News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Bridges with split maintenance ownership

Started by SteveG1988, January 24, 2016, 03:25:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveG1988

This is where the maintenance of a bridge is divided between two entities.

PA turnpike and the NJ Turnpike, the current bridge has modern LED style lighting up to the mid span on the PA side, once you cross the center line into New Jersey the lighting returns to sodium vapor. at one time there was a major shift in deck quality between the two states as NJ lagged on repaving.

Are there any other examples like this?
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

froggie

The new Woodrow Wilson Bridge is owned jointly between VDOT and Maryland SHA (State Highway Administration).  I've seen crews from both agencies working on the bridge, though not at the same time.

peterj920

There are 14 bridges (one more under construction) between Wisconsin and Minnesota that split maintenance costs.  The agencies alternate between who takes lead responsibility in maintenance.  Between Superior-Duluth, MNDOT is in charge of the Blatnik Bridge (I-535) and WISDOT is in charge of the Bong Bridge (US 2).  Evidence of this is by looking at their respective websites where the projects were listed. 

KEVIN_224

I wonder about the Seabees Memorial Bridge over the Connecticut River. It's between Brattleboro, VT and Chesterfield, NH via VT and NH Route 9. I think New Hampshire owns most of the bridge, since the state line is the west shore of the river, not the center of it. The town and state line markers are both on the west (Vermont) side of the bridge.

SteveG1988

Quote from: peterj920 on January 26, 2016, 04:43:24 AM
There are 14 bridges (one more under construction) between Wisconsin and Minnesota that split maintenance costs.  The agencies alternate between who takes lead responsibility in maintenance.  Between Superior-Duluth, MNDOT is in charge of the Blatnik Bridge (I-535) and WISDOT is in charge of the Bong Bridge (US 2).  Evidence of this is by looking at their respective websites where the projects were listed. 

That seems like a sensible way to do it. The Split i meant was where at mid span it suddenly changes deck type and lighting due to one side favoring one set of standards. On the turnpike bridge even the lane markings change standards.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

ibagli

It was gone long before motorized traffic would have used it, but the Datchet Bridge in England was maintained (or not) by Berkshire and Buckinghamshire. The most ridiculous iteration of the bridge was actually two separate bridges that only barely met in the center of the Thames.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.