News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

How to close your account?

Started by bandit957, February 18, 2015, 09:39:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

How does one close their account here?
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Molandfreak

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

bugo

Zeffy

Quote from: bandit957 on February 18, 2015, 09:39:53 PM
How does one close their account here?

We'd really prefer if you didn't, but if you are absolutely sure about it (think of everyone who will miss you! :-(), if you click profile in the menu bar and go to actions, there should be a 'delete your account' link. I have no idea if it asks you if you really want to do such a thing, but there it is.

But...
Quote from: Molandfreak on February 18, 2015, 09:42:25 PM
Don't leave! :-(
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Alps

bandit957

Quote from: Zeffy on February 18, 2015, 09:44:41 PM
We'd really prefer if you didn't, but if you are absolutely sure about it (think of everyone who will miss you! :-(), if you click profile in the menu bar and go to actions, there should be a 'delete your account' link. I have no idea if it asks you if you really want to do such a thing, but there it is.

There is no "actions".
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

Stay Even if you cant post for a while. I had a bunch of stuff going on and had no time and almost  forgot my login ...but then I saw a post wondering where several of us once active posters went
So keep your account you may want to return

Zeffy

Quote from: bandit957 on February 18, 2015, 09:51:45 PM
There is no "actions".

Maybe it's just for staff members then... it's right next to "modify profile" on that sub-navigation bar, at least for me.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

NE2

Change your password to something random.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hbelkins

I don't see any options to delete an account, but seems to me like the easiest thing to do is just quit visiting the forum. You won't even be aware of its presence unless someone sends you a private message and you get an email notification, or someone makes reference to it somewhere else.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

US71

I think Admins can delete it if all else fails, though I'm not sure why you want to leave. Your prerogative, of course.  :-|
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

vdeane

Quote from: hbelkins on February 19, 2015, 11:22:28 AM
I don't see any options to delete an account, but seems to me like the easiest thing to do is just quit visiting the forum. You won't even be aware of its presence unless someone sends you a private message and you get an email notification, or someone makes reference to it somewhere else.
Second.  I've never understood why some people feel the need to delete accounts on sites they want to leave.  I always just stop posting if I decide to leave a forum for whatever reason.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

1995hoo

Quote from: vdeane on February 19, 2015, 03:38:30 PM
Second.  I've never understood why some people feel the need to delete accounts on sites they want to leave.  I always just stop posting if I decide to leave a forum for whatever reason.

Maybe they don't trust themselves to resist the urge to post if they come back and read it in the future? I know of one forum that won't even let you read the forum unless you're logged in, so one member who left in a snit had her account deleted in order to ensure she would be unable to read it at all. Obviously that logic doesn't work here, of course.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

Tim must be mad because his "Does thinking about roads make you need to take a dump" thread got locked.  :-D

1995hoo

Quote from: hbelkins on February 19, 2015, 07:21:06 PM
Tim must be mad because his "Does thinking about roads make you need to take a dump" thread got locked.  :-D

NE2's "Songs about dongs" thread got deleted a few days too early. I was going to note my experience Saturday night that gave new meaning to a certain hit single. On our way out of Verizon Center Saturday night I stopped in the men's room. Right as I started using the urinal for its intended purpose, the arena DJ started playing Taylor Swift's song "Shake It Off." Such timing!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Bickendan

Best thing I'd recommend is having an admin scramble your password if one is really intent on leaving and not returning, that way, should one change their mind down the road, they'd only need to get in touch with an admin to reset it.

bugo

Duke87

I always said the same thing until I took that self-imposed vacation from Facebook a month or so ago. Here's the thing about "just stop logging in" - if the problem is that you are addicted to a particular site, are using it more than is healthy, and need to kick the habit, you can't just decide to stop logging in and expect that decision to hold. So long as the option to log in remains, you will keep availing yourself of it because you don't have the willpower to not do so. Suspending or closing your account FORCES you to stop logging in because now you can't.

