News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Highways in cartoon episodes

Started by roadman, October 21, 2013, 07:10:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman

Reading the Highways in Movies thread got me to thinking about cartoon episodes that featured a highway-related theme.

While there have been some cartoon series (pre 1960s Road Runner shorts, 1960s Wacky Races, and 1970s Speed Racer among them) that used roads and highways as their setting in every episode, I'm thinking more of specific episodes of cartoons.

Some examples that immediately come to mind:

No Parking Hare (Bugs Bunny)
Snuffy Hits the Road (Snuffy Smith)
These cartoons deal with the issue of highway construction disrupting Bugs' and Snuffy's property.

Baffled Bear (Yogi Bear)
This cartoon has Yogi stranded in the middle of a highway interchange that was constructed while he was in hibernation.

Freeway Patrol (Huckleberry Hound)
This cartoon features Huck as a bumbling highway patrol officer.

"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Stephane Dumas

Disney's Motor Mania with Goofy predicted the "road rage"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZAZ_xu0DCg
and who didn't saw "Freewayphobia" during driving lessons?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjZR7sWMSAo

And speaking of driving lessons, there was jokes about women driving a car and today no studio wouldn't produce a cartoon of that kind like Popeye did http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udu_EdD5apE that cartoon got a color remake titled "Car-Azy Drivers" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IobnxIhunf0

The anime "You're Under Arrest" was a sort of Japanese counterpart to CHiP's.

triplemultiplex

Commencing on-topic Simpsons references...

Who could forget Springfield's "Matlock Expressway"?

Or Ye Olde Offramp Inn?

Some sign humor from a John Swartzwelder episode:
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

roadman

I don't remember the Popeye cartoons mentioned here, but I do recall "Bridge Ahoy", where Popeye, Olive, and Wimpy decided to build a bridge to compete with Bluto's ferry.

Never really got into Disney cartoons growing up, as I found Warner Brothers' and Jay Ward's characters to be much funnier.  And the driving school I attended (summer 1978) chose not to show us "Freewayphobia."  For that matter, they chose not to show us "Death on the Highway" either, substituting a far tamer Ohio State Patrol safety film titled "Signal 30" instead.

And I'd forgotten about "Ye Olde Off-Ramp Inn" (now 97% rat free).
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

roadman

Quote from: triplemultiplex on October 21, 2013, 07:43:26 PM
Some sign humor from a John Swartzwelder episode:

Are you sure that a sign like this isn't posted somewhere in the middle of the I-95/I-93 Randolph (MA) to Wellesley (MA) "add-a-lane" project, which MassDPW first announced when I entered junior high school in 1974.

Duke87

In The Rugrats Movie, the truck the babies are in is said to have crashed "off of I-99". In one shot a narrow windy mountain road with an I-99 shield is visible.

The movie came out about a year before the first actual I-99 signs went up, so they probably chose it as an intentionally fake number. Little did they know...
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

wxfree

In the South Park episode about people from the future traveling back in time to the present and taking people's jobs, the point where the "goobacks" came through was near I-285 (a sign was shown), which I believe was a two-lane highway.  Since it's set in Colorado, I assume it's meant to refer to US 285.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

english si

^^ US285 runs through South Park

Henry

Quote from: english si on October 22, 2013, 06:33:55 AM
^^ US285 runs through South Park

And let's not forget the I-570 that was featured in a fictional script for the show:

http://www.kurumi.com/roads/southpark.html
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Molandfreak

Quote from: wxfree on October 21, 2013, 11:51:32 PM
In the South Park episode about people from the future traveling back in time to the present and taking people's jobs, the point where the "goobacks" came through was near I-285 (a sign was shown), which I believe was a two-lane highway.  Since it's set in Colorado, I assume it's meant to refer to US 285.
I think this also exists in the episode where Cartman and Kyle go to Los Angeles on their big wheels, but in this episode I-285 is actually a freeway.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

triplemultiplex

285 was shown as a divided highway in the South Park 7th season episode "Goobacks", but with an interstate shield, just to clarify.  They later had a family of future Americans sprinting across the entire highway.

