News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

TX: 1952 Map shows that SH 121 ended at FM 720 in McKinney

Started by Brian556, January 17, 2015, 01:19:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian556

Found this map on the Portal To Texas History. Found something on it that I did not know and would have never suspected.
It shows that SH 121 ended at FM 720 instead of US 75 (now SH 5).
SH 121 would have just been completed from Lewisville to McKinney when this map was made.

NE2

Probably just a temporary endpoint. It was always complete through McKinney in the official designation.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

austrini

We have a lot of old maps at work (county GIS) and they variously show it ending at Frisco Rd (FM 720) or US 75. The abstract maps, locally made, all showed it ending at FM 720 until the contract was let for the US75/SH121/Spur 399 interchange when it was built through to SH 5. All the ROW maps we have show the FM 720 to SH 5 part is all one piece. If that helps.
AICP (2012), GISP (2020) | Formerly TX, now UK

Brian556

quote from austrini:
QuoteWe have a lot of old maps at work (county GIS) and they variously show it ending at Frisco Rd (FM 720) or US 75. The abstract maps, locally made, all showed it ending at FM 720 until the contract was let for the US75/SH121/Spur 399 interchange when it was built through to SH 5. All the ROW maps we have show the FM 720 to SH 5 part is all one piece. If that helps.

Thanks, austrini. Good to hear from you again.

Did these maps happen to tell you whether SH 121 was multiplexed with FM 720 over to US 75?

On a related note, through my research, I have found that Spur 399 was originally on what is now the section of SH 121 from US 75 to SH 5 on the NORTH side of McKinney.

When they moved SH 121 to US 75, they moved to SPUR 399 designation to where it is today.

austrini

I am not sure, it will require some digging. We don't have information on "Designations" but we do have info on when the ROW was purchased, when roads opened, that sort of thing. There is a big stack of Texas Highway Department files that I'm scanning, so I will look. US 75 was originally on Kentucky as the Exall Highway and then moved to Tennessee and then McDonald.
AICP (2012), GISP (2020) | Formerly TX, now UK

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.