News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

DFW Projects Thread

Started by austrini, July 06, 2009, 04:12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

txstateends

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/transportation/2018/02/28/work-begins-666m-redo-ofi-35e-highway-67-deck-park-plans

Groundbreaking was today (Wednesday) for the "Southern Gateway", a re-do of 2 freeways:  I-35E between the Trinity River and the US 67 exit, and US 67 between I-35E and I-20.  It will cost over $650 million, and will include structuring/preparation for an eventual deck park over I-35E between the Marsalis and Ewing exits.  The park would supposedly be similar in scope to the deck park over Woodall Rodgers Freeway adjacent to downtown.  The "Southern Gateway" work is proposed to be complete by December 2021.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

longhorn

http://drivemidtown.com/view/photos/

183 redo is coming along nicely, not sure of completion date. Using pavement instead of concrete.

Bobby5280

I was in DFW yesterday; had to drive to Love Field. Progress along TX-114 & TX-183 seems like it is going slow. More of the work must be concentrated on Loop 12 and TX-183 West of the 114 split. Gotta pay attention to the temporary orange signs. I almost missed the exit for Mockingbird Lane to get over to the airport. The new WB TX-183 bridge over the Trinity is open to traffic while the EB direction going toward downtown is still on the old bridge.

I don't know what to think about the section of TX-114 in Las Colinas. Right now it's in a configuration of 2 free lanes and 1 toll lane in each direction. That just seems like a really tiny bottle neck compared to the huge 6-2-2-6 lane configuration of TX-114/TX-121 in Grapevine. I guess since the road surface in Las Colinas is asphalt this configuration of TX-114 is meant to be temporary, especially since the projects on either side of it are bigger.

Things are kind of blowing up at the intersection of TX-114 and I-35W. Those Buc-cee's convenience stores are gigantic. But, hey! 79¢ giant sized fountain drinks! The new outlet mall, all the restaurants going up and other development might force TX-DOT to fill in the missing freeway on that stretch of TX-114 from US-377 to the big public school complex by FM-156. They really just need to extend the TX-114 freeway West of there to prevent a really serious traffic bottle neck from taking place.

txstateends

I don't understand the 4 main lanes on TX 114 through Las Colinas either.  Once the new Toyota Music Factory site is fully complete, traffic volumes may end up convincing the state to add another lane each way, but who knows?

The I-35W/TX 114 area will likely need to add main lanes sooner than later.  It's amazing the amount of development out that way.

It is very easy to miss exits or not be aware of changes with the work along TX 183.  Now, the TX 114 EB exit to WB TX 183 is closed and torn up, with the same going on for the WB TX 114 exit to Loop 12.  Some of the permanent BGSes for EB TX 183 east of Belt Line have been installed even though the construction isn't nearly complete yet.

Chris

A public meeting is scheduled for the I-35W expansion in Denton County: http://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/get-involved/about/hearings-meetings/dallas/041918.html

• The proposed project would consist of the reconstruction and widening of I-35W from the Denton/Tarrant County line to the I-35/I-35E interchange. The I-35W mainlanes would be widened from four to six lanes. Continuous four-lane frontage roads with auxiliary lanes would be added from Dale Earnhardt Way to the I-35/I-35E interchange. Existing ramps would be reconfigured and/or relocated. Cross street intersections would be upgraded to an urban style intersection and may require grade separation. Additional right of way is anticipated to be needed for the addition of the new frontage roads. Construction is anticipated to take place in phases, with frontage road improvements occurring first.

wxfree

Quote from: wxfree on March 03, 2016, 09:57:44 PM
How many people here have used the new westbound-to-southbound connector in the Mixmaster?  You probably get accustomed to it, but I've only been there twice (and generally wouldn't be there more than once every few years), and to me it seems really steep.  It has to be steep to get from I-30 down low and cross over the through lanes, but that slope combined with the curve makes it feel like a roller coaster.

Playing around on Google Maps I've found that the situation I complained about was temporary.  A new permanent ramp from I-30 westbound to I-35E southbound was being built at the time I was driving through on the temporary ramp, and the new ramp is less steep (it goes under the northbound mainlanes).  The temporary ramp is now the permanent ramp to Colorado Blvd.  It's still steep, but it's an Interstate to local road connector, not Interstate to Interstate, so it isn't as big a deal.  You can still get to the main southbound lanes from it, because that ramp joins lanes leading from I-30 eastbound (and Riverfront Blvd.) to Colorado Blvd. and I-35E southbound.

