregon, that subject will be left for another Oregonian to post about.

Rick
Between US 730 and Pendleton.

wriddle082

Two sections of I-26 in SC:
* From Laurens/Newberry Co Line all the way to US 76/176 exit in Irmo (east of there it's six lanes).  It's mostly very rough and usually very crowded.  It's about to be widened to six lanes from Little Mountain to Irmo, which will certainly improve things, but the rest really needs repaving.

* From Old Sandy Run Rd to I-95 (west of here it's six lanes).  It's very crowded, especially with trucks and snowbirds.  The entire roadway is eventually going to be six lanes all the way to Summerville (outskirts of Charleston), but I'm not sure if a timeline has been developed yet.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: epzik8 on May 12, 2020, 08:42:17 PM
The Capital Beltway between the Wilson Bridge and the I-95 split.

Also the Capital Beltway for me, but I'm gonna go with the portion between 270 & 95.  Taking those curves on either side of exit 33, with a semi in the lane next to you, is quite the experience :paranoid:

Personally, I don't mind the part overlapped with 95 as much since it has a wider ROW and less curvature.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

milbfan

Virginia:  I-81.  All of it.  Never fails that there's some kind of wreck on it when I'm traveling.  Lots of truck traffic.

sparker

Quote from: Bickendan on May 13, 2020, 03:35:34 AM

Since I rarely am on I-84 in Eastern Oregon, that subject will be left for another Oregonian to post about.

Rick

Clearly not a railfan.  UP's Hinkle Yard is alongside I-84 just east of the I-82 interchange; always a lot of action, since it gets not only standard-issue container and bulk cargo from UP's transcontinental line (splits from the CA-bound lines in Granger, WY) but is the junction point for the northern outflung line via Spokane and Sandpoint, ID that connects with Canadian Pacific alongside US 95's border crossing in northern Idaho, so it gets a shitload of Canadian grain, usually in their bright red tube-shaped hopper cars, to be bulk-loaded for Asia in Portland.  Always something new to see there.  Otherwise, I-84 would be boring, boring, boring in that immediate area (and it isn't even near a Boring Oregon City!!!).:sombrero:

Love2drive

Interstate 40 between Statesville and Hickory.   Needs to be widened to six lanes, the pavement is rough as well. 

Ned Weasel

Quote from: Ketchup99 on May 12, 2020, 10:48:14 PM
Least favorite interstate segment in NY based on worst traffic: I-78. I hate being stuck in traffic. I hate tunnels. And there's something about the Holland Tunnel that every time I find myself in it, I'm in traffic. Bah!
Okay, but as soon as you get out of the tunnel you get to... wait, I'm hearing that it's driving 25mph on 14th Street in Jersey City? Then seconded.

I-78 in Jersey City is as useless of an Interstate designation as I-180 in Wyoming.  The LoMex will never get built, and we're not tearing down a chunk of Jersey City either.  Let it go.

[Fictional Highways]Just end I-78 at I-95 and re-designate the Turnpike Extension as NJ 78 (I don't care whether you sign it or not).[/Fictional Highways]
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

jaehak

Can't believe nobody has mentioned 70 in Missouri. The entirety from Blue Springs to Wentzville is just horrible.

The Westside in CA is pretty awful as well.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: jaehak on May 25, 2020, 12:56:54 PM
Can't believe nobody has mentioned 70 in Missouri. The entirety from Blue Springs to Wentzville is just horrible.

I-35 from the Kansas state line to I-435 is worse, in my opinion.  But Missouri isn't "my" state.

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Super Mateo

For me, it's easily I-294.  There are lots of trucks and they completely ignore the truck lane restrictions, forcing all of the faster cars into the far left lane and causing it to jam up.  It's perpetually under construction and it has that stupid concurrency with I-80 on the south end that exists for no other reason than to collect tolls and bring it back to I-94.

