News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NFL 2026 (what if)

Started by Desert Man, February 14, 2017, 08:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DTComposer

Quote from: dvferyance on October 04, 2017, 12:24:13 PM
What I should have said is he tried to stay there

Again, no. Trying would mean using a portion of his own $2-billion-plus net worth (or any of his connections other other billionaire individuals or corporations) to help fund a new stadium.

but I see no reason why the Chargers should move back to San Diego after the voters rejected the referendum.

So to be clear: in your opinion, a city/metro area does not deserve a team unless the citizens of that city/metro area pay for the stadium out of their own pockets?

jbnv

San Antonio makes sense it has a stadium all ready and was used a a temporary home for the Saints during Katrina.

So was Tiger Stadium at LSU, and that was an utter disaster. It also made sense because a lot of Saints fans were displaced to Texas by Katrina. That doesn't mean that it would work now. Central Texas is Cowboys country. How many of those fans would switch loyalty to a San Antonio-based team?

You can try making an argument that an SA team would succeed if it were in the AFC competing against the Texans. I'd like to hear that argument, because my gut sense says it won't work.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

dvferyance

Quote from: jbnv on October 08, 2017, 10:47:27 AM
San Antonio makes sense it has a stadium all ready and was used a a temporary home for the Saints during Katrina.

So was Tiger Stadium at LSU, and that was an utter disaster. It also made sense because a lot of Saints fans were displaced to Texas by Katrina. That doesn't mean that it would work now. Central Texas is Cowboys country. How many of those fans would switch loyalty to a San Antonio-based team?

You can try making an argument that an SA team would succeed if it were in the AFC competing against the Texans. I'd like to hear that argument, because my gut sense says it won't work.
So what is your point that Baton Rouge could be a viable option for the Chargers? I don't think so too small and way to close to New Orleans and the stadium there is only built for college. The Alamo dome was built to bring in an NFL team. You can at least make the case the Chargers couldn't do any worse there then what they are doing in LA. I think Porltand could be a possibility but there you would have to build a stadium. San Antonio is way bigger than Baton Rouge and has a stadium that is compatible for the NFL. The LSU stadium is only made for college football.

dvferyance

Quote from: DTComposer on October 04, 2017, 05:35:18 PM
What I should have said is he tried to stay there

Again, no. Trying would mean using a portion of his own $2-billion-plus net worth (or any of his connections other other billionaire individuals or corporations) to help fund a new stadium.

but I see no reason why the Chargers should move back to San Diego after the voters rejected the referendum.

So to be clear: in your opinion, a city/metro area does not deserve a team unless the citizens of that city/metro area pay for the stadium out of their own pockets?
Can they even move back? I though Qualcomm was salted to be demolished this year. And the Padres stadium was only built for baseball. I also can't see the people of San Diego welcoming Spanos back.

Big John

^^ SDSU still plays at Qualcomm, but are actively looking at a new place to play.

jbnv

Quote from: dvferyance on October 09, 2017, 04:04:37 PMSo what is your point that Baton Rouge could be a viable option for the Chargers?

Wow, that drove way off into the weeds.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

NWI_Irish96

I don't see the NFL expanding at all for quite a while.  There is already a large talent discrepancy between the best and worst starters at certain position groups is high (especially quarterback) and with all the heightened awareness of concussions and the decline in participation in football at the youth through high school levels, the discrepancy isn't going to decrease.

Some teams may eventually move, but we're going to have 32 teams for a while.

The one change I would like to see is the elimination of conferences.  Just have 8 four-team divisions.  Best four division winners get byes and seeded 1-4.  Other four division winners get seeded 5-8 and host the four wild cards. 
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

jbnv

Especially if the rebooted XFL takes off.

jp the roadgeek

32 works, because it's a number divisible by 2, 4, and 8.  You can only really expand 4 at a time to keep an equal number in a division.  If the NFL went to 34, you'd have two 5-team divisions and six 4-team divisions.  At least with 36, you could have six 6 team divisions.

If we eliminated conferences, the 2017 playoffs would have had the same 4 teams with byes. Tiebreakers would have NE 1st, PHI 2nd, PIT 3rd, and MIN 4th.  Wildcard matchups (based on applicable tiebreakers) would be NO vs. BUF, LAR vs. TEN, JAX vs. ATL, and KC vs CAR. The only issue is that you would have a 7-way tiebreaker for the last 2 wildcards.

