News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

This is true? - Geographic oddities that defy conventional wisdom

Started by The Nature Boy, November 28, 2015, 10:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris

I was on vacation in Norway last month. The farthest north I got this time was 62.45 N. Which isn't very far north by Scandinavian standards. It is still southern Norway. Or central Sweden. But when you compare that latitude to North America.... You'll end up in Nunavut or on Baffin Island.

If you watch Ice Road Truckers, that show is located in Manitoba. Those winter roads are pretty far south compared to similar latitudes in Europe.

Speaking of Canada, their provinces are considerably larger than one might think. Manitoba stretches over 750 miles north to south, similar to the distance from Chicago to the Gulf of Mexico.

kalvado

Quote from: english si on July 03, 2018, 08:33:41 AM
Quote from: kalvado on July 03, 2018, 06:48:36 AMSecond... You'll never see three digit heat in Canada, as you just demonstrated..
Err, Winnipeg has record highs for 5 months (May-September) in the 100s. Toronto has three (July-Sept).

Even Edmonton, at 53N, has reached 99F (though Moscow - similarly a long way from the softening effects of the ocean on temperature is at 55N and has gone over 100F).
Isn't Canada officially using Celsius?

ftballfan

Quote from: ghYHZ on July 03, 2018, 05:46:38 AM
I was watching NBC News last evening and correspondent Stephanie Gosk....reporting on the heat wave made the comment that Burlington Vermont reached 90 deg and only 50 miles from the Canadian Border!

Wow!.....Imagine That! How could it possibly get that warm in Burlington so close to Canada!  And looking at the weather map NBC presented.....those soaring temps just stopped at the Canadian Border. Guess it's just a big arctic wasteland above!

I'm in Fredericton, New Brunswick today.... also 50 miles from the Border. Today's high is 32 with a humidex of 41 and in case you're wondering....that's 90 with a "˜feel like' temp of 105.   

Alpena, MI, which is at a higher latitude than Burlington, VT, hit 99 degrees on Saturday. Also, the Toronto Blue Jays played their weekend series with the roof closed due to the heat.

empirestate

Where is the northernmost recorded temperature of 100 degrees or more?

kalvado

Quote from: empirestate on July 03, 2018, 10:00:38 AM
Fort McMurray shows a record of 103F, 60 deg north. Fort Yukon, AK shows 100 as a record - 66.5 N
I doubt you'll find anything further north in Europe  or Russia .

abefroman329

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on June 24, 2018, 04:58:25 PM
Already in the first page I mentioned Virginia reaches further West than West Virginia. Now I've found the Republic of Ireland reaches further North than Northern Ireland.

Yeah, "Northern Ireland" is a bit of a misnomer - it's more like Northeastern Ireland.  And the Donegal and Northern Ireland accents are indistinguishable to my ears.

Chris

Quote from: kalvado on July 03, 2018, 11:21:23 AM
Quote from: empirestate on July 03, 2018, 10:00:38 AM
Fort McMurray shows a record of 103F, 60 deg north. Fort Yukon, AK shows 100 as a record - 66.5 N
I doubt you'll find anything further north in Europe  or Russia .

That would correspond with the latitude of northern Scandinavia. The highest I found is some 34.5 C  / 94 F in Gällivare and Jokkmokk, Sweden, which is at 67 N.

It's interesting how far north 30+ C has been recorded though, even in Finnmark as far north as 70 N.

mapman1071

Quote from: kalvado on July 03, 2018, 09:20:39 AM
Quote from: english si on July 03, 2018, 08:33:41 AM
Quote from: kalvado on July 03, 2018, 06:48:36 AMSecond... You'll never see three digit heat in Canada, as you just demonstrated..
Err, Winnipeg has record highs for 5 months (May-September) in the 100s. Toronto has three (July-Sept).

Even Edmonton, at 53N, has reached 99F (though Moscow - similarly a long way from the softening effects of the ocean on temperature is at 55N and has gone over 100F).
Isn't Canada officially using Celsius?
100c (212F) would be boiling!

Road Hog

The warmest temperature ever recorded at the North Pole was 55ºF. Perfect football weather.

bing101

english si

Quote from: kalvado on July 03, 2018, 11:21:23 AMI doubt you'll find anything further north in Europe  or Russia .
Why the dichotomy between Europe and Russia? Now sure, there's Asian Russia (which is the only part of Asia at the latitudes we're talking about), but...
Quote from: abefroman329 on July 03, 2018, 11:44:57 AMYeah, "Northern Ireland" is a bit of a misnomer - it's more like Northeastern Ireland.  And the Donegal and Northern Ireland accents are indistinguishable to my ears.
Well both are Ulster (which is why NI couldn't be called that), though there are a few different sub-accents* within that, though none of them give two hoots about the 1922-boundary (save the patch of Ulster Scots around Letterkenny in Donegal not crossing the border into the Derry/Strabane areas) and so there's little difference at the border.

