News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Garden State Parkway

Started by Roadrunner75, July 30, 2014, 09:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

Quote from: SignBridge on December 21, 2017, 09:04:51 PM
Point taken, Alps. You know that area better than I do. (chuckle!)
I'm also nice and opinionated.

NJRoadfan

Looks like NJTA is marking all their jurisdictional boundries. an "END NJTA" sign appeared at the end of the northbound Exit 135 ramp. Looks like Union County DPW maintains all of the circle there.

Roadgeek Adam

Quote from: NJRoadfan on December 22, 2017, 04:56:29 PM
Looks like NJTA is marking all their jurisdictional boundries. an "END NJTA" sign appeared at the end of the northbound Exit 135 ramp. Looks like Union County DPW maintains all of the circle there.

Makes sense. It would help subcontractors enormously. 
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

storm2k

So it looks like they're getting ready to shift some traffic around on the NB Parkway between 125 and 127. Looks like they're going to move some traffic into a contra-flow situation to rebuild that underpass near 125 that they'd been working on. There are orange temporary signs for 127 that are clearly over the old SB lanes that have moved.

storm2k

So, saw this sign at the bottom of the 129 service road where it merges with Rt 9:

Not End NJTA, but Begin NJDOT. They're not even doing these little signs consistently.

bzakharin

The left lane has finally opened to traffic Southbound in the area between exits 38 and 36 (and possibly elsewhere. This is the only segment I frequent), so there are now three thru lanes (plus the previously opened lane that enters from the Atlantic City Expressway and exits at exit 36). Northbound the left lane is still closed.

Alps

Quote from: bzakharin on January 16, 2018, 09:15:35 AM
The left lane has finally opened to traffic Southbound in the area between exits 38 and 36 (and possibly elsewhere. This is the only segment I frequent), so there are now three thru lanes (plus the previously opened lane that enters from the Atlantic City Expressway and exits at exit 36). Northbound the left lane is still closed.
That should make it 3 continuous lanes from Exit 168 down past 36 now, which is unquestionably the longest 3-lane continuous freeway in NJ and likely for quite some distance around - I can't think of anything longer in the entire Northeast. (I-95 from DC to Wilmington is under 100, as is I-95/NJ Tpk. complex from Exit 4 in NJ to the Bruckner Interchange.)

NJRoadfan

The only section open southbound is from Exit 36 to 38. Northbound is coned off in the same area and the segment from Exit 38 to 41 is still being worked on.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Alps on January 16, 2018, 12:46:53 PM
That should make it 3 continuous lanes from Exit 168 down past 36 now, which is unquestionably the longest 3-lane continuous freeway in NJ and likely for quite some distance around - I can't think of anything longer in the entire Northeast. (I-95 from DC to Wilmington is under 100, as is I-95/NJ Tpk. complex from Exit 4 in NJ to the Bruckner Interchange.)

Not counting the interchanges with I-495 (and maybe NB briefly just before the I-295 NB merge north of Richmond), I-95 is 6+ lanes at this point all the way from Wilmington to I-85 in Petersburg.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Alps

Quote from: 74/171FAN on January 16, 2018, 06:13:38 PM
Quote from: Alps on January 16, 2018, 12:46:53 PM

Not counting the interchanges with I-495 (and maybe NB briefly just before the I-295 NB merge north of Richmond), I-95 is 6+ lanes at this point all the way from Wilmington to I-85 in Petersburg.
I'm counting the interchanges.

_Simon

Quote from: mrsman on November 26, 2017, 08:13:34 AM
Quote from: 7/8 on July 15, 2017, 11:55:33 AM
Quote from: storm2k on July 12, 2017, 01:48:53 AM
Here is the sign at the new exit 125:

I guess I'm in the minority by thinking this sign is okay. I agree the EZ-Pass logo could be a bit smaller, but at least it puts a strong emphasis on the fact that non-EZ Pass users will be in trouble if they exit here. I think this is important since people from certain areas (such as myself) aren't used to having exits where some cars aren't allowed to use certain exits. I'll also point out that I just tried using Google Maps to see if it would suggest for me to use this exit and it did. I think that makes it that much more important to put emphasis on "EZ Pass only" on the signs since Google will tell people to exit there.

You probably think it's OK because at some level, it is similar to what is done in Ontario.  I agree.  I would simplify the sign by getting rid of the stuff on the left mentioning the parkway.  So the entire top banner will read EZ Pass Only.  And there will be two arrows (straight/right and right) and between the two arrows will be Chevalier Ave.  I believe it is well understood that going straight means staying on the Parkway, so let's not sign that and simplify the sign.

I would make it even simpler and remove the "straight" arrow from the equation.    "Exit only" already indicates the right lane exits and the second right lane goes both ways.   Nothing needed beyond normal stubby exit arrows here.   I absolutely hate these horrible new arrows -- they make the signs way larger than they need to be,  and they only make sense directly above the lane configuration they describe (as opposed to a diagrammatic,  though not appropriate in this scenario,  but which can be put anywhere,  including long before the lanes being described have begun,  or in places where the sign can't align directly with the lanes).

