News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

North Carolina

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 11:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wdcrft63

Quote from: Dirt Roads on May 26, 2022, 11:56:43 AM
Quote from: LM117 on May 26, 2022, 11:43:43 AM
NC-119 Bypass around Mebane is opening.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2022/2022-05-26-mebane-bypass-road-open.aspx

I thought this day would never come.  I was headed to Burlington via the northern bypass of Mebane early last week and was surprised to see new signage for NC-119 northbound from Stagecoach Road.  That stretch was not yet open but looked like it was complete.  There was no signage for NC-119 southbound there as of Tuesday, May 17.  I'm wondering if that short stretch opened a few days early?
Google Maps shows the DDI and the route of the new bypass.
https://goo.gl/maps/PdaB36ZpqerPDQhQ9

Dirt Roads

Quote from: LM117 on May 26, 2022, 11:43:43 AM
NC-119 Bypass around Mebane is opening.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2022/2022-05-26-mebane-bypass-road-open.aspx

Quote from: Dirt Roads on May 26, 2022, 11:56:43 AM
I thought this day would never come.  I was headed to Burlington via the northern bypass of Mebane early last week and was surprised to see new signage for NC-119 northbound from Stagecoach Road.  That stretch was not yet open but looked like it was complete.  There was no signage for NC-119 southbound there as of Tuesday, May 17.  I'm wondering if that short stretch opened a few days early?

Quote from: wdcrft63 on May 26, 2022, 06:24:29 PM
Google Maps shows the DDI and the route of the new bypass.
https://goo.gl/maps/PdaB36ZpqerPDQhQ9

It's hard to believe that the DDI (Exit 153) opened almost 4 years ago.  The final layer of blacktop wasn't applied until the early part of 2022.  This project was roaring along in 2016 and then came to an almost complete standstill, presumably because of the NCDOT financial issues related to eminent domain payments.  The big question in Mebane is whether Sonic Drive-In will return.  That property got chopped, but it looks like there are more properties now available (but way too expensive for a fast food joint).

oscar

Quote from: M3100 on April 09, 2022, 04:40:31 PM
A short news item in the April 7, 2022 USA Today mentions that the 2.4 mile Rodanthe Bridge will open today [April 9, 2022] to pedestrians and cyclists, ahead of being open to traffic later this month.

The new bridge is expected to finally open to traffic late next week, after Memorial Day weekend.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

cowboy_wilhelm

ARMOURERERIC

I have seen from several states that between revenue loss and inflation that the infrastructure bill that had actually passes may result in a wash.  Any thoughts on what the real NC impact is currently looking like?

Dirt Roads

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on May 31, 2022, 07:16:59 PM
I have seen from several states that between revenue loss and inflation that the infrastructure bill that had actually passes may result in a wash.  Any thoughts on what the real NC impact is currently looking like?

Funny, my son and I were having this same conversation this morning.  Now I know enough to talk to him about it more (thanks to LM117 and CowboyWilhelm).  Assuming this 10-Year STIP has some factor for construction inflation/escalation, right now NCDOT is short $3.36B for Statewide Mobility programs/projects and $3.86B short for Regional Impact programs/projects.  Not sure how things stacked up last year, but it seems like this has worsened due to the current economy.  NCDOT was already having financial issues because of the cost impact of related to the gazillion eminent domain settlements.  However, the issue here is not revenue loss.  It does appear that North Carolina is back to annual adjustments on the gas tax.  The state was making more tax revenue when they started quarterly recalculations back around 2013.

cowboy_wilhelm

Don't forget to add in the rising value of real estate and the increasing costs for right-of-way acquisition. I can't imagine how much the costs have gone up for an upcoming project like the I-26 connector through Asheville with 150 relocations required.

LM117

The ramp from I-40 West to I-440 West in southeast Raleigh will be closed this weekend as part of the I-40 widening project.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2022/2022-06-03-i-40-440-ramp-closure-raleigh.aspx

CanesFan27

The $58 million will go towards preliminary engineering for the missing S-Line tracks north of Ridgeway, preliminary design for the route, and money towards eliminating at-grade crossings along the route in Wake County.

https://spectrumlocalnews.com/nc/charlotte/news/2022/06/01/raleigh-to-richmond-rail-line-get-a--58-million-boost-from-the-feds

LM117

LM117

The rest area/welcome center on I-95 in Robeson County will be torn down and replaced. Work is set to begin later this month and the new building is expected to open by summer 2023.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2022/2022-06-07-robeson-county-rest-area-replacement.aspx

bob7374

The Ghostbuster

What will happen to the existing road? Will it be abandoned?