Two separate exits from I-30 eastbound lead to the same set of lanes on the same bridge over the river.  The Colorado Blvd. exit puts you farther to the right, in lanes that lead to Colorado Blvd., while the I-35E southbound exit puts you in the left lanes, near the left exit to the main southbound lanes.  The exit to I-35E southbound also leads back to I-30 eastbound, because it converges with the I-35E southbound to I-30 eastbound lanes.  This also means that the southbound-to-eastbound exit also leads back southbound.  This is all very complex.  The lanes lead to the signed designation if you don't change lanes, but they're on the same roadway, so you can weave between the two if you want to get back onto the same highway you just exited.  This could function as a bypass in case mainlanes are closed within the interchange.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

Chris

The SH 360 extension has a ribbon-cutting planned for May 11: http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/arlington/article208618329.html

Quote"We have sent out a 'save the date' note to officials for a May 11 ribbon-cutting," said NTTA spokesman Michael Rey. "... It is tentative, so we will watch the weather and see."

The project stretches from South Green Oaks Boulevard in Arlington to U.S. 287 in Mansfield. To drive the entire toll road will cost $1.62 with a TollTag and $2.44 without one, with drivers billed by mail.

During its 9.7-mile path, the toll road touches Arlington, Grand Prairie and Mansfield.

Bobby5280

With the TX-360 toll way extension nearing completion the next thing I'd like to see happen in that area is US-287 upgraded to Interstate standards from Heritage Parkway (where the US-287 freeway currently ends) through the TX-360 interchange and down to the freeway segment around Midlothian. Such an upgrade to US-287 looks pretty feasible, even with adding frontage roads.

The situation looks a little more tricky between Midlothian and Waxahachie; a few properties are hugging a little too close to the US-287 main lanes and not set back far enough to allow for new frontage roads. The same problem is present on US-287 between Waxahachie and Ennis. Ultimately US-287 needs to be Interstate the entire way between I-20 in Fort Worth and I-45 in Ennis.

rte66man

Quote from: Bobby5280 on April 13, 2018, 03:34:41 PM
With the TX-360 toll way extension nearing completion the next thing I'd like to see happen in that area is US-287 upgraded to Interstate standards from Heritage Parkway (where the US-287 freeway currently ends) through the TX-360 interchange and down to the freeway segment around Midlothian. Such an upgrade to US-287 looks pretty feasible, even with adding frontage roads.

The situation looks a little more tricky between Midlothian and Waxahachie; a few properties are hugging a little too close to the US-287 main lanes and not set back far enough to allow for new frontage roads. The same problem is present on US-287 between Waxahachie and Ennis. Ultimately US-287 needs to be Interstate the entire way between I-20 in Fort Worth and I-45 in Ennis.

TxDOT is upgrading the Ennis bypass to 4 lanes with grade separations.  I was through there last month and will try to get my photos posted later.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Bobby5280

Thank God they're doing something about that stretch of US-287 in Ennis. It has always been a "WTF?" head-scratcher seeing US-287 drop down to a dinky 2-lane facility leading up to I-45. Hopefully the re-do from I-45 to the Lake Bardwell Drive (TX-34) exit is all Interstate quality. The US-287 interchange with I-45 is kind of lousy with that tight 35mph loop ramp for SB US-287 to NB I-45. TX DOT will have to re-do that with a new flyover ramp at some point.

rte66man

US287 EB Ennis bypass:

Just east of the interchange with TX34

EB at Ensign Road

EB at Oak Grove Road

Creek just east of Oak Grove Road

At I45

-Yogi Berra

txstateends

Interesting in the last pic, that not only is US 287 left off the SB BGS, but a control city of Corsicana is used, when the usual control city SB is Houston.  I could see Corsicana being included if the US 287 shield were on there.

Great pix, rte66man.

Brian556

Quote from: rte66man on April 16, 2018, 10:24:03 PM
US287 EB Ennis bypass:

Just east of the interchange with TX34

EB at Ensign Road

EB at Oak Grove Road

Creek just east of Oak Grove Road

At I45

Did you go down Ensign Rd?

Chris

A FONSI has been issued for phase 1 of Loop 9 south of Dallas (I-35E to I-45): https://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/get-involved/about/hearings-meetings/dallas/041718.html

Loop 9 is an approximately 10-mile proposed new location roadway intended to address population growth, transportation demand, system linkages and connectivity among the existing roadway facilities. As currently proposed, the project would consist of a single two-lane, two-way frontage road within the ultimate proposed ROW footprint for the project (Phase 1). The proposed project would also construct intersections at major cross roads and grade separations at I-35E and the BNSF Railroad.  The proposed ROW would include a median (200 to 364 ft. wide) that would accommodate the future construction of an ultimate access-controlled mainline facility.