That said, if you aren't suffering from any sort of addiction and really just want to leave, then closing your account is not necessary. But some people still prefer to do so in order to prevent the abandoned account from getting hacked into, or to prevent any content they created with the account from being used against them later in life. I know people who have deleted their Facebook accounts before applying for jobs so that prospective employers can't look them up and judge them based on what's there.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

hbelkins

Quote from: Duke87 on June 17, 2015, 10:02:38 PMI know people who have deleted their Facebook accounts before applying for jobs so that prospective employers can't look them up and judge them based on what's there.

That's a better argument for not setting all your posts to "Public," as far too many people do. If you aren't my friend, you aren't going to see very much if you go to my Facebook page. And even if you are my friend, you're not going to see everything.

Rothman

:-D
Quote from: hbelkins on June 18, 2015, 02:33:48 PM
Quote from: Duke87 on June 17, 2015, 10:02:38 PMI know people who have deleted their Facebook accounts before applying for jobs so that prospective employers can't look them up and judge them based on what's there.

That's a better argument for not setting all your posts to "Public," as far too many people do. If you aren't my friend, you aren't going to see very much if you go to my Facebook page. And even if you are my friend, you're not going to see everything.

What's the point in having it, then?   :-D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

vdeane

I use selective posting stuff sometimes as well.  I have a "Roadgeeks" custom list set up specifically so that non-roadgeeks don't have to be bothered with things like the minutiae of clinching things and all that.  I even used the "custom" privacy setting for one post to exclude someone from seeing it (yes, you can do that).  I also have some people added to the "acquaintances" list to cut down on the amount of stuff in my news feed (seriously, I can check Facebook in less than half the time it used to take now).  I debate on and off over whether or not to ever use the "Close Friends" list, but I don't think I really have enough people that fit that description in my life to justify it.

Quote from: Duke87 on June 17, 2015, 10:02:38 PM

I always said the same thing until I took that self-imposed vacation from Facebook a month or so ago. Here's the thing about "just stop logging in" - if the problem is that you are addicted to a particular site, are using it more than is healthy, and need to kick the habit, you can't just decide to stop logging in and expect that decision to hold. So long as the option to log in remains, you will keep availing yourself of it because you don't have the willpower to not do so. Suspending or closing your account FORCES you to stop logging in because now you can't.

That said, if you aren't suffering from any sort of addiction and really just want to leave, then closing your account is not necessary. But some people still prefer to do so in order to prevent the abandoned account from getting hacked into, or to prevent any content they created with the account from being used against them later in life. I know people who have deleted their Facebook accounts before applying for jobs so that prospective employers can't look them up and judge them based on what's there.
I don't think I've ever tried to stop checking a site I was addicted to before.  Usually it's because I got bored of it instead.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

hbelkins

Quote from: Rothman on June 18, 2015, 03:16:43 PM

I have a Roadgeeks list that I use sometimes to keep non-roadgeek friends from having their feed cluttered up with stuff. And I have another list that includes folks with a different political opinion than me, and I use that if I don't want them commenting on my posts with their ignorant viewpoints.  :-D :-D :-D

bugo

Quote from: Rothman on June 18, 2015, 03:16:43 PM

I wondered the same thing, HB was on my friend list and I never got any updates from him and some of my friends who are friends with him were talking about updates that he had posted, so I just defriended him. Of course, it was all about politics.

hbelkins

Quote from: bugo on June 18, 2015, 11:54:53 PM
I wondered the same thing, HB was on my friend list and I never got any updates from him and some of my friends who are friends with him were talking about updates that he had posted, so I just defriended him. Of course, it was all about politics.

You should have been on the general overall list and should have been seeing comments, music videos, cat pictures, etc. Of course, Facebook is really picky about what it shows. I don't understand its algorithms as to what appears in my feed and what doesn't. I get updates from certain people with whom I have little to know interaction, yet don't get posts from other people that I would think I would hear more from.

SSOWorld

Quote from: hbelkins on June 19, 2015, 01:09:19 PM
Quote from: bugo on June 18, 2015, 11:54:53 PM

You should have been on the general overall list and should have been seeing comments, music videos, cat pictures, etc. Of course, Facebook is really picky about what it shows. I don't understand its algorithms as to what appears in my feed and what doesn't. I get updates from certain people with whom I have little to know interaction, yet don't get posts from other people that I would think I would hear more from.
Facebook cares about Facebook - no one else - whatever generates revenue for them is what you see.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.