If you want to take it to the next level and realign geographically, it would look like this:

NORTHEAST
NE 13-3
BUF 9-7
NYJ 5-11
NYG 3-13

ATLANTIC
PHI 13-3
CAR 11-5
BAL 9-7
WAS 7-9

SOUTHEAST
ATL 10-6
JAX 10-6
MIA 6-10
TB 5-11

GULF COAST
NO 11-5
TEN 9-7
DAL 9-7
HOU 4-12

GREAT LAKES
PIT 13-3
CIN 7-9
IND 4-12
CLE 0-16

NORTH
MIN 13-3
DET 9-7
GB 7-9
CHI 5-11

NORTHWEST
KC 10-6
SEA 9-7
SF 6-10
DEN 5-11

SOUTHWEST
LAR 11-5
LAC 9-7
ARZ 8-8
OAK 6-10

Byes: 1. NE  2. PHI  3. PIT  4. MIN

Wildcard Round: LAR vs. BUF, NO vs. TEN, KC vs. JAX , ATL vs. CAR

Notes:

1. Used league standings for all 3+ team tiebreakers.  Used actual tiebreakers for 2 team tiebreakers, but eliminated division and conference records in the determination.  Did break division ties within proposed divisions before overall seeding ties.

2. NE and PHI get top 2 seeds based on league standings.  PIT gets 3 over MIN based on head to head victory.

3. ATL wins Southeast over JAX based on strength of victory tiebreaker.  KC gets 7 seed over ATL based on same.

4. LAR get 5 seed based on head to head victory over NO

5. TEN and BUF emerge as last two wildcards in a 7-way tiebreaker.  TEN gets 3rd wildcard over BUF based on record vs. common opponents (came down to TEN beating CIN with BUF losing to them)

6. I put OAK in the Southwest based on their impending move to Vega$.

Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

texaskdog

Quote from: dvferyance on March 22, 2017, 06:22:59 PM
Why would San Antonio be a viable NFL market? After all if everyone is so sure the NFL would flop in Milwaukee why would San Antonio be any different? About everyone in San Antonio cheers for Dallas and I am sure the Cowboys have affiliates there like the Packers do with Milwaukee. So what's the difference if Milwaukee doesn't work then there is no reason San Antonio would be any different since the Cowboys are the team of Texas and not just Dallas.

Milwaukee has marginally the population for NFL.  San Antonio is one of the largest cities in the country.

texaskdog

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on January 30, 2018, 05:00:46 PM
32 works, because it's a number divisible by 2, 4, and 8.  You can only really expand 4 at a time to keep an equal number in a division.  If the NFL went to 34, you'd have two 5-team divisions and six 4-team divisions.  At least with 36, you could have six 6 team divisions.

If we eliminated conferences, the 2017 playoffs would have had the same 4 teams with byes. Tiebreakers would have NE 1st, PHI 2nd, PIT 3rd, and MIN 4th.  Wildcard matchups (based on applicable tiebreakers) would be NO vs. BUF, LAR vs. TEN, JAX vs. ATL, and KC vs CAR. The only issue is that you would have a 7-way tiebreaker for the last 2 wildcards.

If you want to take it to the next level and realign geographically, it would look like this:

NORTHEAST
NE 13-3
BUF 9-7
NYJ 5-11
NYG 3-13

ATLANTIC
PHI 13-3
CAR 11-5
BAL 9-7
WAS 7-9

SOUTHEAST
ATL 10-6
JAX 10-6
MIA 6-10
TB 5-11

GULF COAST
NO 11-5
TEN 9-7
DAL 9-7
HOU 4-12

GREAT LAKES
PIT 13-3
CIN 7-9
IND 4-12
CLE 0-16

NORTH
MIN 13-3
DET 9-7
GB 7-9
CHI 5-11

NORTHWEST
KC 10-6
SEA 9-7
SF 6-10
DEN 5-11

SOUTHWEST
LAR 11-5
LAC 9-7
ARZ 8-8
OAK 6-10

So why not Sea/SF/LAR/LAC in a division?
Also flipflop Indy & Detroit

abefroman329

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 18, 2017, 09:24:13 AM
The one thing that could perhaps make the London logistics less of an issue is any of the supersonic business jet proposals come to fruition in the next few years. Most of the proposals involve aircraft that could seat 35 to 50 people. Of course that means you'd need two of them for an NFL team to make the trip, but speaking from experience, flying transatlantic in under three and a half hours makes a massive difference (not to mention the "arrive before you leave" aspect on the westbound flight if the plane is fast enough).

