News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Route vs. Highway vs. Other

Started by AsphaltPlanet, January 26, 2014, 07:13:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bzakharin

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 30, 2014, 01:12:31 PM
Quote from: bzakharin on January 29, 2014, 01:41:17 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 29, 2014, 10:16:21 AM
If they simply say 'Expressway', they are probably talking about issues on Route 42 ("42 is slow from the Expressway to 295", for example)
...And who nicknamed the 42 freeway and why that name stuck (as opposed to the 42 highway or expressway or whatever).

It may be a shorter name than it's true nickname: The North-South Freeway, which is now replaced with 42 Freeway.  That name has gotten lost over time though.  A few of the reporters that have been in the area a long time will refer to it as that on occasion.  The AC Expressway even has a sign for it, although they abbreviated North-South ("Philadelphia via N.S. Freeway (up arrow)").

I-76 in NJ is also known as Route 42, so the traffic reports will say something like "42 Freeway slow from the base of the Walt Whitman to 55", or even "The 42 Freeway is slow from midspan of the Walt Whitman to 295", even though the entire length of the congested roadway is I-76 territory.
I do know about the existence of the North-South Freeway, but never thought that the 42 Freeway name had anything to do with that. Alsom, at least according to Google Maps, the designation continues north onto 676, but the traffic reports treat 76, not 676 as the continuation of 42.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: bzakharin on January 30, 2014, 02:02:45 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 30, 2014, 01:12:31 PM
Quote from: bzakharin on January 29, 2014, 01:41:17 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 29, 2014, 10:16:21 AM
If they simply say 'Expressway', they are probably talking about issues on Route 42 ("42 is slow from the Expressway to 295", for example)
...And who nicknamed the 42 freeway and why that name stuck (as opposed to the 42 highway or expressway or whatever).

It may be a shorter name than it's true nickname: The North-South Freeway, which is now replaced with 42 Freeway.  That name has gotten lost over time though.  A few of the reporters that have been in the area a long time will refer to it as that on occasion.  The AC Expressway even has a sign for it, although they abbreviated North-South ("Philadelphia via N.S. Freeway (up arrow)").

I-76 in NJ is also known as Route 42, so the traffic reports will say something like "42 Freeway slow from the base of the Walt Whitman to 55", or even "The 42 Freeway is slow from midspan of the Walt Whitman to 295", even though the entire length of the congested roadway is I-76 territory.
I do know about the existence of the North-South Freeway, but never thought that the 42 Freeway name had anything to do with that. Alsom, at least according to Google Maps, the designation continues north onto 676, but the traffic reports treat 76, not 676 as the continuation of 42.

Yep - 676 is always referred to as 676.  If 676 is congested, it'll be reported as 676 slows into 42.  Going North (West), the reports almost always say 42 is congested North to the Walt Whitman Bridge, but that rarely if ever mention 676, unless there's a specific incident on 676.

Henry

Quote from: US81 on January 27, 2014, 12:36:23 PM
I hear different things in different parts of Texas, but in general I agree with wxfree: A "route" is only how you navigate to your destination.

Interstates are usually "I-xx", occasionally "Interstate xx" or just "the interstate" but seldom if ever, "highway" unless a US or state highway existed prior which became multiplexed with the Interstate. Thus, I-30/20 west from Ft. Worth is still sometimes referred to as "the Weatherford highway" because of its prior existence as US 80-180.
I think you left out the fact that "IH-xx" is also used there.

Quote from: PColumbus73 on January 28, 2014, 06:01:06 PM
In SC, US and state routes are referred to at highways. I prefer calling them routes like in Ohio, so I have to train myself that it is Route 17, not Highway 17.
GA is sort of a mixed bag. For many years, US and state routes were always referred to as "Highway", but most recently (at least in the Atlanta metro area), they've begun to get the "Route" treatment; a prime example is "State Route 400" that links downtown to the northern suburbs. I imagine that "Route" and "Highway" are used interchangeably nowadays. Same with FL, but with its state routes being referred to as "State Road".
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

briantroutman

Quote from: Henry on January 30, 2014, 02:41:18 PM

I've seen "IH"  on signs and in print within Texas (and it drives me up a wall), but does anyone actually say "eye aitch"  or even "Interstate highway"  in everyday speech?

empirestate

Quote from: bing101 on January 28, 2014, 02:54:45 PM
Quote from: empirestate on January 27, 2014, 11:06:40 PM
A lot of the old guidebooks, WPA and the like, referred to state routes simply as "State xx". I wonder if that was actually common practice at the time (1920s-30s), or just a generic format they used across all states?