Dirt Roads

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 10, 2022, 01:25:45 PM
What will happen to the existing road? Will it be abandoned?

The existing road will not be available to the general public, and eventually it will get washed out permanently.  The Atlantic Ocean is trying to re-establish a former channel between Pea Island and Hatteras Island, and it has made a complete cut across NC-12 into Pamlico Sound several times in the past two decades.  The new bridge will allow the channel to become permanent again.

amroad17

This is not road-related but I have noticed that tolbs17 has not been on the forum since the end of March.  I was a bit surprised not to see any posts of his lately--especially in this thread.  Is he OK or has something occurred?
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

wriddle082

Quote from: bob7374 on June 08, 2022, 04:13:18 PM
Bridge opening delayed due to substandard pavement markings:
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2022/2022-06-08-rodanthe-bridge-delay.aspx

Heh, NC has substandard pavement markings all over Charlotte!  Very hard to see lane markings at night since the paint is either worn away or barely reflective.  And they don't seem to want to retrace lines or replace/repair the pavement reflectors.

architect77

Quote from: wriddle082 on June 13, 2022, 02:38:31 AM
Quote from: bob7374 on June 08, 2022, 04:13:18 PM
Bridge opening delayed due to substandard pavement markings:
https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-releases/Pages/2022/2022-06-08-rodanthe-bridge-delay.aspx

Heh, NC has substandard pavement markings all over Charlotte!  Very hard to see lane markings at night since the paint is either worn away or barely reflective.  And they don't seem to want to retrace lines or replace/repair the pavement reflectors.

Talk to the Division at their Albemarle HQ and request fixes.

Takumi

Quote from: amroad17 on June 13, 2022, 12:37:05 AM
This is not road-related but I have noticed that tolbs17 has not been on the forum since the end of March.  I was a bit surprised not to see any posts of his lately--especially in this thread.  Is he OK or has something occurred?
It's been discussed elsewhere, but he was banned.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Strider

Quote from: Takumi on June 14, 2022, 12:49:26 PM
Quote from: amroad17 on June 13, 2022, 12:37:05 AM
It's been discussed elsewhere, but he was banned.

tolbs17 was banned? that explains why I don't see his posts lately. oof.

ARMOURERERIC

So, I see NC Dots STIP is reported to be around $8B overcommitted  over the next 10 years, I look at their annual budget of $6B, does this mean that they just need to stretch their current list out an extra 18 months?  What is the real story, did the infrastructure  bill help at all?  NC is looking at a decent state surplus, do you see any extra money being dropped in the bucket from the state?

froggie

The inflation of the past several months likely played a factor there.  It's effectively made the infrastructure bill a wash.

cowboy_wilhelm

From what I've gathered reading through their online documents, NCDOT significantly over-programmed the STIP based on poor planning that grossly under-estimated right-of-way and construction costs (see slide 15 here), meaning they added too many projects they couldn't afford to construct all at once once actual costs were determined during the design phase. As previously discussed, a combination of storm recovery costs, Map Act settlements and COVID impacts to revenue delayed many projects by a few years. They have recovered their budget, but now you have inflation driving costs much higher for projects that were delayed and originally estimated at x dollars several years ago. In order to fund upcoming projects that may costs tens of millions of dollars more to construct now, they have to delay other projects, and it continues to cascade. So, like us at the grocery store, they're getting less from the money in their pocket than they used to and aren't adding any new projects to the STIP until they can construct their committed projects.

ARMOURERERIC

I do understand the concept, but do they have kind of estimate of when they may be back on track?

Rothman

Wonder if FHWA is looser with NC than they are with NY.  Fiscal constraint of the STIP is watched over closely and FHWA requires offsets.  NY can't report their STIP as being "overcommitted" when the update is complete.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.