These new lane arrows remind me of a horrible allusion to white lane usage signage at traffic lights and constantly make me think we're about to encounter a traffic signal or some type of channelization.   I don't like them at all and if I knew at NJDOT who was in charge of adopting this part of the MUTCD,  I'd have Bill Cosby touch their family.

storm2k

Quote from: _Simon on January 17, 2018, 09:16:10 AM
Quote from: mrsman on November 26, 2017, 08:13:34 AM
Quote from: 7/8 on July 15, 2017, 11:55:33 AM
Quote from: storm2k on July 12, 2017, 01:48:53 AM
Here is the sign at the new exit 125:

I guess I'm in the minority by thinking this sign is okay. I agree the EZ-Pass logo could be a bit smaller, but at least it puts a strong emphasis on the fact that non-EZ Pass users will be in trouble if they exit here. I think this is important since people from certain areas (such as myself) aren't used to having exits where some cars aren't allowed to use certain exits. I'll also point out that I just tried using Google Maps to see if it would suggest for me to use this exit and it did. I think that makes it that much more important to put emphasis on "EZ Pass only" on the signs since Google will tell people to exit there.

You probably think it's OK because at some level, it is similar to what is done in Ontario.  I agree.  I would simplify the sign by getting rid of the stuff on the left mentioning the parkway.  So the entire top banner will read EZ Pass Only.  And there will be two arrows (straight/right and right) and between the two arrows will be Chevalier Ave.  I believe it is well understood that going straight means staying on the Parkway, so let's not sign that and simplify the sign.

I would make it even simpler and remove the "straight" arrow from the equation.    "Exit only" already indicates the right lane exits and the second right lane goes both ways.   Nothing needed beyond normal stubby exit arrows here.   I absolutely hate these horrible new arrows -- they make the signs way larger than they need to be,  and they only make sense directly above the lane configuration they describe (as opposed to a diagrammatic,  though not appropriate in this scenario,  but which can be put anywhere,  including long before the lanes being described have begun,  or in places where the sign can't align directly with the lanes).

These new lane arrows remind me of a horrible allusion to white lane usage signage at traffic lights and constantly make me think we're about to encounter a traffic signal or some type of channelization.   I don't like them at all and if I knew at NJDOT who was in charge of adopting this part of the MUTCD,  I'd have Bill Cosby touch their family.

They're not using the APL properly. An APL is supposed to span over all of the lanes so you can easily tell which lane corresponds to which movement. Here is an example of a proper APL, which does help with knowing which lane to be in. Even though it's part of the Turnpike Authority now, and the whole Authority has gone mostly-MUTCD, Parkway engineers still take some liberties with their signage choices.

Alps

Quote from: storm2k on January 17, 2018, 01:18:34 PM

They're not using the APL properly. An APL is supposed to span over all of the lanes so you can easily tell which lane corresponds to which movement. Here is an example of a proper APL, which does help with knowing which lane to be in. Even though it's part of the Turnpike Authority now, and the whole Authority has gone mostly-MUTCD, Parkway engineers still take some liberties with their signage choices.
Call this the California variant. Why construct another 6 lanes of down arrows? I think this is going to find acceptance as people realize the onus APLs place. Diagrammatics are better because they represent all the lanes without down arrows over each.

SignBridge

APL's would be a lot easier to swallow both for us guys and the highway agencies if the Federal spec was changed to allow a shorter arrow stem (like those in the above Chevalier Ave. sign) with the resulting  smaller sign panel and a lot less wasted space. Maybe reason will prevail and the next edition of the Manual will contain such a revision, if we're lucky.

vdeane

Well, the straight+ramp arrows need to be big enough to see, and the idea behind the other arrows is for all straight and curved arrows to be the same height as each other.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

roadman65

I see that Sayreville and the mention of both Routes 9 and 35 are not mentioned like they are NB. I am guessing that its because its an all electronic exit and do not want to send everybody for there and those two highways by using that ramp.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on January 25, 2018, 10:38:31 PM
I see that Sayreville and the mention of both Routes 9 and 35 are not mentioned like they are NB. I am guessing that its because its an all electronic exit and do not want to send everybody for there and those two highways by using that ramp.

Because of where it empties out, I think that was intentional. It could easily be handled by a couple of supplemental signs. 9 is already handled by 129 and you don't have to pay a toll that way. If anything, it would make more sense for a supplemental sign for 35 at 129. 440 also has exits with 35 so there's no reason for them to include that SB coming from the tangle.

roadman65

Yeah, that is another reason as with it being AET, and you have previous Exit 129 handling most of the cars (as no toll there).  As I lived in NJ and to this day I would use 129 and US 9 as its not much longer as both are signal free roads.  Plus, going to Sayreville is best by using 124 anyway, as this new ramp is only for an industrial area of the borough. 

