News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

CA-58 Hinkley Bypass Project

Started by myosh_tino, September 08, 2014, 03:49:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

myosh_tino

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on October 21, 2016, 10:00:50 AM
Quote from: myosh_tino on October 21, 2016, 04:31:26 AM
Just a quick note.  I'm headed to Las Vegas on Friday (10/21/16) and plan to get some photos of the Hinkley Bypass construction from Hwy 58.  I'm thinking they should be nearing completion of the bypass as it's supposed to open in a couple of months.  I will post the photos here once I get them uploaded to my server.

I'll be looking forward to seeing it....from the perspective of someone else.  I literally went all the way up to Trona-Wildrose Road and CA 190 to get Vegas.  I'll be taking whatever crazed series of mountain highways like CA 18, 138 and CA 2 over Angeles Crest to get back to Bakersfield.  I usually got out of my way just to avoid Kramer Junction...no matter what it takes.  :rolleyes:

The photos I took didn't come out so well.  From what I can tell, the entire bypass is going to be paved in concrete which doesn't really show up well in the photos I took.  I did capture a decent photo of the Lenwood overpass.  None of the ramp at that interchange appeared to be paved.  The travel lanes look like they're paved but the shoulders are still not complete.  I seem to recall reading somewhere that the bypass is supposed to open in November of 2016 but from what I can tell, I don't think they're going to make that deadline.  I'm thinking a mid-2017 opening is more realistic.

BTW, because I made the drive on a Friday (versus Sunday in years past) I can really see a need to get the Kramer Junction Bypass constructed ASAP.  The traffic was a really mess and there were trucks everywhere!
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: myosh_tino on October 22, 2016, 04:14:16 AM
Quote from: myosh_tino on October 21, 2016, 04:31:26 AM
Just a quick note.  I'm headed to Las Vegas on Friday (10/21/16) and plan to get some photos of the Hinkley Bypass construction from Hwy 58.  I'm thinking they should be nearing completion of the bypass as it's supposed to open in a couple of months.  I will post the photos here once I get them uploaded to my server.

I'll be looking forward to seeing it....from the perspective of someone else.  I literally went all the way up to Trona-Wildrose Road and CA 190 to get Vegas.  I'll be taking whatever crazed series of mountain highways like CA 18, 138 and CA 2 over Angeles Crest to get back to Bakersfield.  I usually got out of my way just to avoid Kramer Junction...no matter what it takes.  :rolleyes:

The photos I took didn't come out so well.  From what I can tell, the entire bypass is going to be paved in concrete which doesn't really show up well in the photos I took.  I did capture a decent photo of the Lenwood overpass.  None of the ramp at that interchange appeared to be paved.  The travel lanes look like they're paved but the shoulders are still not complete.  I seem to recall reading somewhere that the bypass is supposed to open in November of 2016 but from what I can tell, I don't think they're going to make that deadline.  I'm thinking a mid-2017 opening is more realistic.

BTW, because I made the drive on a Friday (versus Sunday in years past) I can really see a need to get the Kramer Junction Bypass constructed ASAP.  The traffic was a really mess and there were trucks everywhere!

Even raising the road over the rail tracks or vice versa would help a ton.  That's a pretty wild swing for those truckers which is made only worst eastbound by the sudden railroad track.  Then throw that stop sign and all those truck stops at Kramer Junction and it's a complete disaster almost every working day.  It tends to flow much better heading back westbound despite the Hinkley Bypass not being complete.

pderocco

They've recently opened the Hinkley Rd overpass, and closed the detour via Dixie Rd, so they can fill in the gap in the new roadbed. The Lenwood Rd overpass isn't even paved yet, though, so I doubt it will be open this year.

pderocco

The new freeway is completely open now, except for the Lenwood Road overpass and the ramps connecting it to the westbound freeway. Those look like they're a couple months away.

myosh_tino

I'll be looking forward to seeing it....from the perspective of someone else.