As traffic warrants and funding becomes available, Phase 2 of the proposed project would involve the construction of the second two-lane frontage road and the conversion of the two-way frontage road built in Phase 1 to a one-way operation.  As traffic warrants and funding becomes available, Phase 3 would involve the construction of a third frontage road lane in each direction and include the construction of grade separations at specific high-volume intersections.  Phase 4 would involve the construction of the ultimate access-controlled mainlane facility in both directions. 

Great Lakes Roads

A new 4 mile stretch of express lanes on I-35W are now opened up to traffic!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njEiNn2Q378

longhorn

Don't understand the reasoning of rebuilding the right of way and only building only two free lanes each direction when it could have been three and build oneself some cushion.

MaxConcrete

About 12 miles of widened I-45 main lanes south of Corsicana has recently opened to traffic. It now has 6 lanes (3x3). The interior shoulder is somewhat narrow along much of the length due to the narrow median (which was paved for the widening). On the south end, the interior shoulders are standard width.

There is still work in progress in the Corsicana area.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

MaxConcrete

Quote from: longhorn on April 18, 2018, 10:38:13 AM
Don't understand the reasoning of rebuilding the right of way and only building only two free lanes each direction when it could have been three and build oneself some cushion.

The long-term plan is to have four free lanes each way, and right-of-way is set aside for the ultimate width. Having only two free lanes each way is very annoying after all the construction.

The plan for this corridor was formulated at the peak of toll road hegemony in planning, and the lack of new free lanes was due to lack of public funds available and also probably to force more traffic onto the toll lanes and improve financial returns for the private operator.

Of course the pendulum has totally swung in the opposite direction now, with TxDOT not allowing the IH 635 east project to proceed if it has toll lanes, and local interests lobbying to keep the toll lanes.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

MaxConcrete

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on April 18, 2018, 09:01:38 AM
A new 4 mile stretch of express lanes on I-35W are now opened up to traffic!!

One of the more interesting features is the interchange at IH 820, which features 12 direct-connection ramps, 8 ramps for regular traffic and 4 ramps for the toll lanes (the four connections on the east side)

You can see it at the end of the video.
www.DFWFreeways.com
www.HoustonFreeways.com

Bobby5280

The I-35W and I-820 interchange looks pretty impressive for all the flyover ramps on the Eastern half of the interchange. It doesn't look like they designed any of the toll lane flyover ramps where a "Y" could be added later if/when the I-820 toll lanes are extended West through the interchange.

I'll chime in with agreement over the very odd, underwhelming lane configuration of I-35W. Only 2 free lanes in each direction? That's really anemic. Granted, I-35W in the North part of Fort Worth had only 2 or 3 lanes in each direction before this massive re-build. If 4 free lanes in each direction is the ultimate goal then that's all good. I just hope TX DOT is able to do that capacity expansion sometime in the not distant future. This current configuration is not going to cut it.

It reminds me of the disappointment I felt when seeing the finished expansion of I-820, another 2-2T-2T-2 road. At least in the case of I-35W there may be enough room to add four lanes in each direction. Maybe. I wonder if part of the plan is shaving one or two feet off lane widths so vehicles can "trade paint" more easily. I-820 looks really boxed-in. I don't know how they would add any more free lanes to that configuration. But it's another road that needs it.

Chris

I also thought the 2+2+2+2 lane setup of I-35W north is a bit disappointing after this massive rebuild. It could've been a 12 lane freeway in the same footprint.

I think the I-35W express lanes will be well-utilized with only 2 free lanes in each direction. It's like "congestion by design" and pay if you want to bypass traffic congestion. The operator of the North Tarrant Express system will probably be satisfied with that situation.

rte66man

Quote from: Brian556 on April 17, 2018, 07:02:57 PM

I was in a hurry and didn't take any side detours.

-Yogi Berra

Brian556

Quote from: rte66man on April 20, 2018, 10:03:26 PM

It is a very unique old highway. One lane is concrete, the other is gravel

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Brian556 on April 21, 2018, 10:13:31 AM

Are there any examples of this outside of this freeway? That is very strange and what is the signed speed limit? Obviously you would need to be very careful switching lanes.

Brian556

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on April 21, 2018, 06:33:32 PM
Quote from: Brian556 on April 21, 2018, 10:13:31 AM

Are there any examples of this outside of this freeway? That is very strange and what is the signed speed limit? Obviously you would need to be very careful switching lanes.

The condition that I describe is not on the freeway. It is on a county road https://www.google.com/maps/@32.2046138,-96.6004247,3a,25.5y,168.27h,79.89t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s7tx26D4Az9e-PI1e5qLefg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.