News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

New Jersey

Started by Alps, September 17, 2013, 07:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: Crown Victoria on August 29, 2020, 05:01:30 AM
Quote from: Alps on August 28, 2020, 10:01:18 PM
Quote from: Crown Victoria on August 28, 2020, 07:25:37 PM
New Jersey's gas tax is getting even closer to PA's...moving up to 4th highest!

https://www.nj.com/politics/2020/08/nj-gas-tax-to-rise-93-cents-a-gallon-on-oct-1.html
Right now, our prices are midpack (they used to be on the low end). Now they'll be getting up there... still cheaper than PA and downstate NY though.

If I understand NJ's law regarding gas taxes correctly, since it has a target for total revenue generated, there's the possibility that next year, after the pandemic is over and the economy recovers, the gas tax could decrease. I could be wrong on that though...
No down, only up

Crown Victoria

Last year's gas tax announcement clearly states that NJ's gas tax will be raised OR lowered to meet the target revenue:

https://www.nj.gov/governor/news/news/562019/20190828b.shtml

Also, jeffandnicole is correct in stating that NJ did indeed LOWER sales taxes as part of the gas tax increase.

I am of course aware of reality regarding taxation in New Jersey and will remain surprised if gas taxes actually do decrease next year, or ever.

jeffandnicole

"Cape freeholders approve plan to spend millions to rebuild bridges"

"Last week, with little fanfare, the Cape May County Board of Freeholders approved a plan to address the county's bridges, outlining hundreds of millions of dollars in spending over the next 15 years.

The state of the county's bridges has long been a concern, with some designated as being in poor condition and functionally obsolete. A few date from the 1930s.

The plan, approved Tuesday, outlines massive spending, with the local cost estimated between $603 million and $890 million. Even with that, the plan assumes as much or more money coming from state and federal sources, putting the total cost of implementing the plan at over $1 billion."

https://pressofatlanticcity.com/news/local/cape-freeholders-approve-plan-to-spend-millions-to-rebuild-bridges/article_50d0a879-fe96-507f-80f0-1ca71547c82a.html

storm2k

The state has begun reconstruction of the Milltown Road overpass on Rt 1 in North Brunswick. Standard stuff, but the press release notes that they will be erecting new overhead sign structures. I'm guessing that the only one they really need to do is this sign that's still attached to the overpass itself. The sign on there was replaced in the mid aughts when they built the 1 to 130 flyover, but the supports are from the late 70s/early 80s (used to be a non-reflective button copy sign consistent with that era). There isn't a Milltown Rd exit from 1 northbound anymore, Milltown Rd itself has never had overhead structures (unless they're adding them but that seems unlikely), and the rest of the structures are less than 20 years old and should be in fine condition, so I don't see what other ones they'd be replacing.

Alps

Quote from: storm2k on September 02, 2020, 08:00:40 AM
The state has begun reconstruction of the Milltown Road overpass on Rt 1 in North Brunswick. Standard stuff, but the press release notes that they will be erecting new overhead sign structures. I'm guessing that the only one they really need to do is this sign that's still attached to the overpass itself. The sign on there was replaced in the mid aughts when they built the 1 to 130 flyover, but the supports are from the late 70s/early 80s (used to be a non-reflective button copy sign consistent with that era). There isn't a Milltown Rd exit from 1 northbound anymore, Milltown Rd itself has never had overhead structures (unless they're adding them but that seems unlikely), and the rest of the structures are less than 20 years old and should be in fine condition, so I don't see what other ones they'd be replacing.
I think it's likely they would add overhead signs - all the exits below South Brunswick have them.

jeffandnicole

Page 36 of the bid tallies https://www.state.nj.us/transportation/contribute/business/procurement/ConstrServ/documents/BidTabsDP20120.pdf reveals there's only one overhead sign structure that will be built here.

J Route Z

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 02, 2020, 03:54:01 PM

Page 36 of the bid tallies https://www.state.nj.us/transportation/contribute/business/procurement/ConstrServ/documents/BidTabsDP20120.pdf reveals there's only one overhead sign structure that will be built here.
Before you posted this I was thinking it would be a possibility they might implement overhead structures along Milltown Road at the US 1 ramps, just like they have ones further south in the Princeton area: specifically at Quakerbridge Road, Alexander Road, Meadow Road, etc.

storm2k

Quote from: Alps on September 02, 2020, 02:57:24 PM
I think it's likely they would add overhead signs - all the exits below South Brunswick have them.

