2016 ML baseball postseason

Started by Desert Man, October 08, 2016, 03:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buck87

Great pitching for the Tribe so far, who now have a 2-0 series lead after a couple of tight low scoring wins.

Buck87

The Indians just became the first team in MLB history to both...

1) win a postseason game while having no pitcher record more than 5 outs
2) win a postseason game using 5 different pitchers through the first 5 innings

This became necessary after starting pitcher Trevor Bauer had to leave the game in the first inning after his pinkie finger, which had 10 stitches in it, began bleeding uncontrollably. Why did he need to have stitches in his pinkie?.....because he sliced it open while repairing a freaking drone during the time between the ALDS and ALCS, resulting in him being moved from the game 2 starting spot into the game 3 starting spot.

Great job by the Tribe to overcome this situation and take a 3-0 lead in the series.

Desert Man

It's not over: the Jays pulled off a win to halted the Indians' transition to the world series. They play again today and let's see whose fortunes are on top. And the Dodgers now have a 2-1 lead vs the Cubs in the NLCS. Clayton Kershaw and the Cubs curse...this will be a difficult road ahead for the Cubs and their fans.
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

cl94

Indians won 3-0. World Series starts Tuesday. Same night as the Cavs' ring ceremony.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Buck87

2016 AL Champions! Great job by Merritt today in his 2nd ever MLB start, as well as the bullpen, anchored by series MVP Andrew Miller.

Gonna be interesting to sit back and see how this NLCS turns out.

CNGL-Leudimin

I'll be rooting for the Indians if the Cubs don't make it for the first time in 71 years. The semifinals (as I call both championship series) are now tied 2-2. Unlike the Cubs, the Indians have the advantage their curse was broken by the Cavs earlier this year.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

cl94

I'm pulling for the Cubs. As a New Yorker, I can't support the Dodgers in any way.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Stephane Dumas

Toronto who lost last years against the Royals and this year against the Indians, I wonder if they are now the new "mistake on the lake"? ;)

Alps

Quote from: cl94 on October 20, 2016, 12:53:52 PM
I'm pulling for the Cubs. As a New Yorker, I can't support the Dodgers in any way.
Well, you're not really of the right generation, but one thing I've learned is that for everyone who felt betrayed by the Dodgers and Giants leaving, there's a New Yorker who stayed with those teams, or one born before the advent of the Mets who chose to follow the former NY team instead of the Yankees. So being a NYer is not really a qualification to hate one of the Cali NL teams.
Incidentally, if you dial back to the era with 3 NY teams, 0 Cali teams, and a lack of expansion, can you really blame them for leaving for those ripe untapped markets?

Duke87

Quote from: Alps on October 20, 2016, 07:00:20 PM
Incidentally, if you dial back to the era with 3 NY teams, 0 Cali teams, and a lack of expansion, can you really blame them for leaving for those ripe untapped markets?

As a business decision, no. However there are a significant number of people out there who object to major league baseball being run as a business, and believe that preservation of tradition should come before profit.

I'm rooting for the Dodgers to go all the way simply because that is the only possible outcome at this point that does not result in the breaking of a curse.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

cl94

Cleveland curse was already broken by the Cavs, so they're in the clear.

CNGL-Leudimin

The cubbies are only one win away from making history! Not only that, they have home advantage.

Today last year it was the Back to the Future day. And indeed there was a sweep involving the Cubs, but instead of them sweeping Miami Gators to clinch their first World Series in 107 years, they were swept by NY Mets in the semifinals (NLCS).

PS: Changed my avatar, temporarily. I'll return to I-41 later.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

cl94

The Cubs won the pennant! The Cubs won the pennant! First time since 1945. A Cubs-Indians series means that one of the 2 longest championship droughts in professional sports will end this year.

amroad17

This is going to be one fun Series.

Prediction:  Cubs in six games.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

74/171FAN

Quote from: amroad17 on October 22, 2016, 11:34:56 PM
Prediction:  Cubs in six games.

I agree based on the Indians starting pitching situation.  I do not think they can recover from Trevor Bauer missing another start due to the stitches on his finger from the drone incident.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

CNGL-Leudimin

For the first time in 71 years (which also means for the first time since NBA first came into existence), Cubs will play in the fall classic. One of the two longest championship droughts will be broken this year (If cubbies win, then the longest active drought will pass over to Cleveland Indians). The longest pennant drought has passed to Washington Nationals, one of the two teams that have yet to make it to the World Series (The other is Seattle Mariners, which coincidentally has now the second longest pennant drought).

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on October 23, 2016, 08:11:02 AM
I saw some articles about the curse of the Billy Goat who had hit the Cubs.
http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/page/playoffs16_CubsIndians5Qs/world-series-questions-chicago-cubs-versus-cleveland-indians
http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/odd-coincidence-creator-of-cubs-curse-died-on-oct-22-cubs-win-pennant-oct-22/

I started watching the game in the 7th inning last night. If I had a shot for every time the announcers mentioned the curse in the final 3 innings, i would probably be dead this morning. They couldn't let it go.

