News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Random Thoughts

Started by kenarmy, March 29, 2021, 10:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotdogPi

How did it take me so long to realize that the "Advise on Travel on I-5 from California to Vancouver BC in late December-January" thread was about advice and not an advisory (e.g. road closed, detour)?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

kphoger

Well, this didn't happen.

Quote from: Poiponen13 on June 20, 2023, 10:16:30 AM
Next year there is again a Leap Day (Feb 29), which is on Thursday. I just came up with an idea: I feared leap day when I was younger (until 7-8 years ago), so I would propose that Leap Day would bring US and other places close to a standstill: there would be no sporting events, public transport would not run, taxis would not be available, shops would be closed and if it is on Sunday (next 2032) then there would be no church services. Everyone would hide in their homes.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

He ever explain why he was afraid of Leap Days?

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 01, 2024, 04:26:01 PM

Not that I recall.  Nor why he thinks something should change now based on a fear he stopped having years ago.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

dlsterner

Quote from: kphoger on March 01, 2024, 04:38:15 PM

Not that I recall.  Nor why he thinks something should change now based on a fear he stopped having years ago.

Hey, we all have our fears.  As a young child I feared the flying monkeys in "The Wizard Of Oz".

dlsterner

Quote from: kphoger on March 01, 2024, 04:20:18 PM

Next year there is again a Leap Day (Feb 29), which is on Thursday. I just came up with an idea: I feared leap day when I was younger (until 7-8 years ago), so I would propose that Leap Day would bring US and other places close to a standstill: there would be no sporting events, public transport would not run, taxis would not be available, shops would be closed and if it is on Sunday (next 2032) then there would be no church services. Everyone would hide in their homes.

In other words, the same thing as the dire predictions for January 1, 2000.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: dlsterner on March 01, 2024, 05:10:15 PM

I always felt as though the Flying Monkeys were probably sufficient enough of a military force that the Wicked Witch didn't those green Oreo soldier guys (I know now that isn't what they chanting in formation).  The Oreo guys even actively just stand there and don't do anything to aid killing the party at the end to retrieve the Ruby Slippers.  My understanding was that it was just Wicked Witch that couldn't harm Dorthy but her minions could. 

kphoger

Quote from: dlsterner on March 01, 2024, 05:07:33 PM

Hey, we all have our fears.  As a young child I feared the flying monkeys in "The Wizard Of Oz".

But that was years ago.  Same with the Finn's fear of Leap Day.  Years ago.  Why advocate changing something now based on an unusual fear you no longer even have?
Male pronouns, please.

Max Rockatansky

Unlike P13's fear of Leap Day I think that the prospect of continued flying monkey attacks might be something viewed as a consensus negative.

Rothman

Quote from: dlsterner on March 01, 2024, 05:10:15 PM

That disaster was averted by the work of a whole lot of programmers working overtime to make sure it was, my mother having been one of them.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

GaryV

Quote from: dlsterner on March 01, 2024, 05:07:33 PM

Some never got that far - the wicked neighbor turning into the wicked witch in the tornado did it for them.

kphoger

A lot of people hate Mondays.

What I hate, though, are Friday afternoons when I've run out of things to work on.  Clock-out time is an eternity away.
Male pronouns, please.

kkt

Quote from: kphoger on March 08, 2024, 04:36:02 PM

What I hate, though, are Friday afternoons when I've run out of things to work on.  Clock-out time is an eternity away.

I never seemed to have that problem.  It was more of a "what is the most urgent to get done before the week ends?"

kphoger

Quote from: kkt on March 08, 2024, 06:32:45 PM

I never seemed to have that problem.  It was more of a "what is the most urgent to get done before the week ends?"

But there's a good chance that, by the afternoon, anything I still have left to start on won't get done by the week-end.  And I don't generally want to start something I can't finish.
Male pronouns, please.

kkt

Depends on the job - many of the things I did could be left in the middle as long as I left a note about where I was.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kkt on March 08, 2024, 06:32:45 PM

I usually just cash in any time overages I had during the week and leave early.  But that also is the benefit of being on salary.

TheHighwayMan3561

Why is it "New Zealand" and not "New Zed-land"?
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Big John

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 10, 2024, 10:13:49 PM
The Dutch discovered it before Cook did.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Big John on March 10, 2024, 10:18:52 PM

I wasn't looking for the serious answer.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Rothman

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 11, 2024, 12:12:28 PM
Quote from: Big John on March 10, 2024, 10:18:52 PM

I wasn't looking for the serious answer.

Don't ask questions you're not going to like the answer to.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Yeah, if you're not looking for the serious answer, then you need to ask the question in a less-nerdy environment than this one.
Male pronouns, please.

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on March 11, 2024, 12:21:23 PM
Yeah, if you're not looking for the serious answer, then you need to ask the question in a less-nerdy environment than this one.
USE FUN AT OWN RISK

This is probably the closest thing to a non-serious thread on this forum, less any ridiculous proposals deemed Fictional.

Scott5114

Quote from: formulanone on March 12, 2024, 07:07:04 PM
USE FUN AT OWN RISK

This is probably the closest thing to a non-serious thread on this forum, less any ridiculous proposals deemed Fictional.

April Fool's Day is in three weeks. Be careful what you put out into the universe...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

webny99

To be fair, the same also applies if you ARE looking for a serious answer. Best to expect neither and be pleased when you get both.

kurumi

Imagine if we had all of today's technology -- except batteries. You'd have to start up your iPhone like a lawnmower.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.