News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

New York

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 12:34:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

astralentity

I see a lot of construction zones setting up on I-88.  Please for the love of GOD tell me that Region 9 is prepping to fix that stretch between Oneonta and Richmondville.  The worst of all of that stretch is through Worcester and part of Richmondville.

seicer

Hopefully! It's one of the worst stretches of concrete roadway I've driven on - although the first few miles of I-88 by Binghamton was equally as bad until it received some asphalt patches and diamond grinding a year or so ago.

baugh17

Quote from: steviep24 on July 25, 2020, 03:33:19 PM
I haven't seen any of the new plates in the Rochester area thus far so my set could be one of the first ones here.

I've seen several around the Utica area over the past few weeks.  Almost to the point where I'm seeing one or two a day in my travels.

baugh17

Quote from: seicer on July 28, 2020, 07:09:07 PM
Hopefully! It's one of the worst stretches of concrete roadway I've driven on - although the first few miles of I-88 by Binghamton was equally as bad until it received some asphalt patches and diamond grinding a year or so ago.

The section between Sidney and Oneonta was horrible until maybe a few years ago.

cl94

The west end of I-88 is being redone right now. That will hopefully put an end to the misery there.

Re: Oneonta - Cobleskill...yeah. It's among the worst remaining sections of state-maintained road in the state. NY 2 over Petersburg Pass and US 219 near the PA line are contenders, the latter of which is original concrete from when it was dualized. The worst of it is apparently being fixed this year, hopefully they'll get to all of it over the next couple years. Cobleskill east has gotten an overlay over the past few years, which has helped significantly.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

astralentity

Quote from: cl94 on July 29, 2020, 11:29:41 PM
The west end of I-88 is being redone right now. That will hopefully put an end to the misery there.

Re: Oneonta - Cobleskill...yeah. It's among the worst remaining sections of state-maintained road in the state. NY 2 over Petersburg Pass and US 219 near the PA line are contenders, the latter of which is original concrete from when it was dualized. The worst of it is apparently being fixed this year, hopefully they'll get to all of it over the next couple years. Cobleskill east has gotten an overlay over the past few years, which has helped significantly.

Thank the God Most High.  I remember having to be careful on my motorcycle in areas on I-88 because there was a crevasse in between the lanes.

Mr. Matté

Quote from: Michael on July 27, 2020, 04:00:03 PM
On the 15th, I saw my first new NY license plate at Wegmans here in Auburn.  At first, I thought it was an old Liberty plate since it had dark text on a white background and I couldn't see the top or bottom of it.  If I remember right, there was a plate frame that covered the top and bottom.  Once I got a closer look at it, I thought it kind of looked like Texas plates do.

Having seen two New NY Plates (officially designated, but not commonly known as the Gov. Mario M. Cuomo Plates) during my roadgeeking trip through Central Jersey yesterday, I thought from afar they were slightly faded NJ plates.

SignBridge

In my opinion, the new NY plates are more difficult to read than the blue/orange or the previous blue/white plates. Probably the best NY plate was the old liberty plates. They had bigger numerals.

Mccojm

I want to see how the state handles the govt/ agency special plates. Example is I work for DOT, plates say NYS department of transportation on left and then two digit year and 4 digit serial no. Yy-xxxx. Also emergency management have the White with red version of the gold plates.. interesting to see how that translates to the govt issued plates.

Also, wonder if they'll update the regional plates, Long Island never got the update for gold plates. The new plates are starting to pop up everywhere down here on the island and saw a commercial version as well. Definitely looks Better seeing blue "commercial"  stamped on. Ottom opposed to the  yellow "excelsior"  on regular plates. Should have said Empire State. 
My expressed thoughts do not reflect those of NYSDOT, other associated agencies or firms.  Do not take anything I say as official unless it is released by said agencies.

NYSDOT R10 Long Island construction Group since 2013.

astralentity

Quote from: Mccojm on August 10, 2020, 06:48:20 AM
I want to see how the state handles the govt/ agency special plates. Example is I work for DOT, plates say NYS department of transportation on left and then two digit year and 4 digit serial no. Yy-xxxx. Also emergency management have the White with red version of the gold plates.. interesting to see how that translates to the govt issued plates.

Also, wonder if they'll update the regional plates, Long Island never got the update for gold plates. The new plates are starting to pop up everywhere down here on the island and saw a commercial version as well. Definitely looks Better seeing blue "commercial"  stamped on. Ottom opposed to the  yellow "excelsior"  on regular plates. Should have said Empire State.

Or the county name, like several other states.

Mccojm

Quote from: astralentity on August 10, 2020, 08:42:46 AM

Or the county name, like several other states.

Yes, either have county of registration or state nickname. Hell, excelsior would be okay if it was dark blue rather than yellow on white. Glad we don't have a website like some states **florida, ruined their plate with the website added making state name blend in instead of standing out like old plates **
My expressed thoughts do not reflect those of NYSDOT, other associated agencies or firms.  Do not take anything I say as official unless it is released by said agencies.

