News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

I-80/I-99 West Interchange

Started by qguy, June 16, 2018, 10:04:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadsguy

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on March 02, 2019, 10:08:38 AM
Sorry I'm not familiar with Pennsylvania... I went and checked out Google maps and wow what a horrible interchange. Glad to see it upgraded though it seems like they could find a way to expedite this rather than phase it out until 2025. This isn't a very large project.

There is already a high speed interchange a little south that connects to what google maps shows as highway 64. It looks like they plan on building anew facility extending east?

The interchange on I-80 was originally just for PA 26 (which ran into Bellefonte on Jacksonville Road and then continued south on what's now PA 150 to its current alignment, presumably where PA 64 used to end). A super-2 freeway (two lanes on four-lane right-of-way) was built in the early 1970s following what's now I-99, then continuing on the short connector to PA 26. Plans were originally to extend the freeway southeast to US 322, but obviously that never happened. I don't know if plans for the State College—Bellefonte section of I-99 predate the Interstate plans, but there was never any stub for it from the original PA 26 super-2.

One of the alternatives to complete the freeway gap in US 322 would have extended the freeway from Potters Mills northwest to the super-2, where 322 would either run southwest along I-99 to its current alignment or north to I-80, I'm not sure.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

AMLNet49

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 01, 2019, 04:24:02 PM
Well, at least they finally have a construction date for this project! The original segment of Interstate 99 will finally connect with the rest of the Interstate system. Now if they can just find a way to make Interstate 99 continuous between Interstate 80 and Interstate 180/US 15.

The portion between I-80 and New York State will be a "faux" interstate like the east end of I-86.

And I-99 already connects with the interstate system, at its south end. There are no at-grade intersections or traffic lights at I-99's connection to I-70/76

dfilpus

Quote from: AMLNet49 on March 03, 2019, 05:35:52 PM
And I-99 already connects with the interstate system, at its south end. There are no at-grade intersections or traffic lights at I-99's connection to I-70/76
Say what?

hbelkins

Well, at least they finally have a construction date for this project! The original segment of Interstate 99 will finally connect with the rest of the Interstate system. Now if they can just find a way to make Interstate 99 continuous between Interstate 80 and Interstate 180/US 15.

The portion between I-80 and New York State will be a "faux" interstate like the east end of I-86.

Wrong. There's a light at the end of the ramp from I-99 to Business US 220, and a light at the on-ramp to the turnpike from Business 220.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alps

Quote from: dfilpus on March 03, 2019, 06:17:13 PM
Say what?
He meant I-68.

NE2

Quote from: Alps on March 03, 2019, 08:20:19 PM
Say what?
He meant US 30.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

ekt8750

Quote from: hbelkins on March 03, 2019, 07:08:49 PM

Wrong. There's a light at the end of the ramp from I-99 to Business US 220, and a light at the on-ramp to the turnpike from Business 220.

Yeah that interchange is a total Breezewood.

He meant I-68.

Doubt it since I-99's signage ends at the Turnpike.

hbelkins

Quote from: ekt8750 on March 04, 2019, 12:23:48 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on March 03, 2019, 07:08:49 PM

Yeah that interchange is a total Breezewood.

He meant I-68.

Doubt it since I-99's signage ends at the Turnpike.

Actually, it ends at the connector to Business 220. There's an End I-99 sign southbound, and that's where the 0 mile marker is located. I'm not sure if there's a Begin I-99 sign northbound or not; I can't remember if I have ever seen one there. There's no I-99 signage south of there, and everything northbound to the south of that connector says "To North I-99."

He meant I-68.

Although the upgrade of US 220 from Bedford to Cumberland is dead, I admit to being a bit surprised that Maryland hasn't signed any "To I-99" trailblazers at the US 220 exit east of downtown Cumberland. But then again, this is the same state that actively recruits westbound I-70 traffic to stay on I-68 and avoid a huge chunk of P-A.

akotchi

The first I-99 North pull-through (without "to") is actually at the U.S. 30 exit, though the ground-mounted signs still have the "to" banner.  There is a zero marker northbound under the bridge carrying the U.S. 220 Business connector -- I did not see one southbound.

I took a few photos before the Abandoned Turnpike meet in November.
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

Roadsguy

Quote from: akotchi on March 04, 2019, 02:21:33 PM
The first I-99 North pull-through (without "to") is actually at the U.S. 30 exit, though the ground-mounted signs still have the "to" banner.  There is a zero marker northbound under the bridge carrying the U.S. 220 Business connector -- I did not see one southbound.

Technically it's at the local Bedford exit, though you could argue based on signage context that it's "for" the US 30 interchange.

There's no southbound zero-mile marker in any of the Street View years, though that point under the bridge is definitely where SR 0220 becomes SR 0099. There's also a southbound END marker just before the exit to Business 220.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

The Ghostbuster

Couldn't they reconfigure the interchange at the soutern end so there could be a direct connection between Interstate 99/US 220 and the Interstate 70/76 Pennsylvania Turnpike? It may require one or both roads to no longer have access to US 220 Business, but it looks like it could be done.

Alps

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 05, 2019, 04:06:49 PM
Couldn't they reconfigure the interchange at the soutern end so there could be a direct connection between Interstate 99/US 220 and the Interstate 70/76 Pennsylvania Turnpike? It may require one or both roads to no longer have access to US 220 Business, but it looks like it could be done.

Beltway

Here is my Bedford interchange design, full freeway and local connections.
If there is an issue with the loop weaving on I-99 then there is ample space for C-D roadways.

