Google Maps just fucking SUCKS now

Started by agentsteel53, February 26, 2014, 03:26:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anyone else having an insane amount of trouble with the new Google Maps?

instant browser crash
10 (3.5%)
loads fine, then crashes the browser when attempting to do anything at all
23 (8%)
not quite terrible, but still worse
127 (44.4%)
I am indifferent
63 (22%)
I actually like the new Google Maps
63 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 286

Hurricane Rex

I wish google had a running option so I know how long it would be for me to run to a certain place at 8-10 mph.
ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

kphoger

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on December 28, 2017, 04:40:23 AM
I wish google had a running option so I know how long it would be for me to run to a certain place at 8-10 mph.

There's math for that.  miles÷speed=hours.  With numbers like 8 or 10 mph, that should even be easy enough to figure in your head.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

Running speed is variable and to an extent dependent on age, as is reflected in pass standards for the triathlon-like Army Physical Fitness Test (if memory serves, a male recruit reaches the point where a pass equates to a ten-minute mile sometime in his mid- to late twenties).

I think I would place more emphasis on using StreetView to evaluate potential running routes for hazards such as stakes close to the sidewalk or running track.  I have family friends who are in their mid-seventies and very fitness-oriented, and their 2017 Christmas letter mentioned that the husband had cut his shin on such a stake, which was used to tie down an on-premises advertising display.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: J N Winkler on December 28, 2017, 12:13:23 PM
Running speed is variable and to an extent dependent on age, as is reflected in pass standards for the triathlon-like Army Physical Fitness Test (if memory serves, a male recruit reaches the point where a pass equates to a ten-minute mile sometime in his mid- to late twenties).

I think I would place more emphasis on using StreetView to evaluate potential running routes for hazards such as stakes close to the sidewalk or running track.  I have family friends who are in their mid-seventies and very fitness-oriented, and their 2017 Christmas letter mentioned that the husband had cut his shin on such a stake, which was used to tie down an on-premises advertising display.
I hate random shit that sticks out of the ground and Oklahoma City seem to be ground zero for that.

D-Dey65

Recently I tried to use Google Street View to look at a bridge under the Metro-North New Haven Line in Mamaroneck (or Harrison, I forget), and the camera view kept swinging from side to side!

:eyebrow:

I really wish I could say I was kidding about that.

kphoger

Quote from: D-Dey65 on December 28, 2017, 05:36:16 PM
Recently I tried to use Google Street View to look at a bridge under the Metro-North New Haven Line in Mamaroneck (or Harrison, I forget), and the camera view kept swinging from side to side!

:eyebrow:

I really wish I could say I was kidding about that.

That's pretty much normal for Google.  I imagine it's either that or skipping longer distances.  I assume the Google car drove both directions, and it's merely finding the closest spot to your pointer click.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: kphoger on December 28, 2017, 11:03:23 AM
Quote from: Hurricane Rex on December 28, 2017, 04:40:23 AM

There's math for that.  miles÷speed=hours.  With numbers like 8 or 10 mph, that should even be easy enough to figure in your head.

I mean I do that all the time in my head however sometimes after a day in AP Calculus I just want to be lazy. :)      That is my reasoning for this. Otherwise your point is the way to do it.

Running till I die.

billtm

Quote from: kphoger on December 27, 2017, 11:58:39 AM
Quote from: billtm on December 26, 2017, 10:40:31 PM
the names of locations on the map act as links, which automatically rezoom and repan the map for you,

This is especially annoying if you have a bad mouse that likes to turn drags into clicks.

Yeah, my trackpad turns drags into clicks very often. :banghead:

hotdogPi

I have a MacBook Pro. There is an option to disable "tap to click".

I'm not sure if Windows systems have the same option.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Brian556

Is Google Maps running slow for you guys? It is painfully slow for me, to the point that its basically non-usable. The problem is not my computer because I just did a clean install of Windows on a new hard drive. I'm using Edge, which is really fast on other websites

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: Brian556 on January 19, 2018, 01:04:53 AM
Is Google Maps running slow for you guys? It is painfully slow for me, to the point that its basically non-usable. The problem is not my computer because I just did a clean install of Windows on a new hard drive. I'm using Edge, which is really fast on other websites

It's running fine for me. I flip between edge and chrome.

Running till I die.

jakeroot

Quote from: Brian556 on January 19, 2018, 01:04:53 AM

I was having a problem on Thursday where, if I left a tab open for too long, it would get really laggy and I'd have to close it. Haven't used Gmaps desktop since then, so not sure if the problem persists.

On Gmaps mobile, I've been having this issue where the traffic layer keeps turning itself on. Very annoying since I don't use Gmaps for traffic (I have Waze for that).

english si

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on December 26, 2017, 01:58:12 AMGoogle can be nice and annoying.
Indeed, when it is good it is very very good, and when it is bad it is horrid.

