News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Two questions...

Started by Special K, June 18, 2012, 08:06:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Special K

Why the hate for Clearview Highway font?

Why the hard-on for cat eyes?

Alps

A lot of us just find Clearview ugly. It was a half-assed attempt to improve upon FHWA series, but in reality, they only tested it against Series E-Modified. A simple switch to Series E, or Georgia's Series D mixed-case, could have potentially solved all of their visibility problems without creating a new font. Clearview isn't even good in most applications - only positive-contrast letters. Finally, when you see Clearview, you know the sign's not old, and so I have no interest in it.

Cat eyes are a clear sign that the sign is old. Since so few signs are left that have them (or even the button copy reflectors in plastic), that makes them treasured items.

NE2

Maybe 50 years from now we'll be seeking out Clearview as rare signs from a failed experiment :)
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

on_wisconsin

Quote from: Special K on June 18, 2012, 08:06:23 PM
I have been wondering that since the first time I visited this site. Also may I add to your list: The extreme, sometimes overboard, nostalgia for a time when the majority of users on this forum were not even born yet or were very very young.
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

Takumi

Quote from: Steve on June 18, 2012, 08:33:49 PM
A lot of us just find Clearview ugly. It was a half-assed attempt to improve upon FHWA series, but in reality, they only tested it against Series E-Modified. A simple switch to Series E, or Georgia's Series D mixed-case, could have potentially solved all of their visibility problems without creating a new font. Clearview isn't even good in most applications - only positive-contrast letters. Finally, when you see Clearview, you know the sign's not old, and so I have no interest in it.

I'll also add that most DOT's do a poor job with it, which adds to the ugliness factor, and many of the signs that are replaced with Clearview, at least in my experience, had nothing wrong with them.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Brian556

I don't personally hate clearview. I think most of the signs with it in Texas look pretty good. The only issue that I have with it is that the lowercase "l" is taller than the uppercase letters.

I am not one of those who automatically dislikes anything new. I am okay with new ways of doing things, they make things more interesting. Imagine how boring the world would be if nothing ever changed.

on_wisconsin

Quote from: Brian556 on June 20, 2012, 09:36:45 PMI am not one of those who automatically dislikes anything new. I am okay with new ways of doing things, they make things more interesting. Imagine how boring the world would be if nothing ever changed.
+1
Amen to that amigo!  :coffee:
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

Scott5114

Why do coin collectors value old coins over newer ones?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

agentsteel53

Quote from: Brian556 on June 20, 2012, 09:36:45 PM

I am not one of those who automatically dislikes anything new. I am okay with new ways of doing things, they make things more interesting. Imagine how boring the world would be if nothing ever changed.

except that new things, in the realm of highway signage, tend towards conformity and plain old ugliness. 

your state, Texas, before 1969 had some of the most innovative signage in the country.  for example, the shields with arrows in them?  no one else was trying that!

after 1969, Texas has demonstrated alarmingly precise conformity to what the federal MUTCD prescribes - and the latest in federal signage practice has been garish.  the 1970 specification of route markers (they've been around for forty years now?  no wonder they're so common!) are by far the most aesthetically displeasing in the history of standardized route shields - especially the US route marker. 
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

bugo

Because it's ugly, and it's hard for my aging eyes to read at night.  I like for the uppercase letters to be much taller than the lowercase letters.

Post Merge: July 12, 2012, 11:18:49 AM

Quote from: NE2 on June 18, 2012, 09:26:25 PM
Maybe 50 years from now we'll be seeking out Clearview as rare signs from a failed experiment :)

We can only hope.

Post Merge: July 12, 2012, 11:18:52 AM

Quote from: on_wisconsin on June 18, 2012, 09:32:47 PM
I have been wondering that since the first time I visited this site. Also may I add to your list: The extreme, sometimes overboard, nostalgia for a time when the majority of users on this forum were not even born yet or were very very young.

