News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

You Know You're A Roadgeek If...

Started by Michael, June 09, 2009, 04:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Otto Yamamoto

In the aughts, I worked for medical delivery company, in Upstate NY  and I was asked constantly for directions. In 2008, I was riding with Doug Kerr to Billy Riddle's wedding in TN; we were on Interstate 80 heading to Akron, and I got a call on my mobile,  our respiratory therapist was asking for directions. I honestly don't miss that...

STV100-2

yakra

...if you pull an old Thai restaurant menu out of a copy of the Illuminatus! Trilogy, and are about to toss it in the bin when you notice the map on the front page, a Google screenshot, uses an OLD visual style they haven't used since like 2010 or something, and then when pausing to dig on it a bit, you see that at some point you colored in the US1 shields on the old surface route through town, and scribbled in a tiny US1A shield next to the Fore River Parkway.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

yakra

...you discover that route 915 is and is not in the ROAD_INVENTORY_AHTD shapefiles.
"Officer, I'm always careful to drive the speed limit no matter where I am and that's what I was doin'." Said "No, you weren't," she said, "Yes, I was." He said, "Madam, I just clocked you at 22 MPH," and she said "That's the speed limit," he said "No ma'am, that's the route numbah!"  - Gary Crocker

kphoger

Quote from: yakra on August 07, 2017, 02:39:53 AM
...if you pull an old Thai restaurant menu out of a copy of the Illuminatus! Trilogy, and are about to toss it in the bin when you notice the map on the front page, a Google screenshot, uses an OLD visual style they haven't used since like 2010 or something, and then when pausing to dig on it a bit, you see that at some point you colored in the US1 shields on the old surface route through town, and scribbled in a tiny US1A shield next to the Fore River Parkway.

Hmmm, that's never happened to me.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

index

1. You have a dream about eating the US 301 Harry W. Nice bridge.

I have no idea how my brain came up with that dream. It was an incredibly odd one, to state the obvious.

2. You have bored your friends to death on multiple occasions talking about bridges, types of them, and how they work, because you, yourself are bored, and need somebody to talk to. You have also bored your already bored friends to death on field trips pointing out MUTCD violations.
I love my 2010 Ford Explorer.

Counties traveled

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: index on October 13, 2017, 10:22:54 AM

I have no idea how my brain came up with that dream. It was an incredibly odd one, to state the obvious.

2. You have bored your friends to death on multiple occasions talking about bridges, types of them, and how they work, because you, yourself are bored, and need somebody to talk to. You have also bored your already bored friends to death on field trips pointing out MUTCD violations.
How do you eat a bridge?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

roadman

"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Brandon

Quote from: roadman on October 13, 2017, 02:05:30 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on October 13, 2017, 01:30:29 PM
How do you eat a bridge?
In very small sections, obviously.

He ate it one piece at a time.
/while humming "One Piece At A Time" by Johnny Cash.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Roadgeekteen

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kphoger

If only Michel Lotito were still alive, he might take you up on the challenge.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kkt

How do you eat a bridge?

With a fork and a very sharp knife.

kphoger

You know you're a roadgeek if remembering a series of numbers is easier when you picture them as route shields.
Male pronouns, please.

thenetwork

Quote from: ParrDa on October 13, 2017, 05:36:25 PM
Quote from: kphoger on October 13, 2017, 05:25:58 PM
You know you're a roadgeek if remembering a series of numbers is easier when you picture them as route shields.

I've never done that. I'll have to start though, I can tell it will work  :D

I do it with phone numbers all the time. 

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kkt on October 13, 2017, 05:05:51 PM

How do you eat a bridge?

With a fork and a very sharp knife.
You a giant?

pumpkineater2

Your phone passcode is the series of routes you would take to get to a particular destination,
Your Instagram account is mostly filled with pictures of highways,
You are grateful to live right next to a freeway, rather than considering it an annoyance.
Come ride with me to the distant shore...

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: pumpkineater2 on October 14, 2017, 06:47:53 PM
Your phone passcode is the series of routes you would take to get to a particular destination,
Your Instagram account is mostly filled with pictures of highways,
You are grateful to live right next to a freeway, rather than considering it an annoyance.
What is that destination? :bigass:

21stCenturyRoad

You memorize your student ID with an I-x76, a natural number, and an exit number along I-95
  :)
The truth is the truth even if no one believes it, and a lie is a lie even if everyone believes it.

yakra

Quote from: yakra on October 10, 2017, 03:38:22 PM
...you discover that route 915 is and is not in the ROAD_INVENTORY_AHTD shapefiles.
Curiosity got the better of me, and I checked things out in a hex editor.
There are two records in the .DBF file where ROUTE = 00915.
Looking up these records in the main .SHP file, they both contain zero points.  :pan:

Hurricane Rex

Sorry if this is repeated, I'm still new to posting.

You know you're a roadgeek if your free time is spent "driving" in  google earth street view on roads you haven't (or can't) driven on yet.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on December 04, 2017, 12:26:20 PM
Sorry if this is repeated, I'm still new to posting.

You know you're a roadgeek if your free time is spent "driving" in  google earth street view on roads you haven't (or can't) driven on yet.
I do that but I wish there was an option to go at driving speed.

jp the roadgeek

Don't know if I used this one, but....

You know you're a roadgeek if you're out of town, and if someone stops to ask you for directions, you give them out better and more accurately than a local.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

formulanone

When you hear There's No Place Like Home For The Holidays, you assume that man from Tennessee is taking I-81 (or maybe US 11) to Pennsylvania for some homemade pumpkin pie.

Max Rockatansky

You send your significant other vintage pictures of US 99 in Grapevine Canyon just to prove that it is the "Ridge Route"  and not "The Grapevine"  as so many people tend to say these days. 

Henry

Quote from: formulanone on December 04, 2017, 08:05:36 PM
When you hear There's No Place Like Home For The Holidays, you assume that man from Tennessee is taking I-81 (or maybe US 11) to Pennsylvania for some homemade pumpkin pie.
Yes, and you imagine that everyone from PA is taking I-95/US 1 to Dixie's sunny shores (presumably somewhere in FL), and the traffic is terrific on all the transcontinental highways (I-10, I-40, I-80, I-90, US 6, US 20, US 30, US 50, etc.).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Desert Man

I'm a "geek" for anime, esp. this Kimagure Orange Road reminds me of the half-mile long West Orange Road in Santa Ana, CA. Btw, the raven-haired beauty looks much like my wife (and also my mother, sorta resembles Motoko from Ghost in the Shell) and I know other anime girls like her: Rei from Sailor Moon, Kagome from Inuyasha, and another one from Maison Ikkoku.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTOZhZSr6RY
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.