Quote from: nexus73 on October 21, 2016, 12:27:37 PM
I'll be looking forward to those pix Myosh.  Some day we'll have real roads in the High Desert!

Rick

Like I said earlier, the pictures didn't come out so good but I was in Vegas last weekend on a mini-vacation and I had enough foresight to bring a camera that takes HD video so I was able to record my westbound drive on the new bypass.  After doing some editing to add some graphics and commentary, here's the final product.  Be forewarned, the video is rather shaky at times due to the mount I used to hold the camera...

Note: Click the "YouTube" icon to view the video in 1080p or simply CLICK HERE

As noted in the video, the Lenwood Road interchange is not finished yet as are the final connections of the westbound lanes between the existing roadway and the new bypass.
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

nexus73

Since California is Earthquake Country, a little shaking is okay...LOL!  Nice to see another fine piece of roadway in the High Desert.  Thank you for posting up the video Myosh!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

kkt

Thanks for making and posting the video!  Nice road.

myosh_tino

A couple of interesting notes about the bypass...

* While the bypass was supposedly built to "expressway" standards, "END FREEWAY" signs were posted at the west end just before the Wagner Rd intersection.

* Although Caltrans is supposed to be phasing out Botts Dots, the lane lines on the bypass were marked with Botts Dots on top of a 4-inch white stripe on top of an 8-inch black stripe.

* There is no access to the realigned highway from the old road at the west end of the bypass.  Wagner Road, which has an at-grade intersection with CA-58 does connect to the old alignment but Caltrans dead-ends the road less than a mile east of the intersection.

* The speed limit on the bypass is 65 MPH.  This matches the speed limit on the existing 4-lane expressway to the west but traffic mostly flows at 70+.  FWIW, the speed limit on I-15 *through* Barstow is 70 MPH.

Max Rockatansky

Weird to see that section of 58 a full four-lane divided, thanks for the video!

sparker

One down, many more to go.  Slow but steady seems to be the prevailing mode when it comes to CA 58 upgrades.  We'll take what we can get at this point in time.  Nice video, by the way!

Bobby5280

If the Hinkley Bypass is built to expressway standards what has to be improved to bring it up to Interstate standards? The only thing I saw that could be sub-par is the inner left lane shoulders were a bit narrow.

LM117

Quote from: Bobby5280 on May 16, 2017, 10:22:40 PM
If the Hinkley Bypass is built to expressway standards what has to be improved to bring it up to Interstate standards? The only thing I saw that could be sub-par is the inner left lane shoulders were a bit narrow.

I see I'm not the only one still hopeful for an I-40 extension to I-5 in the future. ;-)

Caltrans seems to have taken a page from NCDOT's playbook. NC-147 and NC-540 are part of the Triangle Expressway, yet both of those routes were built to interstate standards. It looks like this is the case with the Hinkley Bypass, where "expressway" is merely just a label as opposed to how it's really built.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Occidental Tourist

I would guess it's called an expressway because there are still local landowners adjacent to the highway who have an ingress easement to the highway.  This would violate California's own guidelines for expressway status, but there's precedent for this with the SR-86S expressway.

sparker

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on May 17, 2017, 09:28:35 AM
I would guess it's called an expressway because there are still local landowners adjacent to the highway who have an ingress easement to the highway.  This would violate California's own guidelines for expressway status, but there's precedent for this with the SR-86S expressway.

From the video, it appears that the only access to the expressway lanes are from the few at-grade crossings that remain -- at least along this section.  Farther west, in Kern County, there are several private access points remaining between the west end of the Boron freeway segment (at California City Blvd.) and the Mojave bypass freeway; partially due to that segment being an added 2 lanes to the original CA 58 alignment.

pderocco

The new bypass is a full freeway, in the sense that access is limited to the two grade-separated interchanges. Hence, the "END FREEWAY" sign just before the Wagner Rd at-grade intersection. In that sense, it's like the older freeway to the east, leading to I-15. No abuttor's right-of-way. But all the adjacent land is easily accessible via the various side roads off the old 58 and Community Blvd.