Going NB you have no exits at 123 and 124 so signing it for Sayreville would be feasible.  I do know that US 9 SB being signed on it was rather recent, as it always had just NJ 35 signed on it for years and even poorly too.  It only had one ground mount at exit guide as being the toll plaza was before it, the former NJ Highway Authority did not bother to have an advanced one either.  Even though the Main Street Overpass would be my place to erect one (or two for both express and local lanes) to advise motorists of the upcoming ramp and had always the at exit on an overhead.  Obviously the NJHA never put much into using proper signage on the Parkway as most locals never cared about them being there to complain about it.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Garden State Parkway jammed by new traffic pattern for 8-month project

QuoteDespite signs that have been warning of the shifting lanes for weeks, traffic backed up for more than 5 miles in the local lanes during the morning rush hour, according to 511nj.org, the state's traffic website.

They did have a lot of signs up this past weekend, but I guess there's only so much you can do.

Alps

Quote from: storm2k on January 29, 2018, 10:44:42 PM
Garden State Parkway jammed by new traffic pattern for 8-month project

QuoteDespite signs that have been warning of the shifting lanes for weeks, traffic backed up for more than 5 miles in the local lanes during the morning rush hour, according to 511nj.org, the state's traffic website.

They did have a lot of signs up this past weekend, but I guess there's only so much you can do.
It always takes traffic several days to adjust.

storm2k

This frustrating Parkway bottleneck is going to be fixed. It will cost $63M.

QuoteReplacing the Central Avenue bridge over the Parkway in East Orange will add exit lanes to and from Exit 145 and increase safety by eliminating tolls in one direction.

QuoteThe toll plaza will be demolished at the exit from the northbound Parkway and a $1 toll would be charged at the remaining plaza.

A couple of facts are wrong in this article, as the whole point is to allow 2 decel lanes from the Parkway NB into 145 and 2 accel lanes onto the Parkway SB. The toll plaza elimination is a newer thing, though. The original plans did not touch the toll plaza. Eventually, the only toll collected at this interchange will be from 280 to the Parkway SB.

roadman65

Does anyone yet use the crossovers at Exit 117 and 114 to go from Express to Local?  When I lived their back in the 70's and 80's those crossovers had no one use them as motorists felt changing carriageways en route was not worth it.

Many New Jerseyans consider just sticking with the local lanes all the way from the start even heading straight through.   As the outer roadway always carried more lanes (the inner at two verses three of the outer) most drivers felt more secure for free flow on the outer road than the inner as well as the time travel factor.  Does anyone save time using the express lanes over the local ones?   Most likely not, so the inner two lanes are just extra lanes and not seen as a free flow to most drivers.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on April 11, 2018, 06:29:33 PM
Does anyone yet use the crossovers at Exit 117 and 114 to go from Express to Local?  When I lived their back in the 70's and 80's those crossovers had no one use them as motorists felt changing carriageways en route was not worth it.

Many New Jerseyans consider just sticking with the local lanes all the way from the start even heading straight through.   As the outer roadway always carried more lanes (the inner at two verses three of the outer) most drivers felt more secure for free flow on the outer road than the inner as well as the time travel factor.  Does anyone save time using the express lanes over the local ones?   Most likely not, so the inner two lanes are just extra lanes and not seen as a free flow to most drivers.

The only time I've seen them have moderate use is when one roadway is congested, but the other is more free-flowing. Personally, I've always been of the mind that you never use the express lanes. If things really go sour on that stretch, you can at least get off at one of the exits and work your way around the issues.

Alps

Quote from: storm2k on April 12, 2018, 12:33:01 AM

The only time I've seen them have moderate use is when one roadway is congested, but the other is more free-flowing. Personally, I've always been of the mind that you never use the express lanes. If things really go sour on that stretch, you can at least get off at one of the exits and work your way around the issues.
They get plenty of use. I've used them on many occasions. Heading south, I'll ride the Express lanes while there are 3 of them and watch the locals to see if it's worth switching when Express drops to 2 - or I'll use the crossover to get to the Garden State Arts Center. Heading north, again, coming back from the Arts Center, or the reverse of the above - come north in the Locals because there are 3 lanes, then switch to Express when a lane is added there. 3 is so much nicer than 2.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: storm2k on April 12, 2018, 12:33:01 AM

I always use the local lanes for the same reasons as noted above (more lanes for much of the length, easier access to exits in a jam) and some might say that certain state officials in white Tahoes tend to frequent the "express" lanes more often.  I don't see any real benefit to the express lanes at all, unless I know in advance of a backup on the local.  Sometimes when heading south during the evening rush hour, I will stick with the express rather than fighting my way across at the split and then use the crossover to the local lanes where it drops to 2 lanes.  That crossover is always a fun time as I take it at full highway speed, and occasionally will almost plow into some clown going 35 around the curve.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.