News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Random Thoughts

Started by kenarmy, March 29, 2021, 10:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Your phone would need to run off some alternative source of energy such as gasoline.  Even the era of hand cranked cars there was EV alternatives.  It would be one held a bizarre proposition to have even remotely modern technology without some sort of primitive battery coming into existence.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kurumi on March 16, 2024, 12:21:48 AM
Imagine if we had all of today's technology -- except batteries. You'd have to start up your iPhone like a lawnmower.

You'd have to start up a car like a lawnmower also.

ZLoth

Quote from: kurumi on March 16, 2024, 12:21:48 AMImagine if we had all of today's technology -- except batteries. You'd have to start up your iPhone like a lawnmower.

You can forget about having any sort of portable devices. For the longest time, the only form of rechargable battery was the lead acid battery in your car, Nickle-Cadnium batteries for portable electronics, and Nickle-Iron batteries. 1990 saw the introduction of the Nickle-Metal Hydride battery, and 1999 the introduction of Lithion-Ion polymers... both superior technologies over NiCd batteries.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Scott5114

Quote from: ZLoth on March 16, 2024, 02:56:37 PM
Quote from: kurumi on March 16, 2024, 12:21:48 AMImagine if we had all of today's technology -- except batteries. You'd have to start up your iPhone like a lawnmower.

You can forget about having any sort of portable devices. For the longest time, the only form of rechargable battery was the lead acid battery in your car, Nickle-Cadnium batteries for portable electronics, and Nickle-Iron batteries. 1990 saw the introduction of the Nickle-Metal Hydride battery, and 1999 the introduction of Lithion-Ion polymers... both superior technologies over NiCd batteries.

The thought of having to drop a half-dozen AA batteries in your phone every now and then is sort of amusing.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 16, 2024, 05:43:11 PM

The thought of having to drop a half-dozen AA batteries in your phone every now and then is sort of amusing.

Better if it were Ds.

Max Rockatansky

Not without precedent if you look at how early portable game consoles were used.  I thought AA battery life was manageable with the original Game Boy.  The Game Gear's AA battery life span and appetite (six as opposed to four with the Game Boy) was about where I was going to draw the line.

Big John

Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 16, 2024, 05:44:24 PM

Better if it were Ds.
I prefer lantern batteries.

ZLoth

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 16, 2024, 05:43:11 PMThe thought of having to drop a half-dozen AA batteries in your phone every now and then is sort of amusing.

No joke... in the mid-1990s, the Motorola flip phone used NiCd battery pack, but you could also purchase a Motorola battery adapter that took six AA batteries. My mother often used that pack rather than waiting for the phone to charge which took a long time.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

kphoger

Imagine if we had all of today's technology -- except batteries. You'd have to start up your iPhone like a lawnmower.

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 16, 2024, 07:59:56 AM
Your phone would need to run off some alternative source of energy such as gasoline.  Even the era of hand cranked cars there was EV alternatives.  It would be one held a bizarre proposition to have even remotely modern technology without some sort of primitive battery coming into existence.

Landline phones don't have batteries, do they?

And can't you plug a cell phone into a laptop computer, which in turn could be plugged into the wall outlet?

I once had a handheld CB radio that required 28 batteries.  I can't remember now if it took AA or AAA.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

You could, but what would be the point then of having anything beyond the landline phone?  Taking a cell phone and having to plug into outlets or daisy chained devices everywhere you go pretty much kills all the practicality it has over landlines. 

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on March 18, 2024, 02:00:20 PM

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 16, 2024, 07:59:56 AM

Landline phones don't have batteries, do they?

Cordless phones do in the part you pick up and hold to your ear (sometimes called the "handset").
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on March 18, 2024, 02:00:20 PM
And can't you plug a cell phone into a laptop computer, which in turn could be plugged into the wall outlet?

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 18, 2024, 02:06:02 PM
You could, but what would be the point then of having anything beyond the landline phone?  Taking a cell phone and having to plug into outlets or daisy chained devices everywhere you go pretty much kills all the practicality it has over landlines. 

The main point of them, yes.  That is to say, the reason they exist to begin with.

But a cell phone you have to keep plugged into the wall isn't a useless device.  For example, ...

At work, if the internet goes out, the field supervisor uses his cell phone as a hotspot, then piggy-backs his desktop computer to it and continues doing his job as usual.  This could be done with a cell phone completely dedicated to such use, without ever needing to be unplugged or even be used as a telephone.

At home, my wife keeps an old cell phone that may as well not have a battery, because it can't keep a charge at all.  We've left it with our son before, plugged into the wall, so he could use Facebook messenger to communicate with us while we were out.  Not only did it stay plugged into the wall, but it wasn't even part of any mobile plan at all anymore.  It got its signal via Wi-Fi from our router, which is hard-lined to our modem, which is hard-lined into the wall.

(For what it's worth, not all cell phone models will work if the battery is removed, even if it's plugged into the wall.  It just depends on the model.)
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ZLoth

Quote from: kphoger on March 18, 2024, 02:00:20 PMLandline phones don't have batteries, do they?

The power for the landline originates at the central office through the twisted pair. That power should be coming from public utility, but can also originate by generator if the utility power goes offline, and by battery (for several minutes) if the power goes out and the generator comes online.

Dirt Roads

Quote from: kphoger on March 18, 2024, 02:00:20 PMLandline phones don't have batteries, do they?

Quote from: ZLoth on March 19, 2024, 06:56:40 PMThe power for the landline originates at the central office through the twisted pair. That power should be coming from public utility, but can also originate by generator if the utility power goes offline, and by battery (for several minutes) if the power goes out and the generator comes online.

Indeed, and the ringer voltage is 110VDC.  Once-upon-a-time, railroads used Code Lines, an old-fashioned data technology that incorporated the same 110VDC circuitry in a relay-driven "stepper" technique using long and short pulses similar to Morse Code.  In the days before we had adjustable-voltage inverters, the battery backup for 110VDC required 55 lead acid batteries, or worse 91 NiCd batteries.  The plastic NiCd batteries took up less space than those monstrous PbSO4 glass blocks, but they did require more time to check/refill the battery levels.  And that only gave us about 12 hours of battery backup for the code line, certainly way more backup time than Ma Bell got out of the same arrangement in a telephonics control room.  (For the record, we railroaders also had our own proprietary telephone network that used the same kind of backup, but I worked on a district where Railway Signals and Telecomm were managed separately, so I never actually got to see their battery backups).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.