If that was going to happen, I would have thought they would have added them when they did the 1-130 flyover, since a part of that project was to tie in Carolier Lane to Milltown and reconstruct various ramps to and from 1. I don't see a real need for overhead structures on Milltown Road here.

Alps

Quote from: storm2k on September 08, 2020, 07:58:05 AM
Quote from: Alps on September 02, 2020, 02:57:24 PM

If that was going to happen, I would have thought they would have added them when they did the 1-130 flyover, since a part of that project was to tie in Carolier Lane to Milltown and reconstruct various ramps to and from 1. I don't see a real need for overhead structures on Milltown Road here.
I mean... there is at least one SB overhead for Milltown Rd. I will admit that I'm not going through the rigmarole of viewing the plans to see where they are proposing one.

famartin

Found a gantry which more or less nails down to within a month when NJDOT switched from back plates to no back plates...
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/32/2020-09-07_11_33_52_will_rename_and_categorize_soon_31.jpg
Zooming in, the right gantry, with a back plate on the Route 38 shield, is dated 1/2016. The left gantry, without back plates, is dated 3/2016.

NJRoadfan

QA was a bit lacking when they made the left sign...I mean they really could have tried centered that shield.

famartin

Is the Cumberland County section of 347 now NJDOT? SLD lists it being County, but all signage looks like NJDOT including the new series of mileposts, which NJDOT seems to only install on roads they maintain (vs, for example, 56 in Vineland or 206 in Trenton, which among other roads were skipped).

jeffandnicole

Quote from: famartin on September 12, 2020, 09:06:27 AM
Is the Cumberland County section of 347 now NJDOT? SLD lists it being County, but all signage looks like NJDOT including the new series of mileposts, which NJDOT seems to only install on roads they maintain (vs, for example, 56 in Vineland or 206 in Trenton, which among other roads were skipped).

I think there's some sort of mutual jurisdiction on 347. I think (could be wrong) the counties repaved their sections of 347 a number of years back, but NJDOT has a lot to do with other improvements (including signage).

famartin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 12, 2020, 09:24:11 AM
Quote from: famartin on September 12, 2020, 09:06:27 AM

I think there's some sort of mutual jurisdiction on 347. I think (could be wrong) the counties repaved their sections of 347 a number of years back, but NJDOT has a lot to do with other improvements (including signage).
Interesting. Reason I mention Cumberland specifically here is because the Cape May section didn't get the new mileposts. Maybe a different agreement with each county?

famartin

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on July 29, 2020, 08:17:47 PM
Quote from: NJRoadfan on July 29, 2020, 07:16:06 PM
I kinda wish there was a camera pointed at the circle on NJ-34 right now. The "old" rules had folks in the circle yielding to mainline traffic on NJ-34 (a 55MPH divided highway). It might get a bit ugly out there.
Yes it will.  I work not far from there and go through that circle all the time.  One of my coworkers almost got taken out by northbound 34 traffic running the new yield.  That circle has always been horrible and needs to just be completely replaced with a light.  Crossing 34 on 524 could take forever at times pre-change.  It also gets very heavy shore traffic coming and going from the Parkway and backed up on the approaches even before the yield (due to traffic stacking to make a left in the circle). The Wall police need to park some patrol cars in the circle for awhile (which they already occasionally did on the nearby 35/Atlantic Ave. circle pre-change...)
Just watched traffic at the circle, and definitely plenty of traffic still following the old rules... entering from 34 without yielding and stopping in the segments between NB and SB 34 to allow thru traffic to enter.

Alps

cpzilliacus

Quote from: Alps on September 17, 2020, 07:33:40 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 17, 2020, 06:22:32 PM
This should put Vailsburg & Woodbridge Oaks on the map...

https://www.nj.com/news/2020/09/monorail-in-the-median-a-possible-alternative-to-widening-the-parkway-officials-say.html?utm_source=facebook&utm_content=nj_facebook_njcom&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=njcom_sf&fbclid=IwAR01uDGF0Kc5hg0gyby40684nCRi_xKBoTNtozntQ78L2Lm2GLos754fzdY
I don't think a monorail is happening. Exactly what does happen... we shall see.