74/171FAN

Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 23, 2016, 09:51:52 AM
I started watching the game in the 7th inning last night. If I had a shot for every time the announcers mentioned the curse in the final 3 innings, i would probably be dead this morning. They couldn't let it go.

Remember that the 8th inning of Game 6 in the 2003 NLCS (after the Steve Bartman incident) was when the Cubs blew that game against the Marlins.  I partially wonder if that was why Joe Maddon replaced Kyle Hendricks with Aroldis Chapman right after the Josh Reddick single.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on October 23, 2016, 09:24:40 AM
For the first time in 71 years (which also means for the first time since NBA first came into existence), Cubs will play in the fall classic. One of the two longest championship droughts will be broken this year (If cubbies win, then the longest active drought will pass over to Cleveland Indians). The longest pennant drought has passed to Washington Nationals, one of the two teams that have yet to make it to the World Series (The other is Seattle Mariners, which coincidentally has now the second longest pennant drought).

Technically, it was one of the ancestors of the NBA, the BAA (Basketball association of America) who was created in 1946, they merged with the NBL (National Basketball league who was created in 1937) in 1949 to became the NBA.

amroad17

Quote from: 74/171FAN on October 23, 2016, 01:53:35 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on October 23, 2016, 09:51:52 AM

Remember that the 8th inning of Game 6 in the 2003 NLCS (after the Steve Bartman incident) was when the Cubs blew that game against the Marlins.  I partially wonder if that was why Joe Maddon replaced Kyle Hendricks with Aroldis Chapman right after the Josh Reddick single.
There were three reasons the Cubs lost that Game 6 against Florida in 2003--and none of it had to do with Steve Bartman...

1.  If Moises Alou had not been so demonstrative about the play, and just went back to left field, the team would have been calmed and went to the task of recording the final two outs of the inning.  His demonstrativeness not only affected the team, but also affected the fans in attendance.
     2.  The real biggest reason--Dusty Baker allowed the pitcher, Mark Prior, to throw over 130 pitches in the game.  He should have pulled him right after the walk to Luis Castillo.  However, in that season, Baker (and the pitching coach) allowed almost all his starters to throw 120-150 pitches per game.
     3.  The unfortunate error by normal sure-handed shortstop Alex Gonzales.  I know errors can happen at any time; it just so happened that this was magnified by what happened prior.  If he made the play correctly, the Cubs would have gotten out of the inning with a double play and up 3-1 or, at the worst, two outs and runners at the corners.

Sure, the foul ball that Bartman (and others) tried to catch started what happened in 2003.  Unfortunately, because of the reasons described above, it led to a Cubs loss in that game and in Game 7.  Even the fans felt doom and gloom come on--even before Prior walked Castillo.  Just watch the 30 for 30 movie "Catching Hell".  The fans who documented this thought only something bad was going to happen--and it did.  OMG, the Curse of the Goat.

I watched that game and always felt the Cubs lost Game 6 because of what the Cubs did or did not do, not because of Steve Bartman. 

Now the Cubs are in the World Series!  They were led there by one of the best managers in baseball today, Joe Maddon, who is three times the manager Dusty Baker is.  He would never let a pitcher throw more than 110 pitches in a game--much less 130+ like the other guy.  He really knows when to pull a pitcher when it is needed.

cl94

Pitch count wasn't a metric a lot of people considered until relatively recently. Granted, pitching in general has changed quite a bit over the past few decades, but that's another story.

That being said, I remember Game 6 in 2003 and I completely agree that Prior should have been pulled much earlier. Granted, some of the same mistakes that happened to the Cubs in 03 happened to the Dodgers. Kershaw choked and the Dodgers offense was miserable.

amroad17

Clayton Kershaw has "choked"/performed miserably in the post-season for most of his career.  He is, IMHO, the Peyton Manning of baseball.  A fantastic regular season pitcher but a mere mortal in the playoffs.

This isn't to say he may be part of a World Series-winning team.  It always seems he tires in the playoffs because he is, with the exception of this year, approaching the 260-inning plus mark.  Nowadays, that is a lot of innings.  Also, because of the Dodgers offense, he is almost always pitching in a 2-1, 3-1, or 3-2 game.  That will not only wear on a pitcher physically, but also mentally.  By the end of the season, he is probably worn out mentally and probably overthinks on how he is to perform out on the mound.  He does fine for five or six innings, but when the seventh comes around, he just starts to pitch badly.

BTW, if the Cubs win the World Series, they should give Steve Bartman at least ten seasons' worth of free passes to Wrigley and have him throw out the first pitch at the game the Cubs raise the World Series Champion banner next year.  Boston "forgave" Bill Buckner; Cubs fans should "forgive" Steve Bartman.

74/171FAN

You have to also remember that the Dodgers bullpen (minus Kenley Jansen) has not been reliable over the years.  That was why Kershaw stayed in Game 1 of the 2014 NLDS a few too many batters than he should have in the 7th inning as a 6-2 Dodgers lead turned into what became a 10-9 Cardinals win.

Stephane Dumas

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.