News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

US 79, Clarksville to Shreveport

Started by hbelkins, January 10, 2018, 11:57:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hbelkins

Judging from the link posted above, it would seem gangs are responsible for much of the crime in Pine Bluff. It still amazes me how gangs could get such a foothold in a not-all-that-big town in the middle of nowhere in a mostly rural state.

It's beginning to appear, though, that this discussion is moot for my purposes. I did the math yesterday, and I won't have accrued enough vacation time to be able to comfortably plan this trip (losing three vacation days to this most recent gout flareup being the primary reason.) I'm not sure I will be able to cover enough of US 11 between Meridian and Knoxville on Sunday to be able to get home on Monday.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

hbelkins

Quote from: oscar on January 11, 2018, 07:59:18 PM
This thread reminds me that I've covered a lot of US 79 already (including all of it in Texas), and I could finish off the rest heading to or from Shreveport.

This map shows the gaps in my US 79 coverage. Basically, a little around Russellville KY and Clarksville TN; a longer stretch NE of Memphis (but I think I have the downtown segment covered); big chunks in Arkansas between Memphis and Fordyce; and a stretch in the Shreveport LA area, where I ran out of daylight before I could finish off US 79 in Louisiana.

A new portion has either already opened, or is getting ready to open, on the south side of Russellville. The plans are to route US 79 around the southern bypass portion of Russellville and have it end at US 68 again on the east side of town.

jpi

Quote from: hbelkins on January 12, 2018, 11:28:32 AM
This thread reminds me that I've covered a lot of US 79 already (including all of it in Texas), and I could finish off the rest heading to or from Shreveport.

This map shows the gaps in my US 79 coverage. Basically, a little around Russellville KY and Clarksville TN; a longer stretch NE of Memphis (but I think I have the downtown segment covered); big chunks in Arkansas between Memphis and Fordyce; and a stretch in the Shreveport LA area, where I ran out of daylight before I could finish off US 79 in Louisiana.

A new portion has either already opened, or is getting ready to open, on the south side of Russellville. The plans are to route US 79 around the southern bypass portion of Russellville and have it end at US 68 again on the east side of town.
Been a long time since I was in Russellville, KY I may head up and check this out this weekend, it was well under construction last time I was up that way earlier in the year.
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Interstate 69 Fan

Quote from: jpi on January 16, 2018, 06:30:37 PM

Been a long time since I was in Russellville, KY I may head up and check this out this weekend, it was well under construction last time I was up that way earlier in the year.

Was completed 2 months ago.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

Avalanchez71

I wonder why KY hasn't extended the US 79 signage past Russellville anyway.

hbelkins

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on January 17, 2018, 01:12:56 PM
I wonder why KY hasn't extended the US 79 signage past Russellville anyway.

No real need for it. The KY 79 route from Russellville north to Morgantown and Caneyville into Breckenridge County and Brandenburg (along with IN 135 to Corydon) isn't exactly a bustling interstate highway corridor. It carries mainly local traffic.

Avalanchez71

The same could have been said about US 641.  They extended it to US 64 recently.

jpi

Quote from: Interstate 69 Fan on January 17, 2018, 12:14:55 PM
Quote from: jpi on January 16, 2018, 06:30:37 PM

Was completed 2 months ago.
I discovered that over the weekend, a nice route around the southern tier of Russellville
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

Mapmikey

Quote from: hbelkins on January 10, 2018, 08:34:34 PM
Quote from: US71 on January 10, 2018, 08:10:56 PM
79 "disappears" once you cross into Arkansas, until you get to the 70/79 Split. Follow US 70.

I will, of course, be crossing on I-55. I've done I-40 and I-55 so I have that portion clinched, so I take it I need to use US 70 through West Memphis. (Google shows US 79 routed on the interstate). I can always double back on AR 218 to I-40 just to be doubly sure.

I know you have indicated your unlikeliness in making the trip, but in addition to the does 79 follow I-40 or not question (by all means do the AR 218 up-and-back...it would take literally a minute), note that Tennessee requested a reroute of US 64-70-79 through downtown Memphis a little while back, though it has not been moved on field postings yet.  The new route would use Danny Thomas Blvd.

hbelkins

Quote from: Mapmikey on January 26, 2018, 09:41:24 PM
I know you have indicated your unlikeliness in making the trip, but in addition to the does 79 follow I-40 or not question (by all means do the AR 218 up-and-back...it would take literally a minute), note that Tennessee requested a reroute of US 64-70-79 through downtown Memphis a little while back, though it has not been moved on field postings yet.  The new route would use Danny Thomas Blvd.

Knowing Tennessee, it won't be moved if the rerouting is approved.  :-D

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.