News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I know that I-85 is being improved....

Started by ReeseFerlautoI74/85, February 25, 2016, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReeseFerlautoI74/85

I-85 continues a widening legacy from NC 73 to Lane Street. But I-77 had its first and last improvements in CLT. No improvements to I-77 all the way to Mount Airy, so Statesville bridges may be in danger of falling off. Could we know why I-77 is not being improved toll-free?
If it is possible to cancel tolls on I-77, general purpose lanes should be the only option! In the words of Kurt Naas, 'complete and delete!'

ReeseFerlautoI74/85

The picture shows I-85 being widened

SM-G360T1

If it is possible to cancel tolls on I-77, general purpose lanes should be the only option! In the words of Kurt Naas, 'complete and delete!'

WashuOtaku

There has been several improvements along I-77 that you may not have noticed.  A big amount of it happened around early 2000s when they rebuilt the roads north of Statesville to the VA state line.  And you probably remember in the last ten years they widen I-77 north of Uptown to Huntersville, from four-lane to six-lane and added HOV lanes along most of it.

But there is no comparison between I-77 and I-85; I-77 is only important in the Charlotte Metro area, I-85 is important for the state of North Carolina.  Why are they adding additional toll lanes on I-77, to help accommodate commuters.  I-85, on the other hand, deals with a lot more through traffic going between Atlanta and Richmond areas, connecting several major cities along its route.  That's the reality of it.

ReeseFerlautoI74/85

Toll lanes do not alleviate but increases congestion and it hinders I-77 improvements for 50 years

WashuOtaku

Quote from: ReeseFerlautoI74/85 on February 25, 2016, 06:48:49 PM
Toll lanes do not alleviate but increases congestion and it hinders I-77 improvements for 50 years

I gave an answer, not my problem if you can not accept it.  Also, did you do any research to come of with that conclusion or is that your opinion?  :bigass:

ReeseFerlautoI74/85

I did some research on HOT lanes and they increase congestion, that is the conclusion

SM-G360T1

The Nature Boy

I-85 connects Charlotte, Greensboro and Raleigh to DC, New York and Boston. It is literally the most important road in the state.

ReeseFerlautoI74/85

85 is very important for me and you as drivers but what about I-95 in North Carolina?

SM-G360T1

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ReeseFerlautoI74/85 on February 26, 2016, 05:16:59 AM
85 is very important for me and you as drivers but what about I-95 in North Carolina?

SM-G360T1

It's important to the drive between the northeast to Florida, but for North Carolina in general, it's a highway they don't have much use for.

Mileage Mike

Another reason, at least when it comes to 77 south of Uptown is the sheer cost of improvements. Widening that section of 77 is going to cost more than any other project in NCDOT history.

85 is definitely far more important but I question some of the other roadway projects NC has built out over improving 77 in the Lake Norman area. Things like building I-73/74 and freeways in low traffic count areas in Eastern NC come to mind.

It looks like that for urban areas tolls are the new name of the game. All freeway improvements other than 85 in the Charlotte area will be tolled.

WashuOtaku

Quote from: Cemajr on February 29, 2016, 11:11:52 PM
Another reason, at least when it comes to 77 south of Uptown is the sheer cost of improvements. Widening that section of 77 is going to cost more than any other project in NCDOT history.

85 is definitely far more important but I question some of the other roadway projects NC has built out over improving 77 in the Lake Norman area. Things like building I-73/74 and freeways in low traffic count areas in Eastern NC come to mind.

It looks like that for urban areas tolls are the new name of the game. All freeway improvements other than 85 in the Charlotte area will be tolled.

Keep in mind that funding for road projects in North Carolina was heavily bent towards rural until they instituted STIP.  Also, just because traffic numbers are low for I-73/I-74 stretch, it's not true on other stretches of it in the Triad and years later it may become just as busy when they are finally connected with their Virgina/South Carolina counterparts.

The toll lanes will remain in the urban areas obviously, like elsewhere in the country.  The toll roads are still selective, with the Monroe Bypass/Connector and the Mid-Curretuck bridge only planned/under construction.

Rothman

Quote from: WashuOtaku on March 02, 2016, 07:18:01 PM
Keep in mind that funding for road projects in North Carolina was heavily bent towards rural until they instituted STIP. 

Huh.  I would have thought money would have been funneled to where the voters are: Cities.  Wonder what the dynamic was there that was going on.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ReeseFerlautoI74/85

WashuOtaku

Quote from: Rothman on March 02, 2016, 11:34:40 PM
Keep in mind that funding for road projects in North Carolina was heavily bent towards rural until they instituted STIP. 
Huh.  I would have thought money would have been funneled to where the voters are: Cities.  Wonder what the dynamic was there that was going on.

Powerful legislators from down east were able to reallocate funds and poke holes in NCDOT planning for years before STIP.  But, that always happens eventually... there is a hard reset and then slowly but surely certain legislators will push for a change here and there.  Already happened last year with the random law pass capping rail transit funds to $500k.

seicer

Pretty much every statement sans Rothman and WashuOtaku needs a:

WashuOtaku

Quote from: Sherman Cahal on March 03, 2016, 07:21:55 PM
Pretty much every statement sans Rothman and WashuOtaku needs a:

Really?

NCDOT: 2016-2025 State Transportation Improvement Program - This is the current plan for the state the next few years.
NCDOT News Release: Governor McCrory Announces New Strategic Mobility Formula to Create More Jobs and Connect People with Opportunities - Announced the switch over from the crappy "Equity Formula" to the current "STIP."
SELC DOT Report 2009 - Explains the former "Equity Formula."

Now I'm only assuming you were wanting to know information about NCDOT funding formula, because you gave no context specifically what you need citation on.

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

slorydn1

Quote from: Rothman on March 02, 2016, 11:34:40 PM

Its an age old problem here in NC. Those of us that don't live in Charlotte accuse the state of funneling all of the money to Charlotte and every time someone sends a dime our way people in the Charlotte area become unglued and wonder why that dime isn't being spent somewhere in the their area instead.

Many years and several governors ago the mandate was laid down that there would be no place in NC that was to be more than 10 miles away from a 4 lane highway. Ever since then the city dwellers who have never had the utter frustration of trying to get to the next town over only to be stuck behind a farm tractor that's doing like 20 mph in a no passing zone have been fighting any road improvement in rural areas as a "boondoggle". And many in the rural areas who don't know what its like to be stuck in rush hour city traffic day after day after day look at all the nice blue lines on the map that both ring and go through the cities wonder why they would need yet another fancy blue line on the map-don't they have too many already?

I believe the truth is actually somewhere closer to the middle, with a
slight bias towards Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, Greensboro and Winston-Salem.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

mvak36

Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

ReeseFerlautoI74/85

Breaking News: Last stretch of I-85 to be widened from Lane Street to US 29/601 Connector! It will link with an existing 8-lane stretch of 85 built 1997 to the early mid 2000s!! But I-77 would still be crumbling if not widened from LKN, Statesville to Mount Airy with 8 GP lanes!

ReeseFerlautoI74/85

Quote from: Cemajr on February 29, 2016, 11:11:52 PM

Some pro toll troll from Animal House said they wanna toll highways

From Concord Telephone, Yadkin Valley

NE2

pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

TravelingBethelite

"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

ReeseFerlautoI74/85

Quote from: NE2 on March 11, 2016, 07:36:11 PM
Toll all freeways.
Are you retarded? Back off you alcoholic! I don't want tolls!

From Concord Telephone, Yadkin Valley

Alps

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.