News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Garden State Parkway

Started by Roadrunner75, July 30, 2014, 09:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on January 03, 2017, 07:31:20 AM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 02, 2017, 11:03:45 AM
The design standards for the NJHA probably lagged far behind what was generally accepted for highways throughout the nation.  Remember, it was the early 80's.  What happened then with road engineering, even though it was 3 decades into modern highway building, still was a bit different than what's accepted today.

Since the NJTA took over, nearly everything built on the GSP is up to modern standards.
However, not the GSP South Entrance ramp from Middlesex- Essex Turnpike.  That was built well after the 80's.

The Turnpike & Parkway authorities merged in 2003.

storm2k

The design standards for the NJHA probably lagged far behind what was generally accepted for highways throughout the nation.  Remember, it was the early 80's.  What happened then with road engineering, even though it was 3 decades into modern highway building, still was a bit different than what's accepted today.

Since the NJTA took over, nearly everything built on the GSP is up to modern standards.
However, not the GSP South Entrance ramp from Middlesex- Essex Turnpike.  That was built well after the 80's.

Anyway, they did braid the ramps further south, so they have to be realizing (and now following typical standards) for them to do that.  However, no insult but Jersey drivers are more aggressive as I learned to drive here.  It was fun being that way and some here in FL love to drive that way.  Hey, some people floor it just to go one car length here at the toll booth, with many not being in a hurry either.  Some will floor it into the next spot in the queue and then dig for their money to pay me.

If the whole world was aggressive, of course, spacing ramps apart would not be an issue, but I am sure that some engineers in the NJTA do have the thought cross their minds though that spacing is a waste.  I myself gotten so used to it, I sometimes forget its not the norm too.

The braided ramps at 37-36 are because the NJTA designed that stretch of roadway and they use stricter design standards. The entrance ramp at 131B was done in the early aughts (I want to say it opened in 2003?) and was a NJHA project.

NJRoadfan

Despite being "new", that ramp originally didn't have the full auxiliary lane running from it to Exit 131 (formerly Exit 131A). It was quite obvious when that ramp opened that it was needed.

CrystalWalrein

Quote from: storm2k on January 03, 2017, 12:56:09 PM

Anyway, they did braid the ramps further south, so they have to be realizing (and now following typical standards) for them to do that.  However, no insult but Jersey drivers are more aggressive as I learned to drive here.  It was fun being that way and some here in FL love to drive that way.  Hey, some people floor it just to go one car length here at the toll booth, with many not being in a hurry either.  Some will floor it into the next spot in the queue and then dig for their money to pay me.

If the whole world was aggressive, of course, spacing ramps apart would not be an issue, but I am sure that some engineers in the NJTA do have the thought cross their minds though that spacing is a waste.  I myself gotten so used to it, I sometimes forget its not the norm too.

The braided ramps at 37-36 are because the NJTA designed that stretch of roadway and they use stricter design standards. The entrance ramp at 131B was done in the early aughts (I want to say it opened in 2003?) and was a NJHA project.

But they let the cloverleaf at the Atlantic City Expressway remain, and they're doing nothing with true Parkway's northbound side. There was a proposal in the regional master plan to build a flyover from the Parkway northbound to Expressway northbound, but it seems like that's not been accounted for in current construction. That project, of it does materialise, will be fun to watch.

roadman65

Quote from: storm2k on January 03, 2017, 12:56:09 PM

The always NJTA was pretty good about ramps.  The GSP was not as there were always exits with substandard designs on the NJHA built ramps.  Exit 123 comes to mind as that never had the proper deceleration lane it should have back in the day.  I do not know about now.  Also the NJHA would have shoulderless bridges and of course the shoulderless mainline from 98 to 80, which the NJTA would never allow, but, however, inherited it from the NJHA. 

Then of course some were mentioning the weave issue at the Asbury Park Toll Plaza between the Express EZ Pass lane merging so close to the split of the Express roadway.   I do not know the exact date that was done, as if it was before the NJTA takeover it was the NJHA again, but after the NJTA slipped on that one for sure.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Story on nj.com today about the various projects that will be starting, or continue to take place on the Parkway (and NJ Turnpike).   The list isn't complete, but does come with links for previous stories in reference to the projects.  http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/2017/01/construction_to_look_out_for_in_2017_on_the_parkway_and_turnpike.html#incart_m-rpt-2

akotchi

Quote from: roadman65 on January 03, 2017, 10:09:32 PM
Also the NJHA would have shoulderless bridges and of course the shoulderless mainline from 98 to 80, which the NJTA would never allow, but, however, inherited it from the NJHA. 
(Emphasis mine)  The NJTA did not allow it for long, as they have upgraded this section of the Parkway over the last few years . . .
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

roadman65

Quote from: akotchi on January 04, 2017, 12:46:47 PM
Also the NJHA would have shoulderless bridges and of course the shoulderless mainline from 98 to 80, which the NJTA would never allow, but, however, inherited it from the NJHA. 
(Emphasis mine)  The NJTA did not allow it for long, as they have upgraded this section of the Parkway over the last few years . . .
For how long though?  It was years if I remember. I say it cause it was like that when I left over 26 years ago and this shoulder addition was rather recently.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadrunner75