The big wheel chase with Kyle and Fatass was from "Cartoon Wars part 1" in season 10.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

english si

when they cycle their big wheels, I'm pretty sure that 'I-285' isn't a freeway, and there's a cut before showing them on the freeway.

jp the roadgeek

Not necessarily a highway, but the road where the Wacky Arm Inflatable Emporium is in Family Guy is a little bit of a stretch.  In the cartoon, it's on Route 2 in Weekapaug.  Route 2 is a noted retail strip, especially through the southern edge of Cranston and Warwick.  Weekapaug does exist, but it's a district in the easternmost part of the town of Westerly.  RI 2 does come close to there, but it ends at US 1 in the town of Charlestown about 5 miles east of where Weekapaug is.  Of course, Weekapaug is pretty significant for Phish fans too.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

english si

ilvny

Route 66 in Disney/Pixar's Cars.  Route 66 was also in the Grand Canyon episode of Rugrats.

hubcity

The is more of an oblique reference, but the "Musta taken a wrong turn at Albuquerque" gag had its routes in the relatively frequent realignment of Route 66 through that town.  There was a single intersection that, depending on when you got there, would send you left, right, or straight to continue on Route 66, and if you followed your map and not the signs, you were likely to end up Lord-knows-where.

(Note that the last assertion is apocryphal; anyone got the facts on that one?)

PHLBOS

I couldn't find a video of it on YouTube but Bill Cosby's infamous Chcken Heart story skit in the 70s cartoon, Fat Albert & the Cosby Kids makes reference to & shows it (the Chcken Heart) eating up the New Jersey Turnpike.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Dr Frankenstein

Quote from: ilvny on October 27, 2013, 06:56:39 PM
Route 66 in Disney/Pixar's Cars.  Route 66 was also in the Grand Canyon episode of Rugrats.
There is some speculation on fan sites that there's a third installment in the works that will feature old U.S. 99.

english si

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on October 28, 2013, 04:35:26 PMThere is some speculation on fan sites that there's a third installment in the works that will feature old U.S. 99.
Wasn't Planes the third one?

You mean the franchise reboot (like Spiderman): after a mediocre first film and two dire sequels, but a thriving toy market - they need to keep selling toys but regain the Pixar name tarnished by McQueen and his buddies...

roadman

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 28, 2013, 04:32:04 PM
I couldn't find a video of it on YouTube but Bill Cosby's infamous Chcken Heart story skit in the 70s cartoon, Fat Albert & the Cosby Kids makes reference to & shows it (the Chcken Heart) eating up the New Jersey Turnpike.
The original audio skit (from the album Wonderfulness) is IMO far funnier than the cartoon version was - I still listen to it every Halloween night - and yes, with the lights off.

roadman

Quote from: hubcity on October 27, 2013, 08:26:02 PM
The is more of an oblique reference, but the "Musta taken a wrong turn at Albuquerque" gag had its routes in the relatively frequent realignment of Route 66 through that town.  There was a single intersection that, depending on when you got there, would send you left, right, or straight to continue on Route 66, and if you followed your map and not the signs, you were likely to end up Lord-knows-where.

(Note that the last assertion is apocryphal; anyone got the facts on that one?)
It's actually "I knew I shoulda taken that left turn at Albuquerque" - one of Bugs Bunny's most famous lines.

US81

Quote from: english si on October 28, 2013, 05:07:34 PM
Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on October 28, 2013, 04:35:26 PMThere is some speculation on fan sites that there's a third installment in the works that will feature old U.S. 99.
Wasn't Planes the third one?

You mean the franchise reboot (like Spiderman): after a mediocre first film and two dire sequels, but a thriving toy market - they need to keep selling toys but regain the Pixar name tarnished by McQueen and his buddies...

I thought "Planes" was considered more of a 'spin-off.'

NE2

Apparently Planes was more of a 'fuck-off'.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Dr Frankenstein

"Planes"  was a spin-off by Disney in which Pixar was not involved.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.