So will the old road retain the Barstow-Bakersfield Hwy name, but just lose the number, or will they change the name to Old Highway 58, just like the older alignment across the north side of Barstow?

And the other question is: will they ever build a Lenwood Rd bridge over the tracks? The Lenwood Rd overpass is high enough that it could launch such a bridge, but I wonder if there's enough traffic to warrant the expense. They did spend a bunch of money on a bridge over the other set of tracks along National Trails Hwy a couple years ago, and there's very little traffic on that.

sparker

Quote from: pderocco on May 18, 2017, 03:29:51 AM
And the other question is: will they ever build a Lenwood Rd bridge over the tracks? The Lenwood Rd overpass is high enough that it could launch such a bridge, but I wonder if there's enough traffic to warrant the expense. They did spend a bunch of money on a bridge over the other set of tracks along National Trails Hwy a couple years ago, and there's very little traffic on that.

It would likely be the volume of rail traffic as well as road traffic that would warrant construction of an overpass or underpass.  The set of tracks along the National Trails Highway is the joint BNSF/UP main line out of L.A. (and the adjoining ports); this features trains approximately every 15 minutes (I used to live a half-block from these tracks in Hesperia -- for a railfan such as myself, that was one of the saving graces of the high desert!).  This sort of volume often prompts transportation agencies to construct -- or plan to build -- grade separations at most if not all public road crossings if at all possible.  The BNSF line more or less paralleling CA 58 between Barstow and Mojave, while handling quite a bit of traffic, sees a train approximately every 45 minutes to an hour; about 25-30% of the volume going in & out of the L.A. basin.  And while there have been significant highway delays at the points where both CA 58 cross the tracks at grade between Kramer Corners & Boron and the US 395 crossing right at Kramer (both of which have been discussed in other threads), it's likely that the overall volume of rail traffic, mixed with the AADT of Lenwood Road, didn't meet the criteria used to determine whether a road/rail separation is warranted.

myosh_tino

The new bypass is a full freeway, in the sense that access is limited to the two grade-separated interchanges. Hence, the "END FREEWAY" sign just before the Wagner Rd at-grade intersection. In that sense, it's like the older freeway to the east, leading to I-15. No abuttor's right-of-way. But all the adjacent land is easily accessible via the various side roads off the old 58 and Community Blvd.

From what I've been able to gather, the above statement is true.  According to the project plans, a "BEGIN FREEWAY" sign is posted just after the Wagner Rd intersection heading east on 58.  I suspect the reason why the project was advertised as a 4-lane expressway is simply because of the at-grade intersection at Wagner.

And the other question is: will they ever build a Lenwood Rd bridge over the tracks? The Lenwood Rd overpass is high enough that it could launch such a bridge, but I wonder if there's enough traffic to warrant the expense.

Not as part of this project.  According to the plans, Lenwood will cross the railroad at an at-grade crossing.

The left shoulder is 5 feet, the right shoulder is 10 feet.  Both are within Interstate-spec.

sparker

Quote from: myosh_tino on May 18, 2017, 01:10:04 PM

The left shoulder is 5 feet, the right shoulder is 10 feet.  Both are within Interstate-spec.

The 4-lane expressway segments between Hinkley and Kramer are built to the above specification, as is the Mojave bypass segment (completed in 2003).  The freeway segment in the Boron area, dating from the late '70's, does feature substandard inner shoulders (as does much of the freeway alignment between Mojave and where the route touches down in the San Joaquin Valley east of Edison).  It's likely such qualifying specifications are written into most freeway/expressway plans these days -- not only on this corridor but others in the state.