That is the concept, but if I took more time I would smooth out the ramps somewhat... but you get the idea!

http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

WNYroadgeek

Say what?
He meant I-68.
I think you have the digits swapped there. Clearly meant I-86.

hbelkins

If a direct connection was ever made, wonder if those Bedford businesses would howl as loudly as the Breezewood ones do anytime a direct connection is mentioned? It should be noted that Bedford's highway-business corridor there is much more thriving than is Breezewood's.

sparker

Quote from: hbelkins on March 06, 2019, 11:26:34 AM
If a direct connection was ever made, wonder if those Bedford businesses would howl as loudly as the Breezewood ones do anytime a direct connection is mentioned? It should be noted that Bedford's highway-business corridor there is much more thriving than is Breezewood's.

Probably -- claiming precedent regarding the circumstances 15 miles to the east; a more recent instance will simply feed off the first.  It's likely that both PennDOT and the PTC will engage in mutual procrastination about formulation of any such plans for Bedford.   Since the Breezewood situation is approaching the half-century mark -- and I-99 is a little less than half that age, there are good odds that neither location will deviate from the status quo for the foreseeable future.

vdeane

They should have been required to fix Bedford before getting any approval to sign I-99.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Roadsguy

I think the original plan to extend I-99 south to I-68 might have been why Bedford was less of an issue since it wasn't supposed to be an Interstate terminus.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Roadsguy on March 06, 2019, 01:52:43 PMI think the original plan to extend I-99 south to I-68 might have been why Bedford was less of an issue since it wasn't supposed to be an Interstate terminus.
That said, the real question would be: is said-extension completely off the table?  South of Bedford, US 220 still becomes an undivided 2-lane roadway; so an upgrade to a 4-lane expressway from Bedford to I-68 would need to happen before receiving an Interstate designation.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Mr_Northside

I'd have to doubt it.  The actual population of Bedford, while not large, probably helps supply customers. The travelers/locals ratio is probably a lot more balanced than Breezewood, cause I don't know that near as many vehicles enter/exit in Bedford.

Of course, these days (and probably for a while now), it's probably not so much possible opposition as it is local apathy.  I've read PennDOT statements to the effect that most of what they do is first based on local support/desire.  If those in the general area really start clamoring for a direct interchange, it stands a much better chance of happening, which is kind of what happened with the Turnpike & I-79 @ Cranberry - Township officals viewed the non-direct-connection as a hinderance and choke point, and pushed to get the connection.

The first best thing to get Turnpike & other freeway direct connections built is to get the local population to start putting the pressure on.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

hbelkins

Quote from: vdeane on March 06, 2019, 12:22:36 PM
They should have been required to fix Bedford before getting any approval to sign I-99.

Isn't State College (I-80) just as bad as Bedford? At least State College is getting a full freeway interchange, finally.

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 06, 2019, 02:14:33 PM
Quote from: Roadsguy on March 06, 2019, 01:52:43 PMI think the original plan to extend I-99 south to I-68 might have been why Bedford was less of an issue since it wasn't supposed to be an Interstate terminus.
That said, the real question would be: is said-extension completely off the table?  South of Bedford, US 220 still becomes an undivided 2-lane roadway; so an upgrade to a 4-lane expressway from Bedford to I-68 would need to happen before receiving an Interstate designation.

My understanding is that it's dead, Jim. The federal funding (ADHS) slated for it was moved elsewhere in Pennsylvania, and everything I've read indicates that PennDOT has no plans to move forward with extending the freeway south. And even if it did, Maryland's fairly-new segment of US 220 and the I-68 interchange would suddenly become obsolete and in need of upgrading.

Think of I-68 and the Mon-Fayette (WV 43). There's not a full freeway interchange there and probably will never need to be one.

Alps

Quote from: PHLBOS on March 06, 2019, 02:14:33 PM
I believe it's off the table and the funding was transferred to another corridor.

Beltway

Here is my Breezewood interchange design, full freeway and local connections.  The two new ramps would have 2 lanes and a 45 mph design speed.

All Electronic Tolling (AET) could eliminate the segment of old turnpike (connector highway) and build a conventional interchange between the turnpike and I-70.
http://www.roadstothefuture.com
http://www.capital-beltway.com

Baloney is a reserved word on the Internet
    (Robert Coté, 2002)

sparker

^^^^^^^^^
If the stretch of surface street connecting the I-99 and Pike interchanges has experienced any increase in its level of traffic incidents (even "fender-benders") due to the volume of traffic making the transition between the two facilities, conveying those stats to PennDOT and the PTC (although it would seem that the former would be more concerned than the latter) might serve as an initial first step toward development of a direct connector. 

On another note, IIRC ARC corridor "O", which originally followed US 220 between I-68 in Cumberland, MD and I-80, was truncated back to I-70/76 and the mileage applied to US 322 NW from I-99 to I-80 near Woodland; and that HPC #9, the vehicle used to designate I-99, was also cut back simultaneously.  That leaves the 2-lane stretch south of Bedford without a direct Fed funding path, effectively isolating that short MD pre-I-99 super-2 section of US 220 between I-68 and the state line (which apparently was a precursor to the original planned south terminus of I-99 at I-68).  AFAIK, there are no plans in the works at any level to address the remaining 2-lane US 220 section north of the MD state line; I-99 will terminate at Bedford for the time being. 

vdeane

Quote from: hbelkins on March 06, 2019, 03:38:13 PM
Isn't State College (I-80) just as bad as Bedford? At least State College is getting a full freeway interchange, finally.
It is now, but the initial section of I-99 first designated/signed didn't go further north than Bald Eagle (if not further south), so it wouldn't have been a factor then.  Why PA was allowed to sign an interstate that doesn't connect to the rest of the system, I don't know.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.