What's wrong with liking old things?  Do you dislike truss bridges because they're old?  Old things are cool because 1) they're old and 2) because they don't make them that way anymore.

DUDE, STOP TRIPLE POSTING

hbelkins

I don't hate Clearview. It was different at first, when I saw pictures of it and when I saw it in the field for the first time, but I'm getting used to it. I also don't mind the "off-label" use of positive contrast Clearview. Now it jumps out at me only when it's used on a sign that replaces an older one, or when I see it somewhere that I'm not used to seeing it. I was used to seeing it in Kentucky, Michigan and Pennsylvania, but was surprised to see it in West Virginia. New installations (like the Natcher and Pennyrile Parkway extensions) don't even really faze me.

As for old signs, they have character. I'm old enough (50) to remember several cutouts that survived in Kentucky well into my life. At the time I remember wondering why those old relics were still in use. Now I remember their uniqueness. It's rare anymore to find any of the first-generation signs that replaced the cutouts, as reflective sheeting came into use in Kentucky in the mid to late 70s (along with those God-awful wide US and state route markers). Virginia used the "Maximum Safe Speed" legend on advisory speed signs. And then there were the Florida colored US markers.

A 1950s-era Kentucky cutout route marker wouldn't have much functionality and should be replaced for legibility reasons, but it'd sure be nice to find out out there somewhere.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

agentsteel53

jake@aaroads.com

hbelkins

I think that is still there, but I always considered that to be a special case. I will be back in Frankfort next week and will try to remember to go downtown and check it out.

Alps

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 12, 2012, 09:54:32 PM
this 60 is gone?

You're freaking kidding me. I've been into Frankfort once and just past it 5 days ago. Why am I only finding out about this now?

agentsteel53

wait, Steve, you did or did not see it?  your post is ambiguous.

jake@aaroads.com

hbelkins

http://www.millenniumhwy.net/oldsigns/ky/index.html

I took this picture in 1999:

It's posted on Bridge Street in downtown Frankfort near the old "Singing Bridge."

1995hoo

Quote from: bugo on July 12, 2012, 10:55:09 AM

Because it's ugly, and it's hard for my aging eyes to read at night.  I like for the uppercase letters to be much taller than the lowercase letters.

The text I've highlighted in boldface suggests that you should LOVE certain poorly-executed uses of Clearview, such as these monstrosities near the Pentagon:

It's funny, my eyes find Clearview easier to read, both at night and during the day. But I do agree with Steve that Georgia's modified Series D produces some good-looking signs, and it also fits the point others have made about being something different. (However, I can think of at least two signs near my house where Series D is mixed with other FHWA fonts and it winds up being ugly.)

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

mtantillo

Clearview, the way FHWA insists it be implemented, is a royal pain to implement.  They are very specific with wanting the lowercase loop height to be 84% of the uppercase letter height.  This requires some manual manipulation in the software that we typically use for designing signs, as the copyrighted proportion has a lowercase loop height of approximately 81.4% of the uppercase letter height when you just type out the legend in the software. 

DaBigE

Quote from: mtantillo on July 15, 2012, 02:30:06 PM
Clearview, the way FHWA insists it be implemented, is a royal pain to implement.  They are very specific with wanting the lowercase loop height to be 84% of the uppercase letter height.  This requires some manual manipulation in the software that we typically use for designing signs, as the copyrighted proportion has a lowercase loop height of approximately 81.4% of the uppercase letter height when you just type out the legend in the software.

If your numbers are correct, I wonder if the FHWA rules aren't just a typo/misplaced decimal. :hmmm:
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

6a

C'mon, son...they don't make 'em like this anymore

national highway 1

Wow, that's definitely an awesome sign. Was it meant to be used at night (night contrast)?
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

ctsignguy

Because, in many respects, cat-eyed signs are cooler than current stuff....especially at night!

And we like other old stuff you will hardly ever see on the roads any more.....

http://s166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/ctsignguy/<br /><br />Maintaining an interest in Fine Highway Signs since 1958....

