I-71/I-75 Brent Spence Bridge Replacement

Started by The Great Zo, November 28, 2012, 06:07:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveG1988

Honestly the main problem with the bridge is the connections on the Ohio side. If they were given a better layout, the bridge would not have as many problems, i've only really used the lower deck, but having a good portion of it devoted to exit only lanes...wastes a lot of it. I've seen worse bridges not on the chopping block in terms of condition.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: SteveG1988 on July 16, 2015, 08:31:45 AM
Honestly the main problem with the bridge is the connections on the Ohio side. If they were given a better layout, the bridge would not have as many problems, i've only really used the lower deck, but having a good portion of it devoted to exit only lanes...wastes a lot of it. I've seen worse bridges not on the chopping block in terms of condition.

I think part of the problem is that I-75 only has 2 through lanes and I-71 only has that many too. I would love to see I-75 have 4 through lanes and I-71 have 3. With the current configuration it is possible to give I-75 3 through lanes by making of of the through lanes on the I-71 split an option lane. The other exits besides I-71 off I-75 in the interchange could be a C/D lane off I-71 to give access to US 50 and the downtown streets.
Only two things are infinite in this world, stupidity, and I-75 construction

iBallasticwolf2

It appears ODOT is starting to get ROW for the new Brent Spence Bridge, even though actually building it will probably not happen for a long time.  It also seems that tolling the new bridge will not be possible because of the Kentucky General Assembly's decision to not allow tolling of the new bridge, so the only way that funding for the bridge would be possible would be federal funding or imminent danger of collapse on the current bridge.
http://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/05/15/downtown-roads-close-for-building-demolition.html

Also, I am not sure if I just haven't found it before, or it was uploaded recently, but ODOT has the official traffic pattern the new Brent Spence Bridge would use here.
http://www.brentspencebridgecorridor.com/uploads/pdfs/RecommendedAlternativeKentucky.pdf
http://www.brentspencebridgecorridor.com/uploads/pdfs/RecommendedAlternativeOhio.pdf
I find it very interesting how I-75 and I-71 use different carriageways, and I-71's northbound and southbound directions are split between the two bridges.  It is very interesting how there are dedicated carriageways for exiting and entering traffic in Covington and Downtown Cincinnati. 

JMoses24

Well, THIS won't be disastrous to the regular commute around here...said no resident of Cincinnati ever.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2017/06/13/two-months-hell-could-ahead-brent-spence-bridge-commuters/392524001/

On Monday, commuters in Greater Cincinnati will find out what fate awaits them this summer.

Lanes and exits surrounding the Brent Spence Bridge will be periodically shut down this summer, the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet announced Tuesday. There will be a press conference at 11 a.m. on June 19 at Devou Park where KYTC will discuss the closures.

vtk

Isn't the regular commute in Cincinnati pretty much always disastrous anyway?
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

Henry

Quote from: vtk on June 15, 2017, 03:39:23 AM
No more so than in any other large city.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

iBallasticwolf2

Definitely, I-75 gets major congestion even outside of commute hours, and I have seen the northbound approach to the Brent Spence Bridge congested on a Saturday (No wrecks or events).  The Brent Spence Bridge and the I-75 construction causes the major traffic problems in Cincinnati, and closing exits around the Brent Spence is going to make traffic worse.  It's a shame that the Kentucky General Assembly shunned tolls that could have let the new bridge be built at this time instead of waiting for federal funds that may never come, since the Public-Private partnerships Trump wants would guarantee tolling.  Matt Bevin's eastern bypass idea, while it would be helpful for through traffic, would only take off some traffic from the Spence Bridge, and it would cost much more, wheras a connector between I-71 in Walton and I-471 MIGHT help more, but that was rejected all the way back in the 1980s, so that is unlikely.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on May 18, 2017, 06:59:32 PM
Also, I am not sure if I just haven't found it before, or it was uploaded recently, but ODOT has the official traffic pattern the new Brent Spence Bridge would use here.
http://www.brentspencebridgecorridor.com/uploads/pdfs/RecommendedAlternativeKentucky.pdf
http://www.brentspencebridgecorridor.com/uploads/pdfs/RecommendedAlternativeOhio.pdf

Wow, is that one complicated piece of roadway. I've been looking at it for half and hour, and I can't really make heads or tails of it.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on June 15, 2017, 11:19:07 PM
Quote from: iBallasticwolf2 on May 18, 2017, 06:59:32 PM

Wow, is that one complicated piece of roadway. I've been looking at it for half and hour, and I can't really make heads or tails of it.
Honestly its kind of disappointing with all those lanes yet none of them are HOV or express lanes. I could see a set of express lanes that go from downtown Cincinnati to Florence or wherever, but otherwise I'm not sure if its a good traffic design or not.