Quote from: roadman65 on January 04, 2017, 07:10:55 PM
Quote from: akotchi on January 04, 2017, 12:46:47 PM
For how long though?  It was years if I remember. I say it cause it was like that when I left over 26 years ago and this shoulder addition was rather recently.
Yes - the widening from 83 to 100 to add shoulders was recent - 2013/2014.  I drive that stretch every day, and it's night and day compared to how it was before. 

bzakharin

Quote from: bzakharin on December 27, 2016, 10:46:47 AM
It appears the next phase in exit 38 to 36 construction is complete. They are just about ready to shift Southbound traffic onto a new stretch of roadway in that area. The roadway is striped and overhead signs are up. There was a "New Traffic Pattern starting December 24" sign which was replaced with just "New Traffic Pattern", but the shift has not actually happened yet.
GSP South traffic has finally been moved to the newly constructed piece of roadway, a month after it was supposed to, and without any warning about the new traffic pattern. I assume the old roadway will be torn down and rebuilt to provide space for the extra lane on Tilton Road. As it stands, the "Exit Only" signs for Exit 36 are now over the wrong lane. The newly built one has "exit only" covered up, but the one right near the exit, which I believe was always there, is not.

NJRoadfan

There were a few signs heading northbound indicating the pending traffic pattern change two weekends ago. I don't recall seeing any southbound.

roadman65

I would like to really see the Parkway & I-280 get the proper interchange instead of the double  directional like a ticket system, but that would be next to impossible being in a heavily populated area and, of course, the Morristown Line of NJ Transit being right next to the interstate there.

Glad they got the ROW to widen the Parkway under Central Avenue with the fact they have to adjust Oraton Parkway to do it and it least make do with what they have already.

Sheryl Crowe

NJRoadfan

The ramp from local Exit 105 southbound to Wayside Rd. is now open and signed as JCT NJ-18/Tinton Falls. The main ramp to NJ-36 (from the local lanes only) is closed for construction, signs direct traffic to the express lanes at the moment.

The widening work in Atlantic County has changed traffic patterns finally. Traffic has been shifted back to the outside of the roadway,

The northbound Great Egg Harbor Bay Bridge is being torn down to the piers. Looks to be a pretty extensive rehabilitation.

roadman65

Is not the SB span the one to be removed?  Or are they rebuilding the NB span and temporarily shifting traffic onto the old SB span until it gets completed?

Sheryl Crowe

NJRoadfan

All traffic is using the newly built southbound span right now. The new bridge is wide enough for 3 southbound lanes + full width shoulders.

roadman65

So all the traffic is on the new structure, while one of the two other bridges gets reahabilitated which I saw in the project notes, but I thought it was the original SB span while the NB was to be kept as that one was not in bad shape.
When you say ripped down to the piers, I was wondering if you meant as part of demolition or rehab for that structure?

I will look up the project details again, but figure why not have a discussion too at the same time.

Sheryl Crowe

NJRoadfan

The project says the northbound bridge is being rehabbed. I wouldn't be surprised if its like the Edison Bridge rehab, which involved the entire bridge being torn down to the piers, piers repaired, and new deck installed.

CrystalWalrein

It's a full deck replacement with the piers refurbished or replaced where needed. One of the project managers there is a regular at the store where I work, so I get information on the bridge from him. I was also out there today and saw that most of the deck had been dismantled. The piers seem to be in fair condition as well.

NJRoadfan

Do they plan on keeping the old southbound span at all? The northbound bridge on its own lacks shoulders. Was kinda hoping they use the piers from both bridges to create something somewhat modern with shoulders.

jeffandnicole

The old SB span will be entirely demolished.  While I can't find any reference to it, I wonder if the old span had underground issues serious enough that prevented the piers from being used in any way.  The Southbound span was built before the Northbound span, and had some small design differences:  https://goo.gl/maps/ibA2LkrMTqQ2 .  Based on the plans, it appears the Northbound span will continue to be shoulder-less.

Here was the NJ Turnpike Powerpoint presentation from several years ago: http://www.state.nj.us/turnpike/documents/Public-Hearing-Presentation-Great-Egg.pdf  (Based on the timeline given, the project is clearly a bit behind schedule)

roadman65

We should be looking as shoulders as a treat as many crossings lack them.  The NB CBBT in VA, the Goethals and Outerbridge, the Driscoll Bridge Bridge for decades, and many places.  Yes they are helpful and should have them, but we should realize that we as human drivers do take a lot for granted.

Sheryl Crowe

SignBridge

Roadman65, I believe the new Goethals Bridge currently under construction will have full-width shoulders. I think I saw that on the Port Authority's website.

roadman65

I was referring to the current one.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Signage note: this overhead has been replaced recently. No more diagramatic for the lane configration. Now 2 signs. for the Express EZ-Pass, it now calls it toll plaza bypass, I think. I need to go past again to get the exact verbage and a picture. Very different from what we've had in the past.

civilmaher

Quote from: storm2k on March 01, 2017, 12:22:30 PM
Signage note: this overhead has been replaced recently. No more diagramatic for the lane configration. Now 2 signs. for the Express EZ-Pass, it now calls it toll plaza bypass, I think. I need to go past again to get the exact verbage and a picture. Very different from what we've had in the past.

This is due to recent striping changes to prevent toll plaza barrier traffic from crossing over to the Express Lanes. Same has been implemented at the Asbury Park toll plaza in the NB direction.
Opinions represent mine and no other organization that I am associated with.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.