News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NYC Roads

Started by Mergingtraffic, September 02, 2015, 03:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dey65

Quote from: Alps on October 10, 2023, 09:11:36 PM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on October 10, 2023, 06:27:00 AM
Ugh! I don't know whether to retch over what I won't like or just fear what I don't know they're planning. I just saw the GSV of the reconstruction of the Pelham Parkway interchange with the Bruckner Expressway, and despite the safety measures for I-95, it looks like a downgrade for the Pelham.

I mean it's getting rid of a cloverleaf, but do the volumes there really need one? Pelham is not really limited access so I don't think it's that bad a deal.
Well, that portion of Pelham Parkway was. I still think the rest of it should be.

roadman65

https://maps.app.goo.gl/Gpyjhigqkg3Bo9TP8
Found this old toll booth under the GWB.

BTW, I tried to find that thread on strange findings in GSV and the search engine here couldn't locate it. I was hoping to post it there.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

So it looks like the PA is replacing signs on the Trans-Manhattan Expwy, and the signs for the HH Pkwy/178 St now show Exit 1A instead of Exit 1. Are they finally getting with the change to mileage based exits that NYSDOT did years ago? Will the HRD exit finally become 1B? This was discussed on the NJ thread a bit, but really should be discussed here.

cockroachking

Quote from: storm2k on October 18, 2023, 11:42:28 AM
So it looks like the PA is replacing signs on the Trans-Manhattan Expwy, and the signs for the HH Pkwy/178 St now show Exit 1A instead of Exit 1. Are they finally getting with the change to mileage based exits that NYSDOT did years ago? Will the HRD exit finally become 1B? This was discussed on the NJ thread a bit, but really should be discussed here.
Hopefully PANYNJ finally got the message. Those new signs are kinda ugly though...

NJRoadfan

That section was always mile based exits. PANYNJ jumped the gun in 2002-03 when they replaced the signs since NY wanted to move I-95 to sequential exits.... and later backtracked. There were photos of all the old Trans-Manhattan signs somewhere on the Internet. I don't remember whose site it was (David Greenberger perhaps?). I don't recall if HRD had an exit number. W 178 St/Henry Hudson Parkway did not have a posted exit number northbound prior to 2002.

vdeane

This has created the interesting situation that the non-Thruway portions of I-95 in NY are now entirely mile-based southbound but not northbound (exit 1 has reverted to 1A both directions, while 1C/D is signed by NYSDOT SB but PANYNJ NB).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

SignBridge

So much confusion with exit numbering. Now I know why California got along fine without them all those years.  :-D

The Ghostbuster

Hopefully, more exit sequences around the city and the state will eventually be converted to mileage-based exit numbers (abet at a snail's pace).

storm2k

Quote from: NJRoadfan on October 18, 2023, 09:26:20 PM

That section was always mile based exits. PANYNJ jumped the gun in 2002-03 when they replaced the signs since NY wanted to move I-95 to sequential exits.... and later backtracked. There were photos of all the old Trans-Manhattan signs somewhere on the Internet. I don't remember whose site it was (David Greenberger perhaps?). I don't recall if HRD had an exit number. W 178 St/Henry Hudson Parkway did not have a posted exit number northbound prior to 2002.

NYSDOT had some of them for a while. When signs for the Major Deegan interchange were replaced in the early aughts, they were signed as 3N-S for a while in older NYSDOT fashion. They've since reverted them to 1C-D.

1995hoo

In an unrelated question prompted by the wording of that sign, when did New York City switch from saying "No Commercial Traffic" to saying "Passenger Cars Only" on the signs for parkways? When I was growing up, the signs all said "No Commercial Traffic." They later augmented those with the occasional sign telling truckers that it's the law for them to use expressways, not parkways. But I don't recall when the change to "Passenger Cars Only" occurred, and I don't drive to New York City very often anymore anyway (to get to Breezy Point last summer, we took the ferry from Wall Street to Rockaway and then used Uber, and my cousin gave us a ride back to the ferry later that day).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 19, 2023, 12:07:39 PM

In an unrelated question prompted by the wording of that sign, when did New York City switch from saying "No Commercial Traffic" to saying "Passenger Cars Only" on the signs for parkways? When I was growing up, the signs all said "No Commercial Traffic." They later augmented those with the occasional sign telling truckers that it's the law for them to use expressways, not parkways. But I don't recall when the change to "Passenger Cars Only" occurred, and I don't drive to New York City very often anymore anyway (to get to Breezy Point last summer, we took the ferry from Wall Street to Rockaway and then used Uber, and my cousin gave us a ride back to the ferry later that day).

Also of note: the truck restriction on the Exit 29A Manhattan Bridge BGS in the background has been removed
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

1995hoo

That doesn't answer my question, as the bridge is not a parkway. If I look at, say, Flatbush Avenue between the Marine Parkway Bridge and the Belt Parkway, the BGSs for the Belt Parkway have "Passenger Cars Only" underneath, not "No Commercial Traffic." Same for the signs for the Belt Parkway on the Verrazzano, the signs for the Interboro Parkway on the Van Wyck, or the signs for Grand Central Parkway coming off the Triboro Bridge.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 19, 2023, 05:13:58 PM
That doesn't answer my question, as the bridge is not a parkway. If I look at, say, Flatbush Avenue between the Marine Parkway Bridge and the Belt Parkway, the BGSs for the Belt Parkway have "Passenger Cars Only" underneath, not "No Commercial Traffic." Same for the signs for the Belt Parkway on the Verrazzano, the signs for the Interboro Parkway on the Van Wyck, or the signs for Grand Central Parkway coming off the Triboro Bridge.