If that is too much of a "traffic" reason, then I'll nominate I-80 in Joliet.  There aren't enough lanes in either direction.  It's got a bridge over the Des Plaines River that can't pass an inspection and could collapse at any time.  It's got a 55 speed limit.  Mile marks 130-137 can be pure pain.  For long distance drivers, going west of there leads to lots of really boring scenery.

zzcarp

Quote from: Super Mateo on May 26, 2020, 12:46:35 PM
For me, it's easily I-294.  There are lots of trucks and they completely ignore the truck lane restrictions, forcing all of the faster cars into the far left lane and causing it to jam up.  It's perpetually under construction and it has that stupid concurrency with I-80 on the south end that exists for no other reason than to collect tolls and bring it back to I-94.

If that is too much of a "traffic" reason, then I'll nominate I-80 in Joliet.  There aren't enough lanes in either direction.  It's got a bridge over the Des Plaines River that can't pass an inspection and could collapse at any time.  It's got a 55 speed limit.  Mile marks 130-137 can be pure pain.  For long distance drivers, going west of there leads to lots of really boring scenery.

I'll agree with I-80 in Illinois for those reasons. Also, the interdiction patrols are a hassle. Heading from Denver to Cleveland for Christmas about 10 years ago, I was stopped for going 72 in a (then) 65 in Minooka (though my cruise control was set at 67 so I question his "radar"). Asked me where I was coming from, going to, and if I had any drugs in the car. Then took my license and insurance card but not my registration. He eventually let me go, and I can't help feeling like he stopped me for driving with Colorado plates.
So many miles and so many roads

doorknob60

Quote from: Bickendan on May 13, 2020, 03:35:34 AM

Rick

You beat me to it, I was going to say the same thing. I find the rest of I-84 in Oregon to range from decent (flat areas around Baker City and La Grande) to amazing (western Gorge, Cabbage Hill). I also really like the Baker City to Ontario stretch, just because of how remote it feels for an interstate (the Weatherby Rest Area is one of my favorites). But that ~45 mile stretch is incredibly boring to me, at least after driving on it a couple dozen times. It's also the only significant part of I-84 in Eastern Oregon where the 70 MPH speed limit feels definitely too low, and I struggle to stay below 80 (where the rest of the highway for the most part I'm comfortable around 75-78). I-82 in Oregon is equally boring but it's so short. And I actually quite like all of I-82 in WA for some reason.

For Idaho, much of I-84 is pretty monotonous and rural, though I don't find it as bad as the Boardman-Pendleton stretch, I-5 between Eugene and Albany (I don't dislike that as much as I used to, now that I rarely have a reason to use it), or I-5 in the Central Valley (CA). The 80 MPH limit helps I suppose. I-86 and I-15 are basically the same. I-90 is not a candidate for this thread. My rural choice would be between Mountain Home and Boise, it's a lot more desolate than the rest of I-84.

But my actual least favorite segment is I-84 through Nampa and to Caldwell. The 4 lanes are totally inadequate, merging room is non-existent, so the area is a constant traffic jam, and accidents seem far more common there than elsewhere, further worsening the traffic (even with the reduced traffic due to the pandemic, which has gotten rid of Boise's traffic jam at I-84/I-184 for the time being). Luckily, they are at this moment expanding it to 6 lanes, with improved interchanges. So when it's done it will probably be off my list, but in the meantime it's even worse with the construction.

ilpt4u

Quote from: zzcarp on May 26, 2020, 12:55:18 PM
...the interdiction patrols are a hassle. Heading from Denver to Cleveland for Christmas about 10 years ago, I was stopped for going 72 in a (then) 65 in Minooka (though my cruise control was set at 67 so I question his "radar"). Asked me where I was coming from, going to, and if I had any drugs in the car. Then took my license and insurance card but not my registration. He eventually let me go, and I can't help feeling like he stopped me for driving with Colorado plates.
Illinois police typically do not ask passenger car operators to provide a copy of the registration when pulled over, because in IL passenger vehicles are not required to carry the registration

Being asked for License and Proof of Insurance is the standard when stopped in IL (not that I've had THAT many tickets...)

paulthemapguy

Quote from: Super Mateo on May 26, 2020, 12:46:35 PM

The pavement everywhere around that bridge is DESTROYED.  I drive across that bridge every day to work so wish me luck
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

pdx-wanderer

Oregon - I-5 from Eugene to Salem; boring scenery, slow speed limit of 65 and really in need of six lanes.

