News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Providence RI "city meet" - May 4, 2019

Started by A.J. Bertin, August 05, 2018, 08:52:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

In which part of the metro Providence area should I find a restaurant for us to meet up for lunch for this meet?

The northern part (Pawtucket, Central Falls, Fairlawn, etc.)
0 (0%)
The western/northwestern part (North Providence, Johnston, Smithfield, etc.)
0 (0%)
The southern part (Cranston, Warwick, etc.)
2 (22.2%)
East Providence
2 (22.2%)
(I don't know enough about this area to have an opinion.)
5 (55.6%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: December 30, 2018, 09:10:24 PM

Brandon

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on March 18, 2019, 07:20:24 AM
I'm hoping to have a firm count of attendees by a week or two prior to the meet. (Is that reasonable?) Is anyone planning on attending this meet who is not connected to the event on Facebook?

I'm interested in what's going on, but unfortunately, I have an event on that Sunday here (of which you'll see video on Facebook).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

A.J. Bertin

I announced this on the Facebook event last night, but I figured I'd share it here as well.

Lunch will take place at Davenports Restaurant, which is located at 1925 Pawtucket Ave., East Providence, RI 02914. I've got a reservation at 11 a.m. for 12 people which happens to be the same number of attendees per the Facebook event. Davenports is in the outlot of a rather large strip mall where there's plenty of parking for the folks who want to leave their car behind while touring the area. There's still plenty of time in case anyone else decides they want to attend. I would just like a final count, if possible, by a week before the meet.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone!!
-A.J. from Michigan

jpi

Quote from: Brandon on March 18, 2019, 11:42:11 AM
Quote from: A.J. Bertin on March 18, 2019, 07:20:24 AM
I'm hoping to have a firm count of attendees by a week or two prior to the meet. (Is that reasonable?) Is anyone planning on attending this meet who is not connected to the event on Facebook?

I'm interested in what's going on, but unfortunately, I have an event on that Sunday here (of which you'll see video on Facebook).
I know what you mean, I will be in Dayton, OH for a toy show that Sunday and setting up Saturday, plus coming from central PA too. Hope you all have fun, one of these days I will get back up to that part of New England :nod:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

cl94

I am solidly "in" unless there are major unforeseen circumstances, what remains to be seen is if I will make it a day trip or an overnight. Given that there's also a roadgeek event the prior weekend, I almost certainly won't be arriving in town until Saturday morning, but I'll at least be at the lunch.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

mattpedersen

Looks like I am in, pending being able to stay with friends in the area. My leave request at work was approved.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: mattpedersen on March 25, 2019, 04:50:32 AM
Looks like I am in, pending being able to stay with friends in the area. My leave request at work was approved.

Awesome! I think this means we're up to 14 now for lunch. :)
-A.J. from Michigan

okroads

I also posted this on Facebook, but I plan to attend.

cl94

This is starting to look like the annual Meet To Be At™. Most of New York and Michigan will be there.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

signalman

Quote from: cl94 on March 28, 2019, 12:43:56 PM
This is starting to look like the annual Meet To Be At™. Most of New York and Michigan will be there.
Spring has a way of encouraging people out of their winter cocoons.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: cl94 on March 28, 2019, 12:43:56 PM
This is starting to look like the annual Meet To Be At™.

I'm honestly quite humbled and delighted to hear you say that. I would have never guessed that a non-road-meet meet that is being hosted by me, of all people, would be popular enough to have that kind of distinction.
-A.J. from Michigan

vdeane

I wonder what factors lead a meet to becoming a given year's Meet To Be At™.  Being an early-announced spring meet certainly seems to provide massive points in favor, in any case.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jpi

Last year in April my meet was the meet to be at and yes I was quite humbled too  :biggrin:
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

A.J. Bertin

I've been posting a few things on the Facebook event page, but I figured I'd also chime in with a few things here for anyone who's not connected to the event on Facebook.

I've been delighted to hear, at least on the Facebook event page, attendees talking about the various things they might see and do after lunch. For me, I'm thinking I will want to explore downtown Providence, drive the freeway network (or at least a significant portion of it), and maybe go out toward the ocean.

For those of us who are interested in meeting back up for dinner, I'm thinking we'll do dinner around 7 p.m. in Warwick since Warwick is where the hotel that several attendees are staying at is located. (The restaurant is to be determined.) After dinner, I'd like to invite anyone who's interested to come for karaoke at Picasso's Pizza & Pub, 2323 Warwick Ave., Warwick, RI 02889. Karaoke starts at 8. We probably won't get there until at least 8:30 or so.

The meet is less than 4 weeks away now. I'm super excited!
-A.J. from Michigan

mattpedersen

Can you add me to the meet Facebook page? Matt Pedersen, university of Baltimore, my profile picture is a traffic light in Easton MD, caught between cycles.