Dr Frankenstein

Quote from: on_wisconsin on June 18, 2012, 09:32:47 PM

Because it's out of the ordinary (I mean, what we usually see nowadays), we weren't there to see it, and remnants of these times are getting rarer by the year. You can't just not react when you discover something rare.

Consequently, I'll usually have a positive reaction to old signage, especially because I live in Canada where signs don't last as long due to the rough weather.

I wasn't there when the OAQ (former freeway agency) existed, so finding remnants of that era is exciting, and even moreso when I find something near a road I travel a lot. I wasn't there when the highway renumbering occured in Québec, so I get excited when I find an old shield from before that (we even had a stop specifically for one of those during the Montreal road meet; unfortunately it has disappeared since.). And it's always fun looking at archive photos; especially of signage, in my case. Blue highway signs and triangular autoroute shields and km-posts are being taken down at a steady pace. It's memorabilia from before I could drive (or even talk, let alone breathe) and their increasing rarity makes me like these things even though most of that stuff is in a terrible shape nowadays (try reading the old km-posts or the blue freeway signage at night).

I tend to react differently depending to where I am. 20+ year old freeway signage is rare in Ontario, so I'll definitely shoot it even if it's not that old. I won't react all that much when I see button copy in, say, California or New York City. But then, there is the only button copy sign known to currently exist in Québec, which I discovered earlier this summer (but without my camera) and made a 6-hour roundtrip just to take a photo of it.

TL;DR: Cat eyes are getting rare, hence the excitement when finding them.

Regarding Clearview, most people hate it because they think it's ugly. I like it, and I even use it on some of my designs. No, I don't only like old stuff, I always want to go on the new stretches of road soon after they open. Sometimes even just for new signage (like the A-20 exit renumbering south of Montreal).

agentsteel53

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on September 05, 2012, 02:36:22 PM
I wasn't there when the highway renumbering occured in Québec, so I get excited when I find an old shield from before that (we even had a stop specifically for one of those during the Montreal road meet; unfortunately it has disappeared since.).

are there any known examples?  even the ones used as the backs of other signs?

QuoteBlue highway signs and triangular autoroute shields and km-posts are being taken down at a steady pace.
I know of several blue signs in Quebec, but only one triangle shield left. any others?

Quotethere is the only button copy sign known to currently exist in Québec, which I discovered earlier this summer (but without my camera) and made a 6-hour roundtrip just to take a photo of it.

is it that letter "U" being used as a divider marker?  or is there another one?

jake@aaroads.com

Dr Frankenstein

Quote from: agentsteel53 on September 05, 2012, 02:51:46 PM
Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on September 05, 2012, 02:36:22 PM
I wasn't there when the highway renumbering occured in Québec, so I get excited when I find an old shield from before that (we even had a stop specifically for one of those during the Montreal road meet; unfortunately it has disappeared since.).

are there any known examples?  even the ones used as the backs of other signs?
It was a good-condition Route 29 sign back on a 132 shield on Boulevard Pie-XII (secret 60990) in a JCT assembly that got taken down since it was on the direct path of the Hwy 530 exension.

QuoteBlue highway signs and triangular autoroute shields and km-posts are being taken down at a steady pace.
I know of several blue signs in Quebec, but only one triangle shield left. any others?
Two in LaSalle, one of which is the one you know. There used to be a red one in Magog on Hwy 141 as recently as August 2009 which prompted Steve to prepare a photo trip until I found it was replaced by a standard Hwy 10 shield.

Quotethere is the only button copy sign known to currently exist in Québec, which I discovered earlier this summer (but without my camera) and made a 6-hour roundtrip just to take a photo of it.

is it that letter "U" being used as a divider marker?  or is there another one?
Yes, on Rue Einstein in Québec, along Hwy 40, in front of the SAQ store. I'll post a photo when I get back home.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.