I know in Santa Clara, CA County routes are never referred to by Route number like Santa Clara County Route GX,
They are known by their expressway name Such as Capitol Expressway, Montague, Oregon, San Tomas, Foothill, Central, Almaden. But some parts of the country may call this County Route XX.

The parallel, though, would be "County XX", without the word "route" (and without specifying which county).

To return to a state highway, and keeping the example within California, it would be as if the Corona Freeway were called not "The 91" but "State 91". Not "State Route 91", or "California 91", just "State 91".

Of course, as far as I know that was never typical practice in California, but was in any other state back in the early 20th century?

wxfree

Quote from: briantroutman on January 30, 2014, 02:47:47 PM

I've seen "IH"  on signs and in print within Texas (and it drives me up a wall), but does anyone actually say "eye aitch"  or even "Interstate highway"  in everyday speech?

Not that I've ever heard.  My guess is that it has to do with TxDOT's preference for two-letter abbreviations.  Everything from "Park Road" (PR) to "Off Farm or Ranch to Market Road Business Route" (BF) has a two-letter abbreviation.  It may have something to do with the computer system.  All highways have six-digit designations in the computer, two letters and four numbers.  I-10 is "IH0010."
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

agentsteel53

Quote from: empirestate on January 27, 2014, 11:06:40 PM
A lot of the old guidebooks, WPA and the like, referred to state routes simply as "State xx". I wonder if that was actually common practice at the time (1920s-30s), or just a generic format they used across all states?

yep.

I've even seen signs that use the format.  I've got somewhere a photo of a 1954 CA guide sign with "JUNCTION STATE 190" spelled out.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

US81

I hear different things in different parts of Texas, but in general I agree with wxfree: A "route" is only how you navigate to your destination.

Interstates are usually "I-xx", occasionally "Interstate xx" or just "the interstate" but seldom if ever, "highway" unless a US or state highway existed prior which became multiplexed with the Interstate. Thus, I-30/20 west from Ft. Worth is still sometimes referred to as "the Weatherford highway" because of its prior existence as US 80-180.

The signage is thus, but I have never - ever - heard anyone say "I-H" anything. It is possible that some may say "Interstate Highway" but I can only recall a rare "Interstate Freeway" reference. I believe the OP referred to usage in everyday parlance.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

Quote from: bing101 on January 31, 2014, 11:38:27 AM
Quote from: US81 on January 31, 2014, 10:42:06 AM

The signage is thus, but I have never - ever - heard anyone say "I-H" anything. It is possible that some may say "Interstate Highway" but I can only recall a rare "Interstate Freeway" reference. I believe the OP referred to usage in everyday parlance.

I-H? Isn't that Oahu I know some Hawaii Residents will refer Interstates as I-H1 or H1 Freeway in their references.

No offense, but did you read the entire set of comments you quoted? They're not talking about Hawaii, they're talking about a peculiar terminology used by some people in Texas.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

TheHighwayMan3561

Since this thread got rebooted...

MN residents typically call non-Interstates "Highway X" . Interstates are either "I-X"  or often just plain "X" .
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

bing101

Quote from: briantroutman on January 26, 2014, 08:47:16 PM
PA
With the exception of roads that have an alternate name (Northeast Extension, Parkway East, Blue Route, Turnpike) nearly everything is "Route XX" –sometimes even Interstates. Some people will say "I"   or "Interstate"  for Interstates, but I've probably heard "Route 80"  nearly as often. Using the number only is occasional, although that is more common for concurrencies, like 11/15 or 22/322 . Except roadgeeks, you never hear "US" , "PA" , or "SR" . And just about never "Highway XX" .

CA
Southern–Almost everything is "The XX"  or the name of the road if it has one. I don't think I've ever heard anyone in Southern California say "Route XX"  or "Interstate XX" , ever. I've heard "Highway XX"  used a few times, usually in connection with a US or CA route in a rural area.

Bay Area–Usually just the number itself ("take 101 south to 280..." ). In my experience, most freeway names are not used; the occasional exception to this would be I-880 ("The Nimitz" , although "880"  is common, too), as well as bridges and tunnels, and certain features (like the "MacArthur Maze" ).

I did have a co-worker (a native Californian who grew up in LA and has resided in the Bay Area for decades) once say that someone couldn't make a meeting because he was "stuck in traffic on I-4" , which prompted me to ask "He's in Orlando?"  But then I found out he meant CA 4 near Pittsburg. I have no idea where he came up with that–I'll have to assume it was a fluke.

Well sometimes some Bay Area residents will refer to freeways as Highway like Highway 101 Bayshore Freeway, Highway 280, Highway 37 and Highway 780.

But in Sacramento you have to be anal on your designations like Business 80, I-80, I-5, US-50 due to 80 being signed in two places though.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.