News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

First Snow 2013

Started by ZLoth, September 25, 2013, 11:09:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZLoth

Heh.... I was on a road trip today with my mother along California State Route 49.... and what do you know.... I have SNOW! This was east of Sierra City.

First snow along CA-49 (1st Photo)
First snow along CA-49 (2nd Photo)

I'm just a little surprised, since I don't expect snow until mid-October at the earliest. Color me surprised.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

corco

We're supposed to get snow overnight here in Deer Lodge....I'm pretty excited about this!

froggie

Not common, but not unheard of either.  Even in both Minneapolis and far northern New England, we've been known to get snow in late September.

Brandon

Quote from: froggie on September 26, 2013, 03:37:02 AM
Not common, but not unheard of either.  Even in both Minneapolis and far northern New England, we've been known to get snow in late September.

Same thing in northern Wisconsin and Upper Michigan.  I've seen snow in the Keweenaw Peninsula as early as mid-late September.  Of course, that season lasted until mid-May.  :-D
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Dougtone

Quote from: froggie on September 26, 2013, 03:37:02 AM

Or Memorial Day weekend, as was the case this year, at least in northern New England as well as the Adirondacks.

SteveG1988

Wasn't the first snow of 2013 back in January 2013?

Sorry, just had to post a dumbass comment to start.

Predictions for the mid atlantic: No snow til maybe late Dec
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

sammi

Hmm.. Ironically, this part of Canada hasn't snowed yet. :confused:

ET21

Early snow for the Rockies. Sucks for Colorado because of the already swollen creeks and rivers from the 3 feet of rain they received.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Thing 342

Quote from: SteveG1988 on September 29, 2013, 03:19:27 PM
Wasn't the first snow of 2013 back in January 2013?

Sorry, just had to post a dumbass comment to start.

Predictions for the mid atlantic: No snow til maybe late Dec

I dunno. Generally when there is a lack of hurricane activity, the Hampton Roads area tends to get a lot of snow. 2006 and 2009 were particularly bad years.

on_wisconsin

The central Dakotas could be in for an early snowstorm this weekend:

Paul Douglas weather blog

"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

JMoses24

We had up to 1" of snow in Cincinnati last Monday. Then we had severe thunderstorms yesterday and close to 70 degrees. Go figure.

Dr Frankenstein

I'm seeing something pretty big for the end of this week in Québec, possibly up to 20 cm (8") in the Laurentians.

SSOWorld

First snow of 2013? I happened upon some that was on the ground in Iowa on the way to home from California ;)
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

hotdogPi

Today, 9:00 PM EST.

Northeast Massachusetts
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

empirestate

Second for NYC today; first was a few brief flakes in the wee hours a week or so ago.

iPhone

Alps

First I've seen this season was a light flurry 3 hours ago in central NJ. It stuck up here in north J

signalman

Quote from: Steve on November 23, 2013, 11:57:03 PM
First I've seen this season was a light flurry 3 hours ago in central NJ. It stuck up here in north J
It snowed one pre-dawn morning in north Jersey while you were away...stuck to the cars and grass, then melted later in the morning.  Same as last night's dusting.

Thing 342

We had a few flurries a week or so ago, and you would have thought it was the apocalypse based on the way the news stations covered it.

Zeffy

Quote from: Steve on November 23, 2013, 11:57:03 PM

Where in Central NJ? I didn't see any over here in Hillsborough. I only heard the wind pound my window.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Dr Frankenstein

Well last week's snow fell down as rain instead here. There's been light flurries for the past few days, but no accumulation. This week's forecast predicts another good fall, but no one seems to agree on whether it's going to be rain or snow.

ET21

Finally, the first snow above one inch  :no:

Least it helps the holiday spirit
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

1995hoo

Ugh, the snow here was wet and the freezing rain is making it worse. Damn heavy stuff to shovel.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

PHLBOS

The Philly area got unexpectedly hit with 6" to 8" this past Sunday afternoon.  Such made for a rather interesting football game over at the Linc. (Eagles vs. Lions).  Only one field goal attempt (which was very unsuccessful) was made due to the field conditions.  It was probably the only time one saw so many 4th down, 2-point conversion attempts in one game.

Final score: Eagles 34/Lions 20.

The storm also caused a 50-car chain reaction pile-up along the PA Turnpike (I-76) westbound between the Downingtown (PA 100) and Morgantown (I-176/PA 10/23) interchanges that included one death.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Zeffy

The recent snowstorm hit South Jersey hard, causing lots of delays along heavy traffic roadways like the New Jersey Turnpike as well as numerous vehicular accidents across the state due to the poor conditions on the road. Where I live, we only saw a light coating on the roads, whereas in counties such as Camden / Gloucester and the others in the southern half of New Jersey got up to 3/4 of a foot of snow.

Quote from: PHLBOS on December 09, 2013, 11:55:45 AM
The Philly area got unexpectedly hit with 6" to 8" this past Sunday afternoon.  Such made for a rather interesting football game over at the Linc. (Eagles vs. Lions).  Only one field goal attempt (which was very unsuccessful) was made due to the field conditions.  It was probably the only time one saw so many 4th down, 2-point conversion attempts in one game.

The 2nd half of that game was an amazing display by the Eagles. I love that we're as hot as we are right now, and hope we can keep it going as we enter the last few games of the NFL season.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on December 09, 2013, 11:55:45 AM

I was supposed to be at that game, and would have loved to experience it (well, the 2nd half anyway). Instead, I worked the plows for NJDOT, plowing the snow only miles away from the game.  It definitely hit unexpectedly hard.

Always enjoy the day-after "pre-storm" forecasts.  By far, most of them say an inch of snow late in the afternoon, then changing to rain.  Today, most news stories mysteriously have upped what was originally predicted to 2" - 4", and all but eliminated the starting time of the storm (3 or 4pm, not 11am to noon).  My wife was watching the weather channel, and even after there was several inches on the ground, the local forecast kept saying 1"!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.