News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Cambodia: Development and Its Discontent

Started by cpzilliacus, April 15, 2013, 09:55:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cpzilliacus

N.Y. Times:  Development and Its Discontent

QuotePHNOM PENH – In 2010, the Cambodian government unveiled with great fanfare the country's first traffic overpass. The $6 million project – lit with a futuristic blue neon swoosh – was intended to ease congestion where a major boulevard that runs north-south through Phnom Penh intersects with twin bridges that cross the Bassac River, just to the east. Prime Minister Hun Sen called the Sky Bridge Project a "great achievement"  and proclaimed that it would end traffic problems in the area.

QuoteIt wasn't long before commuters discovered a catch: By making it easier for motorists traveling north-south to keep going straight, the new overpass made it impossible for them to turn left onto the intersecting east-west road. The result is a mess. Now, drivers heading south who want to cross the river must first take a right and drive away for several hundred meters and then make a U-turn and head back. And motorists heading north are forced to turn right, which necessarily takes them onto the bridges – meaning that they are forced to cross the river, turn around and cross the river again. Congestion in the area is worse than ever, and the traffic more dangerous.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

vdeane

Sounds like people aren't used to the concept of "limited access".  Though if I found the right spot, that interchange is poorly designed.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

NE2

This? http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=11.530486,104.930694&spn=0.002397,0.004128&gl=us&t=k&z=19
Looks like a typical third-world interchange - right turn ramps with U-turns to turn left. Mexico is full of them.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

cpzilliacus

Quote from: vdeane on April 15, 2013, 11:19:15 AM
Sounds like people aren't used to the concept of "limited access".  Though if I found the right spot, that interchange is poorly designed.

Maybe like this interchange in Arlington County, Va.?
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

NE2

Quote from: cpzilliacus on April 15, 2013, 08:46:26 PM
Quote from: vdeane on April 15, 2013, 11:19:15 AM

Maybe like this interchange in Arlington County, Va.?
Not really. That one's missing two movements, both of which can be easily made with Park Drive.

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

kphoger

Quote from: NE2 on April 15, 2013, 12:50:05 PM
This? http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=11.530486,104.930694&spn=0.002397,0.004128&gl=us&t=k&z=19
Looks like a typical third-world interchange - right turn ramps with U-turns to turn left. Mexico is full of them.

But most of the ones I've encountered in México are where there is little left-turning traffic.  The article makes it sound like there is substantial left-turning traffic at the intersection in question; and, looking at the map, it's easy to see why.  I agree that this was not well planned.  A roundabout interchange (bridge over roundabout) might have been better bang for the buck.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

NE2

kphoger

Quote from: NE2 on April 15, 2013, 10:35:50 PM
One at a major junction in Tijuana: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=32.538483,-116.903533&spn=0.008249,0.016512&t=k&z=17
Another one where you U-turn at a roundabout: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=32.526168,-117.015622&spn=0.004125,0.008256&t=k&z=18

Yes, there are a few.  And, in fact, Tijuana specifically came to mind.  But it isn't the norm across the country for high-volume left-turning movements (and I'm not too convinced that the two you show have incredibly high volumes of left-turning traffic at the missing movements).  And I struggle to think of a single one at what could be considered one of the most crowded junctions in the whole city.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.