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on April 10, 2019, 09:41:20 PM
I've been posting a few things on the Facebook event page, but I figured I'd also chime in with a few things here for anyone who's not connected to the event on Facebook.

I've been delighted to hear, at least on the Facebook event page, attendees talking about the various things they might see and do after lunch. For me, I'm thinking I will want to explore downtown Providence, drive the freeway network (or at least a significant portion of it), and maybe go out toward the ocean.

For those of us who are interested in meeting back up for dinner, I'm thinking we'll do dinner around 7 p.m. in Warwick since Warwick is where the hotel that several attendees are staying at is located. (The restaurant is to be determined.) After dinner, I'd like to invite anyone who's interested to come for karaoke at Picasso's Pizza & Pub, 2323 Warwick Ave., Warwick, RI 02889. Karaoke starts at 8. We probably won't get there until at least 8:30 or so.

The meet is less than 4 weeks away now. I'm super excited!

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: mattpedersen on April 11, 2019, 12:39:50 AM
Can you add me to the meet Facebook page? Matt Pedersen, university of Baltimore, my profile picture is a traffic light in Easton MD, caught between cycles.

You're already on the Facebook event page, and we've got you down as attending. (Josh Schmid had invited you.) Check your Events on your Facebook page and you'll find us. :)
-A.J. from Michigan

froggie

I'm a tentative yes for this...I'm going to try to make it work since I won't make it to the baby shower and some of the same people will also be attending this.

A.J. Bertin

We're now less than two weeks away! Just a friendly reminder that I'm hoping to have a final count by this Saturday, April 27. Right now it's looking like we might have 17 people altogether for lunch. If you're on Facebook but are not connected to the event to be able to RSVP, maybe I (or one of the other attendees) can forward the invitation to you. If you're not on Facebook but are still planning to go, that's totally cool. (As far as I know, I don't think there's anyone going who's not on Facebook but I could be wrong.)

For anyone who wants to stick around for dinner, I think I've narrowed down the dinner restaurants to two specific options in Warwick. I'll post those details in the Facebook event soon.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone, at least for lunch, on May 4!
-A.J. from Michigan

cjk374

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on April 22, 2019, 07:27:17 AM
We're now less than two weeks away! Just a friendly reminder that I'm hoping to have a final count by this Saturday, April 27. Right now it's looking like we might have 17 people altogether for lunch. If you're on Facebook but are not connected to the event to be able to RSVP, maybe I (or one of the other attendees) can forward the invitation to you. If you're not on Facebook but are still planning to go, that's totally cool. (As far as I know, I don't think there's anyone going who's not on Facebook but I could be wrong.)

For anyone who wants to stick around for dinner, I think I've narrowed down the dinner restaurants to two specific options in Warwick. I'll post those details in the Facebook event soon.

Remember: if y'all get rowdy enough in Warwick to the point the police are called, we will see it all go down on Live PD!  :bigass:  :-D

Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

hbelkins

Quote from: cjk374 on April 23, 2019, 09:40:30 AM
Quote from: A.J. Bertin on April 22, 2019, 07:27:17 AM

Remember: if y'all get rowdy enough in Warwick to the point the police are called, we will see it all go down on Live PD!  :bigass:  :-D

I forget what happened that made me unable to attend the Springfield, Mo., meet last year, but I had told my wife to watch for me on Live PD if I did get out there. (The county sheriff's department is a regular fixture on that show.) I was going to try to find out where they were and do a drive-by of one of their traffic stops.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

A.J. Bertin

Someone will have to explain exactly what Live PD is and why/how Warwick is featured on it.  ;-)
-A.J. from Michigan

Dougtone

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on April 23, 2019, 05:49:41 PM
Someone will have to explain exactly what Live PD is and why/how Warwick is featured on it.  ;-)

Live PD is a TV show that focuses on policing activities in a number of municipalities across the U.S., and Warwick is one of the municipalities that they follow.
https://www.aetv.com/shows/live-pd/about

Alps

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on April 23, 2019, 05:49:41 PM
It zooms around to several action shots of police in action - nothing is actually live but it's presented in "real time". They contract with various PDs like Warwick.

froggie

^ My wife's familiar with the technology they're using.  As long as they're not saying "Earlier In..." or "Moments Ago", it actually is live.  Maybe a few seconds of lag, depending on the cell service.

hbelkins

Quote from: froggie on April 24, 2019, 08:20:59 AM
^ My wife's familiar with the technology they're using.  As long as they're not saying "Earlier In..." or "Moments Ago", it actually is live.  Maybe a few seconds of lag, depending on the cell service.

Also, the built-in buffer so they can bleep out profanities that may be uttered in the heat of the moment.

My wife suggested that if Doug's in attendance, he should take his Fathead and try to get it on the air.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.