Eth

Extremely minor issue that I have on my laptop: if I leave a tab open for a while (and, I suspect, close/reopen the lid, though I haven't confirmed this) the map becomes ever so slightly blurry. Like, not to the point of being unreadable or anything, but just enough that you can see that text isn't quite as crisp as usual. Easily fixed with a refresh, though.

On another note: if you miss the old, more noticeable freeway colors, you can still see them by looking at South Korea, where I guess they haven't yet updated the static raster images they use there with the new scheme.

CtrlAltDel

A new change I've noticed is that they now put prices in the little flags that indicate where hotels are. Which is nice, although the font shading could use some work.

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

formulanone

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on January 20, 2018, 08:18:23 PM
A new change I've noticed is that they now put prices in the little flags that indicate where hotels are. Which is nice, although the font shading could use some work.

Google, show me the nearest Post Offices / Zaxby’s / Grocery Stores...easy enough.

Google, show me the nearest Holiday Inn...It shows you every hotel, motel, hostel, dormitory, and gulag in a 100 mile radius.

Hurricane Rex

Aparently Google maps only allows 10 stops on directions which for someone like me, who goes on to fictionalize random road trips, its inconvienent and annoying.

Running till I die.

D-Dey65

You know, I would LOVE to correct Google Maps on the waterways of the east end of Long Island. They seem to have this crazy idea that the Peconic River includes Long Beach Bay, Orient Harbor, the Shelter Island Sound, Sag Harbor Bay, Noyack Bay, Southold Bay, Hog Neck Bay, Cutchogue Harbor, North Race, the Little and Great Peconic Bays, Flanders Bay, and Reeve's Bay.

Rothman

Quote from: D-Dey65 on January 24, 2018, 10:02:35 AM
You know, I would LOVE to correct Google Maps on the waterways of the east end of Long Island. They seem to have this crazy idea that the Peconic River includes Long Beach Bay, Orient Harbor, the Shelter Island Sound, Sag Harbor Bay, Noyack Bay, Southold Bay, Hog Neck Bay, Cutchogue Harbor, North Race, the Little and Great Peconic Bays, Flanders Bay, and Reeve's Bay.
Its handling of waterways in general id pretty lousy.  Labeling of them is sparse and inconsistent in general.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

stormwatch7721

Is it just me or is google maps a little slow?

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: stormwatch7721 on January 29, 2018, 07:37:09 PM
Is it just me or is google maps a little slow?
It can be a little slow for me as well. Your not alone.

Running till I die.

Quote from: Hurricane Rex on January 21, 2018, 02:41:54 AM
Aparently Google maps only allows 10 stops on directions which for someone like me, who goes on to fictionalize random road trips, its inconvienent and annoying.

(Slight grave-dig)

Circa 2012 they used to allow about 15 stops, and you could modify the route by dragging it quite a few times too.  Always confused me why they removed those extra stops; I guess user friendliness isn't always on the top of their minds.
Left for 5 months Oct 2018-Mar 2019 due to arguing in the DST thread.
Tried coming back Mar 2019.
Left again Jul 2019 due to more arguing.

CtrlAltDel

I wouldn’t call this a feature that sucks, but apparently, for some multistory buildings, Google Maps offers a floor plan of each floor. For Boston City Hall, for example, you can see what’s on each of the nine, by clicking a number on the lower right of the map.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Boston+City+Hall/@42.360398,-71.0585033,19.42z/data=!3m1!5s0x89e37085a36acc1b:0xff95595e8d8887bb!4m5!3m4!1s0x89e37085a3300f2f:0x7e2c37cdd191455a!8m2!3d42.360406!4d-71.057993
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

jakeroot

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on February 13, 2018, 12:57:02 AM
I wouldn't call this a feature that sucks, but apparently, for some multistory buildings, Google Maps offers a floor plan of each floor. For Boston City Hall, for example, you can see what's on each of the nine, by clicking a number on the lower right of the map.

http://i68.tinypic.com/9fmc1k.png

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Boston+City+Hall/@42.360398,-71.0585033,19.42z/data=!3m1!5s0x89e37085a36acc1b:0xff95595e8d8887bb!4m5!3m4!1s0x89e37085a3300f2f:0x7e2c37cdd191455a!8m2!3d42.360406!4d-71.057993

As far as I know, this has been a feature for several years. Still pretty cool though.

vdeane

Looks like Google has updated the API maps to the new design, so even http://gokml.net/maps won't give you the old one any more.  Too bad none of their alternative styles are as good (the retro one would be nice, but it's missing many route markers, exit numbers, and borders).  The street view overlay haven't updated yet, though.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.