amroad17

I travel from the Latonia area of Covington to the I-74/North Bend Rd. interchange northwest of Cincinnati five days/week.  The Brent Spence is slow going even at 11:30 AM--traffic usually starts slowing around Kyles Lane (Exit 189) in Ft. Wright.  Part of the slowdown is the Covington cut in the hill from Kyles to 12th St/MLK Jr. Blvd. at the base of the hill, the next slowdown is the merge from Pike St. onto I-71/75 North, the next slowdown is the merge from KY 8 to get on the bridge, and the final slowdown is the bridge itself because there are many commuters wary of traveling on it due to four closely spaced lanes with no breakdown lanes.  The bridge was originally built with three lanes and a shoulder but was restriped for four due to the entrance ramp from KY 8 and an increase of traffic from Northern Kentucky into Cincinnati.

The bridge itself is structurally sound, although I see some concrete coming off the cross-beams in some spots.  It has become functionally obsolete and has been for a long, long time--even before 1994 when I moved from Hampton Roads to Northern Kentucky.  A new bridge is needed.

I may be in the minority here (probably waaaay in the minority), but I believe that for this to happen, I-71/75 should be closed at both approaches (I-71/75 ramps to the bridge in Cincinnati and the 5th St interchange in Covington), tear down the existing bridge, and build a new and better one in its spot with some extra ROW to accomplish this.  Through traffic would have to be diverted to I-275 and I-471 if wanting to go to downtown Cincinnati, and I-275 around the east side of Cincinnati to get back to I-71 and I-75 north of the city.  A motorist still could go west of the city on I-275 if going to Indianapolis or even toward Dayton.  Yes, this would be taxing, however, this new bridge could be built quicker without having to contend with traffic and the old bridge in the way.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

amroad17

Continuing from my above post, I believe the slowdowns would have been lessened if one, or both, of the Covington entrance ramps were never built--especially the one from KY 8 at the bridge, even though this entrance is its own lane.  However, many motorists have to move left over two lanes on the bridge to go on I-75 North.  Much of the slowdown is due to the weaving factor at each entrance ramp as a motorist has to move left one or two lanes over to go on I-75 along with some motorists having to move right one lane over to go on I-71 North.  Fun to deal with every day, huh?

It is too bad I-71/75 wasn't built along the rail line from Ft. Mitchell down the hill through Ludlow, crossing the Ohio River next to (east of) the current railroad bridge, and meeting up with the current I-75 at the curve near Freeman Ave/Ezzard Charles.  I-71 could have split off there following the current I-75 South and having a continuous freeway through to Ft. Washington Way instead of the maze of ramps currently there.

Of course, Covington leaders would have been up in arms because they would have felt that they were bypassed by the Interstate System (need an echo for emphasis).  What should have happened to what is there currently is that a larger bridge should have been built in the first place.  One with four lanes and shoulders.  And it still could be double-decked like it is now.

Oh well, hindsight is 20/20!

iBallasticwolf2

Considering the Covington Mayor has said that he wants a smaller Brent Spence Project, your idea would probably entail what a "smaller" Brent Spence project is.  Also, I have never realized that the KY 8 on-ramp onto the Brent Spence Bridge caused so many problems, I was thinking that only 2 through lanes for I-75 was a bigger problem.

JMoses24

Normally, getting from Florence to downtown takes about 25 minutes in the morning drive time. As mentioned, part of the issue is the northbound entrances from Covington and the resulting weaving to access 75 in Ohio. However, delays usually start well in advance of the bridge -- right around I-275. Of course, if you have a crash at any point in that stretch, all bets are off.

There is a temporary ban on northbound truck traffic on the Ohio side through Fort Washington Way and the Lytle Tunnel on I-71 which has at least temporarily alleviated some of the problems as trucks are rerouted to 275 to 471 to 71. But, that ban only runs through August.

seicer

hbelkins

Quote from: seicer on June 19, 2017, 10:19:41 AM
What work will be performed?

I think that will be unveiled/discussed at a press conference tomorrow. But what I don't understand is why the exit to KY 236 at Erlanger will be closed in conjunction with this project.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

JMoses24

Quote from: hbelkins on June 19, 2017, 12:49:49 PM

I think that will be unveiled/discussed at a press conference tomorrow. But what I don't understand is why the exit to KY 236 at Erlanger will be closed in conjunction with this project.

I asked your D6 colleague about that. The response was that it will allow for free flow of traffic on I-275 entering southbound I-75/71.

The press conference was today. The work to be done is routine maintenance to include replacement of joints and the driving surfaces, replacement of lighting (especially on the bottom deck which, IMO, badly needs it), and repair of other concrete and steel.