LM117

Given that the Hinkley Bypass recently opened and work on the next section of the Westside Parkway in Bakersfield seems to be underway, I'm suprised that there hasn't been a renewed push by local officials along CA-58 for Caltrans to extend I-40. Given the truck traffic and CA-58's importance in linking the SF bay area with the Southeast while bypassing LA metro, the corridor is practically screaming for an I-40 extension...

sparker

Quote from: LM117 on May 18, 2017, 07:59:50 PM
Given that the Hinkley Bypass recently opened and work on the next section of the Westside Parkway in Bakersfield seems to be underway, I'm suprised that there hasn't been a renewed push by local officials along CA-58 for Caltrans to extend I-40. Given the truck traffic and CA-58's importance in linking the SF bay area with the Southeast while bypassing LA metro, the corridor is practically screaming for an I-40 extension...

Any push for an Interstate designation for CA 58 will likely have to be a two-pronged affair:  local officials and the area's Congressional representatives:  David Valadao, House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, and Paul Cook -- all Republicans (this is the redder section of CA!).  If recent Interstate-designation protocol is any indication, the process would involve (a) designating a new high-priority corridor over CA 58 from I-5 to I-15 (b) attaching "future Interstate" designation to the corridor's legal description, and (c) attaching a numerical designation (obviously "I-40") to (b).  That would likely be done at the time of yearly appropriations (although stand-alone legislation toward such an issue has occurred in the past).  Caltrans will likely not actively pursue this; no more than they've pursued an Interstate designation for CA 99, although (a) and (b) were done for that route back in 2005 -- they have little or no interest in seeing their regional priorities jumbled up by adding an Interstate corridor with a 25-year completion time frame. 

That's just step one -- step two is actually getting some funding directed toward projects along the corridor (both new facilities and upgrades of existing ones).  Unless special priorities would be in the works, the state & local share would remain at 20% -- and that's proved to be a project-killer (or at least putting it into a virtual coma!) in the past.  One of the principal issues regarding largely rural/desert projects such as this is the lack of places from which to derive revenue to offset the local input.  It's a version of the old "lead a horse to water" adage -- parties can designate future Interstates if there's enough will & clout to do so -- but actually putting Caterpillars on the ground is another thing altogether!  Mind you, I'd like to see this corridor become I-40 as much as anyone (just look at my avatar!) -- but it's going to be an uphill slog in any instance.

LM117

Quote from: sparker on May 18, 2017, 08:33:39 PM

Any push for an Interstate designation for CA 58 will likely have to be a two-pronged affair:  local officials and the area's Congressional representatives:  David Valadao, House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy, and Paul Cook -- all Republicans (this is the redder section of CA!).  If recent Interstate-designation protocol is any indication, the process would involve (a) designating a new high-priority corridor over CA 58 from I-5 to I-15 (b) attaching "future Interstate" designation to the corridor's legal description, and (c) attaching a numerical designation (obviously "I-40") to (b).  That would likely be done at the time of yearly appropriations (although stand-alone legislation toward such an issue has occurred in the past).  Caltrans will likely not actively pursue this; no more than they've pursued an Interstate designation for CA 99, although (a) and (b) were done for that route back in 2005 -- they have little or no interest in seeing their regional priorities jumbled up by adding an Interstate corridor with a 25-year completion time frame.

The 25-year time frame only applies to future interstates that were approved through the administrative option of sending applications to AASHTO and FHWA. Future interstates that are designated by Congress are almost always exempt from this rule.

One possibility is for Caltrans to continue upgrading CA-58 piecemeal and once the whole corridor is finished, then they could send applications to AASHTO and FHWA that would have CA-58 become part of I-40 if approved. Seeing as CA-58 is a much more important route than it was when I-40's extension was rejected in the 1960's, and that Bakersfield is larger than it was back then, I don't see why AASHTO or FHWA would deny an I-40 extension this time around.

sparker

Quote from: LM117 on May 18, 2017, 10:53:48 PM

The 25-year time frame only applies to future interstates that were approved through the administrative option of sending applications to AASHTO and FHWA. Future interstates that are designated by Congress are almost always exempt from this rule.

