News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-71/I-75 Brent Spence Bridge Replacement

Started by The Great Zo, November 28, 2012, 06:07:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry

So the state can't even claim the namesake river as its own? That's strange!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

GreenLanternCorps

Quote from: Henry on January 08, 2020, 12:34:10 PM

Kentucky inherited Virginia's Ohio River border when the Commonweath was made a state.

The Northwest Ordinance confirmed that Virginia and then Kentucky go the river inside their border.

GCrites

Quote from: bandit957 on January 07, 2020, 11:44:23 AM
At least tolls would work out better than a sales tax increase, especially since it was only the "anti-tax" crowd that supported the tax increase.

The "anti-tax" crowd seldom argues against sales taxes since sales taxes are regressive.

JMoses24

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on January 08, 2020, 12:50:48 PM
Quote from: Henry on January 08, 2020, 12:34:10 PM

Kentucky inherited Virginia's Ohio River border when the Commonweath was made a state.

The Northwest Ordinance confirmed that Virginia and then Kentucky go the river inside their border.

In 1980, the Supreme Court determined that the border should be the low water mark of the river as it had been in 1792 (when Kentucky became a state). It took until 1982 to determine just where that was. In the area of Cincinnati, the border is closer to the northern shoreline, which means Kentucky owns most of the river, but in other parts, the state line is as much as 500 feet off the north shoreline.

https://www.rcnky.com/articles/2017/11/17/marker-celebrates-ohio-kentucky-border-issue-decided-us-supreme-court

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Some pretend news on Brent Spence from Cincy:
https://www.wcpo.com/news/transportation-development/move-up-cincinnati/talks-about-brent-spence-bridge-replacement-temporarily-on-hold-while-states-handle-covid-19

(Pretend as in the article states nothing is going on and nothing has been decided. Just add COVID-19 to make news)

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

GCrites

Fiery semi-truck crash yesterday could close Brent Spence Bridge for up to 90 days (according to a radio address by Gov. DeWine):

https://www.wlwt.com/article/brent-spence-bridge-could-be-closed-for-more-than-a-month-following-fiery-crash/34660147

Buck87

Will certainly be interesting to see what the status of the bridge is for future long term use, since it is still slated to continue carrying a significant portion of the traffic after the proposed new bridge is built directly next to it.

If the current span has to be scrapped, then the plans for the whole project would have to be changed significantly and would become even more expensive.

JMoses24

Quote from: Buck87 on November 13, 2020, 08:33:50 PM
Will certainly be interesting to see what the status of the bridge is for future long term use, since it is still slated to continue carrying a significant portion of the traffic after the proposed new bridge is built directly next to it.

If the current span has to be scrapped, then the plans for the whole project would have to be changed significantly and would become even more expensive.

We'll find out soon enough. Apparently they saw something they didn't like – enough to close the river to all marine traffic.

abqtraveler

Quote from: JMoses24 on November 13, 2020, 11:20:39 PM
Quote from: Buck87 on November 13, 2020, 08:33:50 PM

We'll find out soon enough. Apparently they saw something they didn't like – enough to close the river to all marine traffic.

They did say that in addition to the bridge decks on both levels, a few steel members would have to be replaced as well, but the main structural elements were largely undamaged by the fire.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

seicer

Revive 755

^ Pity the bridge can't be repainted while closed.

edwaleni

wriddle082

During the Ohio River Bridges Project in Louisville, the JFK Bridge received a paint job and completely new deck shortly after the Abraham Lincoln Bridge opened up.  I'm guessing that if they ever build a new bridge, they'll find a way to shift all traffic to it long enough for a similar full rehab to the Brent Spence Bridge.

Also, I wonder if anyone knows who would be the most likely candidate to have the new bridge named for?

seicer

CtrlAltDel

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

hbelkins

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on December 08, 2020, 06:32:52 PM
Quote from: seicer on December 08, 2020, 01:57:18 PM
Pete Rose ;)

So, that's what we're gonna do today? We're gonna fight?  :-D

No argument from me on naming it for Charlie Hustle. Or perhaps name it the Rose-Larkin bridge after a couple of home-grown Reds players.

Quote from: edwaleni on December 08, 2020, 12:01:16 PM
Man that bridge needs a paint job!

I think I read that painting is scheduled for next year or the year after.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

edwaleni

Paint the bridge red and simply call it "The Big Red machine"

seicer

Scheduled for painting and other unspecified repairs in 2021-22 at the cost of $30 million.

Big John

Hot Rod Hootenanny

hbelkins

Quote from: Big John on December 10, 2020, 01:39:39 PM
Johnny Bench?

He was from Oklahoma. Rose (and Larkin) are Cincinnati natives.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Buck87

edwaleni

Since Kentucky is the lead agency for the bridge, they will paint it UK blue and name it after Adolph Rupp.

Or they could name it after the most famous QB to ever play UK football.  George Blanda.

seicer

2021-22 for painting and repairs at the cost of $30 million.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.