AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
 on: Today at 05:01:48 AM 
Started by Scott5114 - Last post by Truvelo
Accident (what a strange name) -> Tamaqua

on: Today at 04:12:08 AM 
Started by roadcrazed - Last post by sparker
It looks like efforts are about to begin to plan for trenching or tunneling I-345.

https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/commentary/2017/10/17/dallas-might-ready-bury-downtown-highway-time

My view is that it is critical to keep I-345 in place, and trenching/tunneling is probably the only way to keep it due to the increasingly anti-freeway Dallas City Council. By getting the wheels in motion for trenching/tunneling, it assures that the freeway will be retained, even if anti-freeway extremists like councilman Philip Kingston gain more power. (He could become mayor.)

With the massive freeway expansion plans around DFW, funds are already allocated all through the 2020s so we're probably looking at the 2030s for this project, unless some big new funding becomes available.

The tunnel/cut-&-cover concept seems to be the most workable from a regional standpoint.  While Mr. Kennedy and others may not be satisfied until mobility itself is vanquished, the simple fact is that I-345 is an integral part of the overall Dallas transportation network and needs to be preserved -- and the basic aims of urban connectivity can be achieved by trenching/tunneling the freeway, providing a "city commons" approach to the use of the "lid".  It's pretty much a "win/win" situation for all but those whose aim is to consign the driving public to a "loser" category.   Central Dallas wouldn't be much of an attraction without all those folks coming in from Plano, Frisco, and the other "burbs". 

on: Today at 04:01:50 AM 
Started by SteveG1988 - Last post by english si
Most 90s kids are too young to remember Torn - my '89-born brother had only just turned 8 when it came out.

Though, for 80s kids, those tweets are right.

on: Today at 03:52:29 AM 
Started by signalman - Last post by english si
You're better off eating plain peanut butter.
PB's extremely calorific - not just from the 20% carbs (with twice the sugar to starch), but the 50% fat too.

I'm not sure why calories from fat should be ignored and sugar be treated as the only evil (not least as Jaime 'fatty' Oliver's crusade against sugar in the UK hasn't improved anything and created other problems). PB is no better than jelly.

Plus, a PB&J doesn't have that much jelly (or PB) so the teaspoon of sugar from the fillings are fine - providing you aren't eating tons of sugar elsewhere: moderation is the key, as always.

on: Today at 03:41:22 AM 
Started by Bruce - Last post by sparker
On top of all the US cities pitching their stuff to Amazon, it seems, at least according to the news reports I've been listening to (primarily KCBS out of S.F.) 3 Canadian cities: Calgary, Hamilton, and Ottawa -- have been actively campaigning for "Amazon II" as well.   No front-runner among these as of yet -- although Hamilton, being close enough to Toronto to avail one's self of that city's amenities,  would seem to be the selection that would most fit Amazon's criteria. 

on: Today at 03:00:53 AM 
Started by LM117 - Last post by LM117
Part of the Goldsboro Bypass has been named the John H. Kerr III Highway.

http://www.newsargus.com/news/archives/2017/10/18/governor_to_attend_naming_ceremony/

A ceremony dedicating a section of the U.S. 70 Goldsboro Bypass as the John H. Kerr III Highway will be held at 11 a.m. Friday, Nov. 3.

Gov. Roy Cooper is expected to attend the ceremony to be held in Courtroom No. 1 in the Wayne County Courthouse.

Kerr's sons, John H. Kerr IV and James Y. Kerr II, will speak.

Wayne County Commissioner Wayne Aycock will speak on behalf of the county.

The 5-mile section of bypass to be dedicated in memory of Kerr stretches from the highway's interchange with Interstate 795 to U.S. 13.

The ceremony was announced Tuesday morning during the commissioners' meeting.

The late Kerr, one of the most powerful members of the state General Assembly, championed improvements to state infrastructure including the bypass and the I-795 designation for a four-lane U.S. 117 between Goldsboro and Wilson.

Gus Tulloss of Rocky Mount, who represents District Four on the state Board of Transportation, made the motion in June to name the section in memory of Kerr.

The DOT Board unanimously approved the motion.

Born in Warrenton, Kerr was a graduate of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, where he was a member of Phi Beta Kappa, president of the junior class, treasurer of the student body and president of the Order of the Grail.