One possibility is for Caltrans to continue upgrading CA-58 piecemeal and once the whole corridor is finished, then they could send applications to AASHTO and FHWA that would have CA-58 become part of I-40 if approved. Seeing as CA-58 is a much more important route than it was when I-40's extension was rejected in the 1960's, and that Bakersfield is larger than it was back then, I don't see why AASHTO or FHWA would deny an I-40 extension this time around.

As I said previously, the trick would be to get Caltrans off their collective asses regarding such an activity.  IMO -- given the agency's disinterest in adding Interstate routes, going the congressional route would likely prove more fruitful -- particularly if local politicians at the state level weigh in on the designation/upgrades as well.  I know some posters disdain political interference in highway planning activities -- but in this instance, it'll probably be necessary to get an I-40 extension off the ground.

Rover_0

Quote from: sparker on May 18, 2017, 11:56:29 PM

As I said previously, the trick would be to get Caltrans off their collective asses regarding such an activity.  IMO -- given the agency's disinterest in adding Interstate routes, going the congressional route would likely prove more fruitful -- particularly if local politicians at the state level weigh in on the designation/upgrades as well.  I know some posters disdain political interference in highway planning activities -- but in this instance, it'll probably be necessary to get an I-40 extension off the ground.

What could work as a stopgap is re-designating CA-58 as CA-40 for the time to provide a buffer for motorists to adjust to and to possibly get the ball rolling and show locals' intentions. Yes, Caltrans still needs to stop snoozing and do something about it, but it's a start.
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

kkt

Quote from: Rover_0 on May 19, 2017, 12:15:25 AM
Quote from: sparker on May 18, 2017, 11:56:29 PM

What could work as a stopgap is re-designating CA-58 as CA-40 for the time to provide a buffer for motorists to adjust to and to possibly get the ball rolling and show locals' intentions. Yes, Caltrans still needs to stop snoozing and do something about it, but it's a start.

Yes, I was about to post that!

There's not really that much left to do.:

Westside Parkway's west end to I-5, parallel to Stockdale Highway, about 5 miles, directional interchange at I-5 and a diamond interchange at Enos Lane (CA 43)
Complete the CA 99 to Westside Parkway segment, already under construction
Left turns at E Bear Mountain Blvd. (CA 223).
Left turns at Bena-Bealville Rd.
Left turns at 55th St.-Hyundai-Kia Blvd.
2-lane section east of Boron
Left turns at 20 Mule Team Rd.
RR crossing east of Boron
Left turns at dirt road unlabeled in Google Maps
Left turns at Helendale Rd.
Left turns in the several miles west of Barstow

Nowhere near all the left turns need freeway access, if there was a frontage road.

myosh_tino

All this talk about a westward extension of I-40... I don't know...

Given Caltrans' recent history about seeking Interstate designations (see routes 15, 210 and 905), I don't think an I-40 designation for CA-58 is in the cards.  Given the remoteness of the Mojave desert does it make sense, financially, to upgrade the two expressway-grade segments (Mojave to Edwards and east of Kramer to Hinkley) to a full freeway?  Here's what needs to be done IMO...

Mojave to Edwards
* Interchange at Hyundai-Kia Blvd plus a frontage road connecting to some sort of power generation plant to the east.

* Interchange at California City Blvd

east of Kramer to Hinkley
* Interchange at Harper Lake Road because it provides access to the Abengoa-Mojave Solar Project site

* Interchange at Wagner Road at the west end of the Hinkley Bypass to provide "desert" access

east of Bakersfield
* Interchange with CA-223

* Grade-separation of the Bena Rd/Bealville Rd intersection with CA-58 either with a full interchange or just an overpass because Bena Rd connects with CA-223.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.