IDK, but CT has switched too, as they now say Passenger Cars Only for the Merritt Pkwy

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: cockroachking on October 18, 2023, 08:51:46 PM
Hopefully PANYNJ finally got the message. Those new signs are kinda ugly though...

Looks like they took down that beautiful US-9 BGS as well.  For the tolls they charge, the signs should be beautifiul and well designed.
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8494766,-73.9422666,3a,75y,118.48h,90t/data=!3m10!1e1!3m8!1sZPdxIeHRrqt4EqK_exHKmw!2e0!5s20111001T000000!7i13312!8i6656!9m2!1b1!2i48?entry=ttu

NJRoadfan

I thought NY had laws that restricted the use of parkways to non-commercial use only. Instead of a height and weight limit (like most every other state), the roadways were limited to "pleasure use". I've heard stories of things like contractor's vans being pulled over and issued citations on parkways since they were "commercial vehicles", despite not being a "truck". It gets more absurd when you realize that some states, like NJ, will issue commercial ("X") tags to any type of vehicle, including sedans.

storm2k

Quote from: NJRoadfan on October 19, 2023, 09:00:20 PM
I thought NY had laws that restricted the use of parkways to non-commercial use only. Instead of a height and weight limit (like most every other state), the roadways were limited to "pleasure use". I've heard stories of things like contractor's vans being pulled over and issued citations on parkways since they were "commercial vehicles", despite not being a "truck". It gets more absurd when you realize that some states, like NJ, will issue commercial ("X") tags to any type of vehicle, including sedans.

The specific language used is "Passenger Cars Only". A lot of time it is due to height and weight restrictions that large trucks would not handle, but yes, technically any vehicle with commercial plates could be pulled over and cited for using the Parkway network in contravention of the rules.

roadman65

Quote from: storm2k on October 19, 2023, 11:30:03 PM

The specific language used is "Passenger Cars Only". A lot of time it is due to height and weight restrictions that large trucks would not handle, but yes, technically any vehicle with commercial plates could be pulled over and cited for using the Parkway network in contravention of the rules.

Also the Domino Pizza Delivery vehicle can ( if he has the lit sign on the roof.) get pulled as any vehicle ( car, van, truck) with any mention of a company or business on the vehicle is automatically considered to be commercial and not private.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

SignBridge

A State Trooper on Long Island once told me that yes, any vehicle including a sedan with business lettering or graphics on it is technically  a commercial vehicle. However this particular Trooper said he might not ticket such a vehicle because the intent of the law was to keep big trucks off the Parkways, and a car with a business name on it doesn't really cause a problem regarding the low bridges.

He cautioned however that some Troopers he worked with would ticket a sedan with a business name because it is technically a commercial vehicle and a violation of law. 

D-Dey65

Quote from: SignBridge on October 20, 2023, 08:21:40 PM
A State Trooper on Long Island once told me that yes, any vehicle including a sedan with business lettering or graphics on it is technically  a commercial vehicle. However this particular Trooper said he might not ticket such a vehicle because the intent of the law was to keep big trucks off the Parkways, and a car with a business name on it doesn't really cause a problem regarding the low bridges.

He cautioned however that some Troopers he worked with would ticket a sedan with a business name because it is technically a commercial vehicle and a violation of law. 
I've seen my share of occasional passenger cars that use commercial plates. I even know of one captured in a movie:
https://onthesetofnewyork.com/onetrickpony.html
Scroll down onto the yellow Toyota Celica.

Duke87

Yeah what you see here is the result of a turf war plus one agency unexpectedly flip flopping.

NYSDOT was very actively changing all the exit numbers on the Cross Bronx to sequential around 2009 (there were for example signs up marking I-295 as exit 12 at one point). The Port Authority changed their old signs for 1A/1B/1C to 1/2/3 in coordination on this effort.

But then NYSDOT changed their mind and put all the old mile-based numbers back. The Port Authority then was like "screw you we're not spending extra money to change our signs again because you can't make up your mind".

It is good to see that as those signs come up for normally due replacement that the mile-based numbers are actually returning instead of the Port Authority just blindly carbon copying what exists.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

vdeane

Quote from: Duke87 on October 24, 2023, 10:47:41 PM

Yeah what you see here is the result of a turf war plus one agency unexpectedly flip flopping.

NYSDOT was very actively changing all the exit numbers on the Cross Bronx to sequential around 2009 (there were for example signs up marking I-295 as exit 12 at one point). The Port Authority changed their old signs for 1A/1B/1C to 1/2/3 in coordination on this effort.

But then NYSDOT changed their mind and put all the old mile-based numbers back. The Port Authority then was like "screw you we're not spending extra money to change our signs again because you can't make up your mind".

It is good to see that as those signs come up for normally due replacement that the mile-based numbers are actually returning instead of the Port Authority just blindly carbon copying what exists.
Didn't they recently do a replace in kind of an "exit 2" sign?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

dgolub

Quote from: vdeane on October 25, 2023, 12:41:57 PM
Quote from: Duke87 on October 24, 2023, 10:47:41 PM

Didn't they recently do a replace in kind of an "exit 2" sign?

I went through there on the way back from Cumberland on Monday.  Exits 2-3 remain unchanged.  Exit 1 is now inconsistent.  It's signed as exit 1A in Manhattan but still signed as exit 1 on the bridge itself.

Mergingtraffic

Looks like the PANYNJ changed the Exit tab to Exit 1A.  For the tolls we pay them you'd think the tab could be straighter and the shield could be better looking.

Here's a pic from a couple years ago:

mapman1071

Would that also include Official NYC Taxi, Uber and lyft also MTA/NYC transit buses and paratransit vans?

Plutonic Panda

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.