The issue isn't the amount of time it takes to travel (it takes about as much time to travel from, say, Boston to London as it does to travel from Boston to the West Coast), it's jet lag.  That's also the reason why Hawaii will never get an NFL team.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: abefroman329 on February 07, 2018, 03:46:33 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on February 18, 2017, 09:24:13 AM
The one thing that could perhaps make the London logistics less of an issue is any of the supersonic business jet proposals come to fruition in the next few years. Most of the proposals involve aircraft that could seat 35 to 50 people. Of course that means you'd need two of them for an NFL team to make the trip, but speaking from experience, flying transatlantic in under three and a half hours makes a massive difference (not to mention the "arrive before you leave" aspect on the westbound flight if the plane is fast enough).

The issue isn't the amount of time it takes to travel (it takes about as much time to travel from, say, Boston to London as it does to travel from Boston to the West Coast), it's jet lag.  That's also the reason why Hawaii will never get an NFL team.

Actually, Boston to London would be shorter because you're flying with the prevailing winds.  However, coming back across the pond, it would be about as long as Boston to the West Coast.  The toughest trip would be for West Coast teams to go to London; it's an 8 hour difference, and a bye week is almost guaranteed the week after any trip.  Eastern Time Zone teams (except maybe the Colts, Bengals, Browns, and Lions)  can get away without a bye the week after going to London, but  all should be guaranteed a home game the following week.  Those teams in the middle of the country could either have a bye or have a game scheduled on the East Coast the following week and train nearby the stadium. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

texaskdog

Quote from: jbnv on September 24, 2017, 01:18:31 PM
The NFL shouldn't grow beyond 32 teams unless some sort of promotion-relegation system goes into place. There's a perfect number of divisions and teams per division. It's balanced.

6 of 6 is more balanced

texaskdog

New USFL type league in the fall

Honolulu Warriors
Sacramento Invaders
Utah Canyons
Portland Breakers
Albuquerque Blazers
San Diego Blitz

Orlando Renegades
San Antonio Gunslingers
Austin Wranglers
Birmingham Stallions
Memphis Showboats
Saint Louis Stars

hotdogPi

Quote from: texaskdog on February 08, 2018, 10:25:52 AM
The NFL shouldn't grow beyond 32 teams unless some sort of promotion-relegation system goes into place. There's a perfect number of divisions and teams per division. It's balanced.

6 of 6 is more balanced

If it's a power of 2 (like 32), single elimination works better.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

jbnv

6 of 6 is more balanced

So the NFL would have to expand from 32 to 36 in one swoop to maintain the balance. Can it really support four more teams, especially now that it is mired in controversy and losing fans?

jeffandnicole

6 of 6 is more balanced

It sounds more balanced, but it's not really more balanced.

If you have 2 leagues, you'll still need a single wild card team in each league. There'll be no bye teams.  But worst of all, you'll have 14 teams from each league not making the playoffs. Teams that don't have much shot at making the playoffs don't draw fans, and don't sell merchandise.

jbnv

36 teams might work if you had a two-tiered league with promotion and relegation:

• Current two conferences, 2 tiers, 3 divisions, 3 teams per division per tier.
  • Tier 1 membership determined by number of Super Bowl wins, then number of conference/league wins, then overall record.
  • Schedule: Home-and-home with each team in your division (4 games). Home-and-home with each team in the corresponding team in the other tier (4 games). Home-and-home with each team in the corresponding division in the other conference in your tier (4 games). Four more games by random choice. 16 games total.
  • Playoffs: First round: One playoff per division per tier. Top teams of each division plus the remaining team with the best record.
  • The Super Bowl is the AFC and NFC tier-1 champions. The tier-2 AFC and NFC champions play the Saturday before the Super Bowl for the tier-2 championship.
  • Promotion and relegation: The AFC-2 and NFC-2 champions swap places with the last-place teams of their corresponding AFC-1 and NFC-1 divisions.
  • Every four years, realign the divisions to account for geography.

(P.S. I'd love to see promotion and relegation in American football, both professional and collegiate. I think it would make the game more interesting by allowing good teams to bubble up rather than be locked in mediocre conferences forever. But I think it will never happen because it will interfere with tradition.)

