News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What roadtrips do you have planned for 2011?

Started by Dougtone, December 30, 2010, 07:32:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

realjd

Quote from: wriddle082 on December 31, 2010, 01:36:14 AM
My first roadtrip of the year will be towing the final U-Haul trailer full of stuff from the Nashville area to the Columbia, SC area.  This time I'm going through Atlanta!  I don't wanna even THINK about I-40 through Western NC until at least April!

I've driven that stretch of I-40 many times during the winter and this past week was the only time I've ever seen any snow on the ground, let alone on the road. My advice would be to watch the weather forecast but to do anything possible to avoid Atlanta.

As for road trips I have planned, I'm driving up to Columbia in a few weeks. I'm also going to a wedding in Albuquerque in May and am thinking about  renting a car and driving to San Diego to see some of my wife's family. I've spent a good amount of time in the San Diego area for work but have never really had a chance to explore the SW by car. We may even throw in a night or two in Vegas depending on our budget and my available vacation time. And who knows - maybe we'll drive the whole way to Albuquerque to avoid having to rent a car!

deathtopumpkins

I have a minor run down into North Carolina (Edenton - Elizabeth City area) scheduled for next weekened, followed by a road trip to Amherst, MA (and possibly as far as Burlington, VT) that just came up for the 15th-17th. Besides that, I will hopefully spend Spring Break visiting colleges, and will probably be in Boston a few more times this Spring (by plane, however, not car). Then from August on it will be regular road trips between Virginia and wherever I end up going to college - likely either Connecticut or Massachusetts.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

Hot Rod Hootenanny

I'm not planning any roadtrips outside of Ohio. I'll see what comes out with the roadmeets.
There's 5% chance that I'll be heading to Philadelphia around 4th of July (found out today that a cousin out that way is getting married the weekend leading up).
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Ace10

Planning on making a trip from Orlando to Chicago in March with the boyfriend. He's wanting to go to the American Choral Directors Association (ACDA) conference there. Can you believe it, I haven't ever driven north of I-10! (Except for a super short trip up I-65 in Mobile, and a few miles north of I-12, but those don't really count).

AZDude

As you may know, I'll be driving to Key West.  In the summer I plan on driving all the way to Houlton, Maine.

Michael in Philly

I haven't been south of Virginia or west of Ohio since the '80s, while I've done the Northeast to death.  I must remedy that.  And I want to see some Civil War sites over the next few years (since we're in the 150th-anniversary period).  And I said to myself a few days ago that - once I'm sure the reasonably-trusty '02 Lancer is up to it - I should just take a couple weeks' vacation, go as far from home as I can get in a week and come back by a different route.

So maybe, when I'm sick of winter, a week wandering around the deep south, then in the summer head west?

Also Montreal for a spate of book-buying (I like to keep up my French.)  Or at least book-browsing and then ordering from Amazon France, which is actually cheaper even with shipping, or was the last time I went up.  For that matter, I also really want to get to Europe.  It's been too long.  Don't know about driving in Europe, though - blowing $100 or more on each tank of gas puts me off.  In my next life, I'd like to be independently wealthy.  :-/
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

MDOTFanFB

Currently planning a trip to Ohio tomorrow and may do my annual trek to Chicago in the spring and if I have enough money and free time to get a passport, maybe then I will make a side trip into Windsor, ON, not sure if I'll get there by the bridge or the tunnel. And if I have enough for gas, I may branch out to trips to places like Cleveland and perhaps upper Michigan.

Michael in Philly

Quote from: MDOTFanFB on January 01, 2011, 07:10:16 PM
Currently planning a trip to Ohio tomorrow and may do my annual trek to Chicago in the spring and if I have enough money and free time to get a passport, maybe then I will make a side trip into Windsor, ON, not sure if I'll get there by the bridge or the tunnel. And if I have enough for gas, I may branch out to trips to places like Cleveland and perhaps upper Michigan.

Oh, for the days when you didn't need a passport to go to Canada.  (Note to self:  where is my passport anyway?)
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

rawmustard

In the short term, next Saturday I'll be headed to South Lyon for a memorial service, but past that I've not made any firm decisions. I know I want to get back to southwest Indiana at some point and maybe explore more of Evansville proper. Since I'm down to less than a week's vacation until July, I likely won't make any trips that'll require me to burn more than one vacation day until then. I also will probably get back to the U.P. after skipping a trip there in 2010. I might also make a trip or two into Ontario and explore some more there. Maybe this will be the year I cross the Mississippi by land. Stay tuned.

english si

Quote from: Michael in Philly on January 01, 2011, 06:52:33 PMDon't know about driving in Europe, though - blowing $100 or more on each tank of gas puts me off.
With the weak Euro (and Pound) against the dollar, higher octane fuel and smaller gas tanks, it's very hard to spend $100 on one tank of gas in Europe.