Work begins Friday night at 9pm with the bridge being down to 1 lane for a period of time to place barrier walls. The traffic pattern by Monday morning will consist of all traffic using the two westernmost lanes, with access to the bridge from 3rd Street and westbound Fort Washington Way (aka I-71 south/US 50 west) in Cincy and from 4th Street in Covington being shut down along with the aforementioned closure of the exit to KY 236. The project is being done in 3 phases, two lanes at a time, and the ramp closures will be in effect for all three.

GCrites

Ahaha, people from Columbus think every other city's traffic is terrible.

hbelkins

Quote from: JMoses24 on June 19, 2017, 02:51:02 PM

I asked your D6 colleague about that. The response was that it will allow for free flow of traffic on I-275 entering southbound I-75/71.

I asked her myself, then saw that you'd asked on the D6 page. The public response was more polite than the response she gave me. I'd forgotten about the weave between 275 traffic merging on to 71/75, and 71/75 traffic moving to the right to exit on 236. She called it a cluster#%&@ during normal conditions in her message to me. (For some reason, I thought it was the northbound exit that was closing, not the southbound one).

If I was coming south on 71 and wanted to access 75, I'd use the Norwood Lateral instead of 471 and 275.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

JMoses24

Quote from: hbelkins on June 19, 2017, 10:28:12 PM
Quote from: JMoses24 on June 19, 2017, 02:51:02 PM

I asked her myself, then saw that you'd asked on the D6 page. The public response was more polite than the response she gave me. I'd forgotten about the weave between 275 traffic merging on to 71/75, and 71/75 traffic moving to the right to exit on 236. She called it a cluster#%&@ during normal conditions in her message to me. (For some reason, I thought it was the northbound exit that was closing, not the southbound one).

If I was coming south on 71 and wanted to access 75, I'd use the Norwood Lateral instead of 471 and 275.

Problem with the Norwood Lateral idea is that 71 is a cluster#%&@ due to both the ongoing MLK interchange project AND repaving and bridge work pretty much from the Lateral into the Lytle Tunnel. Now you add this project to the mix...pretty obvious why they aren't recommending the Lateral. Not to mention, 562 isn't exactly 2017 Interstate-standard.

And yes, the Donaldson collector southbound is, indeed, a similar cluster#%&@ under the normal conditions.

JMoses24

Quote from: GCrites80s on June 19, 2017, 09:10:21 PM

Ahaha, people from Columbus think every other city's traffic is terrible.

Yours isn't exactly a cakewalk. One phrase: 71/70 East Split.

bandit957

The replacement might have been finished by now if it wasn't for all the babyishness.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

iBallasticwolf2

Yesterday I got a chance to go across the Brent Spence bridge while it wasn't massively congested.  Construction workers were in the work zone even on the 4th of July, so the contractor sure is working overtime to get this project done by August.

Going northbound on the bridge, the crappy signage is blocked out.

Going southbound on the bridge, this shot makes the bridge look weirdly like the old Goethals bridge, where there are 2 thin lanes going each way (in this case, only southbound), and there is a solid white line between the lanes.
But basically, the traffic on the approaches to the bridge is hell during most of the daytime.

amroad17

I have not gone north on the bridge since the work started--I have taken I-275 East to I-471 North to I-71/US 50 West to get to I-75 North from Northern Kentucky, as the time I travel this is between 11:30 AM-12 noon.  Coming back home at night going south on the bridge has been no problem after 10 PM.

It was pretty much hell on Independence Day as included in the backup was a traffic collision at Kyles Lane (Exit 189), which shut down the two right northbound lanes and had traffic backed up to the KY 18 interchange (Exit 181).  I'll bet I-275 East was fairly crowded also.  Fortunately, I was at home, off work, and did not have to deal with this.

vtk

I occasionally go to Cincinnati for work, typically taking either 71 or 75 almost all the way to the Brent Spence. Are there good alternate routes I should consider?  My destination is the railroad yard accessed from Gest St, and I could be going there anytime between 5pm and 5am.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

iBallasticwolf2

Quote from: vtk on July 13, 2017, 08:11:45 AM
I occasionally go to Cincinnati for work, typically taking either 71 or 75 almost all the way to the Brent Spence. Are there good alternate routes I should consider?  My destination is the railroad yard accessed from Gest St, and I could be going there anytime between 5pm and 5am.
I would recommend getting off 75 at Kyles Lane/KY 1072, because that's where the backup usually starts, but sometimes it starts earlier.  Follow US 25 into Covington and then use the Clay Wade Bailey Bridge, then take 3rd street to Gest Street.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.