California - I-5 from Wheeler Ridge to Tracy seems obvious so I'll go with I-5 south at the now demolished Burbank Blvd bridge; narrow lanes, zero shoulders, a fairly tight curve (by urban freeway standards) and really bad pavement. Northbound isn't as bad.

SeriesE

Quote from: pdx-wanderer on May 27, 2020, 10:30:01 PM
California - I-5 from Wheeler Ridge to Tracy seems obvious
This segment would actually be great if either the road is widened to 3+ lanes per direction or trucks are banned. :)

sparker

Quote from: SeriesE on May 28, 2020, 01:29:58 AM
This segment would actually be great if either the road is widened to 3+ lanes per direction or trucks are banned. :)

Chances are neither of those will happen in the near term (particularly a truck ban!); what probably will occur are periodic third lanes, likely at the grades near Kettleman Hills (possibly directional upgrade only) and again near the CA 152 junction (which itself could certainly use an upgrade -- at least C/D lanes on both facilities) and possibly north from there to the 5/580 split, now that the route is seeing far-flung Bay commute traffic down to Patterson.  But I wouldn't count on third lanes down in Kern County or through the Coalinga area for quite some time.

SeriesE

Quote from: sparker on May 28, 2020, 01:38:11 AM
Quote from: SeriesE on May 28, 2020, 01:29:58 AM

Chances are neither of those will happen in the near term (particularly a truck ban!); what probably will occur are periodic third lanes, likely at the grades near Kettleman Hills (possibly directional upgrade only) and again near the CA 152 junction (which itself could certainly use an upgrade -- at least C/D lanes on both facilities) and possibly north from there to the 5/580 split, now that the route is seeing far-flung Bay commute traffic down to Patterson.  But I wouldn't count on third lanes down in Kern County or through the Coalinga area for quite some time.
Yeah. One can dream...

The periodic 3 lane concept can actually be easy to implement, if Caltrans don't tear down the temporary lane built in the median for pavement rehabilitation projects. There has been a lot of these projects with such temporary lanes in the middle within the last 10 years, and it should've been used as opportunities to slowly build out the 3rd lane over the entire segment.

Ned Weasel

Presence of trucks on a road isn't a valid reason to claim a road is bad.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: stridentweasel on May 28, 2020, 06:28:19 AM
Why are you the judge for that?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Ned Weasel

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 28, 2020, 10:56:00 AM

Why would anyone think having trucks on the road is a serious complaint?  How do you think any product would get anywhere in the supply chain without trucks and truck drivers to drive them?

Maybe the real problem here is four-wheeler drivers who think they're entitled to go however fast they want to, think the speed limit is a speed minimum, don't know how to give trucks proper space, and don't know how be patient and maintain proper following distance when trucks are passing other trucks.

The bar is much lower for non-CDL drivers, and it sure shows.

sprjus4

Quote from: stridentweasel on May 28, 2020, 11:03:07 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 28, 2020, 10:56:00 AM

Why would anyone think having trucks on the road is a serious complaint?  How do you think any product would get anywhere in the supply chain without trucks and truck drivers to drive them?

Maybe the real problem here is four-wheeler drivers who think they're entitled to go however fast they want to, think the speed limit is a speed minimum, don't know how to give trucks proper space, and don't know how be patient and maintain proper following distance when trucks are passing other trucks.

The bar is much lower for non-CDL drivers, and it sure shows.
When trucks passing trucks drags on for miles as one micropasses like three or four of them at 62 mph in a 70 or 75 mph zone, and a high amount of truck traffic on a particular road results in this frequently, it's worthy to say it's a road is a least favorite due to trucks.

I don't mind a truck passing another truck then getting back over, but then you have some who ride the left lane at 62 or 65 mph for miles on end passing truck after truck slowly. I get the truck is passing, and he's not in the wrong, but it's still frustrating as a driver and one has every right to not like a road due to truck traffic.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.