After receiving his bachelor's degree, Kerr attended the University of North Carolina Law School, receiving a law degree with honors in 1961.

He was first elected to the state House of Representatives in 1986, serving three terms before being elected to the state Senate, where he served from 1992 until 2008.

In their resolution to the state seeking the designation, commissioners praised Kerr for his dedication on focusing attention on the need to bolster eastern North Carolina's infrastructure -- including the need for improvements for water, sewer, natural gas and roads.

The resolution added that Kerr dedicated his life to his family, Madison Avenue Baptist Church, numerous boards, civic organizations -- causes that touched the lives of the people and communities in North Carolina and especially in eastern North Carolina.

Kerr received the Order of the Long Leaf Pine, the state's highest civilian honor, and a plaque of appreciation from the N.C. Rural Economic Development Center for his leadership in providing financial assistance on water and sewer projects for struggling communities across the state.

on: Today at 01:55:48 AM 
Started by theroadwayone - Last post by jp the roadgeek
I would think that there might need to be some spot signage replacement south of Hartford on I-91 to become MUTCD compliant.   Exit 23 (CT 3/West St/Rocky Hill) is not compliant because the exit is in Rocky Hill.  There is also some old Phase III signage between Exits 16-22, and a couple of non-compliant left exit signs for Exit 13 northbound, but all of the highway from I-95 to the MA border has MUTCD compliant mileposts.  The Exit 30-39A project on I-84 is underway, as I've seen some of the cement pilings have been poured for the new ground mounted signage that are part of the project.  There is one inconsistency in the project of MUTCD compliancy: the eastbound signage for CT 372 (CT 372/Crooked St/Plainville) will be replaced to exclude Plainville, but the westbound exit to CT 372 on CT 72 (CT 372/New Britain Ave/Plainville) did not omit Plainville in the contract despite being in Plainville. Mileposts on I-84 have only been updated to NUTCD posts in Fairfield County, while there is some older style 2/10's mileposts between Southbury and CT 8.  East of there, milepost markings are few and far between up to the MA border.  Not sure if ConnDOT would wait until an option for replacing the Hartford viaduct is chosen before converting; options other than lowering it to grade level would add or reduce mileage.

on: Today at 01:38:29 AM 
Started by andy3175 - Last post by NE2
Does anyone know why there is only one constructed SR-x00 in California? (SR-100 is unconstructed.) Other states seem to have many hundred-multiple routes…
Continuous numbers only go into the high 200s. 1/2 is statistically insignificant.

on: Today at 01:31:55 AM 
Started by nengleman - Last post by mrose
Since the express lanes opened on I-25 north, things are improved from US 36 through to 104th..... it still gets heavy but rarely does it completely stop like it used to.

Southbound is still a mess but they are still working on the area from 144th down to 120th; the on-ramp at 120th is a disaster as well as some terrible wheel-swallowing ruts on I-25 right through that point. When the express lanes are done up to 144th it should be smooth.

The bigger issues in north Denver these days is all the arterial construction going on in Westminster....Sheridan, 104th, 92nd around the old mall, etc..

on: Today at 12:48:19 AM 
Started by jakeroot - Last post by jakeroot
I grew up learning how to drive on the Gulf Coast in Mississippi, where there are apparently still at least three intersections with dual permissive lefts (which are at (1) Popps Ferry Rd and Cedar Lake Blvd in Biloxi, (2) MS 605 (Cowan Rd) and Pass Rd in Gulfport, and (3) WB Rodriguez St to SB I-110 in D'Iberville (see lane markings)).

Just an update. All three of the intersections you posted have been updated. Intersections one and two have been changed to protected only, whereas the third now has mast-arms with new signals (still doghouses for the double left, thank God).

In the first example, they widened Popps Ferry Road and changed the signal phasing. They could have easily aligned the WB left turn so that it was offset to the left (improving visibility for EB turning traffic). But, I guess they decided protected was good enough! Oh well.

Since then, I think the only other place I've seen them is Duluth, Minnesota, but since Minnesota is the place I think I've seen the most FYAs outside of Oregon and Washington, there are probably more lurking about.

Do you remember where this was? I've was looking at a map of Duluth, when I remembered this post. But I cannot find any dual permissive lefts in Duluth. I have seen quite a few dual FYA displays elsewhere in Minnesota IRL, but they all ran protected-only. Not sure what MnDOT policy is nowadays.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.