*And the question of whether you can spot the Belfast vowel shifts, or Derry intonation, is moot.

kalvado

Quote from: english si on July 15, 2018, 04:06:14 AM
Quote from: kalvado on July 03, 2018, 11:21:23 AMI doubt you'll find anything further north in Europe  or Russia .
Why the dichotomy between Europe and Russia? Now sure, there's Asian Russia (which is the only part of Asia at the latitudes we're talking about), but...
How would you say that instead, without going into a laundry list of countries - or putting everything into "Eurasia" bin?
Thing is, there is some pretty geographic dichotomy here: Europe heated by Gulf stream and colder asian part, russian shore of the arctic ocean. Of course there is a transition region- Barents and White seas
What I really don't understand is why there are higher temperatures in continental US/Canada (and try to say that without using country names as well) . Looks like effect of polar vortex shape; jetstream can deviate further north over there, allowing warm air in.

english si

"Eurasia" is fine. "Europe or Asia" is also good even though the only bit of Asia we're talking about is Russian. "Europe or Siberia" will do too.

TBF to you, I'm reacting from a context different from yours, where Slavs (especially Russians) are othered as not 'European' with the idea that that 'European' = superior (leading to a "we're not racist - Slavs are white and we hate them for the same reasons") and that being seen as woke and liberal - part of it is politics (Putin), but most of it is just prejudice and hate masquerading as the non-bigoted option.

kalvado

Quote from: english si on July 15, 2018, 11:36:39 AM
"Eurasia" is fine. "Europe or Asia" is also good even though the only bit of Asia we're talking about is Russian. "Europe or Siberia" will do too.

TBF to you, I'm reacting from a context different from yours, where Slavs (especially Russians) are othered as not 'European' with the idea that that 'European' = superior (leading to a "we're not racist - Slavs are white and we hate them for the same reasons") and that being seen as woke and liberal - part of it is politics (Putin), but most of it is just prejudice and hate masquerading as the non-bigoted option.
I am not going to explain you why, but I find this tirade extremely funny...

Chris

Montevideo is farther south than Buenos Aires, making it the southernmost capital in South America.

From a glance it appears that Buenos Aires is the farthest south, since it is south of the Río de la Plata while Montevideo is north of it.

Also: Bolivia has a navy despite not being on any ocean.

Another interesting comparison. Antarctica is at the opposite latitude of Trondheim, Norway (63.15 S / N)

KEVIN_224

jon daly

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but RI borders NY.

bing101

bing101

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyuZi9fHC4Y

Here is how Chicago got some geographical advantages to be a large city.

GaryV

Maybe they should tell them the Illinois River isn't in Chicago.

ET21

Quote from: GaryV on August 18, 2018, 05:58:28 AM

It turns into the Des Plaines River, which connects to the I&M Canal which leads into the Chicago River. The Illinois River name does end just south of Channahon IL
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

GaryV

Quote from: ET21 on August 20, 2018, 10:03:30 AM

It turns into the Des Plaines River, which connects to the I&M Canal which leads into the Chicago River. The Illinois River name does end just south of Channahon IL

But until they dug the sewage canal, they didn't even touch.

ET21

Quote from: GaryV on August 20, 2018, 06:21:34 PM

Quite true. If we really want to get technical, it does enter Chicago briefly as the river goes underneath I-190 and the Blue Line tracks. But yes, until the canal was built, the river never went all the way into downtown Chicago proper.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

mrsman

Quote from: ET21 on August 21, 2018, 08:54:46 AM
Quote from: GaryV on August 20, 2018, 06:21:34 PM

Quite true. If we really want to get technical, it does enter Chicago briefly as the river goes underneath I-190 and the Blue Line tracks. But yes, until the canal was built, the river never went all the way into downtown Chicago proper.

The Des Plaines River and the Chicago River do come close.  Before the canal was built, they could carry items a short distance between boats on the two different rivers.  The canal eliminated the need for this and made shipping quicker.

tchafe1978

The canal was also built with the purpose of allowing Chicago to reverse the flow of the Chicago River and flush the city's sewage down the Illinois River to the Mississippi.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.