Large spinning ice circle in North Dakota

Started by Alps, November 26, 2013, 05:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Dr Frankenstein

I remember watching a short documentary about this phenomenon. They're still researching it.

mgk920

I recall seeing a spinning ice disk on the Wolf River in northern Wisconsin (just upstream from the Menominee Indian Reservation) while out winter camping with the Boy Scout troop back when I was in high school.  Unfortunately, nobody brought a movie camera along for that weekend.

Mike

Alps

Quote from: Dr Frankenstein on November 26, 2013, 10:44:19 PM
I remember watching a short documentary about this phenomenon. They're still researching it.
Seems fairly straightforward - it's a natural eddy in the river, ice gathers on the surface due to cold, dense air freezing the water, and the ice gets sucked into the eddy. When the air gets colder, the "ice cubes" (per the article) freeze together into a disk, but the underlying eddy keeps moving, so it never freezes to the ice around it. (Or it does, but then the warmer air the next day melts the fringe and it breaks away to float freely again.)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.