News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

2016 ML baseball postseason

Started by Desert Man, October 08, 2016, 03:27:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

74/171FAN

Quote from: cl94 on November 01, 2016, 11:42:51 PM
Remember, the last time the Indians were in the World Series (and lost) was the last year there were 2 ties in a single NFL season...

I remember reading that NBC (which had the World Series that year) did not want to air that series as they faced the Marlins so they wanted a four-game sweep.  As we know, that did not happen.   :-D
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on November 02, 2016, 04:56:18 AM
Quote from: Desert Man on November 01, 2016, 11:40:43 PM
As of 8:40pm CA time (11:40pm in Cleveland), the Cubs postponed the Indians' world series championship once again. The score Cubs 9-Tribe 3, so you know game 7 will come...the series intensifies and tomorrow's results will be epic.

4:40 am next day here :sombrero: (Note that DST has already ended here). And I hope the Cubs get to postpone at least one year more the Indians' championship by winning their first one in a century. Once again, I invoke the curse of Rocky Colavito.

If you invoke the curse of Rocky Colavito, should I invoke the Billy Goat curse? ;)

1995hoo

Quote from: cl94 on November 01, 2016, 11:42:51 PM
Remember, the last time the Indians were in the World Series (and lost) was the last year there were 2 ties in a single NFL season...

I think I heard that somewhere before. :biggrin:

Quote from: 1995hoo on October 31, 2016, 07:21:20 PM
The last time there were two ties in a single NFL season, the Indians lost the World Series.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

CNGL-Leudimin

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on November 02, 2016, 06:50:55 AM
If you invoke the curse of Rocky Colavito, should I invoke the Billy Goat curse? ;)

No, that one was broken when Alanland was closed down (I've also said this several times).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

cl94

We're going to extra innings. Would probably be over by now if Lester wasn't pulled.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Max Rockatansky

Just pulled the tarp out.  Well I'm not staying up if this last long....sucks since this has been an awesome game so far.

74/171FAN

The tarp is being taken off.  They plan to restart at 12:15. 

Quote from: cl94 on November 02, 2016, 11:53:08 PM
We're going to extra innings. Would probably be over by now if Lester wasn't pulled.

I still think Kyle Hendricks should have been given at least one more batter in the 5th.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

cl94

Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

cl94

Cubs won the Series 8-6 in Game 7. Longest championship drought is now held by the Indians. What a crazy game.

Max Rockatansky

Well that was a hell of an entertaining series and final game.  Added bonus I get to hear all my cousins in Cleveland complain and whine like they always do.   :-D

Incidentally...weird how not far away from this scene from Back to the Future Part II came from being true:

74/171FAN

World Series MVP goes to Ben Zobrist (also a part of last year's Royals team that also won the WS) who had the GW RBI Double in the 10th.   I would have personally given it to Kris Bryant though.

freebrickproductions

Congrats to the Cubs for breaking their World Series drought!
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

amroad17

Congrats to the Chicago Cubs and all Cubs fans everywhere!!!  This is well-deserving for the fans who have waited a lifetime for this.  It was simply a great game to watch!

I started listening to the game on ESPN on my way home from work in the fifth inning.  I watched it at home (with my son who is not really a sports fan but enjoyed the game himself) from the sixth inning on.  What a game!!!  This will be talked about for years!

I have decided to change my avatar for the next seven days to honor the team that "broke all the curses they have endured."  These players, coaches, and management are going to be folk heroes forever.

Chicago Cubs--2016 World Series Champions!!!
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

CNGL-Leudimin

I knew they would do it. I've also changed my avatar (again). I cannot believe both of my grandfathers spent their entire lives between two Cubs' championships. Anyway, I hope they don't have to wait until 2124 to get another World Series.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Max Rockatansky

So obviously the longest World Series winless streak is the Indians now with their last at 1948.  Interestingly the Cardinals football franchise has them beat with their last NFL championship being back in 1947.

Buck87

Well that was brutal to get so close and fall just short. Though I'm still proud as hell about what this Indians team managed to accomplish. It was quite an amazing feat to get as far a they did after losing their 2nd and 3rd starters right at the end of the year....not to mention having their best hitter out for the whole season. I was just hoping they could at least hold to win the Division title....and they far exceeded any expectations I had.

It's still going to take a while to get over letting this opportunity slip away, but at least the recent championships by the Cavs and Buckeyes have made this at least a little bit easier for me to take.

inkyatari

As a Cubs fan, kudos to the fight you guys put up.  Here's to hoping your drought ends soon.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

CNGL-Leudimin

Now that the MLB season has finally ended (with the Cubs finally getting it after more than a century), it's time to wait until the NFL's Super Bowl and then the March Madness (this year I inadvertidly predicted the champion of the latter).

Alps

Quote from: 74/171FAN on November 03, 2016, 01:11:05 AM
World Series MVP goes to Ben Zobrist (also a part of last year's Royals team that also won the WS) who had the GW RBI Double in the 10th.   I would have personally given it to Kris Bryant though.
Also a part of the Rays' losing team in 2008. How many people get to go to the World Series with 3 different teams?

74/171FAN

Quote from: Alps on November 03, 2016, 10:40:13 PM
Quote from: 74/171FAN on November 03, 2016, 01:11:05 AM
Also a part of the Rays' losing team in 2008. How many people get to go to the World Series with 3 different teams?

Eric Hinske did it in three consecutive years just in the AL East.  (Red Sox in 2007, Rays in 2008, Yankees in 2009)

It gave me hope in 2010 when he was on the Braves as he hit a 2-run HR in the bottom of the 8th against the Giants in Game 3 of the NLDS for a 2-1 lead.  Sadly that day someone named Brooks Conrad could not field a groundball.    :banghead:

epzik8

I'm a bit late here, but YAY CUBS!
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.