I posted the below text on the FreewayJim Facebook page in response to the article above, and I repeat it here verbatim:

No, no, NO, a THOUSAND TIMES NO.

Monorail is a solution in search of a problem, and will not work as a replacement to widening the GSP. The inflexibility of monorail (much more difficult to switch between tracks as compared to conventional rail) renders them unfit outside of places like the Disney theme parks. Fixed guideway transit (including monorail) has a dismal record when it comes to de-congesting highways in the United States.

Then there's the matter of emergency response on a monorail train if there is a problem (fire, sick passenger or disabled train) between station stops. It will require a large response by local firefighters for ANY sort of emergency, with one or two ladder trucks required to reach the train and (with difficulty) evacuate patrons to ground level, since there is no trackbed to for responders or patrons to walk on. If the monorail is over the GSP itself, then the responders will need to block lanes on the parkway to protect themselves and their vehicles. I mentioned that it is difficult for monorail trains to switch tracks. So when an incident happens, then trains will just queue up and wait behind the stopped train until it can move along. This is due to the lack of crossovers for trains to run "wrong way" on the opposite side.

NO to monorail - in New Jersey or anywhere else.

If NJTA wants to reduce or manage congestion on certain parts of the Garden State Parkway, they have an excellent tool that works well (unlike monorail). It is called congestion pricing, and can be implemented as part of the transition to cashless toll collection. It involves higher tolls when demand is high, and lower tolls when demand is low. Some electronic toll collection gantries over the Parkway are several orders of magnitude cheaper than a monorail line or some other kind of elevated train line. If transit is desired to serve persons that do not wish to pay the higher tolls, then that can be provided on the Parkway in the form of buses - again, at much lower cost than a train line or a monorail line.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

jeffandnicole

Yeah, I don't foresee a monorail coming either. While some issues aren't any worse than a train line in the middle of a highway: Trains don't stop between stops for a general medical emergency due to the inhered difficultly of getting to the patient (trains just continue on to the next stop...or even several stops down the line), and a fire would cause just as much of a jam on, say, I-66 because of the need to stage trucks on the highway and access hydrants that may be across the highway.  Subways can even be worse, as there's a need to get into several entry areas to be on either side of the train.

However, there are other considerations too: Would a fire cause a potential structural issue?  What would the cost be? And a big one in NJ: The view.  NJ tends to stay low to the ground, to reduce some vision clutter.  Some options for the 295/76/42 interchange were rejected because of their height, which nearby residents would need to contend with.  In regards to the Parkway, the referenced area is heavily residential with at least one cemetery in the area, and they will surely be against any sort of rail line that will need to float above not only the Parkway, but every overpass, meaning a large part of this monorail would be at minimum 40 feet off the ground.

It was mentioned that this could be an ultra-light rail, with speeds that top out at 65 mph.  Would motorists that routinely drive 75 - 80 mph and greater (especially outside of rush hours) be willing to give up their car and extend their commuting time?  How many stops will there be? The more stops means the potential for more passengers, but the more stops mean the potential that motorists won't find it fast enough to bother with.

And, a big one - where would the exact line go?  I think some people are reading into the location too much as if it'll just be a back-and-forth, 14 mile line.  It can easily tie into the Metropark Station at Exit 132 of the Parkway, and Garden State Plaza at Exit 161.   Does the line even need to follow the Parkway?  And if not, would another type system be just as good?  But since the area is so incredibly developed, that brings its own issues:  The area is perfect for a good mass transit solution, but where do you put it that doesn't tear out homes and businesses...which is the exact same issue widening the Parkway would cause.

I don't foresee the Monorail happening either, and the fact it was even brought up is a bit of a head scratcher. But it at least shows how that single Simpsons episode was so well done, and is ingrained in so many people's memory.  I referenced it, many others referenced it, and thousands more no doubt thought about it!

artmalk

Cue that guy on "The Simpsons!" 