D-Dey65

Quote from: froggie on July 25, 2020, 11:03:42 PM
Can I be the first to say...."eww"?

I'm pretty sure I was disgusted by the NYSDMV's proposals before they were carried out.

Interstatefan78

Quote from: Mccojm on August 10, 2020, 06:48:20 AM

MTA Buses look like this left side Metropolitan Transit Authority AU XXXX.

D-Dey65

Quote from: Mccojm on July 21, 2020, 06:00:46 PM
Region 10 doesn't sign anything more than 1 mile, if I remember correctly most of our signs are 1/4, 1/2, and 3/4 mile since everything is so close together.
You can say that for Region 11 as well. However, there are segments of the Long Island Expressway where interchanges are spread much further apart between Exits 39 and 40, 68 and 69, and 70 and 71. Occasionally I read about proposals to add new interchanges in between these spaces, and I don't think they should... unless one of those interchanges is the formerly proposed Wantagh Parkway Extension. In that case, I say bring it on.

SignBridge

YES! The Wantagh State Pkwy. extension to the LI Expwy could and should still be built. Most of the state owned vacant right-of-way is still there, undeveloped. It absolutely frosts me that the Inc. Village of Westbury was able to stop it from being built back around 1960. Don't know how it happened. Back in the pre-EIS era the States pretty much ruled with eminent domain, and most projects got done. Don't know how Westbury stopped it.........

D-Dey65

Not only that, there should be northbound exit only ramps to NY 25, and southbound entrance ramps from NY 25.

webny99

For anyone that lives or travels in New York: is the state becoming more strict with speed enforcement?
Recently our VMS's have been saying "SPEED LIMIT STRICTLY ENFORCED", I've seen more police out and about and running radar from new spots, and heard reports of people getting pulled over for high 70's on the Thruway which used to be safe.

So I thought I'd ask if it was just me, or is there something else going on? The state trying to make up for lost revenue elsewhere, maybe.

Mccojm

Quote from: webny99 on August 16, 2020, 10:20:34 PM
For anyone that lives or travels in New York: is the state becoming more strict with speed enforcement?
Recently our VMS's have been saying "SPEED LIMIT STRICTLY ENFORCED", I've seen more police out and about and running radar from new spots, and heard reports of people getting pulled over for high 70's on the Thruway which used to be safe.

So I thought I'd ask if it was just me, or is there something else going on? The state trying to make up for lost revenue elsewhere, maybe.

Haven't noticed anything extra on long island ... just the usual. Wouldn't surprise me if it was to get more revenue though as the state and counties are BROKE

Buffaboy

Quote from: SignBridge on August 09, 2020, 08:11:27 PM
In my opinion, the new NY plates are more difficult to read than the blue/orange or the previous blue/white plates. Probably the best NY plate was the old liberty plates. They had bigger numerals.

The new NY plates are indistinguishable from many other plates. I drove through NM last year and could instantly spot a NY plate with a Bills bumper sticker. Without the golden yellow, it doesn't have much to draw my attention.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

kalvado

Lost revenue is an obvious factor, but those enforcement campaigns happen once every so often. I doubt it would be a permanent thing, police force is only  that big, and crime rates seem to be up. Possibly ticket quotas would go up.

seicer

I think so. I was coming back from Ohio and Pennsylvnia at the height of the first wave of COVID and saw no less than 30 or so police over 100 miles between the Pennsylvania state line and Corning NY. I can't remember if I posted about it on here or not. In some areas, there was a cop for every other median opening.

kalvado

Quote from: seicer on August 17, 2020, 10:41:46 AM
I think so. I was coming back from Ohio and Pennsylvnia at the height of the first wave of COVID and saw no less than 30 or so police over 100 miles between the Pennsylvania state line and Corning NY. I can't remember if I posted about it on here or not. In some areas, there was a cop for every other median opening.
For the first few days after lockdown started and state of emergency was declared, state police seemingly went into the standard procedure for the state of emergency - developed, likely, with 9/11 or major hurricane in mind.
My impression was that every single available cruiser was sitting along Northway at that point.

froggie

It wouldn't surprise me if they're trying to ramp up enforcement.  It's been documented in several states that the drop in traffic due to COVID has greatly increased the rate of excessive speeding.

kalvado

Quote from: froggie on August 17, 2020, 10:52:07 AM
It wouldn't surprise me if they're trying to ramp up enforcement.  It's been documented in several states that the drop in traffic due to COVID has greatly increased the rate of excessive speeding.
I know a guy who enjoyed 90 MPH traffic flow on the Northway (I-87 north of Albany) as police was nowhere to be seen at the peak of NYC spread. Interestingly enough, there seemed to be fewer accidents - which were an almost daily thing on that stretch in better times

vdeane

I believe there was a campaign recently, but yes, it does seem to be up.  Reminds me of the way things were in the aftermath of the Great Recession.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.