News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

TX 130 to become Interstate 35E?

Started by wxfree, March 12, 2013, 02:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

J N Winkler

Something to keep in mind--the facts on the ground are changing, regardless of what happens to this bill.  TxDOT advertised a maintenance contract for the December letting (CCSJ Bexar 6240-33-001; N.B. link will expire within a month!) which essentially co-signs SH 130 along portions of IH 410 and IH 10 in the vicinity of San Antonio in order to make it easier for drivers to use it as an IH 35 bypass.  Some, but by no means all, of the signs shown could later be amended to change SH 130 and SH 130T shields to three-digit Interstate shields bearing either an appropriate IH 35 loop or letter-suffix designation.  This change would be even easier to make (and involve less complexity in design of overlays) if facility buyback and toll abolition were removed from the bill, thus leaving TxDOT free to use its hideous new "Interstate toll" shields.  On the other hand, to accommodate additional green-background legend ("ALT," say, if SH 130 becomes IH 35 Alternate) would entail bottom-up redesign for many panels.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

codyg1985

^ At least now they are signing SH 130 control cities as Houston and San Antonio going southbound on IH 35 instead of Austin, which didn't make much sense to me.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

kkt

Quote from: NE2 on March 21, 2013, 10:21:06 AM
Treat it like Amtrak.

This one proposal would be about 2-3 years of the subsidy to Amtrak's entire system.

InterstateNG

I demand an apology.

leroys73

The naming it an interstate may bring more users in addition to other $.  Just a thought.
'73 Vette, '72 Monte Carlo, ;11 Green with Envy Challenger R/T,Ram, RoyalStarVenture S,USA Honda VTX1300R ridden 49states &11provinces,Driven cars in50 states+DC&21countries,OverseasBrats;IronButt:MileEatersilver,SS1000Gold,SS3000,3xSS2000,18xSS1000, 3TX1000,6BB1500,NPT,LakeSuperiorCircleTour

wxfree

Quote from: InterstateNG on March 27, 2013, 08:57:28 AM
Moody's looking at downgrading the debt for the Cintra-owned portion of SH 130:

http://www.statesman.com/news/news/local/light-130-traffic-prompts-credit-review-of-toll-de/nW5B4/

I suspected they were in trouble.  I'm not surprised TxDOT's the first to want to give them a bailout.  Using concession payment money to subsidize truck tolls is an interesting way to do that.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

lordsutch

Quote from: kkt on March 21, 2013, 09:54:57 AM
Do I have this right?  Texas allowed a private contractor to build a tollway with a dubious business case.  It's now open and not taking in enough money to pay for its bonds and maintenance.  Instead of this being the contractor's problem, or Texas' problem, the Texas congressional delegation thinks Uncle Sugar should give them additional transportation money to pay for it, even as maintenance on interstates we already have go unfunded?

It worked for Kentucky for many of the less-traveled parkways (except there the state issued the bonds and built the roads, and probably would have paid off the bonds eventually; I don't think there was any immediate insolvency risk).

Frankly rather than bailing out the toll road they should buy it at auction on the Travis County Courthouse steps, just like TxDOT did with the Camino Colombia when they went bankrupt (and, unlike with that road, without the bond debt, TxDOT could drastically lower the tolls and still be ahead on maintenance and operations).

wxfree

Quote from: lordsutch on March 27, 2013, 09:54:46 PM
Quote from: kkt on March 21, 2013, 09:54:57 AM
Do I have this right?  Texas allowed a private contractor to build a tollway with a dubious business case.  It's now open and not taking in enough money to pay for its bonds and maintenance.  Instead of this being the contractor's problem, or Texas' problem, the Texas congressional delegation thinks Uncle Sugar should give them additional transportation money to pay for it, even as maintenance on interstates we already have go unfunded?

It worked for Kentucky for many of the less-traveled parkways (except there the state issued the bonds and built the roads, and probably would have paid off the bonds eventually; I don't think there was any immediate insolvency risk).

Frankly rather than bailing out the toll road they should buy it at auction on the Travis County Courthouse steps, just like TxDOT did with the Camino Colombia when they went bankrupt (and, unlike with that road, without the bond debt, TxDOT could drastically lower the tolls and still be ahead on maintenance and operations).

The Camino Colombia toll road was privately owned.  TxDOT bought it.  SH 130 is already owned by TxDOT, and leased to the private company.  I don't know what the agreement specifies will happen in the case of default or other severe problems, but TxDOT can't buy the road since they already own it.

Revive 755

Quote from: J N Winkler on March 21, 2013, 11:25:31 AM
thus leaving TxDOT free to use its hideous new "Interstate toll" shields.

New interstate shields?  Can I have a link please? Nevermind, found it on Page 8/26 in Chapter 2F of the TX MUTCD:
http://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/trf/tmutcd/2011_rev1/2f.pdf

wxfree

Quote from: Revive 755 on March 27, 2013, 10:18:40 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on March 21, 2013, 11:25:31 AM
thus leaving TxDOT free to use its hideous new "Interstate toll" shields.

New interstate shields?  Can I have a link please?

I don't know where it's shown by itself, but if you download the Texas Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, or the relevant chapter (2F), you can see it there.

http://www.txdot.gov/government/enforcement/safety/tmutcd.html

If you download Chapter 2F, it's on page 256 (page 8 of 26 in the PDF).  It's M90-3T.  It's an Interstate shield on a square with the TOLL banner under it.

UptownRoadGeek

Quote from: wxfree on March 27, 2013, 10:27:56 PM
I don't know where it's shown by itself, but if you download the Texas Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, or tt's an Interstate shield on a square with the TOLL banner under it.

Similar to those used on the Katy Tollway?

wxfree

Quote from: UptownRoadGeek on April 04, 2013, 03:01:59 PM
Quote from: wxfree on March 27, 2013, 10:27:56 PM
I don't know where it's shown by itself, but if you download the Texas Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices, or tt's an Interstate shield on a square with the TOLL banner under it.

Similar to those used on the Katy Tollway?

Good example.  I should have thought of it.  There's a bit of blur, but it can be seen here http://goo.gl/maps/6OSut

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

lordsutch

Quote from: NE2 on April 04, 2013, 03:37:57 PM

I complained about these hideous monstrosities in the last MUTCD round, obviously to no avail.

wxfree

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.