News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Ontario's Highways

Started by un1, January 19, 2009, 03:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zzcarp

Quote from: Daniel Fiddler on December 03, 2023, 07:22:55 AM
Quote from: dmuzika on December 03, 2023, 01:19:18 AM
Quote from: Daniel Fiddler on November 30, 2023, 11:27:26 PM
Now if only Ontario would get its act together and increase the speed limit to 120 or 130 km / h.

100 km / h is too slow.  Even 110 km / h on the few roads its on is.

Does the traffic flow generally follow the speed limit, or does it run higher during optimal conditions?

It's been 23 years since I have been to Canada, although I would imagine they drive around 75 - 85 mph like we do.

I doubt if our speed limits were set much higher speeds would change much, same for Canada.  Drivers drive what they are comfortable at.  They just want to drive what is safe and comfortable to them more legally.

I've driven the stretch of Highway 17 from Sault Ste Marie to Sudbury at least yearly since the 90s. I'd say speeds averaged 65 mph (115kph) on the rural sections (posted 90) except for holiday weekends when there is a large OPP presence. The short 100 kph section by Sudbury tends to go 72 mph or so by my estimation.
So many miles and so many roads

AsphaltPlanet

Highway speeds in Ontario are pretty similar to those in the surrounding jurisdictions in my opinion.

I think on average, drivers in Michigan drive slightly faster than those in Ontario.  (Michigan is in my opinion, the fastest state in the Great Lakes Region).  Drivers in Ontario are in general faster than those in New York State in my opinion.  New York has slow drivers.  At least in western New York.  I'm always surprised at how slowly people drive on the freeways in and around Buffalo.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

vdeane

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on December 03, 2023, 11:50:15 AM
Highway speeds in Ontario are pretty similar to those in the surrounding jurisdictions in my opinion.

I think on average, drivers in Michigan drive slightly faster than those in Ontario.  (Michigan is in my opinion, the fastest state in the Great Lakes Region).  Drivers in Ontario are in general faster than those in New York State in my opinion.  New York has slow drivers.  At least in western New York.  I'm always surprised at how slowly people drive on the freeways in and around Buffalo.
I imagine the slower speed of traffic around Buffalo is due to traffic levels.  I-90, I-190, and I-290 are all quite busy relative to the number of lanes they have (especially I-90).  I've found speeds around the rest of upstate tend to be higher.

EDIT: Also worth noting that the speed limit is only 55 in the urban/suburban parts of Buffalo, so driving faster than 65 risks a ticket.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

andrepoiy

I would say that on the suburban sections of MTO freeways, people tend to drive 120 km/h in good traffic conditions. On Toronto freeways (DVP, Gardiner), they drive 100-110 km/h.

On rural sections that have high volumes (such as between London ON to Toronto, or Toronto to Kingston), lots of car platoons will cruise at 130 km/h.

On rural sections that have lower volumes (like Highway 402, Highway 401 from Windsor to London), cars typically travel slower at 110-120 km/h, probably because if they do encounter a cop, they aren't in a platoon and therefore will get singled out and pulled over.

As for neighbouring jurisdictions, Quebec and NYS are the only two that I've spent a significant time in.
Quebec drivers are notorious for following the speed limit in rural areas, with many people sticking to 100-105 km/h. However, in Montreal where the urban freeways are signed for 70 km/h, most drivers ignore that and drive up to 90-100 km/h when there's no traffic.
I would agree with the sentiment that WNY drivers in the Buffalo area do drive slower.

Molandfreak

Quote from: JREwing78 on December 01, 2023, 07:00:09 PM
Even worse, the 4-lane divided sections of Hwy 17 are posted for 90 km/h! That's absurdly slow, particularly when Michigan is posting many 2-lane highways for 65mph (105 km/h).
And all of the two-lane roadways were posted at 60 mph before the oil crisis. It's not like the rural areas of northern Ontario are growing much, so if 60 was good enough then, 100 km/h should be good enough today.

Even the twinned section of 11/17 east of Thunder Bay is still 90, which is especially ridiculous.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

AsphaltPlanet

Southerly view over the 404 from the Elgin Mills Road overpass in Richmond Hill.  This is from October, right after the lifted the temporary concrete median barriers and started painting the lane markings for the new HOV lanes.

The skyline has really grown:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_404-406_images/404_cl_33_south_SB_Oct22_42x28.jpg
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

AsphaltPlanet

Signage on Highway 417 for the ramp to Ottawa Road 174 East:

http://www.asphaltplanet.ca/ON/hwy_410-427_images/417_dv_113_west_Jan24_42x28.jpg

AsphaltPlanet

doglover44

Is there a good site that has Ontario maps ?

AsphaltPlanet

doglover44

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.