£40/€40 easily, but that's 'only' something like $60.

Michael in Philly

Quote from: english si on January 02, 2011, 07:58:38 AM
Quote from: Michael in Philly on January 01, 2011, 06:52:33 PMDon't know about driving in Europe, though - blowing $100 or more on each tank of gas puts me off.
With the weak Euro (and Pound) against the dollar, higher octane fuel and smaller gas tanks, it's very hard to spend $100 on one tank of gas in Europe.

£40/€40 easily, but that's 'only' something like $60.

Well, that's something anyway.  I'll start saving up.  :-)  Or more likely not.
RIP Dad 1924-2012.

Chris

Diesel is usually less expensive in Europe. In some countries the share of diesel passenger cars is over 80%. I drive diesel myself, it's around $ 6 per gallon and I can get some 47 - 48 miles per gallon, hence; $ 0.125 per mile. That's the same as having $ 3 per gallon gas and get 25 mpg.

Besides that, in some Euro countries LPG (Liquefied Propane Gas) is very popular as a substitute for $ 7 - 9 gasoline, especially in places like Turkey, Poland, Italy and France. LPG runs around $ 3.50 per gallon but you usually only get some 25 mpg.

I usually do not plan very far ahead with roadtrips. I'm inclined to visit Eastern Austria this year and make some trips to Slovakia and Hungary. Another big "plan" is to drive up north across the arctic circle in Scandinavia.

6a

If all goes well, my sister-in-law is moving to Ohio from Alaska.  I doubt I'll be able to make the whole trip, but I'm seriously considering a flight to Edmonton to at least drive halfway.  That might fulfill a childhood dream of going to Moose Jaw :D

yanksfan6129

Obviously, I'll make all the New Jersey meets, as long as I have sufficient notice. And I would like to make the Watertown meet coming this fall, but I will be a freshman in college and my transportation situation is still very much unknown, not to mention the fact that I'd ideally spend the first semester of my freshman year actually at school getting acquainted with people. But it's on my radar.

In terms of other stuff, I am very very very hopeful that I will have the time and money to, mainly, just dart around my area a whole lot this summer. Not long trips, usually stuff that would have me back home in the evening. But I would like to visit southern Canada. And possibly get to know the Delmarva peninsula. Hell, maybe even finally really see south Jersey. I've been planning a trip for about two years to go really far down south in NJ. But it depends on time and money.

mightyace

Here's what I have on tap:
One or more overland trips to Bloomsburg, PA.  (As Williamsport is less than an hour away, the Williamsport meet might be possible.)

The spring race in Bristol, TN.

Possibly, the Texarkana meet, especially if it end of the weekend of the first Texas race.

Possibly, the first Sprint Cup race at Kentucky Motor Speedway in July.

The main variable is that my job situation is still unstable.  If I end up out of work, then road trips are out unless it's to an interview.  Otherwise, who knows?
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

MDOTFanFB

Although this might not be in 2011, but next year, I have on tap a trip to Sandusky, OH. What might be possible, we may head further to either Cleveland, Erie, PA or Buffalo, NY or perhaps even venture further into NY State and drive on the NY State Thruway for the first time (time and money may change that).

Quillz

At some point I'll drive up to Mammoth Mtn. to go snowboarding. For me, that requires driving on CA-27, CA-118, I-405, I-5, CA-14, US-395 and CA-203.

realjd

Quote from: MDOTFanFB on January 05, 2011, 06:54:16 PM
Although this might not be in 2011, but next year, I have on tap a trip to Sandusky, OH. What might be possible, we may head further to either Cleveland, Erie, PA or Buffalo, NY or perhaps even venture further into NY State and drive on the NY State Thruway for the first time (time and money may change that).

Going to Cedar Point? That place is one of the few things I miss about living in the midwest. Every summer back in high school and college, my friends and I would get passes and at least once a month make the 3-hour drive there and back from Fort Wayne. I probably still have every landmark and turn memorized on our usual route - US24 and US6!

OracleUsr

I may be making a trip to NY State and driving to Massachusetts, possibly, for my annual lighthouse trip.  It'll depend on if my father and I decide to take a trip instead.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.