Stephane Dumas

Alps

texaskdog

They'd almost have to split back into two leagues with the winners meeting in the super bowl.  Two leagues of 18 that don't cross over during regular season.  Three divisions of 6 would mean 10 divisional games and the other 6 games could be alternated by year.  They try really hard to get everyone to play everyone and it's hard when you only have 16 games.

Desert Man

Quote from: dvferyance on October 02, 2017, 03:02:08 PM
I do agree that 32 is a good number for the NFL but I could see it going to 34 teams someday with a team in St Louis and a team in London. But why would the Chargers move back to San Diego? I really believe Spanos wanted to stay there and really tried hard to get a stadium deal there but after the referendum failed the writing was on the wall. The Chargers will fail in LA but I see them moving to another city in the future like Portland or San Antonio. What really should have happened is the Rams stay in St Louis the Raiders move to LA and the Chargers move to Vegas but that is all too late now.

If the court agreed with the city of San Diego, it's possible, and the LA market would get an expansion team, esp the Stubhub Center in Carson. They will play in the LA stadium in Hollywood Park when it opens in 2020. I guess by 2024, the court decision may bring back the Chargers to San Diego.

NFL alignment 2026-2030: considering the Oakland fan base make them get the Raiders' team records back, similar to how the 2nd Cleveland Browns carries the 1st Browns' team record. I say the NFL acquired a failed league who would been a competitor.

AMERICAN
EAST: Baltimore, Buffalo, New England, NY Jets, Pittsburgh.
NORTH: Cincinnati, Cleveland, Indianapolis, Kansas City, Toronto Wolfpack.
SOUTH: Houston Oilers 2.0, Jacksonville, Miami, San Antonio Texans, Tennessee.
WEST: Denver, LA Express, Las Vegas Cobras, Oakland Raiders 2.0, San Diego Chargers.

NATIONAL
EAST: Atlanta, Carolina, NY Giants, Philadelphia, Washington.
SOUTH: Birmingham Bombers, Dallas, New Orleans, Oklahoma Outlaws, Tampa Bay.
NORTH: Chicago, Detroit, Green Bay, Minnesota, St. Louis Bulldogs.
WEST: Arizona, Hawaii Sharks, LA Rams, San Francisco, Seattle.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Desert Man

Quote from: ixnay on September 22, 2017, 08:39:53 PM
Quote from: english si on March 13, 2017, 08:37:59 AM
Quote from: Rothman on March 12, 2017, 01:37:13 PMSorry, Cheddar became an American citizen in 1866.
And then turned curtain-like: soft, pliable, made quickly and served in thin sheets rather than the gorge-like: hard, a little crumbly, a bit sharp, taking a long time to age, etc. ;)

(I know Wisconsin can make decent cheese - it's the demand from the rest of the country for plastic and/or liquid cheese that gives US cheese a bad rap. And Kraft, who can't even do that well, but dominate the market).

Bump because I was Googling for the issue as to whether the Pack is Milwaukee's team and came across this thread...

As for cheese...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX6DWqyXOxo&t=398s (scroll to 6:57)

(sorry, couldn't resist)

ixnay

I enjoyed Totally Spies when it was on TV (thank god for youtube to find cartoons of any era). They should made an episode Alex (the brown-skinned one out of the 3) as the first female major league player, a pitcher (for the Angels). Sam (the red-haired one is a catcher in the Dodgers) and Clover (the blonde one, a Padres infielder). They're on a mission for WOOHP (the spy org) to save baseball, the American pasttime, from LAMOS (their nemesis). Imagine it happened in an all-star-game (fictionally in Yankee stadium).

Back on topic, nearby suburbs in San Diego area would be better or suitable places for a future NFL stadium: Oceanside and Escondido in the north half of San Diego county, but I disagree with Temecula in Riverside county and Ontario in San Bernardino county. The cities of Industry and Carson attempted to bring the Chargers or Rams back to LA before. And finally, Orange County with Tustin or Irvine, which makes sense and a quick buck - they decided not to bring a second NFL team (no Chargers, Rams or even Raiders back).

Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

dvferyance

I was thinking the other day could Birmingham work for the NFL? Alabama is one of the largest states without any pro sports and like Vegas they did have an XFL team for a year. I highly doubt there is any strong fan base there for a team that any nearby team like the Titans or Falcons would complain about.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.