NJRoadfan

The monorail option is the token "see! we studied mass transit!" checkbox on a EIS, nothing more. It doesn't actually have to make sense, it just has to be there to complete the paperwork.

Alps

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 18, 2020, 09:24:40 AM
Yeah, I don't foresee a monorail coming either. While some issues aren't any worse than a train line in the middle of a highway: Trains don't stop between stops for a general medical emergency due to the inhered difficultly of getting to the patient (trains just continue on to the next stop...or even several stops down the line), and a fire would cause just as much of a jam on, say, I-66 because of the need to stage trucks on the highway and access hydrants that may be across the highway.  Subways can even be worse, as there's a need to get into several entry areas to be on either side of the train.

However, there are other considerations too: Would a fire cause a potential structural issue?  What would the cost be? And a big one in NJ: The view.  NJ tends to stay low to the ground, to reduce some vision clutter.  Some options for the 295/76/42 interchange were rejected because of their height, which nearby residents would need to contend with.  In regards to the Parkway, the referenced area is heavily residential with at least one cemetery in the area, and they will surely be against any sort of rail line that will need to float above not only the Parkway, but every overpass, meaning a large part of this monorail would be at minimum 40 feet off the ground.

It was mentioned that this could be an ultra-light rail, with speeds that top out at 65 mph.  Would motorists that routinely drive 75 - 80 mph and greater (especially outside of rush hours) be willing to give up their car and extend their commuting time?  How many stops will there be? The more stops means the potential for more passengers, but the more stops mean the potential that motorists won't find it fast enough to bother with.

And, a big one - where would the exact line go?  I think some people are reading into the location too much as if it'll just be a back-and-forth, 14 mile line.  It can easily tie into the Metropark Station at Exit 132 of the Parkway, and Garden State Plaza at Exit 161.   Does the line even need to follow the Parkway?  And if not, would another type system be just as good?  But since the area is so incredibly developed, that brings its own issues:  The area is perfect for a good mass transit solution, but where do you put it that doesn't tear out homes and businesses...which is the exact same issue widening the Parkway would cause.

I don't foresee the Monorail happening either, and the fact it was even brought up is a bit of a head scratcher. But it at least shows how that single Simpsons episode was so well done, and is ingrained in so many people's memory.  I referenced it, many others referenced it, and thousands more no doubt thought about it!
One point re: a rail line: most people are probably using the Parkway as a middle segment from home to work and back. (Disclaimer: I am referencing no O/D studies, just going by intuition. Feel free to prove me wrong.) Very few people either live or work by the Parkway (except for those using Metropark), and a vanishingly small number would do both. (Same disclaimer.) The overall corridor that the Parkway follows (eastern Essex/Union/Passaic Counties) offers plenty of opportunities, but the exact ROW is going to put a limit on solutions.

famartin

Quote from: famartin on July 14, 2020, 08:19:24 PM
Moved from NJ Turnpike thread (had a brain fart and put this there first)

Well, I suppose I should share some of this years round of photos, tho it's far from over... adding more as we speak. My new ones are in the main cat here so scroll down past the subcats (format of my new ones is date-time-placeholder for now)
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Roads_in_New_Jersey
I have many more I plan to take... a welcome distraction from real life right now

Since I originally posted this back on 7/14 I've added A LOT of pictures... almost 2,000 more, in fact. If you checked back then, you can start here, if not, just go to the original link, scroll down and then proceed. (If you are bored  :-D )
https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Category:Roads_in_New_Jersey&filefrom=2020-07-15#mw-category-media

Mr. Matté

New version of the NJDOT Video Log is out, this time Silverlight doesn't appear to be required (or if it is, it's not showing up as required ever after you download it).

State highways are from after the enhanced mileposts came out, checking my notes from old bike rides as to when they were repaved, county roads appear to be from 2016, no toll/authority roads appear to be available.

famartin

So, the SLD still shows CR 583 along its present alignment (at least, last I looked), but this snippet suggests Mercer has essentially removed it, and NJDOT has certainly removed signage for it as requested.
https://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/about/R_2015_d_127_(47_NJR_1979(a)).pdf

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.